• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Muffdraul

I was being sarcastic about banning, hence the “😂” after my comment. I understand where you are coming from, but you initially called the whole game a “Souls like”, and the argument is that people too often call a game with a couple of similar mechanics a Souls like, when Souls likes took some of their mechanics from other games as well. In other words, stop calling every game a Souls like just because a couple of the mechanics are a little similar. People will definitely call you out for it on Gaf.
If you check my original comment, my exact words were it's "too souls-y for me." That was enough to draw gaffer pushback.

Strange that the game registers as Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, but the dialogue doesn't come isolated out of the center channel (like all other current and previous gen games). They're not utilizing sound to the best of their ability.
You should check your setup. It works perfectly for me, center speaker voices, check.

And if you have this problem for multiple games maybe your speaker might be defunct. I had a soundbar before that did do some sound from the center speaker except voices. After replacing it it was perfect. Was a JBL 9.1 set.

Eiknarf

You should check your setup. It works perfectly for me, center speaker voices, check.

And if you have this problem for multiple games maybe your speaker might be defunct. I had a soundbar before that did do some sound from the center speaker except voices. After replacing it it was perfect. Was a JBL 9.1 set.
No
People mentioned it in posts prior

Nothing wrong with my setup

It’s only this game

Last edited:
If you check my original comment, my exact words were it's "too souls-y for me." That was enough to draw gaffer pushback.
I actually see that now, my mistake. I think I actually got my conversations mixed up, as I was arguing about similar things with a more gung-ho poster at the same time. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Luipadre

Strange that the game registers as Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1, but the dialogue doesn't come isolated out of the center channel (like all other current and previous gen games). They're not utilizing sound to the best of their ability.
General audio volume is pretty low aswell imo

No
People mentioned it in posts prior

Nothing wrong with my setup

It’s only this game
Ok that’s strange, you just said you have it with all next gen games and ps4 games but ok. I do the Dolby Atmos output so maybe it’s different for just this game.

See, this is part of the problem - instead of focusing on how tight and focused the gameplay is, the stellar production values etc, we're, once again, putting focus on tits and asses, just the first few pages are full of horny and child-like posts/comments, and while some might say that it's on purpose as to fight the "woke" mob, this isn't the right way.

Game is good, it's a shame that most of its features and/or positives are going to be overshadowed by the usual juvenile drive-by posts and memes all over the internet.

Big fan of vaginas and of the fair sex here, it's just that... drooling over polygon models gets idiotic after a while, it was stupid with the Dead or alive games (played 'em all), it was stupid with the Tomb raider games back in the day (played 'em all), it was stupid with Nier Automata (finished it), it was stupid with Bayonetta etc etc, and it's not about having puritanical "values" either, it's just that, simply put, it's silly (not to mention another word).

And oh, it's not a dig towards your post man, I'm generally speaking about this whole obsession with digital T and A.

Cheers

I agree with this for the most part. I don't think there is anything wrong with the character's sexuality at all. I do think both sides overreact though. One side claims female objectification and screams "boys club" and the other side is busy screaming "tits and ass" and postings gifs of jiggles and panty shots almost as a shot against the woke mob. It's basically an overcorrection from both sides.

Last edited:
What's the combat most like? I've seem comparison to.DMC, sekiro and Modern God of war.

Are you able to air juggle?

You start with basic skills, air attacks and enhanced movements are acquirable. It is its own thing. I would compare it to DMC 3 with the Royalguard style.

Combat feels so much better and varied than GOW. The customization really makes an impact later on.

Zuzu

So, is the boss challenge actually hard or do I just suck this much?

The boss is quite hard. I'm finding him fairly straightforward now but that's because I've fought him a lot of times. Also, the game gives you some new moves in the challenge but I'm not sure if it explains how to use them (like the purple dodge mechanic). You can read how to use that purple dodge in the skill tree in the standard single player part.

Last edited:

skit_data

The soundtrack is fire in the demo. Very wide selection of different sounding stuff. I'm at that point that everything that makes me have an opinion at all (be it good or bad) on the OST in games, makes me appreciate it for what it is.

This one goes hard:

Is it correct that this guy did the OST for Nier Automata? Keichi Okabe?

Really looking forward to hearing the rest of the soundtrack

Aenima

So, is the boss challenge actually hard or do I just suck this much?
Its a bit challenging yes. But after learning his moves, and start parrying his attacks you start dealing big damage.

The bosses also have color coded attacks that let you know what kind of attack his doing. From what i manage to understand:

- Yellow attacks cant be parried, you need to dodge them.
- Red attacks indicate the boss will do a combo, you can parry all his attacks
- Blue attack indicate a deadly blow, you need to use the skill blink to get behind the boss and punish him
- Purple attacks... ???

Using Beta skills can throw the boss of balance and interrupt some of these attacks.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Zuzu

Its a bit challenging yes. But after learning his moves, and start parrying his attacks you start dealing big damage.

The bosses also have color coded attacks that let you know what kind of attack his doing. From what i manage to understand:

- Yellow attacks cant be parried, you need to dodge them.
- Red attacks indicate the boss will do a combo, you can parry all his attacks
- Blue attack indicate a deadly blow, you need to use the skill blink to get behind the boss and punish him
- Purple attacks... ???

Using Beta skills can throw the boss of balance and interrupt some of these attacks.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Purple attacks require you to pull down on the left joystick while pressing the dodge button. Basically the opposite to Blink.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I have to say, in the story who ever organized the operation needs to get fired……it immediately goes horribly wrong and they loose almost half the troop just try to land on earth.

There must have been better way to do this.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Beat the bonus boss after a few tries. Not happy about it mostly because I have yet to learn by reflex what each color means. But it dit it purpose and showed me that there is more complex boss waiting for me. Once again I loved the demo and hope that the full game is really good and get the success it deserves.

Fredrik

Yeah im not waiting for PC for this. Runs really good and looks great at 60fps.
I’ll try it tonight. I’m so tired of double dipping so I’ll be waiting* but having the demo is nice. Looks great!

* waiting sounds depressive but I’m playing Horizon Forbidden West right now, 20 hours in, and soon Ghost of Tsushima comes out and Hellblade 2 and then Shadow of the Erdtree… plus I’m going through FF7RI and started a playthrough of RDR2 as well, and has been going through Hollow Knight and Ori with the kids for awhile now, and still haven’t finished TOTK!… so I think I’ll be busy enough as it is 😅

Said I would retire my PS5 and go PC only but I need to check out this demo. Downloading. Looks phenomenal going by everything I’ve seen so far.
Exactly my situation as well, however after playing the demo today, I can confidently say that the game is not for me and I'll probably retire my PS5 and be PC only from here on out. The game is not bad, it's actually more or less what I expected. I hope it's widely successful and gets lots of sales. I'll probably pick it up on PC when it comes to Steam later. But these types of DmC like games are just not for me. Which leaves me zero reasons to use a PS5.

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Crayon

Yeah I'm confident enough in my buy, here. It's at least a good game, maybe more. And I feel like I've only seen a bit from the demo despite it being pretty long.

This soundtrack is really nice now that I can hear it properly. Watching videos of the oops-early demo didn't make the same impression.

This egregious impudence - stealing here means 1:1 copy without proper repackaging/zero ideas - crept into big budget console games recently. Imagine a case where you steal the neighbor's cat and paint the poor sod in the process, but leave out its head. So it's the neighbor's cat with a pink body. Even the stupidest individual would tell it's Mr. Sausage.

The baffling thing, that this is published by Sony... Well, everything goes to shit :(.

Taking inspiration and blatantly lifting something - and also fucking up the stolen loot - is an entire different thing.

:messenger_poop:: Masteeer, I'm here! Returned from the scavenging mission!
:messenger_poop:: I've collected some diarrhea during my travels. If you want, I can activate it any time you are facing some big, bad, and ugly monster. Just don't take too much time, else I'll explode in your feacy face.
I remember around my area, someone had spray painted a cats feet pink.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People are so starved for an attractive female character they’re going absolutely apeshit over this, lmao. Half my X timeline is people posting images and gifs and dunking on IGN.
You acting as if this the first time we got attractive characters in Asian game….Unicorn Overlord just released recently.
ZWdD2mjkduQVfYPCVMCgnLX_jcU9Dm1M2tEegBJ6i2dAFSwIp1_KonoCGKRU0bQioDnN8vIBinTm=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd-v1-rwa

Last edited:
It's not about the tits, it's not about the ass, it's about pure, genuine hardcore gameplay mechanics coupled with amazeballs production values, God damn, it's been since MGS Rising since I've had THIS much fun screaming at the screen ruuules of naaatureee"take this mothafuckaaaa !".
Yeah but tits and ass though.

• LOL
1) The music in the beginning of the demo is amazing. The music during gameplay in the first level is pure trash..! Like.. Tacky elevator music with some chick singing?

2) Why is everything brown/grey/green? What is this, the Gameboy? Reminds me of Nier Automata and why I never could get into that game. It's hard to make out what's the environment and what's stuff you can interact with.. I'm constantly spamming the scan button.

3) The design, graphics and animation is nice!

4) Not loving the combat, but will try to get into it.

Fredrik

Exactly my situation as well, however after playing the demo today, I can confidently say that the game is not for me and I'll probably retire my PS5 and be PC only from here on out. The game is not bad, it's actually more or less what I expected. I hope it's widely successful and gets lots of sales. I'll probably pick it up on PC when it comes to Steam later. But these types of DmC like games are just not for me. Which leaves me zero reasons to use a PS5.
I’ll post my thoughts once I’m done with the demo. I’m excited just to see some proper eyecandy for once, it’s a rare thing.

It’s a bummer that Sony has locked it down, might’ve pushed the needle on character design if it truly blew up on Steam concurrent player list. Now it’ll get the negative treatment on social like all exclusives with fanboys fighting and saying it’s shit.

Luipadre

No japanese dub in the EU version? Korean sounds a lot better, but i dont want to miss dialogue during combat or setpieces :(

Eiknarf

Ok that’s strange, you just said you have it with all next gen games and ps4 games but ok. I do the Dolby Atmos output so maybe it’s different for just this game.
It’s probably the wording
What I meant to have written is that all my PS4 and PS5 games have nice isolated dialogue coming out of the center channel only. Nice and separate

It’s only Stellar Blade where the spoken words come out of the left, center and right channels.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Ree are having a meltdown. They will ban those who buy the game.

thBOEzr.jpg
eHCwnRL.jpg
K5Y8hOJ.jpg
IMSn9p0.jpg
The irony to strip away agency of how a woman looks to fit a puritan standard. The power of the P U S S Y got em shooked lol. NO ONE BATS AN EYE AT AN ATTRACTIVE MAN IN GAMES. But let there be an attractive woman and there will be hell to pay. It's such a BLATANT double standard. It wasn't always like this before either. Now you got these fucking wackos saying "STELLAR BLADE IS UNREALISTIC HURR DURR HOW DARE THEY DEPICT A WOMAN BEING SEXY!"

Now, you see these gaming companies NERFING THE WOMEN BECAUSE OF DEI, putting their busted ass self inserts into games and so forth. It's fucking tiring.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Men who want to be women, jealous of depictions of actual women.

Tale as old as…. I dunno… 2016?

Maybe some of them. I think most of them are just men who are so desperate for a woman’s touch that they will white knight for any little cause they can’t so they can finally get laid. Instead of just paying a prostitute.

Got the demo downloaded on my PS5, but need to wait until Sunday before I can try it out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Maybe some of them. I think most of them are just men who are so desperate for a woman’s touch that they will white knight for any little cause they can’t so they can finally get laid. Instead of just paying a prostitute.

Got the demo downloaded on my PS5, but need to wait until Sunday before I can try it out.

It's a combination of young men that become trans women, who want to be looked at by straight dudes the way we look at characters like Eve - but know that'll never happen, because they're men...

...and other young men who have such low self esteem that they just go along with whatever the consensus is, in order to get a sniff.

All extremely sad.

What's the combat most like? I've seem comparison to.DMC, sekiro and Modern God of war.

Are you able to air juggle?
To me, the best way I can describe it is a more forgiving Sekiro. Deflecting is the best way to deal with larger enemies and bosses, but the timing to press the deflect button feels a bit earlier than Sekiro, Lies of P, or Jedi Survivor/Fallen Order. Enemy damage is also much less than Sekiro.

Trash mobs can be hacked and slashed to death quite easily, but anything that is as tall or taller than Eve should be treated like a Sekiro enemy and you should be attempting to deflect regular strikes to eventually reduce their posture and open them up to critical attacks. You don't HAVE to, but it feels like that is the developers' intention. Also, reducing enemy posture is also more forgiving than Sekiro, in that enemy posture does not regenerate in Stellar Blade. Enemy posture bars are a set number of deflects.

Red attacks indicate an enemy is about to do a combo and you have a chance to do multiple deflects.

Blue attacks are Mikiri countered (hold forward and press dodge), to use the Sekiro terminology, once you unlock the Mikiri counter equivalent.

Purple attacks are reverse Mikiri countered (hold backward and press dodge) once you unlock that skill.

Yellow attacks are perilous attacks, again to use the Sekiro terminology, and cannot be deflected. They must be jumped or dodged.

I haven't seen any air juggling yet. And I don't think we will. Game seems very grounded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom