• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
It's a fun little demo but i will wait for a discount on that one.

Focus and Reflex Boost make this a bit to easy for my liking. Resolution mode is very sluggish and texture quality is not good.

Particle effects and explosions are pretty neat and i really dig the art direction. The Stalker boss fight is pretty much the best thing about the demo and gives a good glimpse of what the combat has to offer.

Looks like a cool game, just not for 80€.

Mr Hyde

Been playing for an hour and I'm definitely down for this. Might even cop it day 1 even though April is reserved for Eiyuden Chronicles. Tight combat with parries and evasions, beautiful graphics and a solid OST. Cool enemy design too. The intro was very bombastic and felt kinda like the awesome set pieces we used to get in the PS3 days. My criticism so far is that Eve feels a bit stiff controlling, the image quality is a bit blurred and the parry window is kinda unforgiving (might just be me who sucks at it so far). Sony and Shift Up might have a hit here. Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

yurinka

My console is broken, waiting for repair. How is the Dualsense implementation of haptic feedback and adaptative triggers? Does it feel good?

Muffdraul

Amazing.

A game having the lock on button on the right stick, parries and a dodge button apparently , equals to a souls-like...

Fucking hell, I don't know if it's due to A) the FROM circle-jerk, B) complete ignorance of action games before the souls era and C) most users being gen Z and getting accustomed to action games with the introduction of Demon's/Dark souls.

DMC had dodge, parries and a lock on button since 2001 for fuck's sake.

Friggin' gen Z man, everything is "souls" 😁
The real difference is that in DMC/Bayo etc. precision is rewarded and encouraged, but you can easily get by and beat the entire game by just button mashing. "Soulslike" has become short hand for, among other things, melee focused combat that demands a high amount of precision, or all you'll ever be in the game is just a fucked flounder.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The real difference is that in DMC/Bayo etc. precision is rewarded and encouraged, but you can easily get by and beat the entire game by just button mashing. "Soulslike" has become short hand for, among other things, melee focused combat that demands a high amount of precision, or all you'll ever be in the game is just a fucked flounder.
That was same with Ninja Gaiden series, so NG games are Souls games now?

Last edited:

Aenima

My only negatives are some nitpicks.
Holding down R2 to pick up item drops is annoying and adds nothing, I hope there's an option, skill or accessory later on to pick shit up automatically.
Also having to manually enter the codes to open certain chests and doors is annoying, if I already found the code just enter it automatically.
As already mentioned, you can go the the game settings and change to "auto loot" or something like that, so you just have to walk close to the loot to auto pick it up.

Muffdraul

That was same with Ninja Gaiden series, so NG games are Souls games now?
After playing the demo, take this quiz-

Stellar Blade's combat design is probably most influenced by:

A) DMC/Bayo type games

B) Ninja Gaiden

C) the last 8 years of so of soulslike after soulslike after fucking soulslike

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just finished the demo. Goddamn is this game fun!

When you get the flow of combat down.
michael fassbender perfection GIF

Aenima

My console is broken, waiting for repair. How is the Dualsense implementation of haptic feedback and adaptative triggers? Does it feel good?
Haptic feedback feels great, it actually helps during combat as the controller pulses before an enemy does a deadly attack that allows you to time better the "Blink skill" needed to avoid deadly attacks.
Didnt notice the adaptive triggers cuz in the demo i did not used the triggers.

Danjin44

A) DMC/Bayo type games

B) Ninja Gaiden

Actually game like Dark Souls and Elden Ring you dont need precision, you need good build knowledge, stuff like parry in those games are completely optional.

Game like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in other hand the core mechanic is all about parrying your enemy, so I would say Stellar Blade got its influence in those type game over "Souls" games.

The problem is some of you guys completely forget there were other games loooooong before Demons Souls that had challenging combat.

Muffdraul

Actually game like Dark Souls and Elden Ring you dont need precision, you need good build knowledge, stuff like parry in those games are completely optional.

Game like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in other hand the core mechanic is all about parrying your enemy, so I would say Stellar Blade got its influence in those type game over "Souls" games.

The problem is some of you guys completely forget there were other games loooooong before Demons Souls that had challenging combat.
I'm 55 and I've been gaming since 1972. Don't condescend to me. Just tell me you honestly don't think SB's combat was heavily influenced by the contemporary soulslike subgenre, and keep a straight face while doing so. Tell me the enemies respawning when you rest at a save point is just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm 55 and I've been gaming since 1972. Don't condescend to me. Just tell me you honestly don't think SB's combat was heavily influenced by the contemporary soulslike subgenre, and keep a straight face while doing so. Tell me the enemies respawning when you rest at a save point is just a coincidence.
tenor.gif

Unless you think any game with challenging combat is Souls game....long before Demons Souls there were games like Monster Hunter that also used stamina system.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Played a hour of the demo, it seems a mix of NieR Automata, GOW and soulslike influences.. and I like it a lot. Great productions values, OST is great, gameplay and presentation are good, and I personally find both the character anod monster designs very good. EVE is great, but I hope we see more of Tachy :D. I have to play more, I wanted to buy in 2024 only the Elden Ring DLC full price, and then deal with my huge backlog, but I think Steller Blade will come day one.
Ummm yeah I'm
bummed
about that. If you played the demo/beginning, you know that
Tacky sacrificed herself
for Eve. She
lost and arm and was killed by that large enemy. She's dead
. Shame too because
she was cool
. I read that gamers wanted to see more of her.

Last edited:

Markio128

Just finished the demo, including the boss mode. That hour or so whizzed by - such a fun game!

I didn’t properly get to grips with the combat until I fought the stalker boss, then it slowly came together. I have to admit I got hammered a fair few times in the process. It was super satisfying to finally beat it with one of those slow-mo finishing moves.

I’d say the game has a kind of old-school/new-school vibe all at once, and it’s a breath of fresh air tbh.

Day 1.

Aenima

Ummm yeah I'm
bummed
about that. If you played the demo/beginning, you know that
Tacky sacrificed herself
for Eve. She
lost and arm and was killed by that large enemy. She's dead
. Shame too because
she was cool
. I read that gamers wanted to see more of her.
In a trailer we see her using a skull helmet, kinda like the KojimaPro mascot. So she will appear later in the game.

Last edited:
Absolutely day fucking 1.

It was an super, super cool demo from start to finish, much better than I expected. Soundtrack, combat, visuals, characters, I liked everything I saw. They did great job with parry-oriented and timing-requiring combos. It's like they put Sekiro and Devil May Cry 5 through the mixer.

Some shots from me,

OjqyTk.png

OjBrc2.png

OjB1Zv.png

OjBTu5.png

OjBVEr.png

Last edited:

thatJohann

Where’s the demo! Can’t find it on PS app?

Edit: found it. It’s not listed under Demos. You gotta go to the game then select version then it shows there.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
In a trailer we see her using a skull helmet, kinda like the KojimaPro mascot. So she will appear later in the game.
Ohhh for real?
Interesting. I guess it's not a spoiler then because it's in the trailer. Is she not human? She's got a better face than Eve, and kinda the same body.

Go_Ly_Dow

Gonna resist the demo but sounds like a safe day-1 to me!

Perfect timing too, another 3 weeks of playing the shit out of FF7 Rebirth, then the last FF16 DLC a week before Stellar Blade and then this. 🥳

sigmaZ

Just played for an hour or so.
Played the game in Japanese with no subs. I really like Eve's voice actress.
Really liked the opening section and how they handled it. Tutorial was very minimal but clear.
The controls are really tight and combat feels good.
I like how gruesome everything is. Doesn't hold back with the gore like older anime.
Death is fair and you feel like you are constantly making progress even if you die.
And that music is fantastic.

I don't really have any worthwhile criticisms yet. The only thing I worry about is the lasting moment of the game and if will stay exciting enough to keep going.
So far I enjoy the combat and music more than FF16
Evil Smile GIF

Eiknarf

Banned
Just played for an hour or so.
Played the game in Japanese with no subs. I really like Eve's voice actress.
Really liked the opening section and how they handled it. Tutorial was very minimal but clear.
The controls are really tight and combat feels good.
I like how gruesome everything is. Doesn't hold back with the gore like older anime.
Death is fair and you feel like you are constantly making progress even if you die.
And that music is fantastic.

I don't really have any worthwhile criticisms yet. The only thing I worry about is the lasting moment of the game and if will stay exciting enough to keep going.
So far I enjoy the combat and music more than FF16
You played in Korean. The game is Korean.

Ohhh for real?
Interesting. I guess it's not a spoiler then because it's in the trailer. Is she not human? She's got a better face than Eve, and kinda the same body.

Very much like A2 in Nier Automata or Marian in Nikke. I leave my theory in spoilers, just in case:

She will fight Eve after she learnt the truth about the world and humankind. She will try to bring Eve to her side

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

A) DMC/Bayo type games

B) Ninja Gaiden

Rotting Christ's new album must be trap-rap then since for the past 10+ years people have listening to that shit and they must have been influenced by it, would that be a correct assessment since that is what you're basically saying ?

It's just...a generational thing in the end, younger people( Gen Z) thinking that a popular franchise of their era (DeS/Dark) is what invented "hard" games and specific mechanics.

Again, a lock-on button assigned to the right stick, the dodge button assigned to circle (O) and parries do not a souls-like make.

Ninja Gaiden black and 2 on master ninja difficulty and DMC on heaven or hell mode where you die in 1 hit must be souls-likes then since you can't button mash your way out and they require absolute precision.

Lies of P is a souls-like, Both the Surge games are souls-likes, both Lords of the Fallen are souls-likes, that shitty animU Code vein is a souls-like, Mortal shell is a souls-like, both Niohs are souls-likes, both Salt and sanctuary games are souls-likes , heck, even the 2 Star wars Jedi games have more in common when it.comes to the "methodical" combat with a souls-like, Stellar blade on the other hand is more of a Nier Automata/DMC/Bayo type of action game.

Next thing we'll hear is that FROM invented parry mechanics and the dodge function ffs 😁

Last edited:

nikos

Didn’t finish the demo because I don’t have much time and kind of didn’t care to.

The game suffers from the same issues most console games do for me.

Graphics mode is unplayable.
Balanced is decent.
Performance looks horrible.

Character is too close to the camera and FOV is too narrow. Neither can be adjusted. Maybe I’m just used to ultrawide but a camera distance or FOV setting would really help.

Gameplay seems decent.

Soundtrack is really good so far.

I’ll buy it if it comes to PC.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Loved the demo start to finish. Day one.

It’s a nice balance between a souls like and a DMC game.

Surprised folks aren’t liking the visuals? On balanced mode it seems to be 60fps and looked stellar to me.

Aenima

Loved the demo start to finish. Day one.

It’s a nice balance between a souls like and a DMC game.

Surprised folks aren’t liking the visuals? On balanced mode it seems to be 60fps and looked stellar to me.
Looked great on my TV in performance mode, but i dont have a 4k TV, so resolution is never a problem to me.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Pretty dope.

That Sekiro parry mechanic instantly sold me on it.

The boss challenge kicked my ass, there's some learning curve into it.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This doesn't support VRR, on balanced mode , there's still dips/stutter even with no enemies on-screen.
I'd say that it runs between high 40's (combat) and mid 50's.

PS5 set to "VRR automatic", option for unsupported games is turned to OFF, LG C2 reports VRR is off.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This doesn't support VRR, on balanced mode , there's still dips/stutter even with no enemies on-screen.
I'd say that it runs between high 40's (combat) and mid 50's.

PS5 set to "VRR automatic", option for unsupported games is turned to OFF, LG C2 reports VRR is off.

If you have Automatic VRR off, you should turn it on. This might not have native VRR support like the Spider Man games, but it works, for sure.

I'm playing it with Balanced visuals on my VRR display and it's definitely working here.

For reference, Rise of Ronin 100% does *not* have working VRR, even with the unsupported-VRR toggle set to On.

Last edited:

Venuspower

I really enjoyed the demo. So the pre-order remains in place. All in all, it feels pretty good to play. I'm not really a fan of the Souls-Like mechanics. But Stellar Blade does not just look good, it plays good.

During the opening sequence, however, I was a little surprised that there was no sound coming from the surround speakers. I was almost afraid that the game would only come in stereo. But as soon as the gameplay started, the surround sound was there.

I did change three settings for the controls:
- I deactivated the fixed camera
- I deactivated the automatic enemy focussing
- I activated auto-loot

I can only recommend it. It makes the gameplay feel much more dynamic overall. But there was one thing I didn't understand. How do you unlock all the outfits in the demo? I didn't unlock a single outfit apart from the standard outfit during the entire "story demo". There were a few more in the boss fight that is unlocked at the end of the "story demo". But not all the ones that should have been in the demo.

Top Bottom