• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Kokoloko85

Watch when the reviewers give it some bad scores and say things like... story was too predictable and not varied side quests.

Then comments like doesnt bring anything new to the genre.

Then half yall who enjoy it now are gonna be a hive mind and agree lol

Schmendrick

Its an age verification thing, many sites use small credit card purchases as a age verification thing as kids dont own credit cards.

Just make a second account and use another country, since you are in europe make an american account, download the demo from the american account and play it in your normal account. Its always usefull to have some accounts from diferent regions.
I'm not gonna bother with account switching for PSN only. Especially since I purchased 18+ content several times in the past with the same account and all other Stores obviously handle it better.
I'm just gonna pass on this and call it a day.
To Do List Nothing GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Oh, I'm very much afraid, please don't go to the mods and cry a river in front of them. Look, he is your new sidekick, he's gonna follow you around: :messenger_poop:
Huh, when did I say I would go to the mods? I imagine they will probably call you out on their own when you have no point and continue to escalate and make it personal…Also…why do you keep talking? I know it’s Gaf weekend, but is it really worth it?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Is this game the most 🔥 fire of any game in modern times, in terms of buzz?

Preordered the physical disc version

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Performance mode is locked 60fps. Balanced mode targets 60fps, has higher res but drops some frames. Resolution mode is locked 30fps.

ShiftUp develop this. Is a korean developer that made 2 mobile games, one of them is Goddess of Victory: Nikke that is out for more than a year now and has been very sucessfull. All they games use very sexy characters. Stellar Blade is they 1st AAA game and console game.
Wow thats insane that is their first big AAA game and this is what they came out with. They absolutely nailed it. I just finished the Demo and I am ALLLL in. I just wish there was a physical deluxe edition but I can settle for digital I guess. It says it will pre-load on 4/19!

RVcUvfX.jpeg

Last edited:

Zuzu

A great game so far. I’ve played through the campaign demo twice and beaten the additional Boss Challenge and I think it’s really good. The combat system feels like a combination of Lies of P and Nier. The performance is excellent as well. I will wait for reviews but unless this game goes completely off the rails and becomes a train wreck after the demo section I’ll be buying this.

Go_Ly_Dow

Stellar Blade actually has three visual modes – Performance, Balanced, and Resolution. The Performance mode looks to run at around 1440p and is a steady 60fps even in intense sequences, dropping at most a frame here and there. Meanwhile, Resolution mode targets a native 4K and seems to maintain a solid 30fps. The only slightly shaky option is Balanced, which uses TAA upscaling to go from 1440p to 4K, although even its drops rarely go below 50fps, perhaps making it a viable option if you have a VRR-capable screen. As for visual quality, there doesn’t seem to be much difference between the modes beyond basic resolution. I’m sure more in-depth analyses will be incoming, but for now, things look good – PS5 players have a slick action-packed experience ahead of them.

Performance and balanced mode visually look basically the same to me. Anyone else?

serious question: am I the only one really, really tired of 'apocalyptic city ruins' environments in games? aside from the last of us type 'nature returned' versions, they're just sooo goddamn ugly...

on topic: can wait for sale...

SRTtoZ

serious question: am I the only one really, really tired of 'apocalyptic city ruins' environments in games? aside from the last of us type 'nature returned' versions, they're just sooo goddamn ugly...

Yes but did you see the trailer at the end of the demo? I see a ton of different environments from sand to snow to everything in between.

tmlDan

Honestly, it plays much better than i expected, i already preordered the deluxe edition with my PS rewards but im super excited now

For what? That I dared to point out that this new norm of stealing left and right without giving credit and selling it as yours, is a big NO? Even if they asked permission from other dev studios, I'd say you are not a game designer you are a game scavenger.
New norm? What are you smoking? In the 8 and 16 bit eras literally 2/3s of games were platformers doing almost exactly the same template over and over with minor twists. Entire companies like SNK, who are amazing, exist. They made a loved legacy from stealing SF2 wholesale.

I'm baffled why THIS game suddenly is an affront in this way when games have shamelessly been "this one killer game but with this thing and it's fun" forever.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
God damn, that Boss challenge is just...FIIIIIIIIREEEEE, the silly but energetic K-Rock blasting in the background, the unlocked move-set with the various Bayonetta-like teleports, the constant need for MGS Rising-like (OK, Sekiro too) parries with sparks flying everywhere, the amazeballs camera-cuts when bringing down the boss's shield and then the final killing animation/cutscene...FUUUUUUUUCK, this game doesn't have any right to be THIS good especially for being their 1st "big console game" try, fucking A my dudes, it ONLY took almost 4 years into this gen but, here we are, a motherfuxking GENUINE balls-to-the-wall character action game !

It's not about the tits, it's not about the ass, it's about pure, genuine hardcore gameplay mechanics coupled with amazeballs production values, God damn, it's been since MGS Rising since I've had THIS much fun screaming at the screen ruuules of naaatureee"take this mothafuckaaaa !".

PS : watch this getting good reviews ('cause you have to be deaf, blind and stupid to deny its qualities) but - at the same time - getting blasted for the "obvious" reasons, it's gonna be a shitstorm online...

PS2 : LOL, dudes be trolling, the black full leather suit + eye glasses combo = literally Bayonetta, they knew what they were doing, pesky mothafuggas... 😁

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don't see it, VRR makes every game with drops better and smoother. PS5 version of Elden Ring is actually playable with it.

Yep, plus radial blur and CA, options to disable this should be mandatory for every game.

Boj, update :
You were right, in-game balanced mode + VRR for unsupported games option on the PS5 = almost guaranteed 60fps, this is the way , finally, a new game which doesn't feel like.it needs to be on more.powerful hardware to be enjoyed properly (FF16/Alan Wake 2/Dragons Dogma 2 etc).

Now, why the heck VRR works well/actually improves things with this while it does the exact opposite with AW2...fuck knows 😉

Pelao

I had played a little bit of the demo when it was accidentally uploaded, and I had already liked it, but now that I got to play the full thing, I'll definitely be there on day one. I loved the combat system, the aesthetics and the music. EVE's design is simply the cherry on top.

Esca

Played the demo and pre-ordered the deluxe edition right away. The game had me worried at first with all the sekiro comparisons because I suck the big one with parrying but I did really with it in this game. It clicked with me like bloodborn did with combat.. Can't wait for the full game. These guys have a winner on their hands.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Same, was not expecting much exploration in the linear areas, was surprized when i activated the drone radar and saw items the roofs. Managed to pick all the loot, except for a locked box that needed a code, but did not found the code.

Yep, that has to be only in the final game, there's no code for it (OCD too stronK, searched everywhere) 😉

Anyway, after the fantastic reel upon finishing the stage boss AND the amazeballs Boss challenge it immediately went to a D1 purchase for me, thing is, I don't know whether I should go physical or digital - Physical it goes for 64 -70 Eurodollars while digital (PSN store) for 60 (can grab 2x 50€ wallet cards for 40€ each meaning I'll have 20€ left since the game goes for 80€ on the store).

proandrad

Performance mode is locked 60fps. Balanced mode targets 60fps, has higher res but drops some frames. Resolution mode is locked 30fps.

ShiftUp develop this. Is a korean developer that made 2 mobile games, one of them is Goddess of Victory: Nikke that is out for more than a year now and has been very sucessfull. All they games use very sexy characters. Stellar Blade is they 1st AAA game and console game.
An actual performance mode that doesn't look like trash. ShiftUp is allowed to talk shit about PS5 pro. Take notes AAA devs.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The only complaint I have is the immediate cut to black when you die. For a game that has very gorey cutscenes, Eve’s deaths are the tamest thing ever. I miss proper death animations in games, it’s like a lost art now.

You’re fighting these lovecraftian looking aliens with claws, giant boulders for arms, and buzzsaw hands. If Eve could die in over the top gnarly ways, this game would be so fucking metal. I feel like OG RE4’s player deaths were never topped. It’s like the whole gaming industry cowered away from that.

Last edited:
More souls like than I thought. I went in thinking it's Korean bayonetta. Nope. Lies of P with Black Pink mod.
The battle pacing is extremely Soulslike, it's all about blocking/parrying and waiting for an opportunity to counter. If you're expecting Nier Automata or DMC gameplay you won't be happy lol. I noticed by default a Perfect Parry does not stun or interrupt the enemy combo, so if you Perfect Parry the first attack of a 3 hit combo and think you're good you're gonna eat another 2 hits right to the face.

The music is done by MONACA and it sounds very much like Nier, it's obvious that Shift Up are big fans of Nier because the entire story and milieu is very Nier-like.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Watch when the reviewers give it some bad scores and say things like... story was too predictable and not varied side quests.

Then comments like doesnt bring anything new to the genre.

Then half yall who enjoy it now are gonna be a hive mind and agree lol

The demo is like 12 minutes long. It's very possible the game drags later on.

sigmaZ

Either I suck, or it's hard as balls. This is more Sekiro than anything else, which is great, but the parry/dodge timing is less generous while I've having trouble reading the attack pattern of some enemies. The Boss you unlock later just destroys me.

The worse thing is how you just lose health by blocking so you can't just feel the enemy out and choose what to parry, it's do or die.

Edit: Finally beat the fucker. Chaining together a dozen parries and destorying something you had trouble with feels amazing. This really is Sekiro, but with a booty.
One thing thats unique about the combat that I don't see being discussed is that it'suseful to memorize and use the combos as you would in Soul Calibur. Once I started mastering these I started winning battles a lot easier.

RCU005

I've been thinking this for awhile. I believe this is due to games being so big (specially when they are open world) that it is much easier for developers to create a barren post-apocalyptic world, than one where they have to fill it with people, animals, etc. It would take so much work to do, I imagine. That's why there are always villages or towns, but never cities. GTA games take a decade to make for this reason.

However, we should get smaller games but much more alive. The industry is mistakenly focused on making huge but empty worlds.

(Off-topic rant done) Going to enjoy the demo for the second time.

SALMORE

so it's a Soul-like game after all 😑 i was expecting a Nier Automata / DMC kinda of an action games 🤔

am not paying 70$ to get frustrated every 5 minute

I've been thinking this for awhile. I believe this is due to games being so big (specially when they are open world) that it is much easier for developers to create a barren post-apocalyptic world, than one where they have to fill it with people, animals, etc. It would take so much work to do, I imagine. That's why there are always villages or towns, but never cities. GTA games take a decade to make for this reason.

However, we should get smaller games but much more alive. The industry is mistakenly focused on making huge but empty worlds.

(Off-topic rant done) Going to enjoy the demo for the second time.
yeah, I think you're on to something. tho that doesn't make them any less ugly/miserable as environments. I mean, at least do something like death stranding, & add a bit of unique flavor to the whole thing...

The game looks fantastic, runs at a steady 60 fps in Performance Mode, properly supports HDR and looks right with HDR enabled, and while it is not VRR aware you can force VRR in the PS5 settings and it runs properly in VRR and is very smooth with no tearing.

The music is of course by MONACA and combined with the game's general look, it really has Nier Automata vibes visually.

This game is surprisingly awesome and I completely would not have expected it from the developers of the anime butts mobile game Nikke. The boss fights are very Soulslike, if you just mash buttons like you think it's Nier Automata or DMC or Bayonetta you're going to get your skull caved in. It's based entirely on proper parry/dodge and counter, you have to counter properly to deal any real damage and you have to learn the boss's patterns so you can properly parry/dodge and counter. I have the Elden Ring (Bloodborne) (Dark Souls 3) hands right now after beating the optional boss.

I'm picking this one up at release. The demo sold me on Stellar Blade.

WitchHunter

Banned
New norm? What are you smoking? In the 8 and 16 bit eras literally 2/3s of games were platformers doing almost exactly the same template over and over with minor twists. Entire companies like SNK, who are amazing, exist. They made a loved legacy from stealing SF2 wholesale.

I'm baffled why THIS game suddenly is an affront in this way when games have shamelessly been "this one killer game but with this thing and it's fun" forever.
This egregious impudence - stealing here means 1:1 copy without proper repackaging/zero ideas - crept into big budget console games recently. Imagine a case where you steal the neighbor's cat and paint the poor sod in the process, but leave out its head. So it's the neighbor's cat with a pink body. Even the stupidest individual would tell it's Mr. Sausage.

The baffling thing, that this is published by Sony... Well, everything goes to shit :(.

You must missed the multiple interviews where the game director metioned where they took inspiration from. If you missed out, they took inspiration from Nier, Bayonetta, Sekiro, Blade Runner, Battle Angel Alita... and thats all i remember they mentioning.

Now tell me what games you like to see how original they are.
Taking inspiration and blatantly lifting something - and also fucking up the stolen loot - is an entire different thing.

Huh, when did I say I would go to the mods? I imagine they will probably call you out on their own when you have no point and continue to escalate and make it personal…Also…why do you keep talking? I know it’s Gaf weekend, but is it really worth it?
:messenger_poop:: Masteeer, I'm here! Returned from the scavenging mission!
:messenger_poop:: I've collected some diarrhea during my travels. If you want, I can activate it any time you are facing some big, bad, and ugly monster. Just don't take too much time, else I'll explode in your feacy face.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
The only complaint I have is the immediate cut to black when you die. For a game that has very gorey cutscenes, Eve’s deaths are the tamest thing ever. I miss proper death animations in games, it’s like a lost art now.

You’re fighting these lovecraftian looking aliens with claws, giant boulders for arms, and buzzsaw hands. If Eve could die in over the top gnarly ways, this game would be so fucking metal. I feel like OG RE4’s player deaths were never topped. It’s like the whole gaming industry cowered away from that.
Now that innovation was the one thing I really liked.

Aenima

so it's a Soul-like game after all 😑 i was expecting a Nier Automata / DMC kinda of an action games 🤔

am not paying 70$ to get frustrated every 5 minute
No its not. There are challenging fights, some big enemies and the bosses can give a challenging fight, but once you get used to the combat system you will be kicking ass. Game is not punishing like souls games. If you die you respawn very close to where you died and dont lose anything. Its an action game, that uses some combat mechanics identical to Sekiro, but its doing its own thing. Game has 2 dificulty modes to choose. If you find the Normal Mode too chalenging, you can switch to Story Mode.

I had a much harder time killing some optional bosses in GoW Ragnarok than i did in anything this Demo had. And no one is saying GoW Ragnarok is a souls game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom