• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blades of Time.

Added. GTX 770 is niiice. It's what I'm running. I'll come back with a rec:

Arkham City is impressive at max settings. I swear I'm well over 60fps.
Hard to see your games, web browser is sucking wind at the moment. Or Steam is.

--

Potential keys someone can use, not sure if they're taken, so I'm not going to bother with modbot. Quote to see:

Gish
Humble indie bundle 2
Cortex Command

I was thinking borderlands 2 maxed out. I'm upgrading from my 560 Ti which I feel is on its way out. I'm looking forward to the power of my 770!

Thanks for the Cortex Command Key too.

Fallout: New Vegas with mods.

I've not yet modded FNV, any recommendations on mods?

MRORANGE

Seems a bit weird that vita games are getting ported to PC, I know the development costs and everything is lower but you would assume the PS3 would be the first choice.

yuraya

The Repopulation!!!

xD
H4883La.gif

Been following that game for over a year now finally they make some noise on steam.

Grief.exe

Just pre-ordered Ass Creed VITA today. Will pre-order Batman VITA when it hits steam.

VITA means pointless existence.

Just picked up Persona 4 for PS2 at Gamestop today for cheap. Saved me a significant amount of money on a Vita right there.

I was thinking borderlands 2 maxed out. I'm upgrading from my 560 Ti which I feel is on its way out. I'm looking forward to the power of my 770!

The 770 won't wake you up from the gameplay-induced coma.

Seems a bit weird that vita games are getting ported to PC, I know the development costs and everything is lower but you would assume the PS3 would be the first choice.

That title will probably see a PS3/360 port as well, just not announced yet.

Freezard

New Steam update. Some interesting features.

January 7, 2014 - Steam Client Update Released
A new Steam Client update has been released and will be automatically downloaded. The specific changes are listed below.

General

Introducing Steam Family Options , a new way for parents and families to establish access to the Steam features and content they choose.
Added global setting to allow downloads during gameplay, and change the per-app settings to be global/allow/deny.
Added UI for Family Sharing to specify which accounts may play games on authorized computers
Add disk-activity indicator to downloads page, will light up if updates are slowed because Steam is waiting for the local disk to write data
Simplify application name displayed for Steam executable in Windows firewall and crash dialogs
Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting the Steam Client
Fixed canceled recurring subscriptions to remain valid until expired
Fixed current download rate display when downloads are paused/stopped
Fixed regression with downloading optional DLC while the app is running
Fixed crash in game backup code if a user didn't own a mounted depot
Fixed estimated download-time staying blank in the Downloads page
Fixes for Asian text input in the Steam overlay affecting the input state of the game

Big Picture
Add control of per-game update settings under "Links and More" in the Library
Fixed download progress indicator to correctly start at 0%, not 100%
Fixed smooth scrolling in some panels to not jitter backwards before continuing to correct scroll offset
Fixed Steam Controller bindings left browse column to scroll correctly as focus moves off screen
Most notification toasts should now respond to pressing the guide button or clicking on the notification
Modal dialogs should now close when clicking outside of the dialog
Fix estimated download time remaining string getting cut off

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It could very well be a PSN and XBLA release also.

Thanks for the Cortex Command Key too.

I've not yet modded FNV, any recommendations on mods?

I don't remember the mods that I installed but there is this thread with recommendations.

MRORANGE

...Okay the sleep is getting me.
Sorry :)

Still, that's quite a number, I know I have months I can play quite a few selection of them but on others it's hard to beat one or two, actually.

Yeah it's a hard target to beat, the thread isn't really about forcing you to play 52 games but playing as many as you can, I know a lot of people will find it hard with RPG's and stuff but it's feasible if you balance what games you will play.

The_Monk

Yeah it's a hard target to beat, the thread isn't really about forcing you to play 52 games but playing as many as you can, I know a lot of people will find it hard with RPG's and stuff but it's feasible if you balance what games you will play.

I agree, and the most important is to have fun. If you do it like a chore it may take the purpose of why you are playing them in the first place.

I like to have some lengthy games with some 4-5 hours long "snack-games" and finally some 7-9 hours length like in December when I finished
Aliens: CM (but it's okay because Turfster also finished it!)

New Steam update. Some interesting features.

It'll be more interesting when they allow me to disable the plague known as big picture mode.

Who says it's not coming there too?
That said, I'm surprised Mirror of Fate HD didn't make it to PC as well as x360/ps3.

Grief.exe

We already talked about this before but Don't Starve actually got trophies for PS4.

Wonder If they will update the Steam version after this.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/dont-starve/trophies/
I hope so, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bother. Many developers seem to have foregone achievements for Steam Cards.

The original justification was that the gameplay in Don't Starve would not be conducive to achievements. Considering Klei's other games have achievements, I would think this to be a genuine instead of just laziness.

I'm sure Sony requires games to release with Trophy support in the first place, so they may not come to PC unless there is overwhelming demand. I know I would have a reason to play through the entire game again if there were achievements.

Who says it's not coming there too?
That said, I'm surprised Mirror of Fate HD didn't make it to PC as well as x360/ps3.

Mirror of Fate HD is coming

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-version-of-castlevania-mirror-of-fate-hd-coming-later-264055.phtml

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Cox has coyly teased the existence of MOF HD PC in much the same way as he did Lords of Shadow PC. It's coming.

Edit: Oh, I forgot that it was formally acknowledged, haha.

Zafir

Finally got round to playing/finishing Gone Home, and I have to say I was a little bit let down.

Sam's story is fine, don't get me wrong, but I just felt like there was a total mismatch between the setting of the game and the story it was telling. Honestly, the the closest thing to matching was Terry's story, but even that was down to his past rather than what happened over the year you were gone. The game does a fantastic job with it's atmosphere around the house, making it seem mysterious and leaving you a bit wary of what will happen next. Probably partly helped by the fact I played it around midnight with headphones on, the thunder/random noises certainly made me jump a few times at first. Yet as you start to unravel more of Sam's story, it's all just lost because her story just the total opposite in it's tone. The supernatural aspects(Alters etc) seem to have been there for no reason as well, apart from something that they seemed to be interested in.

I'd like to see more games go this route of story telling, but at the same time, I don't want it to really follow in Gone Home's footsteps I guess.

Cox has coyly teased the existence of MOF HD PC in much the same way as he did Lords of Shadow PC. It's coming.

Figured.

The original justification was that the gameplay in Don't Starve would not be conducive to achievements. Considering Klei's other games have achievements, I would think this to be a genuine instead of just laziness.

I'm sure Sony requires games to release with Trophy support in the first place, so they may not come to PC unless there is overwhelming demand. I know I would have a reason to play through the entire game again if there were achievements.

Mirror of Fate HD is coming

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-version-of-castlevania-mirror-of-fate-hd-coming-later-264055.phtml

(1) Considering how many people I've seen being vocal about the lack of achievements in Don't Starve, I think it'd be a total dick move to not port the trophy list from PS4 to Steam.
(2) Figured as much. Still holding out hope that Konami will bring Hard Corps.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Finally got round to playing/finishing Gone Home, and I have to say I was a little bit let down.

Sam's story is fine, don't get me wrong, but I just felt like there was a total mismatch between the setting of the game and the story it was telling. Honestly, the the closest thing to matching was Terry's story, but even that was down to his past rather than what happened over the year you were gone. The game does a fantastic job with it's atmosphere around the house, making it seem mysterious and leaving you a bit wary of what will happen next. Probably partly helped by the fact I played it around midnight with headphones on, the thunder/random noises certainly made me jump a few times at first. Yet as you start to unravel more of Sam's story, it's all just lost because her story just the total opposite in it's tone. The supernatural aspects(Alters etc) seem to have been there for no reason as well, apart from something that they seemed to be interested in.

I'd like to see more games go this route of story telling, but at the same time, I don't want it to really follow in Gone Home's footsteps I guess.

I believe that was rather the point. To keep the player expecting something and for lack of a better term, swerve them, with the realisation of
it's just normal family troubles
. In part to help it stand out
amongst a sea of non-combative horror games
as of late.
I personally rather liked the fact that I got engrossed into the story and atmosphere and I was taken that surprise as that's quite rare for me in video games.

So tempted to click on those spoiler lines!

Don't my friend, let the game reveal itself to you at your own pace.

Claire isn't new as it was greenlit not too long ago (and releases sometime this year), thought I might bring it to the attention of a few as its had my attention for the last few months.

The way its been described and looks is essentially a 2D horror game that takes inspiration from Haunting Ground, Alan Wake, and Silent Hill. You play as a girl named Claire, who has a dog companion, who finds herself in a reality that is a nightmarish reflection of our own. Here there are shadowy monsters that must be fought off with light. All through this, Claire herself seems to be changing ages. Of course, no explanation right now, the game isn't out.

Game is confirmed to have branching story paths and endings, multiple difficulties and New Game+, and a panic system (ala Clock Tower or Haunting Ground) that causes visual and audio effects when panicking.

All things I like to hear. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Hmm...is Reus good? Tempted to go for that Humble Bundle X but not sure I care to beat the average currently.

I asked the same question and was told quite plainly that it is not. Long overbearing tutorial, lots of grinding in the poor way, and it takes far too long to get to that of interest for most players.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Bother. Just got done with about two hours worth of Poker Night 2 and it only shows an hour, and it's not the only game that seems to be missing time.

I don't particularly mind, but it would be nice if I could have a near-accurate showing of my play time for the fun of it.

Zafir

I believe that was rather the point. To keep the player expecting something and for lack of a better term, swerve them, with the realisation of
it's just normal family troubles
. In part to help it stand out
amongst a sea of non-combative horror games
as of late.
I personally rather liked the fact that I got engrossed into the story and atmosphere and I was taken that surprise as that's quite rare for me in video games.
Yeah, perhaps. I don't think I appreciated it though.
Partially because I did feel like they did the atmosphere really well, so it kind of felt like a disservice to it that they didn't go anywhere with it.
Bother. Just got done with about two hours worth of Poker Night 2 and it only shows an hour, and it's not the only game that seems to be missing time.

I don't particularly mind, but it would be nice if I could have a near-accurate showing of my play time for the fun of it.
It's bugged, my Gone Home is only showing 0.7 hours on my profile, but I'm pretty sure I was playing it for a good 2hoursish.

I want to know why Terraria is so addicting. For some reason I find the act of mining thing so pleasant that I just do it in my games I keep digging tunnels and more tunnels, I should attempt to defeat the bosses though. And I just discovered that the pickaxes sound annoys my middle brother. *evil laugh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom