• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
You might try jiggling the steering wheel. No idea if that'll help at all in an 06 car, but in some older cars that's how you got the key out when it was stuck.

Robso

Does anybody know of any site, if in existence, that has old E3's available to watch/download? From the early 90's or 00's.

Bryan1321

Banned
So Tech-Gaf

I have the oportunity to get one of these phones

What does gaf reccomends?

- LG-L5
- Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus
-Sony Xperia Play 3G

they are going to cost about the same

So any advices would be great

I lost my Photoshop Elements 8.0 disc, and a family member deleted it off my computer. I have the serial number and everything else, but the disc is gone.

What do I do?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just got an iPod Shuffle and I was wondering if there's any way to put music on it without using iTunes? iTunes is a piece of shit and I hate using it. (I also don't have any music on there)

t-ramp

Just got an iPod Shuffle and I was wondering if there's any way to put music on it without using iTunes? iTunes is a piece of shit and I hate using it. (I also don't have any music on there)
iShuffle sounds like a really simple way to drag and drop files and then just run a little program to enable playback.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still getting no answers, but I'll try to be a bit more specific. Is the audio coming back from a TV with ARC the equivalent of if the TV had standard RCA plugs going back to the receiver? If so, as far as sources like a Wii, is that sufficient for a HTIB that purports to do DPLII?

Kawaii

Does anyone know a technique or piece of software (preferably OSX but Windows is fine too) to combine a serie of separate png images to one png sequence (IE: all images next or under eachother combined in one image) ?

t-ramp

Does anyone know a technique or piece of software (preferably OSX but Windows is fine too) to combine a serie of separate png images to one png sequence (IE: all images next or under eachother combined in one image) ?
You can use IrfanView, but it's Windows only I believe. It has a simple horizontal or vertical panorama function, or you can use the contact sheet function to make beautiful composites like this:

kDZNs.jpg

Kawaii

You can use IrfanView, but it's Windows only I believe. It has a simple horizontal or vertical panorama function, or you can use the contact sheet function to make beautiful composites like this:

This is what i mean, anyone know a way i can accomplish this in Photoshop? Or any other OSX App, finding a windows pc is a bitch.

I want to put around 60 images (of the same size) next to each other (to minimize the amount Requests made by an website).

Mars

Banned
Why don't streaming services like TwitchTV serve ads in the video itself, so that you can't AdBlock them or whatever?

Kawaii

Irfanview doesn't preserve my png transparency by the way so this won't solve my problem. But thanks for helping!

Maron

How do I use Final Cut Pro to do stuff like this for my own comics?

I really want to make an audition thread for my series here in the OT but I'm wondering if there'll be any women here interested in voice acting...Guess there's only one way to find out.

tsigo

Is there a place that takes/wants old gaming magazines? I've got every PC Gamer, EGM, EGM2, GamePro and Nintendo Power from like '94 to '06.

If not I'll probably post them in Free to a Good Home for local pickup, or trash 'em. But they gots to go.

endre

My question is kinda strange. Is there a way to get a job (seasonal is a good option) in the USA if one has graduated?

It is strange because as a student I could pursue a work and travel program.

How should I approach this situation? Is it possible? My problem is that I have no relevant work experience.

p.s.: I have graduated in Mechatronics, robotics and automation. From my point of view I would be best at junior software developing positions or positions involving computer aided design.

p.p.s: How hard is it to get an PHD position at a university?

Lirlond

Cant you ask your old advisor of studies? Surely they would point you in the right direction.

Oh and get ready for sarcy replies.

Biff

My question is kinda strange. Is there a way to get a job (seasonal is a good option) in the USA if one has graduated?

It is strange because as a student I could pursue a work and travel program.

How should I approach this situation? Is it possible? My problem is that I have no relevant work experience.

p.s.: I have graduated in Mechatronics, robotics and automation. From my point of view I would be best at junior software developing positions or positions involving computer aided design.

p.p.s: How hard is it to get an PHD position at a university?

I don't understand the question. Are you asking how to get a job? Or how to get a job that recruits grad students after already missing the grad recruiting period?

When I hear "Seasonal" I think Best Buy hiring sales people for the holiday rush. But I assume as a Mechatronics grad this is not what you mean.

endre

I don't understand the question. Are you asking how to get a job? Or how to get a job that recruits grad students after already missing the grad recruiting period?

When I hear "Seasonal" I think Best Buy hiring sales people for the holiday rush. But I assume as a Mechatronics grad this is not what you mean.

I might be wrong using the term seasonal.

I am a person who is whiling to work hard and overtime. I am asking how should I approach the situation? Is it possible or is the competition incredibly hard?

Zoe

You would need a company to sponsor a work visa. It's difficult to find one willing to do that. Your best bet might be to find a company local to your country that has branches in the US.

endre

You would need a company to sponsor a work visa.

Thank You! I know that part, but more personal or whatsoever relevant info might help me more.

sory for my bad english.

EDIT@ Zoe

Your post makes so much more sense after the edit. Thank you.

EDIT2: How do you regulate your heath insurance?

EDIT3:

From the perspective of job opportunities I come from i would accept that best buy position.

but I am asking is it possible for a foreign student (or a recent graduate) to apply for a local job? Or does the local competition kicks you right out?

What can I do if I can't change my password on PS3 since I can't access the e-mail I used for the account anymore? I haven't updated it since the PSN hack, so it sends the password link to the e-mail I can't use (forgot the password). I need to change the e-mail on my PS3 account.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One album (and one album only) causes my iPod (4th gen) to freeze and/or really not work at all, forcing a hard reset. This problem has existed on it from iOS 4 to the current day on iOS 6. I've removed the songs, redownloaded new versions of the files from a different source and it still does. It is only this one album, no others. Which sucks, causes it an awesome EP. :/ The only thing I haven't tried is renaming the tags of the songs, to see if its a weird thing like that.

Any help?

Robso

What can I do if I can't change my password on PS3 since I can't access the e-mail I used for the account anymore? I haven't updated it since the PSN hack, so it sends the password link to the e-mail I can't use (forgot the password). I need to change the e-mail on my PS3 account.

Probably going to have to phone Sony.

Contact lenses. When they say, monthly, or biweekly, does it mean they're good for a full period of usage, or they're only good for so long once you crack em out of the airtight packaging?

Thank You! I know that part, but more personal or whatsoever relevant info might help me more.

sory for my bad english.

EDIT@ Zoe

Your post makes so much more sense after the edit. Thank you.

EDIT2: How do you regulate your heath insurance?

EDIT3:

From the perspective of job opportunities I come from i would accept that best buy position.

but I am asking is it possible for a foreign student (or a recent graduate) to apply for a local job? Or does the local competition kicks you right out?

I think you've got your work cut out for you, ESPECIALLY with Best Buy-level work. The job market in the USA is heavily skewed in favor of the employer these days, and there are many people willing to relocate from all over the country for jobs at all levels. It's just a tough time for it, and competition for fairly low-level work is fiercest because most able-bodied (and local) folks could do it. Basically, a hirer is going to choose an easy option when one is available, and you simply aren't an easy option at the moment.

So as Zoe said, your best bet is really to find a employer local to you with a branch here, then eventually seek transfer. The only case I could really see for the alternative would be if you had a spectacularly specific skill that only you in the whole wide world had, and some amazingly well-funded company required you specifically and would spare no expense or inconvenience to have you.

strobogo

Banned
I have a WD 1TB external hard drive. It is formatted in exFAT. My laptop is Windows 7, while my PC (and the one I use much, much more) is XP. XP can't read exFAT, so I have to transfer all the files on the HDD to the laptop, then format, then put all the files back on. Except I have many files that are over 4 gigs and therefore can't be transferred in FAT32 or NTSC or whatever. Right?

So I find out there is an update for XP to allow access to exFAT. I download the proper one for my PC (XP Pro 2002 Edition, Service Pack 3), but it won't install. It starts to install and gives me Data Error (cyclic redundancy check). And of course, the other versions don't work for my version of Windows. It's not a huge deal, but a big annoyance to have to reformat and retransfer a few hundred gigs and then not be able to transfer some of the files back.

When countries dub movies into English or Vice Versa how is that they make their lips even REMOTELY look like they're saying the English or Foreign Language when the actors are obviously of a different nationality and don't speak said dubbed language.

Minamu

Contact lenses. When they say, monthly, or biweekly, does it mean they're good for a full period of usage, or they're only good for so long once you crack em out of the airtight packaging?
The latter, I'm pretty sure. Once opened, you could wear monthlies for a month, but putting them back in the liquid won't sustain them longer than a month. On the other hand, a friend of mine forgot his dailies in his eyes for about 4 days I think and he survived :) Just really sore and red for a while when he finally noticed it.

fenners

When countries dub movies into English or Vice Versa how is that they make their lips even REMOTELY look like they're saying the English or Foreign Language when the actors are obviously of a different nationality and don't speak said dubbed language.

Sheer luck.They don't reshoot scenes to change the mouth movements :) There's only a limited number of phonemes & you're seeing matches between languages - it's random really.

Anyone else having issues with their news feed on Facebook?

I do in that it only shows me activity from a handful of people and no one else. Other than that, no not having any other problems.

How do I post pictures in comments and how do I do spoiler tag comments?

Click the little square that looks like a mountain with a sun above it and paste your link in there or paste your link in between this ---> (img) (/img) but use brackets instead of parenthesis

Spoiler = type between this --> (spoiler) (/spoiler) but use brackets instead of parenthesis

Pachimari

Alright I'm worried.

I have a receiver connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable. All my electronics are of course connected. To get sound to my cable tv I use a AUX (I think) cable.

But when I wanted to play some PS3 it says 'No Signal' on my screen. I can hear the boot up sound but there's no picture. Nothing when I switch to my Apple TV or Mac Mini either.

I tried using another HDMI cable from the receiver to HDTV but it's the same.

What is wrong? =/

Jzero

Is anyone else's internet slow as hell today?

never mind it's back to normal. a lot of other people were having the same problem though.

Pachimari

Alright I'm worried.

I have a receiver connected to my HDTV with an HDMI cable. All my electronics are of course connected. To get sound to my cable tv I use a AUX (I think) cable.

But when I wanted to play some PS3 it says 'No Signal' on my screen. I can hear the boot up sound but there's no picture. Nothing when I switch to my Apple TV or Mac Mini either.

I tried using another HDMI cable from the receiver to HDTV but it's the same.

What is wrong? =/
Anyone knows what might be wrong?

I guess the receiver still works as it sends audio through the AUX cable to my television and sound can be heart when booting up the PS3. Could it be the tv? Or just the HDMI cable? But I have tried 2 different HDMI cables from the HDTV -> Receiver.

Kerub

Banned
Hi Gaf!

My coworker wants me to fill in a form, but the form is a PDF-file and he has no source file. There's no way to print it out. Is there any way to write things in a PDF-file? I've googled for a bit but didn't find a good solution.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone knows what might be wrong?

I guess the receiver still works as it sends audio through the AUX cable to my television and sound can be heart when booting up the PS3. Could it be the tv? Or just the HDMI cable? But I have tried 2 different HDMI cables from the HDTV -> Receiver.

Try going straight from the PS3 to the TV with an HDMI cable. Could you have also accidently put the reciever into 'analog' mode, so it isn't outputting digital signals?

Pachimari

Try going straight from the PS3 to the TV with an HDMI cable. Could you have also accidently put the reciever into 'analog' mode, so it isn't outputting digital signals?

Just tried connecting my Apple TV directly to my HDTV with HDMI and that works.

So it might be I have changed the Receiver's digital mode to analog?

Owz, gotta see if there's a way to change that in the Settings somewhere.

EDIT:
Hmm it says HDMI on my receiver when I turn it to PS3. It's an Onkyo, less than a year old.

EDIT:
Oh now it works and I don't know what I did. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom