• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

selig

Banned
Btw. something I even read in this topic and simply disagree with:

Super Mario Galaxy is the revolutionary Mario-game that brought the franchise to new heights, while Twilight Princess is just another Zelda-title.

Guess what, both are the exact same to their respective franchise. Both Galaxy 1 and Twilight Princes took the best of past games and brought it together into one epic game. TP had the best dungeons, best story and just round gameplay, while Galaxy combined 2D and 3D-Mario gameplay. Neither of the two was revolutionary, and I really hope that the Mario-game after SMG2 breaks free from the known formula. Just like I hope for the Zelda-series with Zelda Wii.

But the bias for SMG and against TP is silly.

alberto, the idea of selig being more right than you about something is horrifying and earth-shattering, but i just looked up videos of jungle beat's bird races because i never played that game

and it doesn't look anything like the thing in mario galaxy 2. in jungle beat, it looks like you hit the bongos to make the bird flap its wings faster, where in mario galaxy 2 the bird is gliding and you make it do a boost

selig said:
TP had the ... best story and just round gameplay

okay, i can sleep at night, selig remains a universal constant of dumb

nincompoop said:
The bongo control scheme in DKJB is nothing more than a novelty anyway. The drums add nothing to the experience, they only serve to hamper your ability to control DK effectively.

Hardly, given that the game was designed around that control scheme. The controls are absolutely perfect for the type of game it is and the way its levels are designed.

Black-Wind said:
Noooope, he is right. :/

Really? Best story? I'd give that honour to Majora's Mask (regardless of the fact nearly all of its story had to be hunted down by the player).

NOT THAT THAT MATTERS seeing as this is the Mario Galaxy 2 thread :p

selig

Banned
Green Scar said:
Really? Best story? I'd give that honour to Majora's Mask (regardless of the fact nearly all of its story had to be hunted down by the player).

Now you´re confusing plot with story.

Uh, oh! As much as I love to talk about Zelda, this thread will become a war if we bring up Twilight Princess. Let's leave that for the future Zelda Wii thread.

So, . . . this Galaxy 2 game looks pretty good, huh?

Black-Wind said:
Noooope, he is right. :/

twilight princess' attempt at telling an "epic" story was so absolutely pathetic that i hope that either they never try that route again, or they just call in some other nintendo team with competent writers to do it

mario galaxy 1's optional story about rosalina's past and batshit insane ending were practically more entertaining and satisfying than TP's story

Hero of Canton said:
Hardly, given that the game was designed around that control scheme. The controls are absolutely perfect for the type of game it is and the way its levels are designed.
True, in the sense that the level design had to be considerably dumbed down to accomodate the fact that you're controlling your character with FREAKING BONGOS! If you attempted to play any other sidescroller with a similar control scheme you would fall flat on your face.

Now I haven't played the NPC version but I read that the levels designs were changed up a bit to accomodate the new controls, is this not correct?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
nincompoop said:
The bongo control scheme in DKJB is nothing more than a novelty anyway. The drums add nothing to the experience, they only serve to hamper your ability to control DK effectively.

So let me get this straight..... You're trying to say that Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is better played with the GCN controller/Wiimote controller instead of the control scheme in which the ENTIRE game was not only designed to be played with, but also the only reason DKJB even exists; The Donkey Konga Drums?

:lol :lol :lol

Now I've seen everything.

wRATH2x said:
I'm not sure Bob, but since this is mario I'd expect it.
I know it's been mentioned, but that bird race stage really reminds me of Donkey Kong. I haven't played that game in a while, but something tells me that Galaxy 2's other unrevealed power-ups could be based on elements we saw in Jungle Beat.

What other power-ups are there in DKJB?

A fellow Reboot fan, eh?

RusselUp

Just wanted to chime in real quick. There are a couple of notable differences from the TP bird sequence and the Galaxy 2 one, such as TP using the remote for aiming where your bird is going. Galaxy 2 doesn't seem to. If anything, it'll either use a similar manta ray-like control from the first game where you'll have to tilt the Wii Remote or use the analog stick. Plus if I'm not mistaken, the TP bird sequence was simply just flying the creature and dodging obstacles/hitting balloons while the bird sequence in Galaxy 2 has been described as 'gliding' with having to take momentum into account along with it being more of a time trial/race.

Using the most recent IGN preview and the video as references. Just my observations.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't know we moved away from the TP talk. ><

KeeSomething said:
Hey, guys!

Is there a jungle themed level confirmed? Or is it just for that minigame?

I don't think it's confirmed yet; the only media where I've seen the jungle are that video and a single screenshot of Mario riding the bird from a while ago:

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100224002511349.jpg

But it would be crazy if they made all these jungle assets and only used them for a minigame.

Skiesofwonder said:
So let me get this straight..... You're trying to say that Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is better played with the GCN controller/Wiimote controller instead of the control scheme in which the ENTIRE game was not only designed to be played with, but also the only reason DKJB even exists; The Donkey Konga Drums?

:lol :lol :lol

Now I've seen everything.
So you would've rather the NPC version controlled by shaking the Wii remote to move right and shaking the nunchuk to move left? It doesn't matter how the game was designed, an awkward gimmicky control scheme is an awkward gimmicky control scheme.

Speevy

Banned
nincompoop said:
What the hell does Metacritic have to do with anything? :lol

Because your opinion doesn't reflect the response it got.

Critics agreed that whatever DKJB's flaws, the bongos only served to make the game unique and rewarding.

Speevy said:
Because your opinion doesn't reflect the response it got.

Critics agreed that whatever DKJB's flaws, the bongos only served to make the game unique and rewarding.
And the opinions of people who hardly pay attention to the games they review are supposed to mean anything? Judging by the complaints about the length and lack of difficulty, I doubt a single platinum crest was collected (or even attempted) among the writers of the long list of reviews you posted. The controls worked fine if you're trying to blow through the game as fast as possible like these reviewers did, but they proved to be a hindrance while trying to achieve a high score on the levels.

faridmon

Glass Soldier said:
To be perfectly honest, I'm more worried than ever. This is my first year at University and I've been caught pretty off-guard due to underestimating it (or overestimating myself :lol Never had any problems at High-School). I'm not playing anything right now and my backlog just keeps growing (got TvC, MH3 and S&P2 day 1 and grabbed REmake and Boom Blox Smash Party because they were discounted. fuck.). Oh well.
i am in Uni as well, and i am lucky to be broke right now. or I would fail this year:lol

Poyunch

KeeSomething said:
Come on.

It's the same minigame as in Twilight Princess. I bet it even controls the same. Why even deny?
Actually reading the IGN preview explains that momentum is important in this level. You don't actually fly but glide. That's an entirely different way of playing than Twilight Princess' bird levels.

Leezard

PounchEnvy said:
Actually reading the IGN preview explains that momentum is important in this level. You don't actually fly but glide. That's an entirely different way of playing than Twilight Princess' bird levels.

It does sound like it would be different from that. The video made it seem really similar to the TP minigame though.

nincompoop said:
What the hell does Metacritic have to do with anything? :lol

DKJB was a good game hampered by a poor control scheme, end of story.

You can't call end of story. Stop trying to force your crappy opinion on us. The game was made for the bongos and it played PERFECTLY with them. Any problems where from your ineptitude as a player, not the controls

Poyunch

Leezard said:
It does sound like it would be different from that. The video made it seem really similar to the TP minigame though.
Probably due to the fact that it never really seemed to be necessary to "go up" from what we saw. But if you look closely the bird "stalls" at some points similar to a plane. In Twilight Princess you're always moving forward at a constant speed (with brief moments of boosts if you want). Maybe a longer video or a green star version of the level would make this more apparent.

Speevy

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Will I need to have played SMG to enjoy this?

I think it's important, especially when characters start showing up for revenge and Mario starts lamenting the death of
IT'S A MARIO GAME OF COURSE NOT

[Nintex]

Shadowlink said:
Haven't seen any new videos of SMG2 ever since trailer #4 but I'm tempted to see that new one. Must resist for 2 weeks!
So far it's all just 30 sec. of footage at most, just a few gameplay flashes nothing more.

For the bird, you just point the controller at the screen and it's standard glider controls. So you can pull back to a catch a bit of lift and slow down, but you're primarily descending.

Top Bottom