• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Pat's hang-up with the AJ thing is stupid. In their minds the Richmond settlers saw two outcomes:

1. Send Clem w/ AJ resulting in uncertain death. It could be from his illness, a zombie eating him, to a number of other needlessly painful method.

2. Send Clem but keep AJ, allowing for a level of control in comfort over his passing so they can guarantee it as painless as possible.

They made the humane choice for AJ of trying to give him comfort. Hell, they may have been what saved him since they could provide better conditions than someone constantly being on the move to avoid zombies or other people.

Did we really have to wait along with matt for him to finish taking a shit.....

Billy apologized in the comments about forgetting to edit that out, and said he was fixing it.

Pinned by TheSw1tcher
Soushin1 hour ago
Oops, definitely my mistake this time. Pat told me about the bathroom break, I forgot. Well I'm fixing it right now.
Reply 141

Archgan

Pat's hang-up with the AJ thing is stupid. In their minds the Richmond settlers saw two outcomes:

1. Send Clem w/ AJ resulting in uncertain death. It could be from his illness, a zombie eating him, to a number of other needlessly painful method.

2. Send Clem but keep AJ, allowing for a level of control in comfort over his passing so they can guarantee it as painless as possible.

They made the humane choice for AJ of trying to give him comfort. Hell, they may have been what saved him since they could provide better conditions than someone constantly being on the move to avoid zombies or other people.

That logic makes sense if it wasn't immediately preceded by David saying they should have left AJ in the woods.

ArjanN

That's your endgame. That's essentially an emergent goal you assigned yourself. Most people really do not view these games in this way. My goal could be to reach the end with as few non-Clementine characters as possible still standing.

Agreed. None of these types of games (Telltale/ Until Dawn/ Life is Strange etc) really have a mechanical goal like that, the goal of the game is just make the choices you want and see how the chips fall.

So, I know this comes up a lot with Walking Dead and I just want to point it out as a reminder:

Whether or not a character survives doesn't matter unless the character matters after they survive.

"Life or Death" being an automatically important distinction is one of those guttural things they use to manipulate you into ignoring the fact that there are still no narrative consequences. No one gives a shit about Gabe, they can kill him or not kill him at their leisure.

Nah. The point of these games is in the experience of the moment. Even if with hindsight you know a decision/branch ultimately didn''t change much, you didn't know that at the moment you made the choice. Also, just because there's not a huge branching path doesn't mean that different choices can't change the flavor of the story quite a bit.

I'll give you that after a bunch of these games it's become more transparent, but on the other hand the SBF often make the same sort of cynical assumptions and are wrong at least half the time.

zeemumu

For that
"Did you kill Badger"
choice, they assumed it was Tripp who does it if you don't but it's actually Conrad if you didn't shoot him.

Agreed. None of these types of games (Telltale/ Until Dawn/ Life is Strange etc) really have a mechanical goal like that, the goal of the game is just make the choices you want and see how the chips fall.

Until Dawn does but Walking Dead tends to reward one side more than the other. 400 Days is the biggest indication of that, where most of your choices in that only matter if they leave with her at the end.

Archgan

Paul is the one who suggested the reason keeping AJ was to make him comfortable. David is just the dumb muscle of the operation.

But David is the one who tells Clem to stop and give them AJ. The point is David goes from saying, "We should've abandoned that baby in the woods a week ago," to "Hey, don't take that baby into woods." The situation shouldn't have changed in the eyes of David because he still thinks AJ is going to die. All I'm saying is that is inconsistent.

For the record, I don't have a problem with them keeping the baby because everyone besides David's reasons make sense. It just seems like a lazy way to make Clem hate David whether you give AJ medicine or not.

Until Dawn does but Walking Dead tends to reward one side more than the other. 400 Days is the biggest indication of that, where most of your choices in that only matter if they leave with her at the end.

Until Dawn does at least have the implication that there's a circuitous path through the game that leads to (almost) everyone surviving, and somewhat encourages replaying the game to find it.

Walking Dead very much does not encourage replaying, and arguably breaks down very badly if you play it again to try different choices, since so many of them end up being non-choices where you were supposed to fill in the details of the "path not traveled" with a vivid imagination instead.

Disgraced

Anybody else get irked by those Kelso > Phelps (as a character) YT comments? It is something you always see in LA Noire discussion, and it is always somebody completely missing the point.

Squishy3

Until Dawn does at least have the implication that there's a circuitous path through the game that leads to (almost) everyone surviving, and somewhat encourages replaying the game to find it.
Until Dawn's is actually really good, as for example, I had a member of the cast that just straight up didn't reunite with anyone before the end of the game so when it cycles through everyone in the police station at the end he's asking if anyone else made it out.

edit: also hi yes i still lurk in this thread

But David is the one who tells Clem to stop and give them AJ. The point is David goes from saying, "We should've abandoned that baby in the woods a week ago," to "Hey, don't take that baby into woods." The situation shouldn't have changed in the eyes of David because he still thinks AJ is going to die. All I'm saying is that is inconsistent.

For the record, I don't have a problem with them keeping the baby because everyone besides David's reasons make sense. It just seems like a lazy way to make Clem hate David whether you give AJ medicine or not.

Guess I remembered wrong. I thought it went like...

David: should let babbeh die
Paul: we should comfort the dying child
David: k clem hand babbeh over

joe2187

Banned
Anybody else get irked by those Kelso > Phelps (as a character) YT comments? It is something you always see in LA Noire discussion, and it is always somebody completely missing the point.

Phelps is purposely written to be divisive and, and well unlikable because he's such a straight and narrow boyscout. Kelso is the typical film Noire Anti-Hero, so they're falling for the trope without actually understanding why the focus is on Phelps.

Also, that film reel is the most ridiculous thing in the game and it's kind of embarrassing that it exists, it's like that half assed a way for Kelso to figure out all the players without him doing any of the legwork that Phelps did. I dont even remember that being part of the game.

Disgraced

Phelps is purposely written to be divisive and, and well unlikable because he's such a straight and narrow boyscout. Kelso is the typical film Noire Anti-Hero, so they're falling for the trope without actually understanding why the focus is on Phelps.
YEP.
Also, that film reel is the most ridiculous thing in the game and it's kind of embarrassing that it exists, it's like that half assed a way for Kelso to figure out all the players without him doing any of the legwork that Phelps did. I dont even remember that being part of the game.
And YEP. I remembered the scene but I didn't remember how choreographed the tape was. That stunk.

Finally caught up on Matt's Bible Black LP. Man, it's weird/satisfying to hear him practically die during the weird incest bits, because if you've watched enough anime, you're probably just tired of that shit too, but it's got this extra level to it because the character in game is also sandbagging it.

A.J.

Banned
Little did Miles know, but after returning Martin to the past, an arrow now sat upon display in the MLK dedicated museum. No one knows why Mr. King had this weird arrow and many historians are still speculating today.

A.J.

Banned
That's why he died. He didn't get shot by a gun, he failed to become a stand user.

Nah, he definitely became a stand user. It was originally an artifact being abused by the KKK until he managed to steal it and accidentally got stabbed and became a stand user. It then became a monster of the week scenario where the klan would send their various stand users to try and take the arrow back.

The actual assassination was the five Grand Wizards of all coming together for the big final boss fight. He killed 4 and and crippled the fifth. The fifth one however managed to send his brain controlling parasite stand into MLK's mouth in an attempt to brain control him to destroy his own movement. Martin managed to kill the parasite in his mouth by launching his stand's hand through his cheek. This however was a fatal injury, but this fight was clearly his victory and the final wizard bleed out after witnessing King's sheer force of will move of taking his own life to save his civil right work.

Edit: Also all the KKK members at the time were also Vampires. So this was also King doing his work as a minister.

Labolas

Man, I can't get into Cat Lady. The gameplay and story are so off putting. That's weird because I loved I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

A.J.

Banned
I guess it is also kind of the plot of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter since the confederacy sided with Vampires.

jbggIu9.png

Fuck now i cant point at the channel name when Matt says he doesnt like the name Nintendo Switch.

RIP My old friend you will not be forgotten.

The pedophilia has always been a bonus sounds like a podcast title. It's about as raw as Aryan Resurrection and Crowdfund the Fourth Reich.

L.A Noire part 42, the last TheSw1tcher video ever.

Strimei

It's still TheSw1tcher in my subscriptions.

Same. Url's still thesw1tcher too, and it links to it still.

Anyway, I was wondering why Kelso calls Elsa "Princess" since it seemed a bit too familiar/personal, but then he called the girl that so I'm assuming its more just his go-to nickname for women?

Still kinda weird.

Man, I can't get into Cat Lady. The gameplay and story are so off putting. That's weird because I loved I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

I gave it a try too but as soon as they zoned in to that bloody/messed up padded room a few episodes back, I bailed.

I have a hard time with any media that involves the mentally ill and it sure looked like it was going in that direction...

Mat-triX

Has there been a 3 man video where Matt is actually good in it?

Ever since Liam left, Matt is the third wheel - basically talking to himself, repeating tired memes, and telling random stories to no one - while Pat and Woolie talk to each other.

Has there been a 3 man video where Matt is actually good in it?

Ever since Liam left, Matt is the third wheel - basically talking to himself, repeating tired memes, and telling random stories to no one - while Pat and Woolie talk to each other.
LA Noire is a pretty good showing, since he actually played it back in the day.

Top Bottom