• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izick

How shitty is your laptop? Does it impede your normal use of it?

Um, not really. I only use it to watch videos, browse Gaf, and write papers/do school shit. I can do everything perfectly fine, except for sometimes I have to download flash videos depending on the site. Blip and Springboard videos for example are always too laggy. It's not that bad though, and everything else is fine.

neocoder

Banned
Currently 67 degree in my house with a low tonight of 27. Will we be fine to leave the furnace off? Specifically the pipes, not worried about personal comfort.

Only reason I ask is because we recently discovered a crack in the heat exchanger and we are waiting for repairs before we use it since a carbon monoxide leak is a risk.

Assuming that you don't have pipes in exterior walls, yes, you should be fine having the heat off for a couple of nights. The house is a pretty large mass and it would take awhile for it to get to freezing temperatures.

I bashed my desk in the night last night and didn't realise 'til this morning that managed to knock a glass of lemonade over...straight on top of my DS3. Now the d-pad/L1/L2 don't work at all.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of a way to fix it? I'm considering putting some water over it to hopefully dislodge the sticky lemonade and then doing the rice trick? Didn't wanna do anything rash though without consulting the Neogurus!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How do you write the letter "g" like this?

HPlid.png

Like, I need a tutorial. It always looks like shit when I try it on paper.

Angst

I bashed my desk in the night last night and didn't realise 'til this morning that managed to knock a glass of lemonade over...straight on top of my DS3. Now the d-pad/L1/L2 don't work at all.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of a way to fix it? I'm considering putting some water over it to hopefully dislodge the sticky lemonade and then doing the rice trick? Didn't wanna do anything rash though without consulting the Neogurus!

Try opening it up (I believe there are screws underneath), remove the triggers and clean the parts in water with a little bit of detergent. Don't put any of the cables / circuitry or things like that in the water.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does GAF have an OT dedicated to webdesign? I'm struggling with something at the moment and I could use some good advice.

Robso

Not sure if this belongs here, not entirely sure where to place it...

How many posts do you need to be able to make a thread here?

J-Rod

What's the best suit of armor we could create using today's technology if it was intended to be used in Europe during the Middle Ages? How much more lighter, flexible, resilient, and effective would it be compared to traditional armor for that time period?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I imagine not a lot would be different in terms of an outer plate suit aside from better joints and perhaps using titanium for weight reduction. I think the biggest improvement would come from the under layers such as kevlar plates/layers which would be more protective. That is in a whole outfit modern proposition vs. just the outer suit of armor being modern.

Not an expert though, would love to see what people think, and some mockup designs if people are artistic

Mordeccai

I'm looking for the gif where a grey haired man stares intensely at the camera, stirring his drink, and violently flips his table over with an explosion. It kills me. Can anybody help a brother out?

Mordeccai

:(

Dude, that's Alan Rickman!

My knowledge of actors and celebs is severely lacking, to the behest of my movie knowledgeable roommate.

edit: found on google thanks to his name, but they're all horrible low framerate sub-hd tumblr quality gifs! Does someone have the HD one floating around?

Unai

Guys, I just bought an xbox 360 and a retail game, Fallout 3. Latter on I realized that the marktplace is awsome, even more if you live in my country, where retail games are super expensive.

So my question is, if I buy a downloadable game that I already have in physical disc format, will the game saves still be playable or will I have do start the game again?

Mordeccai

Does it have to be a gif? Would you want the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eob7V_WtAVg

If that's you in your avatar - sweet Sublime shirt. I used to have that one too. :b

Thanks man! Gotta get around to changing my avatar though. Been too lazy find a new one since July.

Many thanks to both of you. Sunhi thank you for making this .gif the explosion one is truly the pinnacle of moving picture imagery.

Chrono

Banned
This is driving me insane. I got an iPad and I can't set it up because it keeps telling me the apple ID or password was entered incorrectly, and they were not. I checked AGAIN AND AGAIN. ARGH.

Before that I had to get a new e-mail and change the ID to an e-mail address, and new password, and had problems authenticating while the message that popped out telling me that had a different e-mail than the one I newly registered as my ID. For some reason that's all gone now, it's just this ID/Pass entered incorrectly message. I tried taking out the '@gmail.com' part (which was stupid because I changed to a new apple ID because it HAD to e an e-mail) and a new message giving me an error pops out immediately on the same page where as the old one is after agreeing to terms.

Speevy

Banned
I slept through art class (apparently) in elementary school.

Now I'm designing creative projects for Kindergarten. What's the best "clay" for easy cleanup? Is there one that doesn't come off on your hands?

Oreoleo

This is driving me insane. I got an iPad and I can't set it up because it keeps telling me the apple ID or password was entered incorrectly, and they were not. I checked AGAIN AND AGAIN. ARGH.

Before that I had to get a new e-mail and change the ID to an e-mail address, and new password, and had problems authenticating while the message that popped out telling me that had a different e-mail than the one I newly registered as my ID. For some reason that's all gone now, it's just this ID/Pass entered incorrectly message. I tried taking out the '@gmail.com' part (which was stupid because I changed to a new apple ID because it HAD to e an e-mail) and a new message giving me an error pops out immediately on the same page where as the old one is after agreeing to terms.

I seem to recall major headaches trying to help my mom set up her iDevice because Apple required both upper and lower case letters in her password without either of us realizing it. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's where your trouble is stemming from, as well.

Heres a question that I thought didn't deserve a thread:

I have att phone and internet for my home and my download speed is usually around 5-6 Megs. (Tho I have no idea what plan I am on.) But within the last few days its dropped from anywhere from 2.5 megs to as low as 0.10 megs. Its usually around 0.50 megs now.

I tried a different filter, tried to plug the internet direcly into the phone jack without a filter/phone. (Resetting the modem/router each time I do this.) and called customer support three times and they don't know jack. They told us too switch filters, plug just the internet in and bypass the filter, connecting a laptop direcly to the modem through a ethernet cord (it was the same speed), and even get a shorter phone cord. We've done it all and its still going slow.

I have not connected anything wirelessly to it to make it go slower either. Everything is connected as it has always been connected.

One hour after typing this but before posting edit: Now its going anywhere between 1-4 megs (usually around 2.5) without any pattern. (I set it to the same conditions with all of my wireless stuff thats connected to the router in standbye and it is usually 5-6 megs in these same conditions) I just can't possibly think of anything else to do. I need that speed and after googling like crazy, it seems what I already tried fixed everyone elses problems but not mine. If anyone can think of anything else I can try then please tell me. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Now its normal at 5.24 but it could still go down at anytime. Hopefully it stays this high. This is so confusing. Still post anything else I can do incase it acts again. It was at 5 last night after it messed up earlier in the day and dropped again earlier today :/

IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Edit2: Now its 2.34. I am doing nothing different each time I test this. It really is making no sense at all.

Edit3: It is now working properly. Guess I just have too hope for the best with this lol.

Feep

Banned
We all know of bonds between atoms that form molecules...ionic, covalent, metallic.

But in some solid mass of molecules, let's say, a credit card made of plastic...what forces are holding all the plastic molecules together? When you cut the credit card in half, these bonds are broken...is energy released? Is that lost energy the reason why the credit card doesn't just glue itself back together when the two halves are pressed against each other?

Never really got a clear answer on this.

Plastics are typically polymers i.e. one large molecule consisting of smaller repeatable elements. When you divide a credit card in two parts you'll end up with two large molecules and some broken covalent bonds. There will be a small energy release, but it's not noticeable on a macro level. To glue the card back together you would need to form new bonds.

Edit: I suppose they don't have to be a single molecule. They could just as well be interconnected macromolecules.

Chrono

Banned
I seem to recall major headaches trying to help my mom set up her iDevice because Apple required both upper and lower case letters in her password without either of us realizing it. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's where your trouble is stemming from, as well.

Thanks, but the problem's gone now. The password was fine. I tried using the old apple ID and it worked w/o telling me it has to be an e-mail but it asked me to input one, this time I typed in the new e-mail i got and updated as apple ID on itunes/apple website before, and it worked. Actually it had problems connecting to server for a while, but now it's working.

After that I spend five minutes staring at the calendar app thinking and googling on how to try to exist the damn thing, lol. There's no 'x' icon like on a browser and I didn't know what the home button was for. >_>;

How does penicillin work on gram negative bacteria when their peptidoglycan layer is sandwiched between their plasma membrane and outer membrane?

Pachimari

So whenever I type into some formulas in Chrome, it automatically fills it out with my name, phone number, adress etc. but how do I change these default details?

How does penicillin work on gram negative bacteria when their peptidoglycan layer is sandwiched between their plasma membrane and outer membrane?
It typically won't work. Instead you use antibiotics with other mechanisms (see this list). For instance, Amikacin works by binding to the bacterial 30S ribosomal subunit, causing misreading of mRNA and leaving the bacterium unable to synthesize proteins vital to its growth.

Oreoleo

Nah, I want Autofill to be there, I just want to change my phone number as I have had a new one. I do it at google.com?

Oh, it looks like if you click the blue link "Manage AutoFill settings" right next to there you can edit the info that will be inserted into the form, including phone number.

Feep

Banned
Plastics are typically polymers i.e. one large molecule consisting of smaller repeatable elements. When you divide a credit card in two parts you'll end up with two large molecules and some broken covalent bonds. There will be a small energy release, but it's not noticeable on a macro level. To glue the card back together you would need to form new bonds.

Edit: I suppose they don't have to be a single molecule. They could just as well be interconnected macromolecules.
Well, let's say a bar of pure gold, then. What are those gold atoms being held together by? What if it's a bar of sulfur, a nonmetal?

Scarecrow

Say you had a time machine and wanted to have sex with a cave chick. How far back in time could you go in human pre-history before you couldn't get the lady pregnant?

What's the logical fallacy called when you basically acknowledge *some* of the other sides arguments in an attempt to make you look unbiased and indirectly make your argument look stronger because of it?

Cyan

Banned
What's the logical fallacy called when you basically acknowledge *some* of the other sides arguments in an attempt to make you look unbiased and indirectly make your argument look stronger because of it?

That sounds like a rhetorical technique rather than a logical fallacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom