• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stringer on PS3: WSJ Interview

LJ11

Brimstone said:
Also Samsung has the highest market capitization of any company outside the US. Samsung is a huge company and they plow enourmous sums of money back into R&D.

:lol

You're out of your mind.

Brimstone said:
Actually Toyota and a few other companies are bigger. But...Samsung is trending upwards and really isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Anyway Samsung is a very large company.

So we should be expecting a Samsung Gaming Console in 2010?

Mau ®

Communication was always clearly a major problem within Sony. Look at the PS3 EU launch. They started the marketing campaing and 3 weeks later BAM Major delay. That campaing must've been quite expensive given Sony's past record of marketing budget.

Kuturagi ego went through the roof. Between the hey day of the PS2 and the launch of the PSP his ego became a monster, his ambition became too much.

LJ11

DCharlie said:
out of his mind???

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BJT/is_6_10/ai_90301750

??

looks to be one of the highest market cap in asia to me

(doh , 2002 figures - but yeah - bereeve)

I'm not arguing about Asia, however he did state that it has the highest market cap of any company outside the U.S. That's false.

I'm just being hard on Brimstone. Brimstone loves two things, DLP and Samsung. They do go hand in hand however. :D He was a bit overzealous with his initial comment, but he's right about Samsung being a big rising company. Sony has definitely lost it's lead in many CE spaces, especially to the likes of Samsung, and is definitely playing catchup.

i don't quite understand why the japanese are hung up on Stringer's living situation.

i mean, when you take everything that Sony is into consideration, there's no way in hell Stringer can stay put.

Brimstone said:
I doubt it. I guess Samsung could buy Nintendo...that would be funny.

Or tragic.

Not a big Nintendo fan, but whatever makes them do occasionally brillant things like the DS Lite that defy logic and become huge hits with the public would probably die inside a mega-corporation like Samsung.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Here we go but from Jan 2006, so a year old.

AP (South Korea) reported yesterday that Samsung Electronics Co., now has a market cap of US$103 billion after its shares gained 5.1% yesterday. This is the first time a South Korean company has ever exceeded $100 billion in value and on top of that, it gives Samsung bragging rights in Asia, where it is worth more than double Japanese rival, Sony (SNE), which is valued at US$41 billion.

http://japan.seekingalpha.com/article/5447

Samsung had more than twice the value of Sony and this was before the Playstation 3 launch dragged out.

FredFish

For example, last summer, more than 100 Sony colleagues attended a mock funeral thrown by famed engineer Toshitada Doi. He had resigned after his pet project, the Aibo robotic dog, was axed, one of many activities Sony deemed superfluous. At the ceremony, the 42-year Sony veteran recalls saying that the Aibo was a symbol of a risk-taking spirit that was now dead.

I knew about his retirement but not the "funeral". That's rather shocking.
So too is Stringer's refusal to purchase a home in Japan. Not doing so can, and probably will, be construed as insulting.
2007 is shaping up to be an interesting year on many fronts.

Brimstone

"Samsung is scary," says Toshiaki Kitaoka, a management expert who has recently written a book about Samsung's threat to Japan.

Kitaoka believes that Sony and other Japanese electronics makers must show more decisive leadership to focus on key products, take a global strategy and become more nimble. If not, he said they could decline in the same way their U.S. counterparts like General Electric and RCA lost to the challenge of the Japanese, including Sony, three decades ago.

"Japanese management is too content and tends to be arrogant about technological superiority," Mr. Kitaoka said, adding that Samsung has already matched or surpassed much of Japan's technology.

http://japan.seekingalpha.com/article/5011

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I think the Aibo demise and the Nintendogs success is a great example of how software wins over hardware.

Yeah, I dont have anything interesting to say in this thread.

Oh and I wish Stringer good luck. Harrison should be appointed King of the Known World.

TTP said:
I think the Aibo demise and the Nintendogs success is a great example of how software wins over hardware.

Oh and I wish Stringer good luck. Harrison should be appointed King of the Known World.

I kind of like the Aibo / Nintendogs parallel. It's a strange kind of insight. Good work.

Wollan

TTP said:
Harrison should be appointed King of the Known World.

He's a cool and likeable guy. Btw, anyone know how old the guy is? Wikipedia doesn't say and I'm starting to suspect that he is an elf.

Brimstone

:lol ...Samsung has a better credit rating than the goverment of South Korea and its taxes alone account for 10% of the South Koreans goverments income :lol

LOL

Meanwhile, Samsung Electronics has become Asia's largest technology company by market cap — larger than Sony — and its largest maker of memory chips, flat-panel screens and mobile phones. Samsung enjoys a credit rating higher than South Korea's sovereign rating. With 62 affiliates, the Samsung group dominates life in Korea like no other company in history. It represents 15 percent of the nation's total economic activity, 25 percent of the capitalization of the KOSPI stock market, and the taxes it pays represent almost 10 percent of total government income.

http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=2608

SRG01

Re: Samsung: The reason why Samsung is doing so well isn't because they push cutting edge technologies, but that they're pushing a lot of consumer products that are reliable at competitive prices. You can see this in their DAP and cellphone lines. They even have a LG chocolate clone...

spwolf

Brimstone said:
Here we go but from Jan 2006, so a year old.

http://japan.seekingalpha.com/article/5447

Samsung had more than twice the value of Sony and this was before the Playstation 3 launch dragged out.

SNE is now worth 50bil... but also, Samsung is huge conglamorate spanning multiple industries, they produce cars, industrial equipment, etc. If we are talking customer electronics, then story is a bit different.

spwolf

TTP said:

thats like saying that GT4 is doing better than Ford these days. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
:
AP (South Korea) reported yesterday that Samsung Electronics Co., now has a market cap of US$103 billion after its shares gained 5.1% yesterday. This is the first time a South Korean company has ever exceeded $100 billion in value and on top of that, it gives Samsung bragging rights in Asia, where it is worth more than double Japanese rival, Sony (SNE), which is valued at US$41 billion.

wow - so Sonys market cap has pretty much stayed the same since 2002 whereas Samsungs has more than doubled.

sangreal

spwolf said:
SNE is now worth 50bil... but also, Samsung is huge conglamorate spanning multiple industries, they produce cars, industrial equipment, etc. If we are talking customer electronics, then story is a bit different.

The numbers being posted in this thread (for whatever reason), with the exception of the SK tax number, are referring to Samsung Electronics which is the consumer electronics arm of the Samsung Group.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Stinkles said:
It's amazingly frank about how much horror and turmoil still exists. Some of these things are historical, but most of this is apparently still going on. The hotel thing is baffling though. Cultural difference I suppose.

many many companies are like this. The more employees you have the worse it gets.

The best companies aren't the ones with the best, the brightest people. They are just the ones with the least stupid people and the least stupid politicking going on.

Chittagong

Gold Member
DCharlie said:
Kutaragi - seriously - sounds like he's lost the plot. If Stringer living in a hotel is bad, what message does Kutaragi give driving round stores for the PS3 laucnh in a stretch limo dressed like a ****ing pimp tell you?!

:lol what

leehom

I feel sorry for crazy Ken. He is truly indeed an engineering mastermind. I think the majority of people wouldn't understand his situation unless if you were in a simliar scenario. I am, therefore I feel his pain.

After giving him his props, he is by no means a decent PR rep. He should stick to his strengths.

Doctor_No

Brimstone said:
Also Samsung has the highest market capitization of any company outside the US. Samsung is a huge company and they plow enourmous sums of money back into R&D.

Not even close.

Ranked 48 by Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/18/06f2k_The-Forbes-2000_Rank.html

While Samsung is a very large company, and a good one, their market cap is ~$100 billion, but there are many non-US companies that are larger and more powerful then Samsung. Also, market cap isn't a effective measure of a competitiveness of a company relative to another; especially since Samsung's main strengths are in flash memory and semi-conductors are not necessarily in direct competition with Sony in relation to many of their key markets.

Regardless, how did this become a thread about Samsung? A lot of Sony's fault's are within their own management which the WSJ focuses on.

leehom said:
I feel sorry for crazy Ken. He is truly indeed an engineering mastermind. I think the majority of people wouldn't understand his situation unless if you were in a simliar scenario. I am, therefore I feel his pain.

After giving him his props, he is by no means a decent PR rep. He should stick to his strengths.

Hey, he's the guy who wanted a cheaper PS3. Who would have thought he was the sane one the whole time?

Brimstone

Doctor_No said:
Not even close.

Ranked 48 by Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/18/06f2k_The-Forbes-2000_Rank.html

While Samsung is a very large company, and a good one, their market cap is ~$100 billion, but there are many non-US companies that are larger and more powerful then Samsung. Also, market cap isn't a effective measure of a competitiveness of a company relative to another; especially since Samsung's main strengths are in flash memory and semi-conductors are not necessarily in direct competition with Sony in relation to many of their key markets.

Regardless, how did this become a thread about Samsung? A lot of Sony's fault's are within their own management which the WSJ focuses on.

What?

How does that list work?

Microsoft is listed at 55 with a market cap of 279 billion dollars.

IBM at 26 with 126 billion.

That list doesn't make sense to me. And of course oil companies have huge market caps.

leehom said:

You are also an engineering mastermind who has been pushed aside due to your arrogance?

Doctor_No

Brimstone said:
What?

How does that list work?

Microsoft is listed at 55 with a market cap of 279 billion dollars.

IBM at 26 with 126 billion.

That list doesn't make sense to me. And of course oil companies have huge market caps.

Market cap isn't the be-all-end of the business world. There are other factors such as profitability, revenue, assets, etc. that make a business strong. Forbes take all those into account instead of corporate size relative to current stock price.

leehom

Pope Benedict XVI said:
You are also an engineering mastermind who has been pushed aside due to your arrogance?
I single handily developed the awesomeness that is the Virtual Boy, Atari Jaguar and E.T. on Atari 2600. But nooo...you guys had to shun my innovative, yet terrific creations.

leehom

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, he's the guy who wanted a cheaper PS3. Who would have thought he was the sane one the whole time?
He should be full aware of the costs to manufacture a ps3 and the losses their taking on each unit. Sony should've released the ps3 in one sku instead of two (which was a mistake to follows MS path). They should've included a smaller HDD, removed the memory card reader + WiFi + EE/GS and lowered the price to $499. I guess offering just one sku (the cheaper one) is what I think would've been better. Make the WiFi an $60 dollar option. This way, they can make a profit off this accessory insteading of bundling it with the system to increase the price to offset the losses. Of course, it's easy to say this now after the system has been out for four months.

This is why crazy Ken isn't the CEO of Sony. Mr. Stringer did stress the importance of software, yet the rest of Sony didn't "get" it. If they listened to him, the software emulation would've probally have been completed a long time ago and this would've saved them millions and avoided the OMG EUROPE DOESN'T GET 98% BC compatibility.

Brimstone

Doctor_No said:
Market cap isn't the be-all-end of the business world. There are other factors such as profitability, revenue, assets, etc. that make a business strong. Forbes take all those into account instead of corporate size relative to current stock price.

Sony is ranked 107

UPS 109

Cisco Systems 117 tied with Disney

The list is odd.

Home Depot 71

Intel 74

Doctor_No

Brimstone said:
Sony is ranked 107

UPS 109

Cisco Systems 117 tied with Disney

The list is odd.

Home Depot 71

Intel 74

I don't know what your point is or how its relevant to this article. Like I said before, market cap isn't a conclusive representation of the health of a business (in which case Google would be worth more then Samsung, IBM, GM, Ford, AT&T, etc.); also how you perceive how healthy or profitable a business is may be different from what it actually is.

Mrbob

SRG01 said:
Re: Samsung: The reason why Samsung is doing so well isn't because they push cutting edge technologies, but that they're pushing a lot of consumer products that are reliable at competitive prices. You can see this in their DAP and cellphone lines. They even have a LG chocolate clone...

Agreed. But I would say they do push the technology envelope as well. They are really well at both, and then pricing said product better than the competition and making sure it works.

Samsung really has turn themselves around and into a major powerhouse over the last 5 years or so.

Lapsed

Banned
One could say there is two sides of a business: the one on the outside you see and the one on the inside you don't. If the inner busines is not communicating well, then conflicting messages and a disaster of PR will appear on the outside. If one division isn't working well with another division, the consequences will be seen on the outside. No one should be surprised to find this occurring within Sony.

Sony is going to keep falling until the company coalesces together on the same mission. Until people in the company stop acting like rogues doing their own thing (like Kutaragi was up to), Sony is going to remain a mess.

Why did Kutaragi do his own thing? I remember Stringer publicly saying he wouldn't interfere with Kutaragi's Playstation 3 due to the success of the Playstation 1 and 2. So why wouldn't Kutaragi be more 'open' and have dinner with Stringer?

Isn't it true that Kutaragi wanted to be in charge of Sony himself (but others blocked him and put in Stringer)? Could that be the source of his 'rebelliousness'?

Anyway, Kutaragi's rebellious behavior might explain his weird quotations:

Kutaragi Quotes said:
“The PS3 is not a game machine “

“Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan (Karate master), and Microsoft is still not a black belt. Just like with their operating systems, they might come out with something good around the third generation of their release.”

“I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that.”

“Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun.”

"This time, Microsoft has stated clearly that it is going after PlayStation. However, they're going not after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. They were looking at 2, and that's why Xbox 360 became like that."

“With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment.”

PS3 is “for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.”

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”

“Microsoft is trailing behind us, but they are not a threat. They are good at improving [on products], but we will be advancing to the next level with revolutionary technology.”

“We’re not going to equip the PS3 with a HDD by default, because no matter how much capacity we put in it, it won’t be enough.”

Ken Kutaragi has now once again commented on how he views the launch of the PS3 and what the PS3 really is, though am starting to suspect that even Sony doesn’t know what the PS3 is about anymore. Speaking in an interview with Electronic Engineering Times Asia, Ken Kutaragi said of the PlayStation 3, “Though sold as a game console, what will in fact enter the home is a Cell-based computer.”

He continued, “The model image for the Cell-based network may be the Internet: servers around the world form one virtual 'computer,' and each PC accesses it. Application programs can no longer directly access the hardware; instead they will have to be written in high-level, object-oriented language. The Cell processor will completely change the concept of programming. I am sure that a technology revolution is about to occur, not only within Sony but throughout the digital consumer electronics industry.”

His most interesting comment was maybe this one “If processors of high performance and wide bandwidth like the Cell were linked together without sufficient security, a worldwide system crash could occur with one attack.”

Sho Nuff

Banned
Kutaragi said:
“Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun.”

But remember what happened on NASA's last mission to land on the sun?

h.jpg

I KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

leehom

Kens quotes isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure some of them are a little off, but I can understand why he said what was said.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, it seems like Ken won't be a "problem" anymore. I wonder what kind of product PS4 will be.

spwolf

Lapsed said:
Sony is going to keep falling until the company coalesces together on the same mission. Until people in the company stop acting like rogues doing their own thing (like Kutaragi was up to), Sony is going to remain a mess.

How is Sony failing? How do you measure company's sucess?

patsu

Lapsed said:
One could say there is two sides of a business: the one on the outside you see and the one on the inside you don't. If the inner busines is not communicating well, then conflicting messages and a disaster of PR will appear on the outside. If one division isn't working well with another division, the consequences will be seen on the outside. No one should be surprised to find this occurring within Sony.

Why did Kutaragi do his own thing? I remember Stringer publicly saying he wouldn't interfere with Kutaragi's Playstation 3 due to the success of the Playstation 1 and 2. So why wouldn't Kutaragi be more 'open' and have dinner with Stringer?

Isn't it true that Kutaragi wanted to be in charge of Sony himself (but others blocked him and put in Stringer)? Could that be the source of his 'rebelliousness'?

...because too many execs/managers run their company by SEC quarterly reports and analysts' feedback. They don't have a long term vision/strategy, so they don't dare to go against the snapshot reports and feedback where it make sense. Some also lack the execution knowledge to earn the trust of their subordinates. This is not the end of the world though. The tricky part is to set up a backbone of (technical and business) capable managers first.

I like the fact that SCE revamped their management structure immediately after PS3 launched (That's their first chance to gain control and they lept at it right away). Kutaragi is still too important and experienced to ignore though. Kaz should be able to work with him to put some good plans in motion. So overall I think they should be fine... especially leaving Phil alone to do the ground execution on the software side.

leehom

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Well, it seems like Ken won't be a "problem" anymore. I wonder what kind of product PS4 will be.
Ken will sabotage the ps4 and release Dreamcast 2 ver. Kutaragi in 2012. Believe!

Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan (Karate master), and Microsoft is still not a black belt. Just like with their operating systems, they might come out with something good around the third generation of their release.

Microsoft knows nothing about games; Nintendo is the yokozuna. You don't challenge the yokozuna to sumo wrestling if you want to win.

Ken Kutaragi = Hiroshi Yamauchi agent confirmed.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You don't challenge the yokozuna to sumo wrestling if you want to win.

Kutaragi a total pussy confirmed!

If you want to be the best you HAVE to be/beat the yokozuna!

spwolf said:
How is Sony failing? How do you measure company's sucess?

He said 'falling' not 'failing'. And he's got a good point. Sony needs to change the way they do business if they want to be the big dog they once were. Though up until the PS3, I'd say Sony's games division was exempt from that. Now...ehn. Let's see how their strategy plays out.

Top Bottom