• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ZmtaJsj.png

Welcome to the July 2015 NeoGAF Steam thread! Slow summer game release schedules won't slow us down.
ogGlkLY.jpg

wQxWFib.png

Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom - jshackles
Coming to Early Access July 7th, Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom promises to deliver an amazing looking RPG experience to the PC, Mac, and Linux. This adventure promises to eventually support a 20+ hour campaign, 5 playable characters, a battle system similar to a fighting game, and even it's own unique language they created for one of the races. The game looks to be a mix between open world gameplay mixed with fluid "traditional Japanese fighting game" style battles. The whole thing will be tied in with a manga you can read to learn more about the game and it's universe. Oh, and the game is absolutely gorgeous looking.

So what are you getting when you buy into the Early Access? Apparently you'll be getting a version of the game that includes a playable version of the story that will be spoiler-free. All of the game mechanics will be in place (and tweaked until launch) so you'll know what you're in for without knowing anything about the full story before it's officially released. By the developer's own account they're about 70% done with the game, so there's still a lot for them to do. The price is also set to increase on launch, so be sure to pick this up if you missed the Kickstarter last year but still want to play the game when it's released and don't want to pay full price.

lBfNpYw.png

Rocket League - iosefe
In simple terms, car soccer, or, "SocCAR". At it's Core, Rocket League is a 4v4 vehicular game of Soccer. But not just any car. No, you get to drive...

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars!

Coincidentally, Rocket league is a PS4/PC sequel for Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, which was originally released as a downloadable title for PS3. though it was a modest release, it gained a cult following for its tight and fun game play. Boost towards the ball, knock it into their goal, which EXPLODES upon scoring. you can even boost into opposing players and make THEM explode.

The game supports Cross-play, so you can team up through matchmaking with your PC and PS4 buddies, or do up to 4 player local split screen, and even take those players Online with you as your own Rocket Team for the Rocket League. Customize your own Rocket Car with HATS! and flags, and skins, and different models to choose from. If you're looking for fast, fun and frantic car soccer action this is the game for you. even if you aren't looking for that, it's still the game for you. If you have Local friends, even better. imagine the four of you sitting on a couch 2v2, trying to score, blowing each other up. we need more local games that promise to be this fun and action packed.

G99DUQ0.png

How to Survive Third Person Standalone - jshackles
Finally, a third person survival game with zombies and crafting that isn't Early Access! How To Survive was originally released in 2013 and was a competent zombie survival game with an isometric viewpoint. The "Third Person Standalone" takes all the elements from the original and lets you play the game with a third person perspective that's become popular in many crafting/survival games lately. While this might look like a quick cash-grab or a gimmick to sell more games, there appears to be quite a bit of work that's gone into this version such as 3D landscapes, new difficulty modes, new challenge modes, and a new "free roaming" mode that includes permadeath.

The story of the game follows the original How To Survive and that's a good thing. You're a survivor who crash lands on an island that's been overrun with zombies, and you've got to use your wits to survive by crafting items from everyday objects found scattered about. While the original had more of a Diablo feel to it with it's isometric view and inventory screens, this game looks to have more a Dead Rising vibe where you're running around the island crafting wacky items and trying to survive while killing zombies. The game also features all of the content that was added in the various How To Survive DLC packs.

The best part is that (unlike most of the recent remastered games) this game is priced at a modest $9.99. If you already own the original How To Survive, you get a whopping 70% discount making the game $3.

5uWiZO9.png

This month we're starting a new section called "You Might Have Missed". These are game recommendations for titles that released on Steam in the previous month but didn't get included in last month's OP. This is a great place to find out about stuff that released last month without much hype, advertising, or prior announcement that GAF members thought were worth sharing. Enjoy!

6fPSRTa.png

The Adventures of Pip - tizoc
The Adventures of Pip is a 2D Platformer that started as a Kickstarter, and finally got released during June 2015. In this 2D Platformer, you control Pip...who is a red square Pixel! He sets out to save the kingdom and its princess from Queen Derezzia who has gained control of the Bitstream. As you progress through the game, Pip gains additional abilities which allow him to tackle the various platforming challenges that must be progressed to finish a stage.

Initially Pip can only jump and hover, with this being his main method of defeating enemies and damaging bosses. Eventually Pip gains the ability to get a pixely humanoid form which has a short range melee attack, can move faster and stick on walls. The only disadvantage to this form is that it is heavier than his Red Pixel form. Pip's final form is a pixelated human form, in this form he mainly gains the ability to attack with a sword which is used to break certain brick walls. Pip can de-rez himself to his previous forms, which will be essential to complete some of the challenges and puzzles to progress in a stage.

The game starts off with simple platforming but later stages offer some well designed challenges as you must switch between forms to complete stages. Finally while the main objective is to finish a stage, each stage has 3 villagers that Pip can rescue, so if you're aiming for that 100% cheevo, etc. def. consider saving them as some might even open up safe short cuts! All in all this is a platformer game that excels in its gameplay, despite it's overally simple visuals, so if you're looking for a 2D platformer in a vein to Shovel Knight def. give this game a chance.

fKy1JAU.png

Her Story - jshackles
This game (if you care to call it that, some don't) seemed to come out of nowhere to become an instant cult classic that's near universally praised. From the creator of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, this mystery game is a throwback to the FMV games of old. You play as an investigator who sits in front of an old computer from the 90s that contains video footage of seven different interviews of a British woman who is looking for help finding her missing husband. The gameplay consists of you navigating the old computer to try to piece together the story of what happened. You'll use your search-engine-prowess to try to figure out the right search terms that will yield the clues you're looking for.

The game is short - around 3 hours or so for most people to complete, but the game is also cheap with a base price of $6. If you're at all interested in the premise or the unique way this game plays out, it's definitely worth checking out.

oU8eFOV.png

LEGO® Jurassic World - jawmuncherC
(nope, just jshackles again)
Love dinosaurs? Of course you do! Love LEGO bricks? Obviously! Last month, TT Games brought the two together in the latest LEGO-franchise-movie-tie-in game that was released on almost every platform imaginable, and thankfully one of those platforms was Steam. Gamers are treated to local co-op, Steam Achievements, cloud saving, and full controller support in this PC release. This game doesn't break the LEGO gameplay mold, but in this case more of the same is welcome. This entry is a charming family-friendly romp through the world of Jurassic Park and it's three sequels including the newest movie: Jurassic World. You can also play as one of 20 LEGO dinosaurs (or make your own) while roaming Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna. If you're a fan of the movies and a fan of Lego, you won't want to miss this game.

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

ymZUPIW.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about.

hfRPttG.jpg

• Steam Support - The place to contact steam if you have a problem with the service.
  • Steam Trading Cards - Gain money by selling cards or craft them for cosmetic items.
  • Add funds to your Steam Wallet - You can also buy gift cards at most major gaming retailers.
  • Steam Mobile - Use Steam while away from the PC. Supports iOS and Android and has been recently updated.
  • Big Picture Mode - Lets you run Steam on your TV in a more convenient manner.
  • Steam Family Sharing - Share your Steam account with family and friends.
  • Steam Community - A hub of what other steam users have created or are discussing.
  • Steam Workshop - A showcase of Mods for games on Steam. Many are free, but some you now have to pay for.
  • Steam Greenlight - Vote for games that want to be on the Steam store.
  • Steam Stats - Check stats for the top 100 most played games on Steam.

TNJTePu.jpg

410axy1.jpg

HqIhxQF.jpg

Previous Threads:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, that really is a lean list, huh.

Yeah there isn't much getting released this month on Steam. Hopefully we'll get a few surprises that pop up out of nowhere though.

Also - Modbot is now attached to this thread.

Mega Man Legacy Collection dropping soon

I know it's coming out in august Capcom always means august when they say summer

jshackles

Mega Man Legacy Collection dropping soon

I know it's coming out in august Capcom always means august when they say summer

My guess: September 15th.

jshackles

is there really nothing coming out this month? damn

There are a few games not mentioned in the OP that might be alright. But I didn't feel like writing absolutely every recommendation this month. We're getting Worms World Party Remastered, Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!, Kings Quest (episode 1), and Legend of Kay Anniversary.

Not a terrible month for gaming

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

Close Your Eyes is coming to Steam later this month, I will post one more thing of keys for anyone who might of missed them at the end of the last thread. I had a few more than I thought I did, though not going to order any more I had decided beforehand.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dusk Golem, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #2 -- MB-69FECCDC9202FED2 - Taken by Jazz573
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #3 -- MB-8D2B124CB39FAD22 - Taken by Copons
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #6 -- MB-6CCC5E48105766CC - Taken by BruteUA
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #7 -- MB-6F0E5D300A1CF6D1 - Taken by MakeshiftChef
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #4 -- MB-7CAFA549C17C55E0 - Taken by Kryptonite
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #5 -- MB-FCF214DED74B35A7 - Taken by Roboleon
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #13 -- MB-FDF594594662EE5C - Taken by electroflame
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #8 -- MB-9424CEC3300FF705 - Taken by Cth
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #9 -- MB-DCA0553A8E2F2BEF - Taken by septicore
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC -- MB-4C6652EC47A41268 - Taken by Black Soma
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #12 -- MB-0006871F5892EC48 - Taken by Oreoleo
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #10 -- MB-795ABB7360F228AD - Taken by Lomax
Close Your Eyes and Goodie Bag DLC #11 -- MB-648352BBDF30A949 - Taken by almostheathen

Working on it right as we speak, seeing how much I can stuff and pace into it before the release date. Game is mainly an experiment, to see if people like or hate it, but working new stuff into it all the same.

My birthday is also on 7-11, ohohoho.

inm8num2

King's Quest is #25 on the top sellers. That seems decent enough, and Activision will definitely promote this game in the coming weeks. Who knows, with a lighter month of releases maybe KQ will be a hit?

Turfster

Aaaand that was the Jake campaign of RE6.
By the end, it's just "let's rip off all the movies we know that were a billion times cooler than this bullshit"

Jawmuncher

oU8eFOV.png

LEGO® Jurassic World - jawmuncherC
(nope, just jshackles again)
Love dinosaurs? Of course you do! Love LEGO bricks? Obviously! Last month, TT Games brought the two together in the latest LEGO-franchise-movie-tie-in game that was released on almost every platform imaginable, and thankfully one of those platforms was Steam. Gamers are treated to local co-op, Steam Achievements, cloud saving, and full controller support in this PC release. This game doesn't break the LEGO gameplay mold, but in this case more of the same is welcome. This entry is a charming family-friendly romp through the world of Jurassic Park and it's three sequels including the newest movie: Jurassic World. You can also play as one of 20 LEGO dinosaurs (or make your own) while roaming Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna. If you're a fan of the movies and a fan of Lego, you won't want to miss this game.

This JawmuncherC is a pretty cool guy.
Cant believe I forgot to recommend it last month and didn't think to do so this month. Glad you got my back on this one. Things would have been different had I been home to see Jurassic world and play this day 1 I tell ya what.

Dusk Golem

Close your Eyes isn't in the featured games

RIP Dusk Golem

-cries rivers-

But seriously, my goal with this game isn't money, I want to experiment in a number of ways, and I'm doing just that. Close Your Eyes is a small time project, but it's fun, so I am mainly interested to see response to it, be it good, bad, mixed, or whatever, and mess around with inner Steam stuff and learn how the inside works, as well as have people play it, and get valuable feedback for the future.

I'm actually thinking the response to the game with my changes and/or the Steam community may be much harsher than it's been elsewhere. I can name a number of flaws the last version of the game had, but it got some surprising praise and very little negative feedback, which I thought was surprising as it was just a quick thing I made in 5 days. Working on it more right now though watch as my new additions ruin it.

Eila

Got my Supreme League of Patriots steam key as well. I already had the first chapter, but more DLC is cool, I guess.

Jawmuncher

At least we have EVO this month.

Unless there's new characters for SFV it's not gonna be cool enough though. Shame that the beta isn't in July for SFV. But the PS4 beta apparently is. You would thing the cross play would be something to try and get working day 1.

Uzzy

Also, Into the Stars looks cool. It's a 3D Space Sim/Roguelike, like FTL but with fancier graphics. Enters early access on the 9th.

Unless there's new characters for SFV it's not gonna be cool enough though. Shame that the beta isn't in July for SFV. But the PS4 beta apparently is. You would thing the cross play would be something to try and get working day 1.

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some character reveals for SFV at EVO. Makes perfect sense for them to reveal some there. Of course, it'll probably be someone rubbish like Ken getting revealed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone actually use Steam Broadcasting? I've been looking for Quiplash games tonight, and found 1 guy on Steam streaming to 6 people, and 3 people on Twitch streaming to dozens each.

Dusk Golem

Does anyone actually use Steam Broadcasting? I've been looking for Quiplash games tonight, and found 1 guy on Steam streaming to 6 people, and 3 people on Twitch streaming to dozens each.

I would use it if the pop-ups didn't pop-up on the screen, actually. XD; I used it for a while, but got to be a nuisance if I was recording stuff.

Jazz573

Reposting since it was on the last page, so I'm not sure if many saw it:

Just wanted to say happy Canada Day to my fellow members of CanadaSteamGAF.

Jawmuncher

Also, Into the Stars looks cool. It's a 3D Space Sim/Roguelike, like FTL but with fancier graphics. Enters early access on the 9th.

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some character reveals for SFV at EVO. Makes perfect sense for them to reveal some there. Of course, it'll probably be someone rubbish like Ken getting revealed.
"Oh shit ken no one thought he would make it in!" Yeah that reveal would be the worst. Since even if he's not in the first wave. He's guaranteed at some point. But true would make sense to at least have 1 reveal there. Not like they have that many events from now until release. Where those sort of announcements always work best. Though it was kind of funny how sad the E3 reveals were. Oh a series main stay and a character no one wanted.....thanks
Also in that other thread people called Juri dumb and aesthetically boring. Like what? But they still agreed she was the best rep from SF4....I suppose the newcomers of SF4 were pretty bad. Outside like C.Viper which if you ask me needs a reworking.
Only time I use it is when someone asks to watch. Apparently I'm more interesting to watch play a game than a YouTuber. But it never fails that they want to watch when I'm grieving for XP, or something else repetitive or mundane which is a bad showcase for the game.

It's still a system hog, you can use OBS or something similar and still keep the game playing well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Did I ever tell you guys about my idea for a holiday that spans the days between Canada Day and American Independence Day called Border Days?

It would exist mostly to sell greeting cards.

Jawmuncher

Did I ever tell you guys about my idea for a holiday that spans the days between Canada Day and American Independence Day called Border Days?

It would exist mostly to sell greeting cards.

I would specifically by only your brand of cards to help pay for your cable bill.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I would specifically by only your brand of cards to help pay for your cable bill.

I only have about 300 dollars of credit left on the account.

I may have to actually pay for it for a few months before my contract is up for renewal.

The horror.

Uzzy

"Oh shit ken no one thought he would make it in!" Yeah that reveal would be the worst. Since even if he's not in the first wave. He's guaranteed at some point. But true would make sense to at least have 1 reveal there. Not like they have that many events from now until release. Where those sort of announcements always work best. Though it was kind of funny how sad the E3 reveals were. Oh a series main stay and a character no one wanted.....thanks
Also in that other thread people called Juri dumb and aesthetically boring. Like what? But they still agreed she was the best rep from SF4....I suppose the newcomers of SF4 were pretty bad. Outside like C.Viper which if you ask me needs a reworking.

Yeah, most of the SF4 newcomers weren't that great. You have the likes of Rufus, Hakan, Abel, El Fuerte and Seth, all of whom I'd like to never have to see or play against again. C.Viper, Juri and Decapre are all great though, and I'd welcome any of them back for SF5. Though I don't really think we'll see Decapre again for a good long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom