• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stringer on PS3: WSJ Interview

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Emotep said:
It is funny because in order to enjoy Phoenix Wright, you need to be able to read. Is that too hard for Bungie game players? :D
why are you still not banned?

Owzers

"I figured I'd do that this gen, traditionally been a PlayStation gamer, so I bought a 360 first and played through the original Xbox games that I missed out on last gen. Unfortunately, I discovered why I never bought an Xbox, the majority of the games simply don't interest me very much. Really liked the functionality of the machine itself, but aside from a small handful of titles... eh. So I sold it."

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you hate western games? All of them. But then again...if you bought an Xbox 360 to play....Xbox games....why didn't you just buy a much much much cheaper Xbox in the first place....and if you wanted to the 360....why did you sell it before most of the AAA projects come out......./mindboggled.

Kangu

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
In retrospect, I'm sure Sony would do *alot* of things differently if they could. Some things that might've been different:

1) PSP delayed a tad to include touch screen and built to be sold at a starting price of $199. Games released on memory stick type storage (cheaper) and every accessory sold separately to keep costs low (memory stick, case, etc.)

Then all they need is Nintendo's development studios and they're set!

2) One version of PS3 only, with no built-in HD @ ~$399. Blu-Ray still built-in, but streamlined to only have 1 memory slot (which would require anyone who wanted to save anything to buy a $50 memory "drive" sata at 2 Gigs to start off). Only component out to start, 720p/1080i support for movies and games. HDMI version could've been offered later when the system's costs were cut (65nm, etc.). That system would've sold like gangbusters worldwide and it would've been cheaper to make and much easier to sell.

So remove $40 component = $100 price drop?

3) six-axis is fine, but rumble should've been settled prior to ps3 launch.

:lol I don't quite think you're the man to take Stringer's job.

kevm3

It may have made Sony's shares go down, but I'm glad the PS3 came out the way it did. I don't like the price, but you are getting A LOT for the money

Evlar

Banned
I don't know how effective Stringer can be as head of Sony because of the cultural problems (both business culture and national culture)... But he's certainly spot-on when he argues that Sony needs to improve their software-hardware integration.

open_mouth_ said:
OK, the PS2 didn't have a built-in HD like the Xbox and it absolutely dominated last-gen, anyway. Every PS2 owner had to buy a memory card eventually so they didn't think, "OK, so the PS2 is $299 plus $40 for a memory card, making it $340 in reality"... It's the initial price that people think about and that's what's important. For Sony, every single PS3 owner would *have* to have at least 2 gigs in their system to save games or download content so that'd be a virtual 100% attach rate, resulting in a high level of developer support regardless. Selling the memory or HD separate gives users the option of going for less space (2 gigs) or more (up to 200 gigs, for example) while it allows Sony to competitively price the console for maximum impact.

The reason you see more $599 versions is probably because A) Sony loses less on those units and B) there's more demand for those units. The 360 is seen as "$399" and the PS3 would've been seen as $399 as well and it would've wiped the floor with the 360 worldwide at that price and it would've probably retained 75% or more of its marketshare.

Yeah, the PS2 also had no built in online capabilities as well and only 8 megs of storage WITH the memory card.

that was LAST gen. you need to take competition into consideration. Wouldn't quite fly this time around especially when the 360 premium is $399 with a 20 gig hard drive included. Attempting to sell a Ps3 with 2 gigs of storage for $450 is beyond laughable.

Selling the memory separate cripples the unit, period. Look at the 360 'tard pack. All it's good for seems to be screwing up XBLA for everyone else.

the reason we're seeing more $599 units has nothing to do with demand and everything to do with sony's margins. Did you read the last NPD thread? The 60 gig is selling at a margin of something like 50:1, meaning the 20 gigs are barely being produced anymore.

putting a "crippled" Ps3 with no ability to save up against the 360 premium for the same price would have meant swift death for the system and little else. Consumers aren't completely stupid, and treating them like they are is a quick way to find yourself out of business

Chris_C

sillymonkey321 said:
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you hate western games? All of them. But then again...if you bought an Xbox 360 to play....Xbox games....why didn't you just buy a much much much cheaper Xbox in the first place....and if you wanted to the 360....why did you sell it before most of the AAA projects come out......./mindboggled.

I bought the 360 because I wanted in on next-gen games, and titles like Oblivion and Gears of war appealed to me.

However, a LOT of shooters started dropping on the 360, I love shooters, but practically 3 out of every 5 games seemed to be a shooter, most of them average at best. Titles like Just Cause, Prey, etc, while fun distractions just weren't what I was into. I also became a little tired of XBLA, Geometry Wars and Assault heroes being the only games I really found fun. I LOVED the video marketplace though, downloaded an unhealthy amount of movies from the store, but then it didn't get updated with new titles fast enough.

I don't regret buying the 360 at all, I had a great time with Splinter Cell: DA multiplayer, and Gears was the best gaming experience I had last year. Thoroughly enjoyed Halo 1 &2 and played through Ninja Gaiden.

Little things annoyed me like paying for Live, and the fact that if my bro wanted to play online with his profile he had to pay as well, which meant $100 essentially. Another little thing that bothered the heck out of me was the design of the console, it sounds silly being an artist I'm pretty big on aesthetics, and I just didn't like the look of the 360.

I didn't intend to sell it at first, I was going to keep the 360, but it seemed like the AAA titles I was waiting for kept getting pushed back, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, Too Human.

Ultimately it boiled down to there just not being the variety on the platform. I don't see why this boggles your mind really, I just prefer PlayStation. Surely you're allowed to pick favorites!?

EDIT: To add, I LOVE western games, titles like Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank etc. I actually prefer them to Japanese games in certain areas (such as the level of polish and presentation) often overlooked in Eastern games.

But this is really derailing the thread.

Chittagong

Gold Member
i291942_Kutaragi.jpg

ThirdEye

open_mouth_ said:
OK, the PS2 didn't have a built-in HD like the Xbox and it absolutely dominated last-gen, anyway. Every PS2 owner had to buy a memory card eventually so they didn't think, "OK, so the PS2 is $299 plus $40 for a memory card, making it $340 in reality"... It's the initial price that people think about and that's what's important. For Sony, every single PS3 owner would *have* to have at least 2 gigs in their system to save games or download content so that'd be a virtual 100% attach rate, resulting in a high level of developer support regardless. Selling the memory or HD separate gives users the option of going for less space (2 gigs) or more (up to 200 gigs, for example) while it allows Sony to competitively price the console for maximum impact.

The reason you see more $599 versions is probably because A) Sony loses less on those units and B) there's more demand for those units. The 360 is seen as "$399" and the PS3 would've been seen as $399 as well and it would've wiped the floor with the 360 worldwide at that price and it would've probably retained 75% or more of its marketshare.
The times are changing, old dude.

cRIPticon

People can slam Kutaragi-san all they want, the fact is that he developed the single most successful brand in Sony's history in an environment of hostility. There were so many groups against Ken that the only way he could bring the Playstation to market was to buck traditional Japanese norms. If you would like some amazing insight into Ken's struggle to build the Playstation for Sony, I highly recommend reading "Revolutionaries at Sony". It is a FASCINATING story of how Ken had to basically alienate most groups, and even insult the CEO in a board meeting, to force the company to act. Amazing.

patsu

Good and informative article ! Many of the political problems described within are common to large US companies too. FWIW, the original Xbox was also created without official sanction from the management.

Folks... if you want to be a manager, Director or Veep... gotta toughen your mind and ego. The corporate world is not nice (plus you may need to face the media like this). :D

Interesting to know that Stringer has finally managed to put in the communication infrastructure within the company. Seems like they are on the path of growing their software expertise too...

Mr. Ihara has set up a task force, based in the U.S., to develop products that will allow users to download content from the Internet onto Sony products like the Walkman and PlayStation. He also created a center in Tokyo to develop software.

One early effort: a module for TVs that allows users to watch video from the Internet using a remote control. It uses some of the same software as the PlayStation 3 console.

It will be another 3-5 years before the current changes show their benefits.

Enough company soap operas (I see them everyday in US)... where's my PS Home ?

chriskzoo

Banned
The Sphinx said:
I don't know how effective Stringer can be as head of Sony because of the cultural problems (both business culture and national culture)... But he's certainly spot-on when he argues that Sony needs to improve their software-hardware integration.

Actually, Sony needs somebody like Stringer to bring them into the 21st century of business. Sony is still very much a bunch of "companies within a company" where there is little interaction amongst the business units. Kutaragi apparently got fat and lazy and despite keeping the "money men" out of the loop until the end, he delivered great hardware, but failed on the business relationships to lock up games like Assassin's Creed.

I think having Kaz in there will help remedy that a bit, but I think Phil Harrison is the one that needs to be given the most power with the PS brand.

Pope Benedict XVI said:
Go easy on emotep; brain-rotting is a very real issue when you have one made of pudding. Poor guy.

:lol

Emotep said:
Nope, I enjoy Phoenix Wright for at least 3 hours every day.

Staring at the title screen while drooling sounds fun, Puddin' Head, but not 3 hours worth of fun.

LJ11

I enjoyed reading the article this morning, but I had one small problem with it. Stringer ran the movie/music business and his group could never work out a software solution with Japan on MP3 DRM. The two groups could never get together. Stringer is a DRM nut and he would never let Japan tinker with his product/division. Stringer is as much to blame for the lack of an Ipod challenger as Sony engineers.

When interviewed on CNBC last week about Blu-Ray, where he proclaimed victory over HD-DVD, he kept harping on about DRM and the security the format offers movie studios. Didn't mention a single thing about how their format is superior (not arguing if it is or isn't), it was all about DRM.

KK will always be bitter for not being promoted to CEO. He will always hold a grudge against Stringer. Something had to be done in order for Stringer to effectively lead Sony.

Edit: This article gives readers great insight on how difficult it is to run a company when two divergent leadership cultures clash. It's an age old adage at this point, but East vs West (management styles) is like oil and water. They just don't mix.

Woo-Fu

Banned
LJ11 said:
When interviewed on CNBC last week about Blu-Ray, where he proclaimed victory over HD-DVD, he kept on harping on DRM and the security the format offers movie studios. Didn't mention a single thing about how their format is superior (not arguing if it is or isn't), it was all about DRM.

Makes sense. He is selling it to the studios(who want DRM) and the masses(who don't care), not to geeks.

LJ11

Woo-Fu said:
Makes sense. He is selling it to the studios(who want DRM) and the masses(who don't care), not to geeks.

No it doesn't, because the interviewer asked him why Sony's format was better/superior to HD-DVD. He said security. They both use the same security. I know Blu-Ray offers an extra layer of security, however no one is using it at the moment. Stringer is obsessed about DRM, always has always will.

Zen

Banned
Emotep said:
They need to fire Stringer and hire someone from Japan.

His first mistake was listening to the Americans.

I really dissagree with that, you can't argue with the bottom line of how he's been turning the company around. They're going to have a good 2007, and had good 2006 in spite on the battery recall and the PS3 which is huge when you stop to think about it.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
So what can Stringer do really? The article makes him sound rather helpless. If Stringer can't be allowed to just go in and rip out the guts, he's pretty ineffectual.

Well I think it's pretty clear that he is producing positive results and re-organizing the company as he sees fit, it's just a lot of work that has to happen over a period of time. You can't just repalce a coporate culture, you have to shape slowly, well, a Japanese corporation anyway. I think it's pretty clear that he's been making large changes within the company and is really getting the results he wants more adn more.

drohne said:
i think this is the first information we've seen as to why kutaragi was demoted -- or promoted out of the way, as the case may be. sounds as if it was primarily a clash of styles and personalities, though obviously sony can't be happy with the losses ps3 has sustained. interesting stuff.

I'm sure they'd LOVE to have a Nintendo Wii like product right now but it has been shown they can sustain those losses and the PS3 is moving towards breaking even at a stupidly fast pace. Ultimately I think they're willing to have the PS3 be the huge hydra it is provided is gets them results with the Blu Ray format. Anyone would be hard pressed to say it is not producing positive results in the Blu Ray HD-DVD war.

I think Sony as a whole will be content to lose marketshare in their playstation devision if it means winning the next gen media war. If this 'now' gen is a 3 horse race, Sony still does decently with the PS3 they can still go all out on being competitive with PS4 and try to win their dominance back. All while whiping their asses 500 dollar bills in the men bathrooms of Sony Headquarters.

Software talk

Say what will you about PSN missing X feature of Xbox live etc etc, but the effort put into their software integration (which really began with the PSP) ahs really been fantastic. I've been really impressed by how quickly they've been updating, adding functionality etc. I don't think they get enough credit for the XMB related work they've done, and they're still being very serious about it moving forward.

Woo-Fu

Banned
LJ11 said:
No it doesn't, because the interviewer asked him why Sony's format was better/superior to HD-DVD. He said security. They both use the same security. I know Blu-Ray offers an extra layer of security, however no one is using it at the moment. Stringer is obsessed about DRM, always has always will.

...which makes perfect sense. The studios want security, Blu-Ray offers another layer of security if they want to use it.

You're just backing up my point. Thanks, btw.

Interesting read. I liked the detail on Kutaragi. I've heard him refered to as a bit of a rogue before but never with much supporting detail.

spwolf

open_mouth_ said:
2) One version of PS3 only, with no built-in HD @ ~$399. Blu-Ray still built-in, but streamlined to only have 1 memory slot (which would require anyone who wanted to save anything to buy a $50 memory "drive" sata at 2 Gigs to start off). Only component out to start, 720p/1080i support for movies and games. HDMI version could've been offered later when the system's costs were cut (65nm, etc.). That system would've sold like gangbusters worldwide and it would've been cheaper to make and much easier to sell.

not including the hard disk would have been disaster. It goes against every strategy that Sony has for PS3 - home entertainment powered by PSN.

I very much doubt that Sony would change this about PS3, or HDMI. They won most important war with BD and HDMI.

You are seriously out of touch.

btw, is this an interview or an story?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I'd love to read a well researched article comparing the rise of Samsung and the decline of Sony.

You can't blame everything on a few visible personalities. For example, the word on the street now that Samsung is way ahead of everyone else regarding FED display tech (carbon nanotubes). It's not like Sony hasn't been researching this tech while Samsung has. To me Sony currently reminds me of a big American automaker that just can't their act together.

Regarding Blu-Ray, I'm pretty sure why we have a format war is a direct result of Kutaragi. He didn't want to negotiate with Toshiba. I got the impression Kutaragi really has burned a lot of bridges with Toshiba and Sony execs.

theultimo

Zen said:
Say what will you about PSN missing X feature of Xbox live etc etc, but the effort put into their software integration (which really began with the PSP) ahs really been fantastic. I've been really impressed by how quickly they've been updating, adding functionality etc. I don't think they get enough credit for the XMB related work they've done, and they're still being very serious about it moving forward.
Quoted for truth. Considering Sony, Who is traditionally known for excellent hardware and sub-par software, is actually making a multitasking, flexable software OS!

spwolf

Woo-Fu said:
...which makes perfect sense. The studios want security, Blu-Ray offers another layer of security if they want to use it.

they will add different encryption via BD-J once standard encryption gets broken (and it has already)... problem with HD-DVD is that they can not do so, meaning that once it is broken, there is simply no way to update it and keep current players compatible.

It is huge advantage for BD vs HD-DVD, in publisher eyes...

spwolf

Brimstone said:
I'd love to read a well researched article comparing the rise of Samsung and the decline of Sony.

which would be published in 2004, as Sony is now back and looking strong. Finally posting big profits in Cell phones, TV's are again the best sold TV's in the world and Sony has strongest movie business for two years in the row.

Last quarter Sony had 1.3 billion in profits, despite huge PS3 development and startup costs...

LJ11

Woo-Fu said:

Dude, Blu-ray already has every large studio but one. Stringer never mentioned that. That's a talking point, not DRM.

Sony's portfolio, in its parts, is stronger than the whole. You would think that having a CE business and movie/music studios, would lead to a huge competitive advantage. Sony hasn't leveraged the two. The movie/music business wants to DRM the crap out of everything and the CE division wants to offer devices that play anything and everything.

There are inherent conflicts between the two divisions, no two ways about it. One wants to protect their intellectual properties, while the other wants to create devices that play just about any file. Coming together and agreeing on a standard is extremely difficult. Couple that with cultural difference, and managing a company such as Sony can be extremely difficult/complex.

Wall-Street has wanted Sony to spin off the movie/studio business for years because they would be worth more separate than together. Each would have carte blanche to do whatever the hell it wanted, without having to appease the fears/needs of the other. IF Blu-Ray succeeds it can help bridge the divide between the two divisions.

I don't really know much about the history of the company, so the article was a pretty interesting read. It's just bizarre to read that a major, multi-national corporation is internally divided up into fiefdoms that are seemingly answerable to no one but themselves. Kutaragi was able to just do whatever he wanted with the Playstation 3? Go over-budget on the overall hardware or slash the price of the hardware in specific region and there was no one higher up to gainsay him? All Stringer could do was just go along with KK's descions until he ousted him?

J-Rzez

I don't see where a meltdown would come into play here... Stringer came in, made a positive influence... You can't put a total pinch on your engineers, you have to let them be free to what they care to do, especially on huge projects such as TV's, Blu-Ray, Audio players, and with the Playstation brand... Meshing Stringer with Eastern business means and structure was an ace movement... They can very well mesh together well, having the views of both sides of the coin, and could turn out to be a positive reflection not only financially, but also practice wise...

They went over budget with the PS3? Lot's of companies do that who has the means to... They went over budget with the TV's over the past handful of years with Samsung and such, and it turned out to be a great move on their part afterall...

Software is something that's equally needed I believe, especially in casual consumer electronics such as MP3 players... While hardware can be as simple as Plug-n-Play Transfer wise and still have lot's of quality, cutting edge tricks to it, UI is very important in segments like this because of the target audience... With it being so longly diverse, you NEED something that caters to Lowest part of the segment, but still have a couple neat tricks here and there to keep the techies happy as well...

And it also applies to the software developers as well... Sony may have went 1, or more-off the beaten path with it's hardware chosen for the PS3, they're supplying more tools and support than they ever had seemingly... Many devs went on record to say it's easier to dev for the PS3 than it was with the PS2... That's proof enough... Now, still a learning curve, but they have that each and every time with a new gen...

It's a shame what happened to the Aido, but sometimes those crazy projects just don't fit the bill... it's understandable why someone could get upset with it, but it's not like Sony isn't delivering exotic hardware elsewhere... Once again, gaming gets dragged into this... The first consumer device to use the Cell processor, coming equiped with Blu-Ray, all Blue-Tooth capabilities, Motion Control... Another segment is TV's, I can't remember for the life of me what tech they're working on, Organic something or other, but it is a one-off that looks promising as well...

Seeing Kaz getting moved the way he was, which people say is "software-biased" shows they're taking steps to fuse it more in-line with the Hardware segment... which is promising...

Better communication is a positive thing too, for "suggestive input" reasons... It doesn't necessarily mean that the higher-ups are going to stifle your creative juices and plans, but give another perspective to look from... These engineers shouldn't fear this, unless it's the Stringer Iron-fisted ruler show, which it doesn't seem to be... He just wants to be more aware of the situations at hand and lend input for most cases...

The American help-perspective is DEAD on... In america, it's cut costs, and specially, workforce and their benefits... In Japan, it seems a company is more willing to try other ways to absorb costs rather than cut them, and will drive themselves nearly to the brink of fatality before "MAJORLY" (read: American Car Makers for example) destroying it's workforce...

Luckyman

Banned
Brimstone said:
Regarding Blu-Ray, I'm pretty sure why we have a format war is a direct result of Kutaragi. He didn't want to negotiate with Toshiba. I got the impression Kutaragi really has burned a lot of bridges with Toshiba and Sony execs.

When was Kutaragi in charge of BD?

This war is still on because Microsoft jumped on board.

theultimo

jaundicejuice said:
I don't really know much about the history of the company, so the article was a pretty interesting read. It's just bizarre to read that a major, multi-national corporation is internally divided up into fiefdoms that are seemingly answerable to no one but themselves. Kutaragi was able to just do whatever he wanted with the Playstation 3? Go over-budget on the overall hardware or slash the price of the hardware in specific region and there was no one higher up to gainsay him? All Stringer could do was just go along with KK's descions until he ousted him?

Like someone said, it basically is a global corporation that has had mis-management between other areas, much like GM or Ford. Its pretty common to see when a corp gets too big for its own good, things slip through the cracks more easily.

spwolf

LJ11 said:
Dude, Blu-ray already has every large studio but one. Stringer never mentioned that. That's a talking point, not DRM.

eh, BD got every large studio because of better DRM. Fox especially moved to BD-only because od BD-J, and HD-DVD having weak protection.

If Fox has not done that, who knows what would be the outcome of the war.

DRM is not some big bad monster in disc movie business though, unlike with online music, there is not "much" wrong with DRM in movies, as you can still play it wherever you want to play it, unlike with DRM-music sold online.

ThirdEye

jaundicejuice said:
The pricecut in Japan was absolutely necessary, this is evident in the weekly sales charts.

thanks for posting this stinkles.

i just love stuff like this.

there wasn't enough dirt to pad it out to a full book like 'inside intel' but it was still a great read.

LJ11

spwolf said:
eh, BD got every large studio because of better DRM. Fox especially moved to BD-only because od BD-J, and HD-DVD having weak protection.

If Fox has not done that, who knows what would be the outcome of the war.

DRM is not some big bad monster in disc movie business though, unlike with online music, there is not "much" wrong with DRM in movies, as you can still play it wherever you want to play it, unlike with DRM-music sold online.

Firstly, the extra layer of DRM on Blu-Ray is BD+, not BD-J.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you and I both, have absolutely no idea how much more secure BD+ is. Most experts seems to think that it doesn't add too much more.

Lastly, my initial argument was that Stringer is a DRM nut in all areas. He's on CNBC doing an interview, and instead of talking about how great studio support is, and about the list of quality titles releasing in the coming months, he focuses on DRM instead. I'm not saying that he didn't leverage the added security features to bring in movie studios. That's all well and good. But IMO he had no reason to bring up DRM. After all, according to him Blu-Ray had won the war, so studios aren't going to leave or enter Sony's camp because of some security features. The war is over, studios should be on board. Talk about them and not security features.

My argument is that Sony sometimes concentrates on protecting its movie/music business to the detriment of the CE business.

spwolf

ThirdEye said:
The pricecut in Japan was absolutely necessary, this is evident in the weekly sales charts.

well it still isnt selling well, and 20GB sells less than 60 GB in Japan, so thats the question.

While price cuts are always fun, content is even more fun... PS3 needs content much more than $80 price cut.

theBishop

Banned
Its pretty damn obvious what they should be doing:

Let the Japanese handle the hardware engineering.

Let the Americans handle the software.

I think American programmers would be thrilled with that arrangement (i know i would be), and its a matter of getting the Japanese engineers on board. If the iPod is an example of software innovation leading hardware, then its clear my suggestion is the model Sony needs to adopt.

It also sounds like Stringer really needs to get loyal people in leadership positions. If the department heads aren't talking to him, that's a nightmare of a problem.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm a closet Stringer fanboy to be honest. As he points out, he's turned sony from what people were fearing was an hopeless case, into something that's back on the up and up.

Kutaragi - seriously - sounds like he's lost the plot. If Stringer living in a hotel is bad, what message does Kutaragi give driving round stores for the PS3 laucnh in a stretch limo dressed like a ****ing pimp tell you?!

I just wonder if Stringer is at the Westin ? perhaps i should go stalk the place.

theBishop said:
Its pretty damn obvious what they should be doing:

Let the Japanese handle the hardware engineering.

Let the Americans handle the software.

I think American programmers would be thrilled with that arrangement (i know i would be), and its a matter of getting the Japanese engineers on board. If the iPod is an example of software innovation leading hardware, then its clear my suggestion is the model Sony needs to adopt.

It also sounds like Stringer really needs to get loyal people in leadership positions. If the department heads aren't talking to him, that's a nightmare of a problem.

So relegating the respective departments to different continents is supposed to make for more integrated hardware and software? Maybe I'm misreading this. Could you explain?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
spwolf said:
which would be published in 2004, as Sony is now back and looking strong. Finally posting big profits in Cell phones, TV's are again the best sold TV's in the world and Sony has strongest movie business for two years in the row.

Last quarter Sony had 1.3 billion in profits, despite huge PS3 development and startup costs...

Sony has a very sizeable debt load.

Any LCD Sony sells, Samsung is in some way a part of that revenue. The LCD panels are manufactured in Korea than shipped to Sony. Several years back Sony signed joint venture with Samsung.

Samsung is the largest LCD seller in the world now. Phillips comes in second, then Sharp at third place, then in at fourth place Sony.

One advantage Sony has is their brand name is strong so they're able to sell the same technology at a higher price to consumer than Samsung.

Sony did not earn 1.3 billion in profits last quarter. Currently they are projecting a profit 900 million dollars for the year ending March 31st 2007. This includes all divisions such as the movie and electronic groups.

I believe Samsung earned something close to 8 billion dollars in profits for the year 2006. Samsung roughly earns 8 times the profits of Sony.

Also Samsung has the highest market capitization of any company outside the US. Samsung is a huge company and they plow enourmous sums of money back into R&D.

theBishop

Banned
ghostlyjoe said:
So relegating the respective departments to different continents is supposed to make for more integrated hardware and software? Maybe I'm misreading this. Could you explain?

If the hardware designers are working with ergonomics experts to get a general idea of how people interact with their product, that's the extent of the information software designers need to do their work.

If someone dropped an iPod with blank firmware in the lap of a software team, they wouldn't need a lot of communication with the engineers to see how it should work. And because they aren't nearly as concerned with the physical creation of the device, they can focus 100% of their attention to the user-friendliness of the software.

It seems to be a cultural difference that Japanese engineers develop really successful hardware, and Americans develop really successful software.

PS3 and PSP aren't as unconventional as the iPod from a hardware UI standpoint, so there is no reason an American team couldn't be handling the firmware development.

Top Bottom