• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

Yukiari

I like walking, it's free, but I live in Vermont and I like to look at the birds and the green mountains and the bugs, yep I'm weird.

This is why everything including games and movies are so focus tested and neutered to the point of losing anything unique to them. We are left with bland and stripped creations in fear of offended or not appealing to a certain set of individuals. Instead, Google is forced to strip all personality from its application because some pathetic person is having a tirade over a cupcake.

I really couldn’t shake my head more over this.

Yes all artistic expression is dead...

Do you see the irony of complaining about tirades and then saying that there's nothing unique anymore?

Fliesen

It seems when it comes to a lot of seemingly innocuous fitness/nutrition related things, people are quick to jump on them and claim you're fat shaming or being insensitive. Something as non-offensive as "calories in, calories out" will have people here acting like those with hormonal issues that make weight gain/loss difficult account for the vast majority

again THIS IS NOT ABOUT "FAT PEOPLE that don't wanna be reminded of how little they work out" - neither is it about people with a genetic predisposition to weight gain / loss.

This is about calorie counts being a trigger to people suffering from Anorexia - a widespread and severe mental disorder. Something that roughly 1-2% (depending on sources) of women and roughly .5% of men suffer at any point in their lives. Many of them - much like alcoholism - never fully recovering and always having a disturbed relationship to food, calories, their bodies and nutrition.
It's the third most common chronic disease among young people, after asthma and type 1 diabetes.

Anorexia has a mortality rate of up to 4%. (and that's with treatment. Without it's up to 20%)

Zoe

Throw it back in, but just make it a Calorie Counter. Work to improve accuracy, have option to Opt-Out. If anyone says that it's a problem then, sorry bud, but that sounds more like a you thing.

Problem is most people don't know the value of a calorie. You need to equate it to something tangible.

Fliesen

What food item would offend/trigger no one?

NwqsK.jpg

"57 minutes of walking. That's almost a 950 kcal Italian meal!"

Cupcake thingy is dumb. Calorie information can be valuable but there are a million and one already available apps that do this anyway.

So I should have to copy and paste calorie counting information into a separate app because people (who likely need this kind of information the most) got upset?

eot

Banned
America has an obesity issue. Everyone should be aware of it. Make it opt in rather than removing it. Let people know that rather than taking the cab 4 blocks they could have walked 4000 steps etc.

People take the cab four blocks?

Wat8.jpg

Fliesen

Wait, this was an option?! This would be amazing to someone who would want to know this...

I'm hoping for it to be brought back - but there's likely plenty of apps that will do this very thing. Also, do you really need to know the calories in advance?
Can't you just take the walking directions and have your phone tell you how much you burnt after the fact?
Like every phone, every wearable tracks your walking calories now anyways. I really don't think knowing the rough number in advance is what should change your decisionmaking with regards to going on foot all that much.

So I should have to copy and paste calorie counting information into a separate app because people (who likely need this kind of information the most) got upset?

please read at least some of the posts.
Maybe mine, 6 posts above yours..

ChrisD

Problem is most people don't know the value of a calorie. You need to equate it to something tangible.

My first thought was a candy bar, but those vary just as wildly in how much they contain. That and I don't think candy companies would let such a thing fly, lol.

Honestly, I do associate the thought of confections with cupcakes, so the "mini-cupcake count" didn't sound all that bad. Though I do see how it being pretty pink is no good, and more importantly - it not being accurate should call for removal (of the cupcake). Because even if it's a tangible, you are operating on info that is totally false for a large number of products.

People take the cab four blocks?

Wat8.jpg

I've never seen it, but I don't live in a cab-heavy area. Nonetheless, you can bet people do. Look at parking lots for a good parallel. People pass up spaces that aren't even that far out because they don't want to do any walking.

a916

I'm hoping for it to be brought back - but there's likely plenty of apps that will do this very thing. Also, do you really need to know the calories in advance?
Can't you just take the walking directions and have your phone tell you how much you burnt after the fact?
Like every phone, every wearable tracks your walking calories now anyways. I really don't think knowing the rough number in advance is what should change your decisionmaking with regards to going on foot all that much.

Why waste another app if I'm already using Google maps and it's right there. Would prefer my information consolidated. Should be an opt-in feature for those that aren't offended by this.

Audioboxer

YDYloDh.png

That actually reads like they are... making fun of themselves?

nb4Ipvc.gif

I guess just make this something you turn on and people will be happy. I guess. Just don't bring the cupcake back, they'll go searching for it, by turning on the feature they claim they don't want to be turned on in the first place.

Also, people on Twitter, leave them alone. Don't @ respond them or say stupid shit. That twitter link is full of idiots.

No Google should have made it an option... instead of mandatory. That they removed it entirely is on them not those who raised concerns.

Fliesen

Why waste another app if I'm already using Google maps and it's right there. Should be an opt-in feature
yes
for those that aren't offended by this.
at its core this is not about being "offended". Epileptics aren't "offended" by flashing lights. Please have respect for one of the most common mental disorders that currently exists.

It's be great if you could show the info if you want. Also the cupcake portion of it is a bit meh. But it would be good to see how many calories you could burn taking the walking directions. May encourage ne to walk more.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It being a cupcake is silly and unintuitive. If you are using a calorie icon, you use a flame.

There being caloric information seems good to me. Making it an option seems sensible, but having it default is good. Too many people don't do enough exercise.

a916

It being a cupcake is silly and unintuitive. If you are using a calorie icon, you use a flame.

There being caloric information seems good to me. Making it an option seems sensible, but having it default is good. Too many people don't do enough exercise.

The concept of one cupcake is a lot more tangible to people than "amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius". I can see the reasoning behind trying to make the information a bit more relatable.

In that case, I propose something a bit flashier.
It's nen
latest

Sinfamy

yes

at its core this is not about being "offended". Epileptics aren't "offended" by flashing lights. Please have respect for one of the most common mental disorders that currently exists.
Comparing epilepsy to seeing a calorie estimate is asinine.

Fliesen

The concept of one cupcake is a lot more tangible to people than "amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius". I can see the reasoning behind trying to make the information a bit more relatable.

it's the whole point of the weight watcher system.
"That granola bar's only 1 point!"
- "so around 70-90 cals?"

giving meaning to numbers is incredibly important. I guess the cupcake was chosen because it's whimsical, roughly 100kcals and attractive to anyone. (it can be vegan, after all).
Like, some people don't eat hot dogs, or burgers, or drink cans of soda.

Comparing epilepsy to seeing a calorie estimate is asinine.

You're missing the point.
i'm comparing epilepsy to anorexia.
3.4 million people in the US suffer from epilepsy, 8 million suffer from anorexia nervosa.

a916

it's the whole point of the weight watcher system.
"That granola bar's only 1 point!"
- "so around 70-90 cals?"

giving meaning to numbers is incredibly important. I guess the cupcake was chosen because it's whimsical, roughly 100kcals and attractive to anyone. (it can be vegan, after all).
Like, some people don't eat hot dogs, or burgers, or drink cans of soda.

I shudder to think at how long a walk you would need if they started equating it to a full sugar can of soda.

Charcoal

I live on the 40th floor of my building. It's infuriating how so many people who live on the second floor take the elevator when they could just walk up a single flight of stairs.

LMAO this is too funny. They should have just turned it into an option. Also lol at people getting offended about everything these days. A person with a mental disorder like that can be catered to yes, but the world can't stop rolling just because of a small %.

That sucks. I didn't even realise it was a thing.

Going to London next month and would have loved to work out my routes based on calories/sight seeing.

They shouldn't have gave in to feedback

Yukiari

Going to London next month and would have loved to work out my routes based on calories/sight seeing.

Or you know Google shouldn’t have been so heavy handed with the shut off switch and made it optional for people.

Kinyou

The people who brought it up on twitter don't seem to be suffering from an eating disorder themselves. They're legitimately offended.

btw. the expert in the article doesn't even mention that this could trigger eating disorders but only mentions it could trigger those who might overexercise

Priya Tew, a member of the Association of UK Dietitians said: "Although it is good to encourage people to walk more, having the calories used on Google Maps does not seem to be the best way to do this.
"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise. Secondly it could make people feel shamed that they have not walked far enough or burned enough calories.
"If people want to count their calories then they should be given the option to do this, rather than it being enforced."

Fliesen

The people who brought it up on twitter don't seem to be suffering from an eating disorder themselves. They're legitimately offended.

Uhm, how are you able to tell, though? First of all, anorexia doesn't always mean you're down to 50 pounds.
Also, just like with alcoholism, a 'recovered' anorexic likely never 'fully' recovers (rebuilds a non-disturbed relationship to food and their own body)

With regards to the "over-exercising" portion - yeah, i'm a tad iffy on that. As you can tell, my angle's clearly the "eating-disorder", which is a legitimate disorder (anorexia nervosa / bulimia) that has legitimate triggers. I have no experience or proper knowledge of people who tend to over-exercise.

And i was under the impression that the woman who made the initial tweet was going by that angle as well.

Yukiari

btw. the expert in the article doesn't even mention that this could trigger eating disorders but only mentions it could trigger those who might overexercise

Over exercising can be a very big part of an ED.

Kinyou

Uhm, how are you able to tell, though? First of all, anorexia doesn't always mean you're down to 50 pounds.
Also, just like with alcoholism, a 'recovered' anorexic likely never 'fully' recovers (rebuilds a non-disturbed relationship to food and their own body)
I'd just imagine they'd mention that instead of referring to other people who this might trigger.

Over exercising can be a very big part of an ED.
overexercising is a symptom of eating disorders like anorexia.
ok, wasn't aware of that.

Fliesen

I'd just imagine they'd mention that instead of referring to other people who this might trigger.

ok, wasn't aware of that.

Anorexic people tend to feel "guilty" about every calorie they consume and every calorie they don't burn. So they, too, tend to over-exercising. Which is what makes this a trigger.

Hexa

Maybe: Lindsay
@lindsayism
Replying to @TaylorLorenz @_eleanorina and @googlemaps
Not to mention the fact that all the latest studies show exercise does not cause weight loss

???????

As Americans, we are a nation of fat people who don't just not do anything about it, but come up with ways to feel smug about not doing anything about it.

I've only post this twice already

Some experts pointed out that, even had the numbers perfectly reflected reality, counting calories isn’t necessarily healthy — and features like this one could potentially ignite eating disorders.

“We’ve gotten into this habit of thinking about our bodies and the foods we take in and how much activity we do as this mathematical equation, and it’s really not,” Stephanie Zerwas, the clinical director of the Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders at the University of North Carolina, told the New York Times. “The more we have technology that promotes that view, the more people who may develop eating disorders might be triggered into that pathway.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cake-calorie-counting-feature-after-backlash/

MoeDabs

Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

Yes, because Google Maps counting calories is totally the same like this.

This is also about the calorine count.

You are an insane person.

Audioboxer

Maybe: Lindsay
@lindsayism
Replying to @TaylorLorenz @_eleanorina and @googlemaps
Not to mention the fact that all the latest studies show exercise does not cause weight loss

???????

That verges on "did you know the latest studies say vaccines cause autism?". "Latest studies" is completely useless when you cite nothing as well.

Not to mention trying to raise an argument exercise doesn't contribute towards weight loss is bonkers. It's simple burning of calories.

Yes, dieting will be the biggest help. Lower your intake and your body will naturally burn off excess fat reserves doing normal day to day tasks. Some mild to moderate exercise will speed the process up as you'll be burning off more calories than just walking around and doing menial chores.

I swear reading random social media posts is how you get reminded why misinformation spreads.

Dude, download citymapper. Theyre based in London. Then you can walk and see how many leaves of lettuce you burnt or jellied eels or green tea lattes or whatever. It's great.

Only works in certain cities

RDreamer

I really do wonder how we balance these things. With 40% of the adult population being obese, at that point you really do have to just get shit in front of people's faces. Show them what they should be doing and try and coerce them into doing it. That's not even mentioning it's really better for environment and our cities overall to get people walking rather than driving every mile or so.

How do you balance a solution that needs to be very pushy to even work with those that do have legitimate problems on the other end of the spectrum and really do get triggered by those sorts of things?

Top Bottom