• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

xFLo1H7.png

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
how do you master the dodge mechanic? Are you even supposed to be able to time it perfectly every time? It’s such a cool mechanic and I wanna use it more but I am getting punished for miss timing it.

So, is the boss challenge actually hard or do I just suck this much?
It is actually hard when you start out because the game dumps you in there with a heavily upgraded skill tree and explains nothing about what cool stuff you can now do. I opened the skill tree myself and looked at all the skills and then practiced a bit in the combat simulator before going back to the boss after getting my ass handed to me for 20 minutes and that helped a lot.

Also you have a ton of different gear in your inventory, you can customize your build to deal more damage or make parry/dodge easier. The default build you're given is very defensive with a longer shield bar but you're not supposed to stand there and hold block for the boss's entire combo chain anyways, feel free to change your build up to suit your play style!

The game has some pretty noticeable input lag to when you push a button and when Eve does something so if you're coming from the tight and responsive controls of From Software you will need to adjust a bit. Parry and dodge timing requires you press the button a bit earlier than you would in Elden Ring or Sekiro. I've been reading on the Internet about people saying the game controls feel "floaty" or "weighty" and what these people are saying is they notice the input lag but don't know what input lag is. Were I the devs, I would try to tighten up the game's main loop to reduce input lag so players can have more responsive feeling controls but I'm not privy to the game's technical aspects and don't know if the input lag is intentional or fixable.

Last edited:

RPS37

I have the exact same issue, like I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's only an issue in very specific games.
I'm thinking it might have something to do with HGIG not being supported by the TV or something? I have a LG C8 and afaik HGIG isn't supported on it.

Edit: Actually might just have been my dynamic tone mapping setting being on, the games HDR looks more correct now that I turned it off. I usually have have dynamic tone mapping on because the sceeen just gets way too dark unless it's in the middle of the night.
We might be having the same problem. I’m using a C2.

Killer8

I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I wasn't really expecting much but it seems like a pretty solid melding of NieR Automata-like aesthetics and combat mechanics with the feel of a Souls-like. Graphics are really impressive (they actually have cinematic set pieces like Dead Space and Uncharted!) and the balanced graphics mode is just perfect. I wasn't expecting this to look this good at 60fps* but VRR is putting in work.

I ended up pre-ordering just to send a signal to Sony that I want more of this type of game. It also gives me a lot of hope that maybe games like Black Myth and Phantom Blade Zero could turn out okay.

Mossybrew

Yeeeah this game is not for me. Firstly its not one of my favorite genres anyway. Secondly I just couldnt get over how ridiculous it was, this orbital attack and your soldiers are all chicks that look like they are dressed up to go out for a night of dancing in some cyberpunk game. Its just fuckin dumb as hell and I cant get past it.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Have it downloaded but haven't played it yet. Fundamentally though, if Shu played the game in early prototype faze and liked it enough to come back with an offer, then that's more than good enough for me til further notice. In Shu I trust.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
People complaining about some ass and tits but not for dismembering a character. What an ERA we live in.

I just came back from a family fair and nearly every second chick is wearing super tight pussy hugging short booty shorts, but when I am in the privacy of my own home Im meant to feel bad about the character I want to play a video game as.

reinking

Gold Member
I played through the demo. I wish the gameplay was a little more like Nier. It looks great for the type of game it is and other than feeling like the dodge was a tad slow to respond on the button press, I have no complaints. It's just not my kind of game these days. Maybe I will pick it up down the road if I get the itch.

scydrex

Loved the game. Maybe i will preorder it. Combat very good. Graphics good. Music excellent. Design and art is good. I can see myself playing the full game.

Really like the subtle rain drop effect on the screen.
Immediately made me fell like I popped in Metroid Prime.

Just finished the demo, and I have to say, it's really damn good. Like, unexpectedly good. Combat feels heavy enough to give moves weight even if they are fast, and tight enough to make you satisfied when you land a perfect parry/dodge string. It seems linear if you are going to speedrun it, but there are lots of places to branch off and explore. One issue I had was how small the pick ups appear on screen after defeating enemies, but I see there is an option to auto loot items, so it's all good. The final boss in the garage had a nice challenge without making you feel like it was overwhelming, while the "extra" boss was a lot more unforgiving. Overall, this demo was great and I just might be getting it on day 1 because of it. I usually think demos are a bad idea for companies. Seldom ever actually make you want the product. Think of how many demos you have downloaded and then bought said product afterwards solely because of it. Hardly any if we are going to be honest.

This one just joined an elite class and did it.

Nydius

Been playing the shit out of the demo and I’m hooked. Normally I’m pretty shit at parry heavy games but something about this one, at least the demo, really clicked with me and I haven’t been able to get enough.

As a related aside, my wife was watching me play and she asked why they gave Cloud’s sword to Tifa. She may or may not still be high on whatever pain killers she was on at the hospital yesterday. 🤣

RPS37

Well that's the TV setting (minimal processing/lowest input lag) everyone should already be using when playing vidya games, no?
My point exactly. I have noticed the game feeling mad unresponsive though, so I’ll be back after investigatio.

Filben

Also the weeb slop music that was playing the whole time was annoying.
Not a fan of this kind of music either. Boss battles are better, though, with the rock music and I think a little bit of dubstep? Anyways, agree on that one. Right now this is my only complaint though.

Fredrik

Played it, stopped at the parking tower supply camp. How much is left?

Short summary:
Great demo! 9/10

Longer summary…
The visuals are superb, cutscenes are fantastic, the designs too and that goes for characters as well as enemies and bosses and even space crafts. Enemies are animated incredibly well, they really look organic. Makes many or even most AAA games look bad. There is a polish not seen elsewhere, lots of effects not seen in other games, final touches, like how enemies go up in nothing, cool, and all the jiggle is just splendid. The jiggle actually makes the character look more real than any high res texture ever could. The western AAA industry can learn things from this. Stuff move, it’s as important as hair, stop doing static bodies.

Gameplay is okay. The start sprint made it seem shallow and low budget. Was better later but still mid compared the bigger action titles. There is something lacking in the walk and run animations and the platforming is janky and badly animated. Was no fun going from Horizon to this, just looks bad, sorry.

On the ground combat is good though but a bit mashy. Cool Bosses and bigger enemies. I like the octopus thingy, that was new. I was surprised to see the skill tree, it’s big. And having a training room for trying out new skills was awesome, I want that in all games now.

It’s too easy. But it’s a demo, they might’ve lowered the difficulty. Still, I could easily see myself go through it for the presentation, it really is something else than anything the west has given me lately.

In the end, going by the demo I’d say it’s a 7/10 in gameplay and 9.5 in visuals. I would rate it 9 because of the visuals and designs, no Sweet Baby Inc nonsense here. Needs to be a success for the sake of the industry, hoping for 85+ meta but western gaming media will probably rate it lower. Should’ve been on PC from day 1 to reach big numbers and get some Steam CCU headlines. If they make a PC version I’ll buy it to support them no matter what but no console purchase for me.

Top Bottom