• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does buying a new router actually give you a better connection? I moved to a new house and my computer is in the basement now, and my wi-fi connection went from having 5 bars all the time at my old house to 2 or 3 if I'm lucky here. I've had the same router for, like, six or seven years now. It's an old D-Link.

Should I upgrade? Or is it something else?

FillerB

to me the most important part of neogaf is the .GIFs. I want to participate, but how do you save GIFs? where do you get them?

Where to get them:
Any big forum or message board, Sunhi, make them your self. Search a bit for the last, I know there is a guide for it somewhere around here.

Where to save them:
I'm assuming you mean a place to save them online (an imagehost). If so, http://minus.com/. If not, right-click -> save as.

Majmun

Do rich kids get frustrated when they don't have enough money in a game?

That's a question I had while playing Dead Island. I didn't have enough money to buy a weapon. I had to fucking work for it.

Ashes

Banned
Who has been the most successful at getting rid of poverty positively?
So nothing like disease, malinutrituion or genocide. I mean actively reducing the amount of people on or below the poverty line.

Ashes

Banned
Person.

I think china is most successful as a country. But I was trying to figure out whether a single person could be found.

udllpn

Person.

I think china is most successful as a country. But I was trying to figure out whether a single person could be found.

You mean by the amount of money given away to charity? Another option is to take into account inventions that could have saved a lot of lives and raised the standard of living.

StuBurns

Banned
You mean by the amount of money given away to charity? Another option is to take into account inventions that could have saved a lot of lives and raised the standard of living.
If you do go in that direction Ashes, consider Norman Borlaug, his work was really remarkable.

Ashes

Banned

That's a nice way of looking at things. Norman Borlaug etc.

Edit: at above: great minds think alike. :p

That's one person. Any others?

Montresor

Holy smokes I made a thread for this question but I think it ended up being a baaaad idea, lol (no traffic and relegated to 2nd page within minutes). In retrospect there's a reason why a thread like this exists. =p

Anyhow, my question is:

When you delete a profile on 360, what are the options and the order they appear in? When I went to delete my profile, without looking at the options I immediately pushed up once on my control stick and pushed A to delete. But I don't know if I chose "delete profile only" or "delete profile + items."

I want to know if I deleted my items too and also know if there's anyway I can recover them.

edit: Ugh and there I go again doing shit blindly without reading carefully first. I used firefox address bar history to jump to this site and didn't realize it was the non-gaming version. =(

Cyan

Banned
Holy smokes I made a thread for this question but I think it ended up being a baaaad idea, lol (no traffic and relegated to 2nd page within minutes). In retrospect there's a reason why a thread like this exists. =p

Anyhow, my question is:

When you delete a profile on 360, what are the options and the order they appear in? When I went to delete my profile, without looking at the options I immediately pushed up once on my control stick and pushed A to delete. But I don't know if I chose "delete profile only" or "delete profile + items."

I want to know if I deleted my items too and also know if there's anyway I can recover them.

edit: Ugh and there I go again doing shit blindly without reading carefully first. I used firefox address bar history to jump to this site and didn't realize it was the non-gaming version. =(

xbox-360-delete-profile.gif

My guess is you deleted your items. Sorry dude. :/

Montresor

xbox-360-delete-profile.gif

My guess is you deleted your items. Sorry dude. :/

Thanks a lot Cyan.

Damn...

Items are saved games and achievements? What the fuck... I was expecting they would just be avatar awards or some trivial nonsense.

edit: Just redownloaded the profile. All my saves are gone. Ugh.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm thinking of getting a cheap Panasonic HTIB I've seen on clearance for $59, but I wonder if it's capable of doing what I think I want it to do. It's a SA-XH50, at only 330W combined, so it's not a terribly powerful thing, but the room in which it will be isn't very large.

I know it obviously does surround while playing DVDs in its own unit. What I want to do though is to plug in a Bluray player or my PS3 into it and also get 5.1 surround. I see that it has several different means of audio input, including standard RCA, digital optical, and apparently something called ARC through the HDMI to the TV. I have a Panasonic TV with ARC listed on its first HDMI input, so that looks promising. Would running the PS3 to the TV via HDMI and then using ARC provide surround (I'm guessing not) or would it work if I ran a digital optical cable from the TV to the HTIB unit? I'm reading the manual online, but it's a bit confusing. This is what I believe to be the relevant page.

StuBurns

Banned
How do smaller actors make a living? I'll quite often look up some guest star from a TV show, and they'll maybe do one or two episodes of a show a year, I can't believe that's enough to support them, but I gather it is?

Espresso

Banned
Why does Windows 7 Professional take up so much space on my HDD (25GB)? Is that normal? My laptop's disk is pretty tight on space... Is there any way to reduce the size? I can't believe how much bigger the partition is than my previous install of Windows XP.

Minamu

Why does Windows 7 Professional take up so much space on my HDD (25GB)? Is that normal? My laptop's disk is pretty tight on space... Is there any way to reduce the size? I can't believe how much bigger the partition is than my previous install of Windows XP.
I'd like to know this too. And how to make a USB Windows installer.

t-ramp

Thanks :D Having a broken dvd burner makes it a bit more difficult (and also the whole point xD) but I might be able to fix it somehow.
You might be able to just download an official .iso and copy the files from it to a USB drive. I think the links for the images were posted in the last page or so of the "I need a new PC" thread.
You can disable hibernation by using "powercfg h off" in the Windows console and reduce the page file to a few hundred megabytes to free up a few more GBs.

Is there a way to disable HDMI audio on PS3 and Xbox 360?

I bought an old cheap 3 way HDMI switch (1.2 certified) and due to it being passive with no signal boosting and cable length I can't run my consoles in 1080p. I use Toslink for the audio any way.

My PC which doesn't do HDMI audio, passes 1080p/60 no problem.

Oreoleo

You might be able to just download an official .iso and copy the files from it to a USB drive. I think the links for the images were posted in the last page or so of the "I need a new PC" thread.

You definitely can. As long as the USB stick is formatted to be bootable, you can use the files from a downloaded ISO no problem.

Is there a way to disable HDMI audio on PS3 and Xbox 360?

There for sure is on PS3, should just be under audio settings somewhere. You can have audio and video outputting from different ports. Not sure about the 360, however.

We've all heard of actors who've worked out extensively for 8-10 weeks to prepare for a role (with obvious schedule and limited meal choice with high protein), to get cut up and buff. But then, they lose it once they stop working out as extensively and doing cardio.

What is the physiological reason your body never *stays* in shape and your muscles cut to *perfection*?

Every other organ and system matures and grows with you and *stays* that way (generally speaking with no outside influences such as diseases and what not), but the sole exception (to my knowledge) is the muscular system and the cardiovascular system.

If you miss two weeks of not running, that 10 minute two-mile run turns into a 13-15 minute.

Why?

Cyan

Banned
We've all heard of actors who've worked out extensively for 8-10 weeks to prepare for a role (with obvious schedule and limited meal choice with high protein), to get cut up and buff. But then, they lose it once they stop working out as extensively and doing cardio.

What is the physiological reason your body never *stays* in shape and your muscles cut to *perfection*?

Every other organ and system matures and grows with you and *stays* that way (generally speaking with no outside influences such as diseases and what not), but the sole exception (to my knowledge) is the muscular system and the cardiovascular system.

If you miss two weeks of not running, that 10 minute two-mile run turns into a 13-15 minute.

Why?

My guess: high metabolic cost to maintain it. Thus, it only stays around if you need it. The only way your body can tell if you need it is when you use it.

Magnus

Facebook question.

My buddy's just been through a gut-wrenching breakup. He's obviously unfriended his ex, but also continues to see status updates involving the ex in his news feed. Is there a way for him to basically block all updates involving the ex?

Will the 'Block' function accomplish that, or will that just block messages from coming in from the ex?

Thanks.

Facebook question.

My buddy's just been through a gut-wrenching breakup. He's obviously unfriended his ex, but also continues to see status updates involving the ex in his news feed. Is there a way for him to basically block all updates involving the ex?

Will the 'Block' function accomplish that, or will that just block messages from coming in from the ex?

Thanks.
The block function will accomplish that.

Minamu

Facebook question.

Thanks.
Block will block *everything*. It might be that he is subscribing to her news feed. A person (class mate no less) recently removed me from his friends list and I was apparently subscribing to him for some reason and I could see the things he liked and commented on. It should be next to the "add as a friend" button.

I have: Turtle Beach P11; PS3; Macbook Pro.

I want: to record my voice while I play with the mic from the P11s.

Can this be done without any additional equipment? If so, please provide a step-by-step of how to accomplish this. If not, a simple no will do.

Thank you. :)

My guess: high metabolic cost to maintain it. Thus, it only stays around if you need it. The only way your body can tell if you need it is when you use it.

yup, muscles account for a huge portion of energy consumption through ATP, so your body tries to move that energy elsewhere if you aren't actively exerting those muscles.
Use it or Lose it said:
Much of who you are as an adult is a modified — stress-adapted — version of an original template. What would you be like if you had never had anything but extremely mild physical stresses in your life? What if you grew up in a padded, zero-G room? You would literally be fragile. Your bones would be like Styrofoam. You would look different: your skin would be a different colour and texture, your joints a different shape. You wouldn’t be able to do much of anything in normal gravity.

Most of who you are and what you are physically capable of is the result of adaptation to stress.

All of biology is organized around adaptive reactions to stimuli: immediate reflex (neurological) responses, nearly immediate hormonal and behavioural responses, tissue change responses. Every response is about improving conditions for the organism. Starting to fall down? The organism reacts to stop it. Regular pounding impact on your legs? Make the bones stronger. Etc.

Take away the stresses, and the body steadily stops investing energy in unnecessary adaptations. Adapting is “expensive.” You don’t do it if you don’t have to.

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/biological-literacy/use-it.php

MarkusRJR

Is there anyway to fix a stuck pixel? I have a 3 month old LCD TV that recently got a stuck pixel and it's really bothering me. I've tried massaging it with my finger and I left one of those flashing color videos play for 3 hours but nothing has worked so far. Any advise?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I got the HTIB working, and after some wrangling it was only around $45, so I guess I got what I paid for, but is there any decent solution for playing Blu-rays that only have a DTS track when this thing seems to only decode Dolby Digital? I know I won't actually get discrete channels like with the Dolby tracks, but does DPLII at least sound better than telling it to run two channels through all five speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom