• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

wow, this is looking cool. What's that from?

Thunderbolt Fantasy, an 'anime' airing this season. Well, not really.

What is it?
Well, it’s not anime. It’s actually a puppet show using a form of puppetry called Potehi. It’s not stop-motion animation either, the puppetry is filmed and effects are added later to give the action some real intensity. I know this sounds a bit out there but bear with me as I let the PVs do the talking. They illustrate the concept far better than I could ever articulate.
The first episode is about a travelling swordsman becoming embroiled in a local conflict that he’s unable to escape. There’s an emphasis on action which carries the episode as one’s eager to see what kind of crazy fights are next. Urobuchi's a big wuxia nerd and the production company has been making this stuff for years in Taiwan so it should be in great hands.
It's pretty great. Here's a link to the OT.

gelf

honestly i don't think ff7 is too dated. yeah character models are really bad and the translation is kind of rough but honestly i think the game aged pretty well. the characters and story and world and music and all that are still pretty good, probably less impressive than at the time but still the best one on steam.

if you're not against emulators i'd recommend tactics and 6 as games that also aged really well
I still find the pre rendered backgrounds in PS1 era FF absolutely gorgeous and prefer how they look over any later game in the series. Sure they don't upscale well to modern screens but viewed on a CRT, a small screen or with filters I just love them.

Knurek

What's being changed?

Action based combat for one.

Nomura: “Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight thinking strategically."

Wok

Internal Resolution Multiplier - Fixes the default upscaling! I believe 2x is 1:1. Increasing your multiplier will hurt your framerate.

I think 1x is 1:1. Moreover, people might have been reporting a non-existent bug due to the depth-of-field blur. What I read seems to point out that the dof fix is sufficient to remove that feeling of "upscaling". The devs would have used that trick to tackle anti-aliasing.

Chromatic Aberration + Vignetting + Scan Lines Removal - Removes all the post effects some people might find annoying. This one is a matter of taste.

I noticed the scan lines when looking at a few of my screenshots, but I did not notice the vignetting before. Now, I cannot unsee it. It is the black shade at the top corners of the following screenshot.

702C96CBBCC2E8CC683030C6B59853FD1B264605

With the mod, screenshots look a lot cleaner:

Scan lines were pretty annoying already, but vignetting...

I still don't notice the chromatic aberration on the first screenshot.

saw some of the PC version of Mankind Divided from a French Twitch stream that was done this past weekend...seemed like it ran well...didn't think it would be some broken nightmare but I guess it's nice to see it running ok

Nzyme32

Good News!

Grow Up (Sequel to Grow Home), does not use Uplay!

Is there hope for South Park though?
Doubtful

saw some of the PC version of Mankind Divided from a French Twitch stream that was done this past weekend...seemed like it ran well...didn't think it would be some broken nightmare but I guess it's nice to see it running ok

Only issues I have seen thus far are the wonky controller centric movement system when in cover, and the black screen prior to every takedown animation that is really jarring. The framerate issues PC gamer reported do not seem to be present, and the usual keyboard friendly UI is available when using mouse and keyboard.

Pachimari

I started up Mafia II today and it's so great! Although, did the latest patch remove the Playboy magazines, or was it only some licensed music they got rid of when they put the game back on Steam?

Nzyme32

I started up Mafia II today and it's so great! Although, did the latest patch remove the Playboy magazines, or was it only some licensed music they got rid of when they put the game back on Steam?

I don't think they actually changed anything. Everything is still there last I checked. What they did do was change up the way the game is sold. They did a collection things for it on Steam where you can actually get everything. I think one of the dlc used to be Japan only or something

Grow Home didn't use it, so that makes sense.

Yeah, but you know Ubi. South Park didn't use it, but that was more in transfer from THQ I'd guess.

Pachimari

I don't think they actually changed anything. Everything is still there last I checked. What they did do was change up the way the game is sold. They did a collection things for it on Steam where you can actually get everything. I think one of the dlc used to be Japan only or something.
Oh really? The Japan exclusive DLC is the only one I'm missing damn.

Anyway I started this night and is at Chapter 3. I'm really loving it. Something it has above Mafia I so far is the atmosphere, cityscape, soundtrack and voice acting. I were actually surprised when I heard the Mafia I theme in the radio and Guiseppe's place.

Can the soundtrack be bought anywhere?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of bigzgod, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead: Season 1 -- MB-BABBC996108F47B8 - Taken by Aurablade. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Battlefront II -- MB-61F6D12A177905D8 - Taken by Mikurden. 3 entrants total.
This War of Mine -- MB-8174CD29937EC970 - Taken by gabbo. 33 entrants total.
The Walking Dead: Season 2 -- MB-892BA8A1437A1300 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 13 entrants total.

t1471388328z1.png

Always make sure you have food for winter.
http://www.failbettergames.com/zubmariner-will-be-released-on-11-october-2016/

Zubmariner will be available for $10.99 (or £7.99 in the UK), on Humble, GoG and Steam. It is free to anyone who bought Sunless Sea in Early Access.

will be a nice lead in to civ 6
Awesome! Can't wait.

I kinda... set Sunless Sea down and never returned to it. You really need to be in the proper mood for it, due to how thick with atmosphere it is. I regret this, because the writing is some of the best I've ever experienced in a game.

This is my chance to correct my mistake.
Hi steamgaf, i think i have some problems with Civ V after upgrading my OS to Win10. Starting in any directX-modus (9,10,11) i just get the exe windowed with a wrong resolution.

Should i reinstall civ? My video drivers are the latest.

Maybe someone had similar issues and can help out. Steam-comunnity has too many diverse issues on discussion. Thanks in advance.
Hopefully I'm not too late on this.

No need to reinstall Civ5--verifying it through Steam (Civ5 properties > local content > verify, IIRC) will do the same thing as reinstalling.

The issue is likely just due to a nuked settings file. Like, I checked on my copy of Civ5 (having also upgraded to W10 recently) and found my graphics settings were gone. So just change the settings to what you want in-game, apply, and you should be good. If it keeps going windowed, or you can't reach it for some reason, remove the settings file in your My Documents area (My Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization V). So rename GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini (the DX9/10 one might have a different name) and UserSettings.ini--they should be regenerated as new when you relaunch Civ5.

If this for any reason causes issues, just verify Civ5 again or give those files their original names (overwriting whatever is there).
XenoVerse 2 went up $15 this morning in Canada to $69.99

Fuck Banco, that's not even exchange rate, that's $5 more

Well... at least you gave us a heads up. Thanks for that.

I got it at a fair price.

They also added the deluxe edition to the store, now. CDN$100! A steal.

So Pre-orderers get:

And Digital Deluxe people get:
Edit: Yes, apparently you get PS4 stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
I still find the pre rendered backgrounds in PS1 era FF absolutely gorgeous and prefer how they look over any later game in the series. Sure they don't upscale well to modern screens but viewed on a CRT, a small screen or with filters I just love them.
yeah, i can understand them looking pretty grungy and low res but i think the art design and the scale and all of that fun stuff remains in a way that's still relevant

Anyway I started this night and is at Chapter 3. I'm really loving it. Something it has above Mafia I so far is the atmosphere, cityscape, soundtrack and voice acting. I were actually surprised when I heard the Mafia I theme in the radio and Guiseppe's place.

OST is included in the Digital Deluxe Edition

Digital Deluxe Edition

Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Nzyme32

Does your CPU have a graphics chip? If yes use that and remove the big card to eliminate one potential source. Someone mentioned something about his sound(card) creating buzzing. Also maybe mentioned but how high are the framerates when it's happening? Like beyond 300 or so it's normal for a GPU to make some noise.

Just to let you know, it appears you were right. The tests that go to 230fps up to 370fps+ is where the noise sounds crazy. I can still hear it between 150fps and 230fps, but it is barely audible. More like a kind of rattling. I also found that during similar framerates where only the CPU is being used - no sound at all. So I think I've pinned it on the graphics card reaching those high FPS.

Edit - yeah! tried doom w/ Vulkan

With V-sync 60Hz - no audible weirdness. Perhaps something akin to a very quiet Cricket with the PC at my ear.
At 120fps - Same kind of noise, only a tiny bit louder. still doesn't sound like anything odd
At 200fps - I can definitely hear a noise, but it isn't anything crazy bad.

So that means going up to 250fps is where things start to get weird and 300fps is where it sounds like I'm going to blow up the house.

Well it's nice to know the issue is in fact something kind of normal.

Nzyme32

Don't think so. You can only find them ripped from the game files or the actual tracks in a compilation.

