• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Tournaments and Showcase featuring: Daigo, Justin Wong, & PogChamp,

petghost

Banned
This game ain't close to sfxt levels but yeah they could still up the walkspeeds quite a bit imo. It would make footsies more interesting.

zlatko

Banned
Since the first SFV beta starts after EVO, I wonder if it'll include the character/s that are revealed there? That seems like it may be the place where we see the first new character.

I'm really hoping CEO reveals Alex, and EVO reveals a new female character never before seen, and that they both end up in the beta.

As much as I am hoping for Urien...after seeing this game in action I feel Alex would be perfect for it, and I'd end up maining him over Urien anyway.

What? No he hasn't. He played it for the first time when the show floor opened and has been on the stations when he isn't on the streams.

He played with Combofiend like 10 times. Ricki played the 2nd most against Combofiend and that was only 3 games. Xian and RB played 2 games with Combofiend.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
He played with Combofiend like 10 times. Ricki played the 2nd most against Combofiend and that was only 3 games. Xian and RB played 2 games with Combofiend.

So UltraDavid and James Chen should be the best SFV players in the world. They had a whole night prior to the event playing with just ComboFiend.

This game ain't close to sfxt levels but yeah they could still up the walkspeeds quite a bit imo. It would make footsies more interesting.

I think what is making this game look "slow" is the longer hotstop and indeed the walk speed. However, when you look at overall pace of a match it is faster than SFIV.

Capcom gonna keep tweaking. :)

The idea of using V Trigger to pause the game for a bit makes me kind of wish that Ryu had Shin(or Metsu) Shoryuken as a Critical Art instead of Shinkuu/Denjin Hadoken. It's like once you have both bars filled up, your opponent can't jump at you at all or risk losing 400+ health. Being able to hit confirm into Shinkuu/Denjin may prove to be more useful in the end though but it'd be nice to be able to do what Justin is doing with Bison.

BTW, does anybody know how much of a window you have to cancel into Critical Art? Is it kind of strict like SF4 or more lenient like SF3? When I see Ryu doing low forward, fireball, CA, it doesn't look like he's canceling immediately. Hopefully that means you they're giving you additional time to confirm the hit.

So UltraDavid and James Chen should be the best SFV players in the world. They had a whole night prior to the event playing with just ComboFiend.

I'm not saying that's why he won. I'm just saying it's a fact that he had the most time with Combofiend when the post I quoted said he didn't.

But even if I was saying what Jett was arguing for, using your Chen and Ultradavid example doesn't make sense, because they are nowhere near as talented as the pro players.

petghost

Banned
I think what is making this game look "slow" is the longer hotstop and indeed the walk speed. However, when you look at overall pace of a match it is faster than SFIV.

Capcom gonna keep tweaking. :)

Longg hitstop is fine with me that doesn't really drastically impact the pace and flow of a match. but reasonable walkspeeds is what makes sf neutral work.

Did they speed the walkspeeds up between December and now?

Vice

I'm not saying that's why he won. I'm just saying it's a fact that he had the most time with Combofiend when the post I quoted said he didn't.

But even if I was saying what Jett was arguing for, using your Chen and Ultradavid example doesn't make sense, because they are nowhere near as talented as the pro players.
Not all pro players are quick learners. Plenty of top players have dofficulty learning new characters and new games. The ones who adapt quickly like Xoan and Justin will do better early on. The slower learners like Daigo or Rog will do very well after a feelw weeks or months woth the game.

Shackzam

I'm wondering why no has been nitpicking the new street fighter 5 art as a hint to the next 2 characters. Like to the far left by birdie there's a black streak and birdies color streak is gold/yellow. Then next to cammy there's another streak that I'm not sure who the could be hinting at. Or it's just me looking too deep into things lol.
pTI2cRw.jpg

Aside from the Birdie vs Birdie 3 times in a row and the rush at the end. I found this pretty entertaining. Nash vs Bison a fated battle where evils wins as it should.

I'm liking the way this game is looking right now. Can't wait to see more characters.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I'm wondering why no has been nitpicking the new street fighter 5 art as a hint to the next 2 characters. Like to the far left by birdie there's a black streak and birdies color streak is gold/yellow. Then next to cammy there's another streak that I'm not sure who the could be hinting at. Or it's just me looking too deep into things lol.

Hmm, you know I think you're onto something 100%.

Not all pro players are quick learners. Plenty of top players have dofficulty learning new characters and new games. The ones who adapt quickly like Xoan and Justin will do better early on. The slower learners like Daigo or Rog will do very well after a feelw weeks or months woth the game.

I felt like Xian's fireball game wasn't getting blown up by everyone who used Birdie because the timing was different. Slow start up meant that when they tried to react to it, as soon as they landed the fireball would hit them. Xian was getting good damage off of his fireball game.

Am I alone in thinking that?

Ferrio

Banned
I felt like Xian's fireball game wasn't getting blown up by everyone who used Birdie because the timing was different. Slow start up meant that when they tried to react to it, as soon as they landed the fireball would hit them. Xian was getting good damage off of his fireball game.

Really the only one that made projectiles work.

Considering how Capcom went by revealing SFxT characters, I think you're onto something there

Ferrio

Banned
Has there ever been a fighting game where your moves can be dependent on your opponent? Only thing I can think of are characters that steal moves.

JokerAceX

Yeah I think I see what you mean. I'm probably wrong but the character on the right next to Cammy looks like it could possibly be Vega's color scheme, and the character next to Birdie could possibly be Q....only time will tell.

Has there ever been a fighting game where your moves can be dependent on your opponent? Only thing I can think of are characters that steal moves.
Didn't MVC2 Rogue get different power ups from her kiss grab depending of who she used it on? It's all I can think of besides stealing moves / transforming into the opponent

kirblar

The right streak is R/W, which is probably a Japanese returnee.

nikos

Red/yellow next to Cammy. Ken incoming.

EDIT: Or Oro, but he could also be on the left.

there's basically no reason to pick apart this footage though

game is so early and it was literally day 1 for all these people.

maybe after another day they'd loosen up and find more about Birdie's particulars. They just all jumped on what is immediately apparent as the "best." Sentinel MVC3 never forget

XenoRaven

I've been thinking about Justin's Bison pressure in the corner. In SFIV, my understanding is that if Bison is constantly pressuring you with scissors in the corner, there comes a point where his distance from you makes short scissors not a true block string and allows you to throw out a jab or a reversal to get the pressure off. I wonder if the same is true for SFV and people haven't found it yet (I only saw trades) or if the expectation is you burn V meter to get out with either straight up V trigger for Nash or V reversal for everyone else.

Either way, I hope to see people try and V reversal against Justin's Bison tomorrow, just to see how it works.

I've been thinking about Justin's Bison pressure in the corner. In SFIV, my understanding is that if Bison is constantly pressuring you with scissors in the corner, there comes a point where his distance from you makes short scissors not a true block string and allows you to throw out a jab or a reversal to get the pressure off. I wonder if the same is true for SFV and people haven't found it yet (I only saw trades) or if the expectation is you burn V meter to get out with either straight up V trigger for Nash or V reversal for everyone else.

Either way, I hope to see people try and V reversal against Justin's Bison tomorrow, just to see how it works.
It's probably just people respecting it too much since no one knows any frame data yet. I'm sure you'll be able to jab him out of it at some point considering they seem to be used for defensive purposes this time around.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Can't wait till people really start using the V-skills/trigger. They'd seem to forget it existed sometimes.

Justin & Xian used it the best.

Ryu is gonna be a true beast once people use his parry properly to not only to build v-skill but punish some things. Bisons scissors gets bopped by parry as it gives Ryu full punish to follow up after the parry as Combo pointed out on the CapcomUnity stream.

notworksafe

Akuma on the left, Honda on the right?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Yo, the black could be urien and the Orange could be oro and we would have our third strike theme for the character reveals. That would be pretty sick.

Dude you need to make a thread for this you are 100% onto something. I want to read peoples ideas. :O

Vice

No, the slow fireballs gave people trouble. His zoning seems pretty effective even with the slow startup fireballs, but he can also really go in. It's easy to see why his V-trigger is one use only when he can be so effective at every range and the teleport can let you get in or get away as needed.

I don't think even think that it's about being a fast learner at this point. Justin just could have had the best approach by picking bison in this build, by coincedence

Top Bottom