• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit... I'm doing the Raedric's Hold mission in Pillars of Eternity...

Got through the castle no problem, then I got to the final fight and wiped in like 5 seconds... How the hell am I supposed to kill all of them? lol

Swig_

If I thought Bastion was light on gameplay (loved the aesthetics and sound, couldn't get into the gameplay..), would I dislike Transistor?

Knurek

Got through the castle no problem, then I got to the final fight and wiped in like 5 seconds... How the hell am I supposed to kill all of them? lol

You need to use the hex of a hex editor.
(Edit the savegame and give MC 200 Might)

Amzin

If I thought Bastion was light on gameplay (loved the aesthetics and sound, couldn't get into the gameplay..), would I dislike Transistor?

I felt the same way about Bastion and loved Transistor BUT, and a big BUT, Transistor is a VERY different type of game. The closest gameplay you could compare it to is really weird tactical RPG combat. You can play it "real time" kinda but that seems terrible to me. It can be very hard and like I said, is kinda weird. But the game itself is gorgeous with the style and music and story again, much like Bastion, so it might be worth a shot if you think it sounds interesting. It seemed like a much more divisive title than Bastion for people.

Li Kao

Lol, since the start of the sale I discovered the pleasure of trimming the fat from one's wishlist and it's fucking addictive. But hey, I had issues with my 600+ items.

Jockey

Neo Member
For Raedric's boss fight I used one character to get their attention and pulled them into the connecting room southwest from the stairs. Then just pile aoe spells on the door way was the only way I completed that mess of a fight.

Just did the 70% extra trade in credit at GameStop and have $100 to burn on steam games. I'll be looking through this thread for the games you guys have bought, because there's waaaay too much great stuff on sale.

v1lla21

Hey guys, I want to get Hollow Knight but I have a couple of games for trade if anyone is interested? I got Dirt Rally, Inside, Undertale, and XCOM 2.

TsuXna

mtujs6i.png

Valve really wants me to go camping

Ascheroth

Here's how to save money on Steam:

1 Pay $30 (or less) for Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
2 Play nothing else.

Best 2/4 player experience since L4D.
My recipe:

1 Buy the Humble Monthly
2 Buy nothing during the sale out of fear that it shows up in the Monthly after the sale.

Bonus: Have so many other Bundle games you still want to play
Bonus 2: Know that 4 more Falcom games release this year which you want to play

Swig_

I felt the same way about Bastion and loved Transistor BUT, and a big BUT, Transistor is a VERY different type of game. The closest gameplay you could compare it to is really weird tactical RPG combat. You can play it "real time" kinda but that seems terrible to me. It can be very hard and like I said, is kinda weird. But the game itself is gorgeous with the style and music and story again, much like Bastion, so it might be worth a shot if you think it sounds interesting. It seemed like a much more divisive title than Bastion for people.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll watch some Let's Play videos and go from there.

Nabs

My recipe:

1 Buy the Humble Monthly
2 Buy nothing during the sale out of fear that it shows up in the Monthly after the sale.

Yeah, I don't buy anything unless I need to play it now. It's Humble Monthly + a few games here and there now.

Burt

My recipe:

1 Buy the Humble Monthly

My recipe:

Make a list of games by price tier

Debate the merit of each game in each tier endlessly

Debate the value of multiple games in one tier vs. a single game in the next one up endlessly

Experience analysis paralysis over dollars and cents that lasts longer than the playtime of the games you're debating

go play pubg

Ascheroth

Yeah, I don't buy anything unless I need to play it now. It's Humble Monthly + a few games here and there now.
This was the first Monthly I bought, because I wanted Dark Souls 2, but even before that it's been mostly bundle games + a few games during sales that I want to play right now + a few new releases.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Mighty Party: Battle and Toads -- MB-56108D57B5949797 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Unforgiving Trials: The Space Crusade -- MB-F95C3C20E9B827C6 - Taken by rainking187

Yeah, that fight is not well designed at fucking all. You need to cheese it by kiting them into the adjacent rooms.

And we're not even talking about Lich King Raedric yet. That guy is super OP.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Did anyone here play the Taiwanese horror-game Detention?

Found out about it's existence through my discovery queue. Never heard of it before but it looks captivating and the steam reviews are quite positive.

Danielsan

Happy to have picked uo Hollow Knight. I'm only a bit over 2 hours in and just got the
dash
, but I'm loving every second so far. The controls are tight, the world is super interesting from the start and the presentation is exceptional.

Arulan

I'm thinking about picking up a JRPG during the sale. I've been looking at Xanadu Next, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, though I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not familiar with Nihon Falcom or the Atelier series, and I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia.

Burt

I'm thinking about picking up a JRPG during the sale. I've been looking at Xanadu Next, Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, though I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not familiar with Nihon Falcom or the Atelier series, and I haven't played a Tales game since Symphonia.

Cosmic Star Heroine over any of those.

Ventara

I would go with Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Though keep in mind it's a 2-part affair, with a 3rd part being a sort of after story. You'll definitely be getting your money's worth and excellent games at that.

If you feel like trying something a little different with a deep alchemy system, Atelier Sophie is the best you'll find on Steam. It's also really good.

Ascheroth

You can't go wrong with any of them, though all of those scratch a different itch:

- Trails for the story, world and characters
- Xanadu Next for the gameplay and atmoshpere (the story is still good tho)
- Atelier Sophie for crafting crafting crafting and comfy non-linear slice-of-lifeness

All of those have great music too.
But Trails is amazing.

Hektor

Did anyone here play the Taiwanese horror-game Detention?

Found out about it's existence through my discovery queue. Never heard of it before but it looks captivating and the steam reviews are quite positive.

It's an amazing 2d silent Hill esque in front of Chinese/Taiwanese history and very highly recommend

Lanrutcon

The same way you beat 99% of the fights in POE: put your party near a choke point, send a ranged character to pull the enemy and then fall back to the choke point, seal it with a tank or two with defensive modes engaged, and then just layer spells/ranged fire on the enemy.

I think there were like, 4 memorable fights in the game where this didn't work due to the enemy stats being over inflated to present the illusion of challenge (hi, dragons) and a handful more where there was no choke point within leashing distance. Everything else, even the expansion, was a sad display of a poor AI that didn't know what the hell to do.

So the sticker quest of getting an achievement lead to me picking a random game I had installed but not yet played in hopes of getting an easy early achievement. Went with:

7 hours later I had finished the game and seen all endings/gotten all achievements.

Anyone who likes point-and-clicks and hasn't played it yet really needs to give it a shot. The post-apocalyptic/only-robots-are-left atmosphere was fantastic, and I was able to get through the whole thing without pulling up a guide. And I'm definitely not a seasoned adventure game player.

Pachimari

So I've started my playthrough of Assassin's Creed II and postponed the one of Spec-Ops, since I'm in the mood for more Assassin's Creed, and the movie Fury failed to get me into a war mood.

The whole premise of AC2 seems very interesting with Ezio and how their family friend betrayed his father, and now him wanting vengeance for what has been done. His outfit is damn cool and very royal too compared to Altair Ibn La'Ahad's outfit, but not sure if I like it better.

Can't wait to learn more about Florence and the people living there. The database will help out a ton for that as well.

StereoVsn

Grandia 2, Final Fantasy X remaster, Tales of (pick a title), Fairy Fencer F would be some other picks. I'd start with Trails in the Sky and/or Grandia 2.

For Strategy JRPG take on things, Valkyria Chronicles would be a great choice.

Leatherface

Thanks to this topic, hidden gems and the thread about Hollow Knight vs. Axiom Verge, I think I wrangled myself up a good haul for this sale. Think I'm done until Thanksgiving. Thanks for helping me choose some great games GAF! Between the summer sale and my purchase in May, I have a TON of awesome games to keep me busy. 😊

VmlOQyl.jpg

Mooreberg

I've been using Amazon's Chrome extension that automatically provides links to any product you are looking at with Amazon's price, and this is working just the same for digital game downloads. I'm doing this because it makes more sense than having a Steam card mailed, and I've got a bunch of Amazon rewards points.

Does anyone know what the delivery mechanism is for games that list "none" rather than Steam for the DRM? I have noticed this with Risen, Grey Matter, and a few other games that have "Games For Windows" branding on the box art. If it is just some web link to download, I'd rather just get them for the same price on Steam. I don't trust that they are truly DRM free like a GOG purchase.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Can't wait to learn more about Florence and the people living there. The database will help out a ton for that as well.
I fucking love the databases in AC games. Being able to read about the famous cities, art and architecture in all of these settings is a wonderful bonus. The writer's clearly have a lot of fun writing the entries.
Seeing them screwing around with history is fun as well.

Combine it with some careful googling and you've got a couple of light history lessons.

It's an amazing 2d silent Hill esque in front of Chinese/Taiwanese history and very highly recommend

A single sentence from a SteamGaffer say's more to me then a dozen Steam Reviews.
Great to hear.

Bought.

Pachimari

I fucking love the databases in AC games. Being able to read about the famous cities, art and architecture in all of these settings is a wonderful bonus. The writer's clearly have a lot of fun writing the entries.
Seeing them screwing around with history is fun as well.

Combine it with some careful googling and you've got a couple of light history lessons.
I love learning about the real world people and the districts and places in the games. I hope I don't mix up the real info with the game lore. Does later games have the database too?

How far are you in AC2?

Tizoc

Thanks to this topic, hidden gems and the thread about Hollow Knight vs. Axiom Verge, I think I wrangled myself up a good haul for this sale. Think I'm done until Thanksgiving. Thanks for helping me choose some great games GAF! Between the summer sale and my purchase in May, I have a TON of awesome games to keep me busy. 😊

VmlOQyl.jpg
You need more Ys and trails in the sky in your life
;)
Unless u already own them in which cas you are golden~

Maxwood

I love learning about the real world people and the districts and places in the games. I hope I don't mix up the real info with the game lore. Does later games have the database too?

How far are you in AC2?

Yeah, Unity and Syndicate have database entries. Lot's of them.

Got a couple of missions down in Sequence 5.

Completed a "Special Edition Exclusive" Temple Lair they later put in the DLC Bonfire of the Vanities.
Palazzo Medici it was called. Jumped to 1479 so I kinda expected it to be story driven but the only narative event that happened was Lorenzo de 'Medici saying thank you and barely anything more for running through his house and leaving bloodstains on the paintings.
Only lasted ten minutes.
Looked pretty, though.

Durante

You can't go wrong with any of them, though all of those scratch a different itch:

- Trails for the story, world and characters
- Xanadu Next for the gameplay and atmoshpere (the story is still good tho)
- Atelier Sophie for crafting crafting crafting and comfy non-linear slice-of-lifeness

All of those have great music too.
But Trails is amazing.
Yeah all of those 3 are great. Very different games, but some of the best JRPGs on Steam right now.

The same way you beat 99% of the fights in POE: put your party near a choke point, send a ranged character to pull the enemy and then fall back to the choke point, seal it with a tank or two with defensive modes engaged, and then just layer spells/ranged fire on the enemy.
You say that like it's a bad thing, when its inherently more interesting (since you actually have to make use of the map layout and strategic positioning) than 90% of RPG battles :p

Also, I think you 99% isn't quite true:
- there are a significant number of fights without a convenient choke point
- there are a significant number of fights with enemies that have ranged attacks which render choke points less effective
- there are a significant number of fights where you simply don't need a choke point, since they are not that challenging and good positioning without a choke point is sufficient

Robiin

Happy to have picked uo Hollow Knight. I'm only a bit over 2 hours in and just got the
dash
, but I'm loving every second so far. The controls are tight, the world is super interesting from the start and the presentation is exceptional.
I'm at three hours and still don't have a dash! Beat one boss and completed some cave I fell into and could not get out of. Got a projectile out of it. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? I heard this game has good movement but I need some moves first!!

Danielsan

I'm at three hours and still don't have a dash! Beat one boss and completed some cave I fell into and could not get out of. Got a projectile out of it. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? I heard this game has good movement but I need some moves first!!
Not sure if you took a wrong turn as I don't think the game is fully linear, but in order to get the dash you have to go to
Greenpath
which is left from the starting map. Once you get the projectile you can get past an enemy that was previously blocking your path (
one of the paths in the long vertical room above where you first meet the cartographer
). Hope that helps. The dash is definitely a game changer.

Robiin

Not sure if you took a wrong turn as I don't think the game is fully linear, but in order to get the dash you have to go to
Greenpath
which is left from the starting map. Once you get the projectile you can get past an enemy that was previously blocking your path (
one of the paths in the long vertical room above where you first meet the cartographer
). Hope that helps. The dash is definitely a game changer.
Yeah I remember that enemy blocking the way but I can't for the life of me remember where he was! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom