• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

j0hnnix

Gold Member
just played the demo, she looks great, I mean the game. Combat is a little slow. I was not expecting souls style more like DMC but adjusted. The boss fight was fun did the boss challenge and really love the abilities. one thing that feels off is dodge I was hitting o to get out of some attacks and couldn't, had to take it hard(that's what she said.). Once I finish Ff7 Rebirth and Alan's Wake 2 I'm jumping on her, I mean the game.

Sigh, another let's scavenge the good looking game mechanics from other games, put it together, slap some borderline idiotic story on top and feed it to the peplz. Look at the cleavage, look at the ass. MMmmmmm, we made this shit for you hormone monkeys. Using your brain is exhausting, just think with your dickah. Fukken big explosions, everything falling, they envied some Michael Bay movies too, so they upped the ante with even more nonsense falling and exploding things.

Story is the usual, look ma big explosions, we coming, dey defendin. Pwaaaah, we landed, some of us died, now we avenge and find out shit why these monstarrz look like a horribly mutated back orifice.

Protagonist have big tittaz, big arse, narrow shoulders, expressionless angel face, dialogues from someone with a mental handicap.
You can't highlight points of interest with moving the camera, NOPE! You have to stand right in front of it. Thoroughly tested.
English voiceover is just plain terrible.
You can't break action animations, so dodge is a bit erratic.
They stole GOW's sidekick idea, but this time it's a fucking robot. It's just there, you don't have to do shit to acquire it. And you can't fucking destroy it. At least it's not speaking all the time.
They stole Uncharted's dead boring wall climbing... really? Also, there are ladders!
They also stole the pole jump. But why?
Sprinkled with idiocy: No auto loot by trampling on shit, you have to scan to see things, then collect the shit. Ehhh, in 2024.
Enemies have zero thought in them. Like they asked some soon to be AI to vomit out monsters one after another.
Totally unnecessary here is the door, you can't open it from this side stupidity. Lies of P maxed out this useless mechanic, of course they borrowed it.
+1: They also stole the fucked up camera positioning from someone. Why on earth is it not at a higher point and why is it so far? I know the last one: because you wouldn't see the ASS all the time!

I hope there won't be any obstacles that you can only destroy later.

The end boss was not bad.
wtf-what.gif

Bojji

Boj, I know it sounds weird but I can assure you that that's the case.
I spent about 1 hour like an idiot last week while finishing up AW2 switching VRR on and off in the same exact spots where the game drops frames and trust me, the game dropped even more frames/there was increased stutter (not judder) in the - again - same exact spots while the " VRR for unsupported games" option was turned on...

I know that it sounds weird and maybe doesn't even make sense but it is what is - things get even worse with 30fps games since they appear more juddery with it on (on top of the inherent OLED judder for anything below 60fps).

There's definitely some fuckery at play here and I don't know if it's just the PS5 that's at fault here, the TV (LG C2*) or a combination of both...

*not all panels are the same between TVs nor the SOCs or the software they use.

I've been wanting to create an OT regarding this very specific problem for some time now (since there's also many topics about it online) but I've always decided against it in the end due to the usual reasons and shitstorm that it'll create 😉

PS : always regarding the VRR option for unsupported games in the PS5 's display menu, there's a disclaimer which says that it may or it.may not actually improve things and that it should be turned off in case any unforseen problems arise and I'd personally categorize the extra/added stutter/judder as such.

Cheers

I didn't test games you tested.

I can give you example from FFVII Rebirth, in Kalm performance mode drops to around 57fps in one spot (town center) without vrr (this game is unsupported, so forced in console menu) I can see standard judder when frame rate doesn't match fixed refresh rate. With vrr it's smooth.

Elden ring is one big judder without vrr, looks ok with it (unless frame rate drops below 48...)

Maybe it works like that in games you mentioned or maybe it's your (vs mine) pure subjective view on the issue or hardware related thing (I have LG b2). Who knows 😉

GametimeUK

Dude enemies respawned in old Megaman games after hitting a checkpoint, Soulsborne didn't invent enemy respawns at checkpoints/save points.

You pass the invisible checkpoints on Megaman. You use the checkpoints on Souls.

Yes, the enemies on both games respawn after death, but Souls enemies respawn when you physically use the checkpoint too without having to die (bonfire). That's not how the enemies work in any Megaman game I ever ever played. With all due respect they're very different methods.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I didn't test games you tested.

I can give you example from FFVII Rebirth, in Kalm performance mode drops to around 57fps in one spot (town center) without vrr (this game is unsupported, so forced in console menu) I can see standard judder when frame rate doesn't match fixed refresh rate. With vrr it's smooth.

Elden ring is one big judder without vrr, looks ok with it (unless frame rate drops below 48...)

Maybe it works like that in games you mentioned or maybe it's your (vs mine) pure subjective view on the issue or hardware related thing (I have LG b2). Who knows 😉

I believe you man - maybe it depends from game to game ?
Say, it does help in FF7Re RB but it actually makes things worse in others like AW2 etc ?

Fuck knows at this point, plus, generally speaking, VRR is really lacking on the PS5 (minus some insomniac games) compared to the XSX (which features LFC).

Shit's driving me mad, it shouldn't be some bothersome being able to enjoy a game on a G'damn console.

Cheers

RCU005

just played the demo, she looks great, I mean the game. Combat is a little slow. I was not expecting souls style more like DMC but adjusted. The boss fight was fun did the boss challenge and really love the abilities. one thing that feels off is dodge I was hitting o to get out of some attacks and couldn't, had to take it hard(that's what she said.). Once I finish Ff7 Rebirth and Alan's Wake 2 I'm jumping on her, I mean the game.

At first dodge seemed off, but once you buy the ability for easier dodges, it gets much better. I spent several hours training and it's amazing. Also, you can cancel into parry and/or dodge.

This game is awesome. So far it gives me vibes of Nier Automata. I played Tier completely blind without watching but the reveal trailer, and it surprised me. Hopefully this game will too. So far I'm loving it (Not McDonald's sponsored).

j0hnnix

Gold Member
At first dodge seemed off, but once you buy the ability for easier dodges, it gets much better.
going to check that out. this game has that feeling where it will get more exciting as you get further into it. love the enemy design, parry felt good once I got the feel for it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This shit is phenomenal. Brings back the best kind of 6th/7th gen feels when a game was a fucking game. It’s really refreshing.

Parrying feels great, the haptics are great, the music is great and using UK voices for the chicks is choice as fuck. Even your robot buddy isn’t obnoxious.

Day one with a bullet.

Also those shiny green ass cheeks remind me of Japanese beetles.

I was skeptical about this game for a long time because it looked like it was just a shameless Nier Automata ripoff from a gacha dev. Well, that's still true to a certain extent, but I see now that the gameplay is an entirely different beast from Nier and I'm here for it.

Glad they put out a demo because it won me over.

SRTtoZ

Wow the demo just sold me on this game. The gameplay is LEGIT. Also Balanced seems to run at 60fps. I wonder what framerate mode is. 120?

Whos developing this? I expected this to be some cringe sekiro rip off with tits an ass but so far I'm loving it. Balanced mode looks and runs great. I'm guessing its like dynamic res? Def over 1080p, maybe 1400p or 1200?

ANNNDDD Preordered!

Last edited:

Aenima

Wow the demo just sold me on this game. The gameplay is LEGIT. Also Balanced seems to run at 60fps. I wonder what framerate mode is. 120?

Whos developing this? I expected this to be some cringe sekiro rip off with tits an ass but so far I'm loving it. Balanced mode looks and runs great. I'm guessing its like dynamic res? Def over 1080p, maybe 1400p or 1200?

ANNNDDD Preordered!
Performance mode is locked 60fps. Balanced mode targets 60fps, has higher res but drops some frames. Resolution mode is locked 30fps.

ShiftUp develop this. Is a korean developer that made 2 mobile games, one of them is Goddess of Victory: Nikke that is out for more than a year now and has been very sucessfull. All they games use very sexy characters. Stellar Blade is they 1st AAA game and console game.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
tumblr_onx3kgL5z71r38ekmo1_400.gif

And before that....

nier-automata-nier-replicant.gif
Yeah, but for christ's sake, don't include every shit from all of the previous games. Sometimes less is more. And if you steal an idea, don't just repackage it. Think it over, disassemble, analyze, modify and reassemble... well, you need brains for that. This game is an atrocious rip off of others' ideas. The worst was LoP... they just blatantly ripped off the souls stats system. People have no shame? Do they need to act like monkeys, like shameless megacorps who steal the other corp's new idea and try to capitalize on that?

Seems like you are on a mission to hate everything about the game regardless. Also, auto-loot is an option in the menu. Thanks for playing 🤦‍♂️😂
Mission to hate? Open your eyes. Do I need to smack you in the head with something to wake you up from your dream world? Have you already formed a lasting relationship with that latex arse so soon? I'm wondering whether there'll be a lotion to keep your butt ever shining.

Thanks for the auto loot thing. Btw the moment you have to get into the settings to change this and that about gameplay means you already failed. Especially when you have thousands of options on top of each other. Nobody enjoys collecting the same miniscule shit over and over again. That's what your robot should be for.

+1: Game UI fonts were small. I hope there is an option for that too...

However the music is atrocious for me...
Yeah, I forget about that one. Phuh, why not include spotify and let it conjure up some random pop thing, right?

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yeah, but for christ's sake, don't include every shit from all of the previous games. Sometimes less is more. And if you steal an idea, don't just repackage it. Think it over, disassemble, analyze, modify and reassemble... well, you need brains for that. This game is an atrocious rip off of others' ideas. The worst was LoP... they just blatantly ripped off the souls stats system. People have no shame? Do they need to act like monkeys, like shameless megacorps who steal the other corp's new idea and try to capitalize on that?

Mission to hate? Open your eyes. Do I need to smack you in the head with something to wake you up from your dream world? Have you already formed a lasting relationship with that latex arse so soon? I'm wondering whether there'll be a lotion to keep your butt ever shining.

Thanks for the auto loot thing. Btw the moment you have to get into the settings to change this and that about gameplay means you already failed. Especially when you have thousands of options on top of each other. Nobody enjoys collecting the same miniscule shit over and over again. That's what your robot should be for.

I look forward to your perma-ban 🤡

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Yeah, I forget about that one. Phuh, why not include spotify and let it conjure up some random pop thing, right?
wtf…I don’t care about outfits, or “latex”. I care about solid gameplay, and this is that. Also, I know when a clown is clowning on Gaf. I’ll say bye now 👋

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Its a german thing. The demo is free everywhere else.
Are you from Germany? Thats because 18+ rated demos always costs money there for some dumb reason. Its probably some german law
The same fee does not pop up if I want to DL 18+ rated demos on Steam, Epic or even the Xbox Store...so it seems to be more of a Sony-Europe/Sony-Germany thing. Age verifciation seems unlikely too, because I can just purchase 18+ rated stuff in the same store....

Oh well I can`t say I understand this but it certainly killed my drive to check this out.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
For what? That I dared to point out that this new norm of stealing left and right without giving credit and selling it as yours, is a big NO? Even if they asked permission from other dev studios, I'd say you are not a game designer you are a game scavenger.
Not for calling out the game, but for being a 🤡 who tries to act like they know a poster and makes it personal.

Let’s talk about games and even hate on them, but when we try to lump posters into something they aren’t, bye clown.

Last edited:
For what? That I dared to point out that this new norm of stealing left and right without giving credit and selling it as yours, is a big NO? Even if they asked permission from other dev studios, I'd say you are not a game designer you are a game scavenger.

It wasn't funny the first time. And it's not now.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Not for calling out the game, but for being a 🤡 who tries to act like they know a poster and makes it personal.

Let’s talk about games and even hate on them, but when we try to lump posters into something they aren’t, bye bitch.
Oh, I'm very much afraid, please don't go to the mods and cry a river in front of them. Look, he is your new sidekick, he's gonna follow you around: :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

Aenima

The same fee does not pop up if I want to DL 18+ rated demos on Steam, Epic or even the Xbox Store...so it seems to be more of a Sony-Europe/Sony-Germany thing. Age verifciation seeems unlikely too, because I can just purchase 18+ rated stuff in the same store......

Oh well this certainly killed my drive to check this out.
Its an age verification thing, many sites use small credit card purchases as a age verification thing as kids dont own credit cards.

Just make a second account and use another country, since you are in europe make an american account, download the demo from the american account and play it in your normal account. Its always usefull to have some accounts from diferent regions.

Aion002

Cool game.

The combat is great, parrying is fun (albeit extremely easy) and the special moves are well made.

Also, Eve is hot, but I want to play with Tachy too.

IJPJxZq.jpeg

Aenima

You must missed the multiple interviews where the game director metioned where they took inspiration from. If you missed out, they took inspiration from Nier, Bayonetta, Sekiro, Blade Runner, Battle Angel Alita... and thats all i remember they mentioning.

Now tell me what games you like to see how original they are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom