• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

danowat

Banned
Days are pretty short.
When you have to collect 24 eggs, milk 24 cows and also have to harvest some crops there is not much else you can do that day.

The point is, you don't HAVE to.

In my opinion that is the whole point the game is attempting to get across, it's a riff on how people enslave themselves to the notion that life has to be trying to cram as much in as you can,you should be doing what you want to do, rather than doing what you feel you have to do.

The game imposes no benefit or loss, there are no penalties, any time pressure or stress is nothing to do with the game or it's time structure, any notion of time being too short is entirely a construct of the players making.

PepperedHam

Reading the Pro issues is really bumming me out. I want to play this so bad. Is there any actual risk to the console's health aside from possibly having to hard reboot/unplug it?

Randam

The point is, you don't HAVE to.
I don't have to reach the bottom of the mines, don't have to reach what ever level in the scull cavern, don't have max out my social skills with every NPC, don't have to complete the community center, but yes, I have to collect my animal products and harvest my crops every day.
In the end, I want to make money, so I should collect and sell my products.

danowat

Banned
I don't have to reach the bottom of the mines, don't have to reach what ever level in the scull cavern, don't have max out my social skills with every NPC, don't have to complete the community center, but yes, I have to collect my animal products and harvest my crops every day.
In the end, I want to make money, so I should collect and sell my products.

You're just reinforcing my point!

What would happen if you only had 6 eggs and 6 milks to collect? it would take you slightly longer to reach an arbitrary figure of money, there are no time constraints as to how long it should take you too earn Xg, the game doesn't end after year X, so what if you only earn 1000g a day as opposed to 1500g?

danowat

Banned
Do I?
Some days, I don't leave my farm because I have so much to do.
And I don't know how often rushed to visit some stores just to find them already closed.
I'm not entirely sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't get it.

You do realise that by imposing all these constructs of time and money pressure you're just doing what the character was trying to get away from?

Do you buy your seeds from Joja mart?

Capsov

The worst thing about this game is going into the mines. All the enemies in
Skull Cavern
make that process feel like a chore. Even with the
lava katana
things still don't die fast enough.

Randam

I'm not entirely sure if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you just don't get it.

You do realise that by imposing all these constructs of time and money pressure you're just doing what the character was trying to get away from?

Do you buy your seeds from Joja mart?
I do get it.
My character maybe does want to get away from all this, but I want to make as much money in as little time as possible.
And also want to do some other things on the side.

Ken Adams

Yikes, I was about to pull the trigger on this today but seeing all the PS4 Pro issues has me hesitating. Am I better off waiting for the patch? What if I just don't use Rest mode? Will that resolve most of the Pro issues?

Wait! The pro won't shut down properly, and you could have issues launching other games. It sadly isn't worth it to play on a pro atm.

ThisOne

Wait! The pro won't shut down properly, and you could have issues launching other games. It sadly isn't worth it to play on a pro atm.
Too late. Bought it, played for about an hour, enjoyed myself, go to turn off the ps4 and it won't turn off. It eventually did but made three beeps in the process :(

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've expanded my wine production to 50 kegs(previously 30 kegs) and maxed out the crop space available in my greenhouse(116 crops instead of 96).

This should net me ~150k every week.

Edit:
Community Center is restored.

New additional goals:
  • Catch every fish(only 4 fish left; 3 from the mines; 1 from crab pots)
  • Ship 15 of each crop
  • Finish the end-game quests

The worst thing about this game is going into the mines. All the enemies in
Skull Cavern
make that process feel like a chore. Even with the
lava katana
things still don't die fast enough.

The
galaxy sword helps a bunch
, as do the Fighter/Brute perks (killing the
spicy boys
in two hits rather than three will make your life way easier), but tbh the best tactic is to chug coffee, place bombs and build staircases to get as deep as you can for that sweet sweet iridium.

I've expanded my wine production to 50 kegs(previously 30 kegs) and maxed out the crop space available in my greenhouse(116 crops instead of 96).

This should net me ~150k every week.

Edit:
Community Center is restored.

New additional goals:
  • Ship 15 of each crop

Have you finished the Yoba forsaken Adventurer's Guild monster slaying quests.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Another bug; the day after the child was born(Xbox One):
screenshot-original40wrofx.png
:/

Have you finished the Yoba forsaken Adventurer's Guild monster slaying quests.

Adding it to my list :)

-------------

Edit:
I experienced my first crash. It happened during the save process.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Sorry for the double post.

Did I already say that I love this game?

---------------

Main goal: Get all achievements.

B-Dex

Too late. Bought it, played for about an hour, enjoyed myself, go to turn off the ps4 and it won't turn off. It eventually did but made three beeps in the process :(

So far I've managed to avoid launching the game. But I really wanna play it and it gets harder each passing day. Please fix asap. The game looks great but not brick my new console great.

I bought this for my wife and she's been playing all the time. We ran into this bug too. There is a way around it, you still get the 3 beeps, but it at least turns off completely and will turn back on with the controller. You have to close the Stardew Valley app, then SHUT DOWN the PS4 instead of putting it into rest mode. Then it will reboot as normal when you turn it back on, and you won't get the message about it shutting down improperly. Hopefully this will be fixed soon so we won't have to keep jumping through these hoops.

ThisOne

I bought this for my wife and she's been playing all the time. We ran into this bug too. There is a way around it, you still get the 3 beeps, but it at least turns off completely and will turn back on with the controller. You have to close the Stardew Valley app, then SHUT DOWN the PS4 instead of putting it into rest mode. Then it will reboot as normal when you turn it back on, and you won't get the message about it shutting down improperly. Hopefully this will be fixed soon so we won't have to keep jumping through these hoops.
Yep, this way still gives you the three beeps but will actually shut down and boot up normally. Those three beeps worry me though. Worried I'm gonna end up with a corrupted save or worse...

Ken Adams

Have you tried to launch any other games after you shutdown your ps4. I'm pretty sure it locks ups other games even after closing the stardew app and turning off the ps4, at least that's what is happening to me.

Fisty

So far I've managed to avoid launching the game. But I really wanna play it and it gets harder each passing day. Please fix asap. The game looks great but not brick my new console great.

I'm still playing daily, don't be discouraged. When you're done playing, do a full power off, it takes a minute or two and you get 3 beeps, but there is no disk check or verification so I don't think there's any risk. It's happened to me at least 20 times but it has not had any effect other than an extra minute waiting for shutdown.

What are some things I should be working on for Winter? I'm already at the bottom of the mines. I don't have the green house yet, so that isn't an option. I'm working on upgrading my watering can and hoe, since im not using them. Ive done some fishing, but i just don't want to potentially miss anything, because I missed some stuff in spring, summer and fall that I regret not knowing more about.

Edit:

Also, how the hell do I get someone's heart to stay? I give them two gifts. They get a heart, then I can't give them another gift because I've given them two. And then the heart goes away?

What are some things I should be working on for Winter? I'm already at the bottom of the mines. I don't have the green house yet, so that isn't an option. I'm working on upgrading my watering can and hoe, since im not using them. Ive done some fishing, but i just don't want to potentially miss anything, because I missed some stuff in spring, summer and fall that I regret not knowing more about.

I'm working on winter as well, and I just used my extra time to make a bunch of money and finish the vault bundle and now I'm working on making more Quality Sprinklers and getting upgrades as possible.

I don't know what's actually optimal but I think I'll be in good shape come spring.

Have you tried to launch any other games after you shutdown your ps4. I'm pretty sure it locks ups other games even after closing the stardew app and turning off the ps4, at least that's what is happening to me.
Yeah I have turned the PS4 back on and started new games and apps just fine. But only after closing Stardew and completely shutting the system down. I'm actually glad to find out it is this game that is causing the problems, for awhile I thought my new PS4 Pro was faulty!

In my SDV trophy list the game is listed for PS4 and Vita on my PS4 UI. Has this been addressed at all? It's not common to have trophies for a game being listed for Vita when it's not on Vita right? Is this a mistake or is it coming later to Sony's handheld?

In my SDV trophy list the game is listed for PS4 and Vita on my PS4 UI. Has this been addressed at all? It's not common to have trophies for a game being listed for Vita when it's not on Vita right? Is this a mistake or is it coming later to Sony's handheld?
I NEED this game on my Vita, I hope its coming soon because I'm holding off on playing it until then.

vix

I regret not upgrading my watering can and hoe during my first winter. Instead I did lots of fishing and mining to get money to build my coop and barn. Oh and I got my kitchen. I was able to finish off some bundles too. I got the minecarts fixed and access to the quarry. I hope to get some more bundles done now that I have a kitchen.

I'm just not sure how I should set up my farm. Like where to put the barn/silo/coop/etc.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Also, how the hell do I get someone's heart to stay? I give them two gifts. They get a heart, then I can't give them another gift because I've given them two. And then the heart goes away?

Did you gave them a gift they like?

I always gave Linus and Leah two good gifts per week and talked to them every day until no dialogue was left. That's how I got them easily to 10 hearts. They never dropped a heart down.

I regret not upgrading my watering can and hoe during my first winter. Instead I did lots of fishing and mining to get money to build my coop and barn. Oh and I got my kitchen. I was able to finish off some bundles too. I got the minecarts fixed and access to the quarry. I hope to get some more bundles done now that I have a kitchen.

I'm just not sure how I should set up my farm. Like where to put the barn/silo/coop/etc.

Which farm did you choose?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone know if the PS4 Pro version of the game has been fixed? Last I heard it was bricking PS4 Pros, or something close, causing tons of crashes, etc.

totowhoa

Banned

I didn't upgrade either but I had 30 quality sprinklers by the time my first winter hit. I'm not sure I'll ever really need to upgrade those items, but I will eventually. About to hit my second spring.

Really loving this game so far. Had my kitchen for a while but I still haven't used it. Is it really worthwhile for much in this game? I have enough health/energy restore items from foraging usually

Time is irrelevant, whether the passage is slow or fast, it doesn't matter, time management is the key.

There is no time pressure, there is nothing to be lost or gained by trying to rush things.

Controls are pretty much identical between PC and console, which seems to generally be a bad thing, performance on XBO is now passable, I still get small hitches every now and then, but nothing like pre-patch, and haven't had a crash since the patch.

I'll echo this sentiment and add that sometimes days even seem too long. Often I can finish the things I want to do by 7 or 8 PM. And then I just chop trees or go fishing. Of course, there is never enough time if you're exploring the mines.

And I wouldn't want to extend the time because it would just mean it takes longer to get to the next season. I feel the seasons last exactly as long as they should.

I will give it a try without the mod and see how things go from there.

I asked because as a big fun of Rune Factory Frontier, there were soooo many things I would like to do in one day, and it would just fly by too fast. Since ALL YOUR CROPS die in winter (at least in that game), I like to spend long times in spring or summer, since there are certain crops you can only cultivate in those seasons (and hey either gives you tons of cash or you can use to cook amazing items to explore dungeons)

vix

Which farm did you choose?
Standard farm.

I didn't upgrade either but I had 30 quality sprinklers by the time my first winter hit. I'm not sure I'll ever really need to upgrade those items, but I will eventually. About to hit my second spring.

Really loving this game so far. Had my kitchen for a while but I still haven't used it. Is it really worthwhile for much in this game? I have enough health/energy restore items from foraging usually
I just started my second spring now. I think next winter I'll upgrade that stuff. Hopefully by then I'll have decent money stocked away. I do need more sprinklers that are better quality.

I like the kitchen since it has a built in storage box in the refrigerator. I can put my food in there. Some of it anyways.

--

Is there a point to building a shed. I thought it was like a chest where you just threw stuff in it but it's bigger. I think I saw it's a building you can go in. So what do you guys use it for, if you even bought it.

Wollan

The hearty recommendations in the Goty thread made me buy this.
Just done with my second play session. This game is great.
Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify now.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Standard farm.

Is there a point to building a shed. I thought it was like a chest where you just threw stuff in it but it's bigger. I think I saw it's a building you can go in. So what do you guys use it for, if you even bought it.

I'd recommend you to put your silos on the left side of the farm; arranged vertically; along that wall; either top left or bottom left.

------------------------------

The shed is like a Tardis. The footprint is 7x3 tiles, but it's bigger on the inside. I use one shed for kegs and preserve jars, and I'm planning to use another shed for Crystalariums to start a diamond production in year 3.

The hearty recommendations in the Goty thread made me buy this.
Just done with my second play session. This game is great.
Listening to the soundtrack on Spotify now.

I'm probably exaggerating, but the winter music sounds like from a Disney movie. My favorite season :)

Well I finally "finished" the game having rebuilt the community center. I was missing the rabbit's foot for what seemed like an eternity. The first 3 seasons were super addicting but thought the game lost its appeal when the first winter hit. Clocked roughly 70 hours and finished at Fall, Year 2. Glad I can put this down and start some new games now!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well I finally "finished" the game having rebuilt the community center. I was missing the rabbit's foot for what seemed like an eternity. The first 3 seasons were super addicting but thought the game lost its appeal when the first winter hit. Clocked roughly 70 hours and finished at Fall, Year 2. Glad I can put this down and start some new games now!

You're hardly done ;) There is so much left to do :D

Retro

It gives you a bunch of space inside with very little taken up outside, which makes it ideal for storage, long-term artisan crafting (kegs and preserves jars) and all the little crafting stations you use often but don't want cluttering up your farm map. That's really about it, though some people decorate them for fun (I've seen some really cool ones on Reddit).

Winter is generally my "Hit the mines / Upgrade the tools" period, but I also sneak in some fishing and a LOT of socializing (which always falls through the cracks during the busy seasons). Plus, if you hoard enough winter foraging items you can crank out winter seeds like crazy and continue farming straight through. Plus the greenhouse, if you've got it.

Generally, I like winter as a nice little breather before the big spring rush hits. If I run out of things to do, I just go to bed early and rush through it... but really, there's ALWAYS something to do in Stardew =p.

Swass

cmon where's that pro patch, this not being able to use standby sucks

This!

Also ran into a bug where if you have a stack of an item that needs to be donated to the museum, once you place the item, then have to put the other back in your inventory, it actually picks up a previously donated item and the game basically freezes as there is no way to put the item back or in your inventory.. and when I tried to exit out to the PS4 menu and close application it wouldn't, nor would it do any system functions, had to cut power to reset..

Also running into a lot of times the background music suddenly stops when a game action sound is performed such as swinging the sword or cutting some shrubs.. quite annoying because I love the music in the game..

vix

I'd recommend you to put your silos on the left side of the farm; arranged vertically; along that wall; either top left or bottom left.

------------------------------

The shed is like a Tardis. The footprint is 7x3 tiles, but it's bigger on the inside. I use one shed for kegs and preserve jars, and I'm planning to use another shed for Crystalariums to start a diamond production in year 3.
Thanks. I have one silo at the moment, pretty sure it's full too so I need to get another one. Never thought to throw them against the wall.

Thanks for the shed tips too. Will definitely keep that in mind. No where near kegs and jars yet but I made myself a little note so I can remember.

It gives you a bunch of space inside with very little taken up outside, which makes it ideal for storage, long-term artisan crafting (kegs and preserves jars) and all the little crafting stations you use often but don't want cluttering up your farm map. That's really about it, though some people decorate them for fun (I've seen some really cool ones on Reddit).
Oh? You can put stuff like the recycling machine in there and what not? Sweet.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Also ran into a bug where if you have a stack of an item that needs to be donated to the museum, once you place the item, then have to put the other back in your inventory, it actually picks up a previously donated item and the game basically freezes as there is no way to put the item back or in your inventory.. and when I tried to exit out to the PS4 menu and close application it wouldn't, nor would it do any system functions, had to cut power to reset..

That happened to me on XB1, or close to that I could still get back to the Xbox menu.

I thought this game was messing with my Pro, glad to hear I'm not going crazy. I noticed rest mode was fucking up and the system was stuck in the orange light zone, until manually powered down.

I wonder how this got past cert.

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
Very curious about this too. Didn't see any acknowledgement of the issue when I Googled it. Really want to play this game but don't want to brick my PRO.

Please see my earlier post in the thread if you're experiencing this issue. We are looking into it, but need some more information. It is not limited to Stardew Valley, and does not affect all PS Pro systems.

Top Bottom