Edit ^^^ oh shit, I'm wrong, had no idea the OST came with the deluxe version

Don't think so. You can only find them ripped from the game files or the actual tracks in a compilation.

Edit ^^^ oh shit, I'm wrong, had no idea the OST came with the deluxe version

there was also a physical version of the OST for Deluxe Edition on consoles (maybe PC too but back then I didn't have a gaming PC so no idea)

1gYb.jpg

Pachimari

Daaamn. I just want the soundtrack digitally on my phone for when I go out, or even for listening to at home. I'll check out my Steam library for a soundtrack tomorrow.

Tellaerin

Nomura: “Regarding the battle speed and tempo, for the sake of a stress-free battle, we want to do something on the level of Dissidia Final Fantasy. As far as the degree of action goes, it’s Dissidia Final Fantasy, then Kingdom Hearts, then Final Fantasy VII Remake. There won’t be any actions that require a technique. By using the new system, we want to do action battles while also being able to fight thinking strategically."

That's... interesting. I don't have any issues with action-based combat as a rule - I really enjoyed the Dissidia games and the battles in Lightning Returns - but I'm not sure how they're going to handle party-based combat like that. Though if they've got Tri-Ace working on it and we end up with Star Ocean-esque battles, I'd be more than okay with that. So this news gets a definite thumbs-sideways from me until we know more details.

Nzyme32

Galak-Z already in dollar tier bundle?
Didn't it just come out?

Fake edit: It's almost 10 months old, fuuck. Where did that year go god damn it.

Yay.

Same thought. The game doesn't look as good as what I seemed to recall from earlier previews. Shame

mp1990

Banned
Oh damn, the Xenoverse 2 price went up for me too, that's a bummer. I wasn't too interested in it at first because I couldn't care less for the franchise, but with it being so cheap I thought it would be a nice distraction and some mindless fun, but with the new price tag I might as well wait for a sale. Goddamnit Bamco :(

rtcn63

VI was partly open-world when open-world wasn't as big of a thing on consoles. I think. I both hated and loved it. You just can't escape Square's love of paid strategy guides.

And fuck the Cultist's tower.

Pachimari

Can someone explain the hacking mini game in Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

So I'm supposed to upload to these nodes, and I take it the clock will start as soon as I make my first move. I can fortify, which will slow down the red line correct? What else is there to know? I see there are different kinds of notes, and that I can pick up items that can help me through hacking?

Corpekata

Banned

So I'm supposed to upload to these nodes, and I take it the clock will start as soon as I make my first move. I can fortify, which will slow down the red line correct? What else is there to know? I see there are different kinds of notes, and that I can pick up items that can help me through hacking?

When you take over a node it tells you a percentage. This is the chance the system will catch you and start the clock, it's not guarenteed when you first move. As you level up your hacking the percent decreases, but nodes also can go up to 4 or 5 so they'll start at like 90 percent, while a 1 will start at like 60. Get to the circle(s), that ends the hack. Cubes are extra items like viruses to use or a bit of extra cash. They are a nice bonus but not worth failing the hack over.

That's the basics of it. Fortifying isn't that worth it unless it's a particularly long one and you're attacking a node and have nothing else to do while it progresses.

There's API nodes that do various things, like make the ones connected to it easier to hack, you can find out what each of them do in the HELP section.

The Nuke virus allows you to take over a node undetected, so use it when you encounter higher number nodes. Stop Worm pauses the clock.

Upload to the nodes that lead to the circle node, which is the end, just try and get there as quickly as possible, there are some nodes that slow down the red line, like spam and some of the nuke things that you pick up in the game. Just find the quickest route and get there before the time runs out. Also fortifying just makes the node harder for the red line to get through, so like if it's behind you fortify the node your on to slow them down.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Note that in some cases it is possible to capture the enemy server (the red tower stack). This immediately ends the hack and captures all the bonus nodes automatically. So use this when you can to get around some of the difficult or lengthy hacks.

Grief.exe

Pity about all the gameplay changes though. :\

Have we seen even have an informed discussion on the direction of the gameplay at this point?

Fake edit: It's almost 10 months old, fuuck. Where did that year go god damn it.

Fuck.

If any FF6 overrated it's 6. Played it recently and didn't see what all the hubbub was about . With 7 I understand at least.

You're crazy Jaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom