• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Strong user feedback" results in Google removing Cupcake Calorie counter from Maps

Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

This is also about the calorine count.

Literally talking about having to go out of their way to activate it here.... by your logic there should never be any any calories app anywhere...

nitronite

I wonder if Nintendo, had they released the 3DS recently, would have had to apologise for trying to get kids to be active by having a pedometer tied to a virtual 'currency' in the 3DS.

The benefits of the many fall victim to the needs of the few.

As someone who is not super happy about how much weight I’ve gained recently, I would have loved this

daveo42

Banned
It was this tweet that started the blowback.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/920076957735440384

I honestly don't see the problem. I just see it as interesting data.

Oh cool, she also links an article about calorie consumption in her tweet stream from 2014. While I think (depending on you're own health and medical issues) that the types of calories you consume matter, weight loss is largely related to the amount of calories in vs calories out.

Yukiari

I can see how this can be triggering and not something that should be laughed at by people. Yes America does have an obesity crisis but we also have a very big ED crisis that not a lot of people talk about. As someone with an ED I can understand how they feel. Technology helped me bring my disorder to a whole new level. Tracking exercise, Calories, MORE EXERCISE! I had crazy amounts of apps and my life started revolving around them while my health kept taking hit after hit. It really isn't something to laugh off.

On the topic of the app, I do think it's a good idea if implemented properly and has proper warnings, opt in and opt out features. For some people this may be an eye opener to get them up and moving, but the other side has to have options too.

PixelatedBookake

I'll be honest the cupcake thing does sound patronizing. Just make it tell you how many calories you would lose by walking. Don't cutsiefy it. The people who want to lose weight will use it and the people who don't won't.

ShyMel

Opt-in and have another food for the counter, such as pizza. I have nothing against cupcakes, but I think there are better foods to use in calorie comparisons.

Vire

Why she was annoyed with the inability to turn it off and the cupcake measurement... You act like she is being crazy

Yes, she is being crazy. My god, I wish my life was so first world problems that I got upset over a cupcake icon in my GPS app.

This is unbelievable.

Why she was annoyed with the inability to turn it off and the cupcake measurement... You act like she is being crazy

I read all the tweets, she was being crazy

Oh my god and if you click walking directions it auto tells you how much food you'd burn off what the fuck

Anyway if I still covered tech I could expend a lot of cals hate blogging this

I'm so mad about it

People need to stop hiding behind other people with actual eating disorders. 40% obesity rate in adults in the US, you don't all have serious eating disorders preventing you from losing weight.

I can see how this can be triggering and not something that should be laughed at by people. Yes America does have an obesity crisis but we also have a very big ED crisis that not a lot of people talk about. As someone with an ED I can understand how they feel. Technology helped me bring my disorder to a whole new level. Tracking exercise, Calories, MORE EXERCISE! I had crazy amounts of apps and my life started revolving around them while my health kept taking hit after hit. It really isn't something to laugh off.

Man, you can tell you're not young any more when you see 'ED' and your first thought is 'Erectile Dysfunction'!

Yes, she is being crazy. My god, I wish my life was so first world problems that I got upset over a cupcake icon in my GPS app.

This is unbelievable.

She made a tweet and pointed out valueable concerns

There's no reason for it to be on by default, unable to be turned off and measured in cupcakes.

Mr. Sam

I'm willing to believe I'm being a little naive but I don't see the harm in an opt-in calorie counter for people who, well, want to know the calories they're burning.

Cagey

Banned
Like I said. As it would be just that easy. These people will opt it anyway, and it will harm them. Maybe you should befriend someone with eating disorder, then you would understand my point of view on this and my reaction to your super easy solutions.

Yes, because Google Maps counting calories is totally the same like this.

This is also about the calorine count.
An opt-in is harmful? Too bad. The utility is more important to more people.

Incidentally citymapper has been doing this for ages and ages, but I suspect it doesn't get used much outside of London. Stuff like 'this is how many bananas or lattes it will take to get from A to B'

They don't have a cupcake though, just a green man.

Value of the concerns aside, she tweeted many things that were little more than a rant.

Yeah histrionics is not a good way to get people to take your argument seriously.

I get that people can have a strong negative emotional reaction to being reminded that they have a real or imagined problem. But part of taking on and dealing with these kinds of traumas surely doesn't include becoming very avoidant over fairly trivial things.

kess

Corrupt leeches in the EPA and FDA are destroying federal health guidelines and gutting pollution regulations and no one gives a fuck because it's not expressed through a corny icon.

rudger

I wonder if Nintendo, had they released the 3DS recently, would have had to apologise for trying to get kids to be active by having a pedometer tied to a virtual 'currency' in the 3DS.

I was always mad about it having such a low cap on the days I walked a lot.

She made a twewt and pointed out valueable concerns

If by “pointed out,” you mean “raged,” then yes.

It really isn’t that big a deal. Maybe complain that it should be opt-in. But to pretend that flipping the fuck out is justified because it’s hurting all the people with eating disorders is disingenuous.

As you pointed out earlier, people with eating disorders likely already have methods to count their calories as they walk. Raising hell on this as if Google is hurting people with a cupcake icon is just kinda silly.

I'll tell the truth i would LOVED this.
More often than not when i'm using google maps i wonder how much i would burn by walking to certain locations.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Today I learn cupcakes can be seen as patronising and apparently sexist.

Guess I'll stick to the more PC fairycakes.

Elfstar

This was such an useful feature, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Why dumb, outraged tweets posted by extremely loud and insane minorities distort reality perception so much? Why people take that shit so seriously?

I understand that the cupcake thing looked patronising though, but i'm sure that they were just trying to pull out their usual "look at us, we're a giant soulless corporation but we're so quirky and funny, don't you find us friendly? XD" shtick that Google started and everyone uses on the internet nowadays.

Just make it an option.

Sinfamy

When the hurt feelings of some supersede everything.
tNd1ev6.png

There is a limit to what you can reasonably be expected to do here. Should we remove fitness apps or other things counting calories because someone might not be able to stop themselves using it?

Maybe google should cycle through various common food.

People have no idea of how many calories they invest.

Using my fitness pal, I discover how many calories you can eat without even thinking about it...

andthebeatgoeson

ITT: when you get triggered by people getting triggered.

Priya Tew, a member of the Association of UK Dietitians said: "Although it is good to encourage people to walk more, having the calories used on Google Maps does not seem to be the best way to do this.
"Firstly it encourages competition, trying to burn more calories each day which could be triggering for some people who have a tendency to over-exercise. Secondly it could make people feel shamed that they have not walked far enough or burned enough calories.
"If people want to count their calories then they should be given the option to do this, rather than it being enforced."

That's in the OP. Seems reasonable. So Google removes it, instead of thinking about it and giving an option. That triggers the anti-backlash people. The initial tweet thread suggests to give an option. But google is like, fuck it. Fuck that feature, we'll remove it. Like they do commonly (like the dark themes I remember but got removed from 8.0.)

Anorexia is some of the most heart breaking disease you could witness. Google going all nuclear and just removing things, instead of engaging and adding an option, is the problem. Not that people want the mega corporation to listen and gave strong feedback.

Nor do I see anyone with good data this has a benefit. Are we arguing over a feature that we 'think' can help, or do we 'know' it will help?

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
She made a tweet and pointed out valueable concerns

There's a difference between pointing out valuable concerns, and tweeting things like "Oh my god and if you click walking directions it auto tells you how much food you'd burn off what the fuck" like it's the end of the goddamn world. Jesus.

I can't believe people still use "triggering" and "being triggered" in earnest given its connotations as a source of ridicule. That word has been co-opted. The word doesn't belong to you anymore. You are doing yourself no favors and delegitimizing your cause when you use a word that belongs to South Park caricatures and 4chan memes.

It blows my mind. Like, I agree that a cupcake calorie counter was stupid and sends the wrong message. But all I can think about are the reddit posts and article comments that will latch on to how "some sjw got triggered by a cupcake."

I'm glad the feature is being modified. I wish the conversation was broached with different language, though.

Ugh, just leave me alone. (slams bedroom door)

gcubed

That's in the OP. Seems reasonable. So Google removes it, instead of thinking about it and giving an option. That triggers the anti-backlash people. The initial tweet thread suggests to give an option. But google is like, fuck it. Fuck that feature, we'll remove it. Like they do commonly (like the dark themes I remember but got removed from 8.0.)

Anorexia is some of the most heart breaking disease you could witness. Google going all nuclear and just removing things, instead of engaging and adding an option, is the problem. Not that people want the mega corporation to listen and gave strong feedback.

I definitely got triggered by her Twitter thread, and retriggered with the tired excuse of people think weight loss has more to do with hormonal imbalances than calories.

People also think that global warming isn't real

If you are going down the path of you should remove it because people can still opt in! Then I guess we should just throw away smart phones. We can't have that if people can opt in download a step counter. Fitbit needs to be shut down. We should fuck off with math because someone may realize there is a formula to figure out calories burned for distance walked

Draft

Calorie counter is neat and something I would enjoy using, and using cupcakes burned as a measurement is cute.

Kyzer

Banned
People with eating disorder care big about this. People who count every single calorien. But they should just ignore it I guess, right? Its just a mental illness, its their fault to just not ignore it.

Should we ban the imagery of cupcakes along with calories because of mental illness? Should cake advertisements be pulled from the air? Grocery store catalogues banned from mailboxes? What about the millions of things that trigger people with OCD? What about the fact that veterans can barely open their eyes in todays media environment without seeing something that could trigger their PTSD?

Yukiari

I definitely got triggered by her Twitter thread, and retriggered with the tired excuse of people think weight loss has more to do with hormonal imbalances than calories.

People also think that global warming isn't real

For some people it is hormonal, I have PCOS which just fucks everything up. I wish for me it was as simple as Calories in VS Calories out. I've lost almost one hundred pounds so far and still going but I had to learn it's just not simple for everyone.

Carl

Yes, because Google Maps counting calories is totally the same like this.

I happily admit that I'm an idiot, but I have no idea how they're different. If someone with an eating disorder is "triggered" by seeing how many calories they might lose from going for a walk, I have no idea why seeing how many they'd gain by eating something would be any different

Top Bottom