• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was observed that 40% of all Steam games (4200 games) have been released in 2016. Suppose you wanted to try to figure out how many of those were good:

Roughly 275 have an 85% userscore or higher
Roughly 320 have 100k players or more (some of these are F2P)
~150 have median playtimes > 20 hours, ~415 have median playtimes > 10 hours

None of these metrics are going to quite capture good games, and all will exclude some good games, and all will probably have some bias against recent releases still finding their footing. But if I had to guess, somewhere between 10 and 20% of all games released on Steam at this point are good, allowing for a reasonably expansive definition of good.

What counts as good is a moving target too. Max and the Magic Marker was well received at the time, as was World of Goo, as was Cloning Clyde. I think none of those titles would get a warm reception today as-is (observe what a jump the second Max game was!). So to some extent, games that are as good as good games used to be now come off as pedestrian.

It's just an option for me when I look at the top sellers summary on the front page. I can choose either see more Top Sellers or Global Top Sellers from there.

Hmm.. I can't seem to find it.
MKNxDBR.png

Was rooting for AssCreed 1 to be honest.

Na, 3 is probably a good introduction to the series and 1 is all sorts of jacked up on the pc,

But it still has games for Windows live which is dead so saving won't work. :\ But maybe there is hope.

The new fig game looks fun. Kind of a medieval SimCity/Stronghold looking city builder/castle defender. Graphics look really nice, too. Already funded with over a month to go and set for ~Q2 next year.

Looks nice. Won't back it though. Wait till it comes out.

Watch Dogs 2 is nowhere to be seen on the first 2 pages of Steam top sellers.

The game's got good reviews from outlets and users. It's also well optimized. Is the release date killed it?

Its number 1 on my list but since no man's Sky is number 2, the list is suspect.

8KZdlQj.png

Lomax

It was observed that 40% of all Steam games (4200 games) have been released in 2016. Suppose you wanted to try to figure out how many of those were good:

None of these metrics are going to quite capture good games, and all will exclude some good games, and all will probably have some bias against recent releases still finding their footing. But if I had to guess, somewhere between 10 and 20% of all games released on Steam at this point are good, allowing for a reasonably expansive definition of good.

What counts as good is a moving target too. Max and the Magic Marker was well received at the time, as was World of Goo, as was Cloning Clyde. I think none of those titles would get a warm reception today as-is (observe what a jump the second Max game was!). So to some extent, games that are as good as good games used to be now come off as pedestrian.

Didn't World of Goo take off originally as a Wii title? I only got it in the original humble bundle, though I still think it's a great game and would hold up if released now. As we've seen from games like Stardew Valley, the top tier indies still get plenty of sales and attention, it's just the mid-tier that has died out. I actually played and beat it from that humble bundle before they ever gave out a Steam key for it.

Teggy

Finished up that messy ending of New Vegas (
sorry to the brotherhood for blowing you up after I spent so long making friends)
. Kind of weird that you kind of have to play the game once in order to know what quests to do/not do in order to not screw up your plot.

Started playing the Sierra Madre dlc - it seems very cool and unique.

Backlogger

I bought one of those newer XB1 controllers that have Bluetooth support and, man, Microsoft really improved the hell out of the design with some subtle changes.

So happy that it can work over bluetooth now so I don't need a dongle.

I bought two of the new Bone controllers last week. One for my laptop and PC and one to complete my 4 controller collection for my Bone.

Teeth

The market has expanded so much and user base so, presumably, varied, the definition of "good" can range even wider that that 10-20%. Subjectivity and all that. The play times and user reviews kind of show how with flat ability to present (equal footing for "shelf space") and overall depressed prices, the notions of "good" come down to self selection.

People will mostly buy what they like and like what they buy.

Didn't World of Goo take off originally as a Wii title? I only got it in the original humble bundle, though I still think it's a great game and would hold up if released now. As we've seen from games like Stardew Valley, the top tier indies still get plenty of sales and attention, it's just the mid-tier that has died out. I actually played and beat it from that humble bundle before they ever gave out a Steam key for it.

World of Goo was one of the BIG THREE in the 'indie revolution' of the seventh gen. World of Goo, Braid, and Castle Crashers were the break out hits that drove a lot of the zeitgeist behind that media push.

zkylon

zkylewd
disho2 1.3 patch doesn't seem to have done much for performance but at 1680x1050 i can hold a 50-60 on medium and that's a world of difference

might play it like that, it just feels so much smoother

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Baron_Calamity, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops The Line THE LINE -- MB-04FD7C77C95A3166 - Taken by CheDominik. 3 entrants total.
Shooting Stars -- MB-6C50432D796E70CC - Taken by dave is ok. 4 entrants total.
LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes -- MB-001EFE3ED3D3EC27 - Taken by texhnolyze. 14 entrants total.
Hidden Mysteries Civil War -- MB-D549D8AE6E6A586C - Taken by Eila. 3 entrants total.
Press X to Not Die -- MB-FDBD0AC9F4DB1C15 - Taken by illusionary. 2 entrants total.

t1480565842z1.png

sadblob

Played some Tales of Symphonia, it seems to work just fine with TSFix and also with the 4K texture pack it looks pretty nice.

My only (minor) problem is that you can't bind the keyboard arrows for movement because that breaks grabbing blocks.

Finished up that messy ending of New Vegas (
sorry to the brotherhood for blowing you up after I spent so long making friends)
. Kind of weird that you kind of have to play the game once in order to know what quests to do/not do in order to not screw up your plot.

Started playing the Sierra Madre dlc - it seems very cool and unique.

i hate that dlc, its easily without a doubt the worst one between fallout 3 and nv. I like the concept and the story for it, but the exploding collar is a complete drag, do yourself a favor and install a mod to remove that pos. Anyway, wait till you get to old world blues, now THAT one is fun, i really like that one.

zkylon

zkylewd
i hate that dlc, its easily without a doubt the worst one between fallout 3 and nv. I like the concept and the story for it, but the exploding collar is a complete drag, do yourself a favor and install a mod to remove that pos. Anyway, wait till you get to old world blues, now THAT one is fun, i really like that one.
i like them all, they're really varied in both content and tone and they're all best at something different and honestly dead money is my favorite, even tho i get what you mean with the collars and the poison and respawning enemies and shit

pislit

My random Steam disconnection problem was fixed by Refreshing Windows 10. Hope this will never happen again.

Popstar

Just noticed you can't even log into Desura anymore.

Still have 18 games on it I don't have anywhere else, although three have recently been added to Steam.

Kudo

When does the Holiday winter sale start? Normally it should last until the beginning of next year right?

So when does the 'Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn' sale start? The Winter Sale should start December 22nd.This thread will be closed after the sale starts.

Yeah, I think it's week or two, there was some leaked dates but I can remember it being quite long.

Durante

I think it should be noted in that game release count discussion that ~800 games released this year are VR-related, and >600 of those are VR-only. That's quite the bump, even at the current rate of releases.

Card Boy

Banned
Really happy Junk Jack is finally on Steam, being wanting it to come to PC's or consoles for years. Does the PC release include all the Junk Jack X content?

BHK3

Banned
So my mouse is slowly dying and newegg still has some sales going on, I use this mouse at the moment, anything good still on sale? I mostly care about durability and comfort, I want it to last more than a year or two.

Drayco21

Republic Commando is still a pretty fantastic game.

Shocked at how well it ran on my garbage laptop too- locked 60 on high settings, despite most stuff from that era not running near as well. Shame we never got a sequel.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh snap:

Now for The Precursors.

Oh man, I can finally own these again after Beamdog stole them from me.

XIvf1CB.png

Ugh, Morningbus, you should trust other platforms, ugh, ugh, oh my stomach hurts from all the barrels I've been bent over.

morningbus

Is The Precursors that insanely open sandbox space game? If so, that can't get to Steam fast enough.

Precursors is the game Sony fans hyped themselves into believing No Man's Sky would be, except done better and 7 years earlier.

morningbus

hjmpoy2.png

GG, Beamdog. Glad your shit is DRM free. If only I was free to download my game.

morningbus

I'm about four-five seconds from taking my fuego takes to a dedicated thread.

zkylon

zkylewd
header.jpg

finished hitman, glad it finished on a high note after the let down of colorado. hokkaido is a pretty cool mission, i actually bothered to try all the different opportunities on the surgery dude on my first run and that was pretty fun, and the whole level and setup was much more along the lines of what i liked about the first few missions

overall i really liked the game, i think most of the levels are very well designed and feel very interactable and the systemic nature of the game feels really good when it works. just silly stuff like creating distractions and throwing guns at the floor to get the ai to freak out is very satisfying, and expanding your disguise "keyring" (which they just plain "un-abstract" in hokkaido) feels awesome. that moment when you have the helmut kruger costume for each level is the best, you're just god and these poor npcs are your helpless victims to play with

i do think for a sequel they're probably gonna have to spice things up somehow, change up the objectives and type of locations and crowds and other stuff. these sandbox are fun but they began to feel very samey and your whole strategy becomes really formulaic, you just go up the costume chain by finding who you can single out and drop a blunt object at

i think in this the format might benefit the game, i bet this content extended over a year might feel a lot less repetitive than blowing through it in a week, specially since u get the elusive targets to change things up. i'm probably not gonna bother much with the escalation stuff and whatnot but i think i'd definitely go for a season 2 on release just to have that season experience. that being said if you wait like 3 months or something and you get colorado for your troubles then yipes

back to dishonored then, i guess!

Oh snap:

Now for The Precursors.
cool, xenus i know has giant spiders in it so i stay clear but if the precursors gets in that'd be cool

i enjoyed what i played of it, it was the right kind of jank and there was so fucking much of it. and it was so stupid ambitious, it's like how did they never felt like that was enough? how many dumb systems must that game have lol, from like quests and gear and shooting weird alien guns and then you know why not just have freaking elite on top of it and you have like spaceships and trading and shit

also it has one of the best intros ever lol

i never tire of that voiceacting

Is The Precursors that insanely open sandbox space game? If so, that can't get to Steam fast enough.
yeah, insane is the word

i bet it held up like crap and it wasn't even that great at the time but you have to respect the insane ambition those crazy russians had

i remember people would recommend to install a mod that added the russian voiceacting (game has no vo in english outside of that intro i posted) just to make it feel like you were surrounded by an alien race speaking in a weird language

that game was nuts lol

Precursors is the game Sony fans hyped themselves into believing No Man's Sky would be, except done better and 7 years earlier.
lmao idk about better

they tried is all i can say

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hooooly shit. DOOM on a 1070 is a whole new game from DOOM on a 770. 144 FPS on Ultra is just AMAAAAAAAAAzing.

And it was already game of the year!

Glad I waited on Arcade Mode until now.

I think it should be noted in that game release count discussion that ~800 games released this year are VR-related, and >600 of those are VR-only. That's quite the bump, even at the current rate of releases.

Sadly a lot of them are shovelware games :(

I could have sworn that there were some people the frequent the STEAM thread that legit got upset at me because I said that Revelator would come out this year on PC... and it's coming out this year on PC. :)

Delicious.

Now they can get mad about the price.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/520440

I think the price wouldnt be an issue, if it would have been released on the same day as the console versions.
I will still buy it, but I can see why people wont buy it fullprice (even with the 20% stacked) because of that.

MadGear

SsY9Sd2.png

gabe this isnt funny

I had the same issue yesterday after playing the game for the first time in months and it scared the shit out of me at first. Oddly enough nothing the FAQ suggested (rebuilding Steam, verifying game cache, ...) worked for me but it fixed itself after an hour or so.

Oh come on. They release a tiny hotfix for Darksiders and my download at 50% gets reset to 0%. How? Oh well ... .

Tizoc

BTW, Atlus ISN'T the only one missing from Steam, there aren't any Level 5 developed games on Steam either right?
Played Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth for 4 hours today, really liking it so far

The Digimon and DQ games need to get on Steam already.

BTW, Atlus ISN'T the only one missing from Steam, there aren't any Level 5 developed games on Steam either right?

The Digimon and DQ games need to get on Steam already.

I dont know. Playing DQ Heroes now, I notice the thing I hate with DQ games. Their whole texts are so slow.
Saving? Need to talk to the church and she will ask you a bazillion times if you are sure whether you wanna save.
Dialogues that go on forever.
Wanna continue? Hey. Let the church girl talk again instead of directly playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom