• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Is there a work around for this Pro issue?

Just don't put the system in rest mode, instead use the "Turn off PS4" option to turn off your PS4. I do this everytime I want to play a disc based game and if someone invites me to a party chat.

Dont know if this is a universal issue but the music keeps cutting off when playing.

theDeeDubs

Anyone have trouble with the Polyculture achievement not working? I've checked off every item and checked my menu tab to make sure I've shipped at least 15 of each, and it's not showing as completed in my achievements tab or the actual xbox achievement either.

Parsnip- 45
Green Bean- 16
Cauliflower- 16
Potato- 67
Garlic- 28
Kale- 25
Rhubarb- 19
Melon- 23
Tomato- 15
Blueberry- 2382
Hot Pepper- 113
Wheat- 17
Radish- 15
Red Cabbage- 20
Star Fruit- 15
Corn- 67
Eggplant- 52
Artichoke- 20
Pumpkin- 15
Bok Choy- 21
Yam- 15
Cranberries- 2108
Beet- 24
Amaranth- 21
Hops- 97
Grape- 15
Strawberry- 328
Sweet Gem Berry- 15
Ancient Fruit- 627

I've read conflicting reports to whether the flowers and coffee beans were needed.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Anyone have trouble with the Polyculture achievement not working? I've checked off every item and checked my menu tab to make sure I've shipped at least 15 of each, and it's not showing as completed in my achievements tab or the actual xbox achievement either.

Parsnip- 45
Green Bean- 16
Cauliflower- 16
Potato- 67
Garlic- 28
Kale- 25
Rhubarb- 19
Melon- 23
Tomato- 15
Blueberry- 2382
Hot Pepper- 113
Wheat- 17
Radish- 15
Red Cabbage- 20
Star Fruit- 15
Corn- 67
Eggplant- 52
Artichoke- 20
Pumpkin- 15
Bok Choy- 21
Yam- 15
Cranberries- 2108
Beet- 24
Amaranth- 21
Hops- 97
Grape- 15
Strawberry- 328
Sweet Gem Berry- 15
Ancient Fruit- 627

I've read conflicting reports to whether the flowers and coffee beans were needed.

The crops that must be shipped for the Polyculture achievement do not include flowers, fruit from fruit trees, forage(with the exception of grapes), ancient fruit or sweet gem berries.

------

If I were you I would've shipped more than 15 for every crop.

theDeeDubs

The crops that must be shipped for the Polyculture achievement do not include flowers, fruit from fruit trees, forage(with the exception of grapes), ancient fruit or sweet gem berries.

------

I'm in the process of planting/shipping 24 more of each. I only had one of summer spangle and poppy so we'll see if the wiki is correct because I just shipped about 20 of each of those.

Retro

For people who don't like games like Terraria or Minecraff, how will this play?

I'm bad at micromanaging games.

It's not at all like Terraria or Minecraft; there's no emphasis on exploration or building involved. Any building you do is done by an NPC, you just pick where on your farm you want it and she builds it. Exploration is pretty limited; there's just your farm, a village and some terrain around them (nothing huge, the forest south of your farm is probably the largest and I'd say that's just slightly larger than your farm itself).

There is a mine you go into to get ore and such, but it saves your progress every fifth floor and it's all randomly generated, so it ends up more like a Zelda dungeon (sans puzzles) than anything where you're digging walls and such.

There is some micromanagement in terms of planning where you want to sow your seeds, what seeds you actually want to plant, making sure everything is watered, and then either selling those goods or using them to make artisan goods (i.e. put your milk in a cheese press to make cheese, which sells for more than straight up milk). Making sure your animals are fed and cared for, that sort of thing. That's really about it.

The other big draws are fishing (it's a mini-game, no micromanagement involved), foraging (run around and find stuff), being social with the villagers (mostly just giving them gifts and enjoying little cutscene events as you hit certain thresholds), etc.

It's a VERY laid back game, much moreso than either of those games. You're not on any kind of timer beyond a very loose one (which you can re-trigger any time you want), and while the days are short you're not really under the gun to get EVERYTHING done. Some people enjoy making a huge, finely tuned farm that earns them a ton of money, some people just enjoy playing the various parts of the game, or even just seeing what makes all the villagers tick.

theDeeDubs

------

Turns out it was coffee beans. It wasn't on the list I saw, so I didn't think it counted. Once I shipped 15 of them, I got the achievement.

vix

I seem to be having trouble keeping a good amount of coal around to make stuff with. Any tips for getting coal?

vix

Kill dust sprites in the ice portions of the mines.
Buy wood from Robin and use the charcoal kiln to make coal.
I have the charcoal kiln so I'll give that a go, I kind of forgot I had it. I haven't really been back to the ice part in a while so I'll give that a go too.

Due to overplanting coffee plants I have like 900 coffee beans. I would use them in kegs but it seems way more worth it to make ancient fruit/starfruit/strawberry wine and I don't have enough oak taps to make a ton more kegs.

Any thoughts on what I should do with them?

Due to overplanting coffee plants I have like 900 coffee beans. I would use them in kegs but it seems way more worth it to make ancient fruit/starfruit/strawberry wine and I don't have enough oak taps to make a ton more kegs.

Any thoughts on what I should do with them?

It takes five beans and two hours to brew a cup of coffee, so just, like, after your next set of wine gets done spend a day or two brewing coffee nonstop and you'll burn through quite a few, then resume your wine making.

Retro

Yeah, Coffee's main perk (lol) is that it's fast as hell. Beans regrow every two days, you get 4 beans at once and coffee only spends 2 hours in the keg. Pretty sure it's the most profitable spring / summer crop.

Wine is nice but it takes too long. I prefer a coffee empire.

Yeah, Coffee's main perk (lol) is that it's fast as hell. Beans regrow every two days, you get 4 beans at once and coffee only spends 2 hours in the keg. Pretty sure it's the most profitable spring / summer crop.

Wine is nice but it takes too long. I prefer a coffee empire.

I think my issue, ultimately, is that because I have all my production stuff in a shed (Mayonnaise, Cheese, Wine, Preserves) I forget to put more coffee in in a timely manner. One day I just need to hang around the farm and clean up and mainline coffee production.

I was also having a problem with getting enough hay but I just decided to pay for it. Way easier than waiting on Grass Starters.

Retro

I think my issue, ultimately, is that because I have all my production stuff in a shed (Mayonnaise, Cheese, Wine, Preserves) I forget to put more coffee in in a timely manner. One day I just need to hang around the farm and clean up and mainline coffee production.

I was also having a problem with getting enough hay but I just decided to pay for it. Way easier than waiting on Grass Starters.

Ah, here's what I do. Make one extra keg and put it right outside your shed by the door. Fill all your kegs up inside, then fill the one outside. If the one outside is complete, all the ones inside are done too. I do that for wine / preserves too so I know without looking if everything is done.

As for grass, I tend to leave parts of my farm (mostly around the edges) open and drop grass in them in the spring, then slowly harvest some (but not all) whenever I pass near.

MrFixIt

Please see my earlier post in the thread if you're experiencing this issue. We are looking into it, but need some more information. It is not limited to Stardew Valley, and does not affect all PS Pro systems.
It may be a problem with other games, but that doesn't excuse Stardew. It's still part of the problem! Love the game, wish it wasn't filled with issues!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Argh. I accidentally left this running in Year 1 summer 15-20, and now it's Fall 14. I need someone to tell me this is okay and I can keep playing.

Taffer

Argh. I accidentally left this running in Year 1 summer 15-20, and now it's Fall 14. I need someone to tell me this is okay and I can keep playing.

There's nothing to fail, at worst you've lost some relationship points with people and aren't as rich as you could be. There'll be another summer next year if you're worried about missable crops or fish.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Please see my earlier post in the thread if you're experiencing this issue. We are looking into it, but need some more information. It is not limited to Stardew Valley, and does not affect all PS Pro systems.
I appreciate you for taking the time to address my concerns, however, if there's even a slight chance of this game harming my PS4 Pro, it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I'll try to game if the major issues are ironed out and not before then. It's a shame too, was really looking forward to buying the game and putting in some hours today.

DNAbro

I spent way more time today on this game than I anticipated. Like 7 hours. Game is pretty good. I'm going to romance Alex.

I really want to understand why CA made the results screen not just hang indefinitely until some player input.

Kumquat

I spent way more time today on this game than I anticipated. Like 7 hours. Game is pretty good. I'm going to romance Alex.

Leah and I are about to have a baby.

It was a race between her and Penny but Leah was so cool and easy to talk to that I just had to do it.

ahhh loving this game so far. scratching the HM itch. just started a couple days ago - a little more than halfway through summer. i'm kinda losing goals to strive for though... admittedly I havent spent much time befriending people, a few people with 1 heart, some with 2.... thats it. figure i'll spend time o relationships in year 2.

I have the first house upgrade. a silo. a coop with 4 chickens. level 3 back pack. im on level 55 i think of the mine. have a bunch of the collection stuff done for the community center. axe and pickaxe are level 2.

my current goals: get a barn. then a big coop. CC and mine. will use winter to grow trees for spring - does that work? or should i prioritize another goal?

Retro

will use winter to grow trees for spring - does that work? or should i prioritize another goal?

Fruit Trees take 28 days to grow, regardless of season, so that will absolutely work. You can also plant them in your greenhouse (in places where you usually can't plant crops, check out the wiki), allowing you to have all six tree types active regardless of season.

theDeeDubs

I've spent the last two years devoted only to hunting certain areas for my last museum artifact with no luck :(. Come on RNG gods.  I need another ancient seed artifact for the "Craft Every Item" achievement too, so technically I need two more artifacts. 

*Edit* Complaining on a message board always works! ;) Finally got it.

Retro

When did the game get stale for you guys?

When I had set up a nearly automated farm and had enough money to buy all the stuff added in the latest update. I'm not an achievement hunter or completionist so some stuff like catching every fish or hitting max hearts with all the villagers doesn't mean much to me.

I do poke at it every now and then, it's very relaxing

Usually it's Spring 2 because if you make it through winter you're probably psyched to get back to planting (and putting all those iridium sprinklers to good use), but then spring crops are kinda lame for money, even if you have a field full of strawberries ready to go from the first day, so you hit the wall where the feedback loop isn't powerful enough to keep going.

It was different for my PS4 playthrough because I got an ancient fruit really early and managed to get a pretty big field of that planted at the beginning of year 2, but even then I only made it to about halfway through the second summer.

Does anybody play this with a mod that slows down the in-game clock?

I played a little bit of the game months ago but never got into it properly beyond the early tutorial stuff. I've since watched a few hours of people playing it and I love the gameplay and how packed the world is with things to do and collect. The only thing that is putting me off is the speed of the day cycle. I could only enjoy playing a game like this if it was slowed down a LOT.

The only thing that is putting me off is the speed of the day cycle. I could only enjoy playing a game like this if it was slowed down a LOT.

but the whole point of the game is to manage everything within the given time limit?!!? thats where the challenge is and why its a game.

but the whole point of the game is to manage everything within the given time limit?!!? thats where the challenge is and why its a game.

That doesn't appeal to me, I like taking my time. Time management under pressure feels too much like real life work, a chore. This game looks densely packed with stuff to do and people to interact with and lots of charm...but on the streams I've watched thats all wasted because they are breathlessly running around trying to do as much as possible to beat the clock.

Giever

That doesn't appeal to me, I like taking my time. Time management under pressure feels too much like real life work, a chore. This game looks densely packed with stuff to do and people to interact with and lots of charm...but on the streams I've watched thats all wasted because they are breathlessly running around trying to do as much as possible to beat the clock.

You don't have to play it that way, though. Making optimal use of a day (or every day) is completely unnecessary. Heck, you could fish for an entire season and do nothing else (or even just sleep) and it'd be fine. There's no hard limit to getting anything done, and it's not like you have to pay rent on your farmhouse.

B-Dex

I finally caved and risked playing it on my pro. And of course I went for the easy to gift drunk at the saloon. Maxed out his hearts now and the overall story arc of his is cute. But I almost dropped him for the jock. Almost....

madmackem

Yeah this just fucked with my pro, I'm sure I turned it fully of yet it got stuck in the flashing light and had to power it down by pulling the plug, fix your shit ffs.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I was getting more hooked on this. I'm 8 1/2-9 hours in and struggle to play more than 2 or 3 days at a time as I get bored.

Oh well, it was only $10 and it is relaxing so I'll probably keep popping in periodically so I'll get my money's worth despite not getting hooked like many.

You can earn a ton of shortcuts.

Railway tracks, a horse, teleportation totems around the map. All of these significantly cut down on traveling around town

yonder

I got way more into the game when I decided to prioritize things and ignore some stuff I didn't care about. I tried to do a bit of everything to start with, but that got hectic real quick. Right now I'm focusing almost exclusively on building a wine farm and I don't care if I miss birthdays, fishing and such; I can get to those when I feel good about my farm.

I've been getting a little bored with my first winter. I'm almost through it, but I haven't been playing as much. But for winter I have been doing a lot of fishing and working on relationships. Just got four hearts with the wizard.

Gator86

My pro is having constant issues now, even after uninstalling. Even though, I only paid like 12 bucks, I'm going to try and get a refund from Sony. Fucking awful.

If you have a pro, do not buy this garbage

Top Bottom