• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

Hiltz

The flying bird mini game looks pretty cool. I just hope the manta ray surfing won't be coming back as well as the dreadful trash bomb throwing.

I would have liked to see the Penguin suit make an appearance. The squishy sound effects of Mario's waddling alone would have made it worthwhile.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ShockingAlberto said:
Now that is definitely Jungle Beat inspired.
It so obviously ripped off from the dragon/wyvern/whatever mini-game in Twilight Princess.

I love the theme tune, but just like what happened with the FFXIII battle theme, I'm already getting tired of its multiple variations.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hiltz said:
The flying bird mini game looks pretty cool. I just hope the manta ray surfing won't be coming back as well as the dreadful trash bomb throwing.

Ray surfing was awesome, I really liked those levels. They were hard if you wanted to get good times (especially the second one), but that's what made them so intense.

But yeah, trash bombing sucked (though I completed both of them on just a few tries during my Luigi playthrough - I had a much harder time the first time through).

GCX

ShockingAlberto said:
N...no?

It's the bird racing from Jungle Beat, but behind the character.

It's the same team.
It's obviously a nod to Jungle Beat but the gameplay is identical to the flying part of TP with those mini turbos and everything.

andymcc

Banned
Hiltz said:

i hope the bird level isn't controlled by tilt, like the manta ray surfing. judging by how he moves on the video that seems to be the case.

zigg

ShockingAlberto said:

It's the same team.
Yes, it is the same team, but it's really not very mechanically similar to the Chopperbird race (near as I can tell from this little clip, at least) at all.

I, too, thought first of the TP race when I saw this, though that one was nowhere near as memorable.

Edit: GCX nailed it.

Edit 2: What, people hated the ray surfing stars too? Trash bombing I can understand, but ray surfing was cool.

CoolS

You people just made me buy Jungle Beat. GC Version since it was even cheaper than the Wii one.
Now let's see if it is really that good.

zigg

CoolS said:
You people just made me buy Jungle Beat. GC Version since it was even cheaper than the Wii one.
Hell, watching JB videos now is making me want to go play it again while waiting for G2.

wRATH2x

Banned
CoolS said:
We only did it because we love you! Now go have fun!

Is it me or does Galaxy 2 look even more linear than its predecessor?

Oh and I would love the new Zelda to have Prince Of Persia 2008's graphical style. Too bad the Wii doesn't have that graphical power.

The Hermit

ShockingAlberto said:
N...no?

It's the same team.

pretty fucking much. It's the same thing...

Actually that even reminded that race in the last stage of DKC2

KingDirk

Oh man that music is so relaxing. Gitdamn.

And I love the manta ray segments. I was awful at them, but you really felt a sense of accomplishment at the end.

Also, Jungle Beat is phenomenal, suckers.

scitek

CoolS said:
It is. And the GC version stomps the Wii version into the ground IMO.

wRATH2x

Banned
GCX said:
I think it's Nintendo's goal to make it more linear and that way more accessible.
Well that sucks.
AceBandage said:
Eh?
The Wii could probably pull off something very close to that technique.
I know but probably not as good. Would still love to see it though.

So if motion controls are being used to control the bird in the latest video, which way do you hold the Wii Remote? I was thinking sideways until I saw the cursor, so now I'm thinking it's upright like the rolling ball...

cooljeanius said:
So if motion controls are being used to control the bird in the latest video, which way do you hold the Wii Remote? I was thinking sideways until I saw the cursor, so now I'm thinking it's upright like the rolling ball...

If it was upright, you wouldn't see the cursor either.
You probably use the control stick, honestly.

cooljeanius said:
Probably like the ray surfing

AceBandage said:
If it was upright, you wouldn't see the cursor either.
You probably use the control stick, honestly.
I saw the cursor sometimes when I tilted it really far forwards when doing the ball rolling. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that it's motion controls and not the control stick.

ShockingAlberto said:
Probably like the ray surfing
But with the ray surfing, they took the cursor away the whole time even though it was pointing at the screen, so you never saw it at all. I remember this because the only way to get star bits in the ray surfing levels was to get a second player to collect them for you. If it were controlled like ray surfing and they decided to keep the cursor instead of hiding it, you'd see the cursor the whole time rather than for just the brief snippet we saw in the video. Holding it upright is the only position I can think of where it makes sense for it to show up some of the time but not all of the time.

CassSept

Is there any way to turn on drums control in wii version of DKJB :(? I want to grab this game but I can't find any place from which I could get the gc version :/

Varjet

CassSept said:
Is there any way to turn on drums control in wii version of DKJB :(? I want to grab this game but I can't find any place from which I could get the gc version :/
It's called New Play Control, not Drum Play Control.

The bongo control scheme in DKJB is nothing more than a novelty anyway. The drums add nothing to the experience, they only serve to hamper your ability to control DK effectively.

nincompoop said:
The bongo control scheme in DKJB is nothing more than a novelty anyway. The drums add nothing to the experience, they only serve to hamper your ability to control DK effectively.
I disagree, personally. I thought that they were central to the experience and it would have felt much worse without them.

And did feel much worse without them, so we don't even have to speculate!

Awwww, I was hoping that Bird Mario would be a power-up allowing you to flying around levels (like the Winged-Cap from Super Mario 64). I'm a bit disappointed that it's just copy-and-paste minigame like the dragon flying minigame in Twilight Princess.

Oh well...

nincompoop said:
No way! That game was build with the bongo controller in mind. Without it, it feels... like it's missing its soul or something.

Speaking of which, the SuperMario Galaxy team should take on a new Donkey Kong title since Nintendo currently isn't doing anything with the license. Perhaps it would be inspired by both JB and the Country games? That would be really nice.

zigg

GCX said:
I think it's Nintendo's goal to make it more linear and that way more accessible.
Being more linear made Galaxy better, more focussed. If it makes it more accessible, that's just a bonus.

Same thing as the apparent inclusion of more 2D sections. They were awesome, so more of them makes sense purely from the perspective of making the game as a whole better... if they make some 2D Mario fans more comfortable with the game, too, then fantastic!

selig

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
N...no?

It's the same team.

No. It is EXACTLY the same as the bird monster-flying in Twilight Princess. Down to the animations of the bird itself.

Which, btw., makes me scared that Nintendo might re-use TP-bits for Zelda Wii. Hopefully, they´re online reusing this for SMG2.

zigg said:
Being more linear made Galaxy better, more focussed.
I disagree.

The linear nature of Galaxy turned down the replay value by a lot. Linear level design is fine in 2D games when you can blast through the levels, find shortcuts and secrets, and speedrun after you master the level's design and timing, but Galaxy prevents that. The levels are too chopped up and divided, so you pretty much forced to play them the same way and at the same speed everytime. You can experiment with the gravity effects here and there, but going back to old levels seems... boring.

For 3D, I think bigger, more open worlds that aren't chopped up are for the best. I mean, I still go back to Super Mario 64 all the time since that game is more open, so you have more oppertunities for shortcuts, speeding through obstacles, and just running around to explore.

With all that said, it seemed like Galaxy 2 is closer to the 2D games because faster paced less divided. Unfortunately, you seem to only be given power-ups when you NEED them (just like the first Galaxy), so, again, you'll probably have to play through levels the same way every time.

selig

Banned
Your original claim was this.

ShockingAlberto said:
Regulus Tera said:
It so obviously ripped off from the dragon/wyvern/whatever mini-game in Twilight Princess.
N...no?

It's the same team.

To which I responded.

wRATH2x

Banned
KeeSomething said:
I disagree.

The linear nature of Galaxy turned down the replay value by a lot. Linear level design is fine in 2D games when you can blast through the levels, find shortcuts and secrets, and speedrun after you master the level's design and timing, but Galaxy prevents that. The levels are too chopped up and divided, so you pretty much forced to play them the same way and at the same speed everytime. You can experiment with the gravity effects here and there, but going back to old levels seems... boring.

For 3D, I think bigger, more open worlds that aren't chopped up are for the best. I mean, I still go back to Super Mario 64 all the time since that game is more open, so you have more oppertunities for shortcuts, speeding through obstacles, and just running around to explore.

With all that said, it seemed like Galaxy 2 is closer to the 2D games because faster paced less divided. Unfortunately, you seem to only be given power-ups when you NEED them (just like the first Galaxy), so, again, you'll probably have to play through levels the same way every time.
Exactly, word for word what I was going to post.

Looks like our non-linear, 64/sunshine styled mario is dead though, I've come to accept that. And maybe I'll enjoy Galaxy 2 a lot more knowing how linear it will be.

KeeSomething said:
Come on.

It's the same minigame as in Twilight Princess. I bet it even controls the same. Why even deny?
Because we don't know that and you're assuming things? I'm going based on games this team has done and how there's already a DKJB-like level in the game that we've already seen.

Selig is claiming it is taken completely from Twilight Princess, animations and all. Which is just stupid.

Top Bottom