• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how to browse my phone in vista using buetooth? I paired it without any problem and figured out how to send one single file..but isn't there a way to browse the SD card in my phone and send folders?

accx

Since there's "post new pictures of yourself 20xx version" here; is there an equivalent thread for posting older pics of yourself?
I was pretty hot when i was younger.

Trin

I wanted to purchase some theatrical contact lenses for my Halloween costume this year. Unfortunately, the optometrist I purchase my regular prescription contacts from only has the natural looking colors. I've heard some horror stories about purchasing the cooler looking lenses online, so I don't want to risk buying some terrible brand that could hurt my eyes.

Ideally, I'd like to find a pair that has that shade of bright blue that almost seems to glow, like the ones seen in the film Underworld. I know they probably use some special effects for the movie, but I've seen some normal people wear ones with a very similar look. I think they use a blue with white highlights to achieve the effect. Does anyone have experience purchasing from a safe and affordable vendor who sells contacts like these? Any suggestions or additional information would be really appreciated!

Does anyone know the name of that website that's a film backloggery? They have every movie possible and you have your own list you add/remove from, and can mark if "Watched" or not.

Toppot

I can't find the youtube account that has a guy messily making food things on a worktop. This is a gif of his work but I can't find the account/videos =/

Cooking-for-myself.gif

Anyone have experience installing a pet door?

Yes, but not it was not a good one :)

Basically my buddy installed the door on the wrong side (top side). It required us to obviously flip the door and adjust the hinges to make it fit. The handle is higher than on a normal door, but you wouldn't notice unless we pointed it out.

Sorry to not be much help, just a reminder to make sure you are 100% sure you're installing it on the proper end of the door :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yes, but not it was not a good one :)

Basically my buddy installed the door on the wrong side (top side). It required us to obviously flip the door and adjust the hinges to make it fit. The handle is higher than on a normal door, but you wouldn't notice unless we pointed it out.

Sorry to not be much help, just a reminder to make sure you are 100% sure you're installing it on the proper end of the door :)

Excellent tip that I will make sure I follow!

Was it a basic interior door or an exterior reinforced one?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
How exactly does Dolby Pro Logic II work? I've gathered from the sites I've viewed that it's basically a decoding program that simulates surround from a 2 channel source, but some seem to indicate that various 2 channel sources can be encoded to make DLPII work better. As I mentioned the last time I tried to ask this, I got a cheap Panny HTIB that works well enough for $45, and will work even better if they let me return and rebuy it for about $30ish tomorrow. >:D It only does Dolby Digital, so no DTS sadly. It does have a mode for DLPII that seems to work when I feed it from the Audio Return Channel off the HDMI from the TV. I noticed that it actually does a decent job of keeping dialogue in the center speaker, with a little bit bleeding off to the front speakers, and not a lot coming from the surrounds. Obviously DLPII should be able to at least maintain the lefts and rights of stereo, but what does it actually do for the surround speakers?

Stupid question for Weekend Confirmed fans - at about 57:45 in they go to a break (which I never understand for Podcasts) and its a Pete Townsend song that's kinda jazzy/funky instrumental with guitar. Does anyone know what song that is from?

Excellent tip that I will make sure I follow!

Was it a basic interior door or an exterior reinforced one?

Standard interior thankfully.

In order to keep the questions going, I'll try one ore time for suggestions of sites to follow on my Google Reader app. I'm into tech, sports, movies, general news, videogames, etc.

Grammar question:

That necklace was broken but it on the desk was not.

Ok, I know this sentence is incorrect, but can anyone explain to me why it's incorrect? 'it' can be replaced by 'the necklace' or 'the one' to make the sentence correct, so why not the other way around? Is it because 'it' is too vague?

Cyan

Banned
Grammar question:

Ok, I know this sentence is incorrect, but can anyone explain to me why it's incorrect? 'it' can be replaced by 'the necklace' or 'the one' to make the sentence correct, so why not the other way around? Is it because 'it' is too vague?

"It" refers to the original necklace, "the necklace" or "the one" to a different necklace.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou", there is a scene where Bill Murray goes to visit Anjelica Huston at a villa, and there's this shirtless guy with really long curly hair there with her. Who is that guy?

Is Steam allowed to be in the Windows Store (Windows 8)? My current answer, according to the Windows Store App Developer Agreement, is yes. That's only with a quick glance over the policy, though.

If so, I would assume that Gabe Newell is reasonably worried about something else in regards to the direction Microsoft is going. I'd like to know the specifics to that.

Microsoft plans to take a 20 to 30 percent cut from the new app store. (Read more here)
It comes down to a technicality. The policy allows in-app purchases that without using "Microsoft's commerce engine". Only then there will be fees. Or so I think, from reading their policy.
e. In-App Commerce. You may elect to support purchasing options from within your app. You are not required to use Microsoft’s commerce engine to support those purchases. If you choose to use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine, purchases will be subject to the terms of this Agreement, including without limitation the Store Fee and licensing and roaming requirements. You may not use Microsoft’s in-app purchase commerce engine to support the sale of physical goods from within your Application. If your Application uses a non-Microsoft commerce engine, you must disclose that information in the product description.

If so, I would assume that Gabe Newell is reasonably worried about something else in regards to the direction Microsoft is going. I'd like to know the specifics to that.
edit: here's Micrsoft's policy: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspx

Fat Goron

That thread with quotes from a forum with a bunch of weird people who believed the digiworld was real is still alive? Anyone has a link to it?

Oreoleo

Where do people store extra belts they aren't wearing?

I'm cleaning my room and have come up with like 6 belts and don't know what do with them.

pax217

ultron87

Where do people store extra belts they aren't wearing?

I'm cleaning my room and have come up with like 6 belts and don't know what do with them.

I have mine of a hangar in the closet. You can get special hangars that will hold a bunch of belts, but I just use a normal one with several belts on top of each other.

Oreoleo

That's so crazy it just might work! Thanks.

I have mine of a hangar in the closet. You can get special hangars that will hold a bunch of belts, but I just use a normal one with several belts on top of each other.

I'm not entirely sure how you mean. You just drape them over the hangar and hope they don't slide off? Or you thread the hook part of the hangar through the belt buckle?

I feel like I'm over-thinking this.

StuBurns

Banned
Hello Neogafites, whilst Skyping with a friend of mine yesterday, I was reminded of something from a film, "I know you're in there boy, I can hear you breathin'", I can't remember where it is from, anyone know?

SolKane

Grammar question:

"It" refers to the original necklace, "the necklace" or "the one" to a different necklace.

Just to go back to this one, because I think the answer was kind of misleading. There's nothing wrong with using "it" in this sentence, but you have it in the wrong place. Basically this is not correct because it doesn't follow the rules of English syntax (ordering of elements in a sentence). Either of these would be correct if you wanted to use "it":

"The necklace was broken, but it was not on the desk."
"The necklace was broken, but on the desk it was not."

Note that the first sentence is the most generic sounding, while the second would have a different intonation (stress on the phrase "on the desk") and a subtly different meaning.

t-ramp

Just to go back to this one, because I think the answer was kind of misleading. There's nothing wrong with using "it" in this sentence, but you have it in the wrong place. Basically this is not correct because it doesn't follow the rules of English syntax (ordering of elements in a sentence). Either of these would be correct if you wanted to use "it":

"The necklace was broken, but it was not on the desk."
"The necklace was broken, but on the desk it was not."

Note that the first sentence is the most generic sounding, while the second would have a different intonation (stress on the phrase "on the desk") and a subtly different meaning.
I think the original sentence implied the existence of two necklaces. So "the one" would make more sense than any use of "it". Cyan was pointing out that you can't use "it" as the subject of the second clause if you're referring to the second necklace.

Your examples are valid if you're talking about one object.

SolKane

I think the original sentence implied the existence of two necklaces. So "the one" would make more sense than any use of "it". Cyan was pointing out that you can't use "it" as the subject of the second clause if you're referring to the second necklace.

Your examples are, of course, valid if you're talking about one object.

Never mind, I just realized I misinterpreted the meaning. I guess the sentence was meant to be interpreted as:

That necklace was broken, but it ([the one] on the desk) was not.

My mistake. English!

Magnus

I feel completely stupid.

I'm trying to put music on a family member's Sansa Clip for them, and just can't understand why things aren't showing up correctly on the damned thing.

Files don't seem to be organized by folder, nor ID3 tag. How are they organized? I'm cleaning up their tags, AND putting them in folders on the Clip, and they still display in a completely disorganized manner on the damned thing. About the only place they all appear is in the Recently Added list.

What gives?

Hey You

I have a question about the Security system in my Uncle's 2006 Chevy Colbat.

The remote to unlock/lock the doors wasn't working, so I used the key to enter the car.

A little alarm was going off, so I thought If I start the car it would shut off. I put the key in the ignition and go to start it but it won't go to the start position. I then try to take the key out and it's stuck, it won't pull back into the off position to get the key out. We can't put it in gear.

I've tried searching but cannot find any solutions, any gaffers have any ideas/suggestions?

EDIT: Turns out the battery might be dead. Just jumpstarted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom