• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

nincompoop said:
I'm sorry, I just don't see the huge disconnect between moving your hands up and down to tap a drum and moving them up and down to simulate hitting a drum with drumsticks.

gripping sticks in your hands and swinging them in the air with no resistance is a bit different then an open-palm slap against a plastic surface, making noise and strong physical feedback

scitek

EmCeeGramr said:
gripping sticks in your hands and swinging them in the air with no resistance is a bit different then an open-palm slap against a plastic surface, making noise and strong physical feedback

Not to mention, am I the only one that usually takes both hands to one drum in order to move quicker?

heck, the bongos had microphones, didn't they? you have to clap your hands together to make noise

you reallly can't replicate that at all with wii remote in nunchuk unless you like to smash your electronics

EzLink

Banned
God that EDGE review has me hyped beyond belief

Bailing outta here, going on media blackout as of right now

See you guys in a few weeks :D

EmCeeGramr said:
heck, the bongos had microphones, didn't they? you have to clap your hands together to make noise

you reallly can't replicate that at all with wii remote in nunchuk unless you like to smash your electronics
Could just map that to a button. Would've made it a lot less painful on your hands too.

nincompoop said:
Could just map that to a button. Would've made it a lot less painful on your hands too.

nincompoop said:
The point I was making is that Nintendo could have recreated the bongo control scheme 100% faithfully for the NPC version by having you shake the remote and nunchuk to move.

hmmmmmm

Rlan

Replaying Super Mario 64 DS a bit recently. Man, 3D Yoshi worked like a dream. Eating and throwing eggs worked great. Shame SMG2 doesn't have Yoshi Island style gameplay, but I'd totally dig a Yoshi's Galaxy.

sinxtanx said:
Put down the controller

clap

pick up the controller

:lol

not gonna look at this thread anymore, wanna save the surprises
Why would you have to put the controller down to make a noise that the Wii Speak could pick up? You have a mouth, don't you? Or would you consider it less than 100% faithful if you had to shout instead of clap?

NinjaTehFish said:
one could also lay the wiimote on a surface and hit near it ala lets tap......
You could even tie the Wiimote + Nunchuk to the top of the bongos and play it just like the GC version! Then use the Wiispeak to unleash his clapping move by performing the DK rap!

nincompoop said:
Why would you have to put the controller down to make a noise that the Wii Speak could pick up? You have a mouth, don't you? Or would you consider it less than 100% faithful if you had to shout instead of clap?

Next you'll be telling us there's pseudo-cooperative play where another person can clap.

HYDE

Banned
Do didn't actually have to clap for the microphone to make DK grab or whatever, you could even just yell or say crap loud, and it would work.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Willy105 said:
Super Mario Galaxy 1's story is almost creepily deep, having to do with consequences on environments by pollution, sacrifice, and searching for your lost loved ones.

It was all optional, but if you explore the story, the ending actually makes sense.

@______________________________________________@

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HK-47 said:
@______________________________________________@

You didnt get the analogy to and political commentary on the War on Terror?

nincompoop said:

No, but I would consider it a way to convince everyone in the house that you have Tourettes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
HYDE said:
Do didn't actually have to clap for the microphone to make DK grab or whatever, you could even just yell or say crap loud, and it would work.

Or tap the sides of the bongos

nincompoop said:

Well, considering that the two are EXTREMELY different things, yeah. Logically, if yelling at the TV is a substitute for clapping, every game should just be bundled with Wii Speak. Playing New Super Mario Bros.? Yell to run!

stop laughing at nincompoop being dumb, that gets old after the 200th time; besides, it's off-topic

let's laugh at willy being crazy instead, that's always fun and is relevant to mario galaxy

boiled goose

good with gravy
nincompoop said:
Eh my roommate in college laughed at me whenever I played DKJB anyway.

I definitely don't get the love that DKJB gets. I thought the game was boring, but I definitely disagree with you that the control scheme could be replicated with wiimote nunchuck. drumming and clapping have tactile feedback that would not be repilcated with anything else.

amtentori said:
I definitely don't get the love that DKJB gets. I thought the game was boring, but I definitely disagree with you that the control scheme could be replicated with wiimote nunchuck. drumming and clapping have tactile feedback that would not be repilcated with anything else.

Agreed. It's almost as silly as the people who insist that the Wii Remote is the perfect controller to simulate light saber duels. It's not a bad way to do it, but you can't simulate clashing on it, which takes you out of the experience. Similarly, all of these convoluted replacements for drumming and clapping cause the game to lose its purpose more than waggling did.

wRATH2x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
stop laughing at nincompoop being dumb, that gets old after the 200th time; besides, it's off-topic

let's laugh at willy being crazy instead, that's always fun and is relevant to mario galaxy
I don't even remember anything regarding pollution, and I've seen all the storybook stuff.

CassSept

wRATH2x said:
I don't even remember anything regarding pollution, and I've seen all the storybook stuff.
You didn't read too deep into the story, eh?
I thought it is obvious that Rosalina was part of the society that escaped from the Earth. Afterwards, rest of the population kept on increasing emission of pollution, which in turn caused extinction of mankind. Her parents were actually a metaphor for mankind.

CassSept said:
I thought it is obvious that Rosalina was part of the society that escaped from the Earth. Afterwards, rest of the population kept on increasing emission of pollution, which in turn caused extinction of mankind. Her parents were actually a metaphor for mankind.
I can't tell if you're all being serious or not

Except Willy, we know he's being serious

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:
You didnt get the analogy to and political commentary on the War on Terror?

On the contrary I think he is selling the game short. Of course you only truly understand the genius after playing through it 3 times and having a background in quantum physics, global politics and eschatology.

I'd genuinely love the unlockable character to be Rosalina. A bit disappointed she won't really be in this - Cosmic Guide doesn't count - as I personally find her far more appealing and interesting than Peach.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't like the original's storybook is officially dead inside. It's beautifully written, illustrated and soundtracked. It's a pity Nintendo didn't create a real storybook version for Club Nintendo or something, because I'd pawn a testicle to get my hands on that.

wRATH2x

Banned
CassSept said:
notsureifserious.jpg

Its been a while, but I remember it being a story about a little girl who innocently went to space but can't find a way to go back and misses her family. It was a children's book story and it was pretty cool, but Willy is just reaching. Like damn, are you fucking serious!?

Shiggy

wRATH2x said:

I think it was in chapter 3 when either an oil platform or a nuclear power plant exploded...not entirely sure anymore.

Mael

Speevy said:
And...wait for it, the team's proven talent is the reason they're now in charge of the Mario franchise.

Either you're joking or you have a different definition of Mario franchise (hint : it's clear it's a 2d series)

and what the hell happened for discussion on the story to take place?

Btw I know nothing about it but Yoshi being playable would be logical I mean I think Koizumi said quite a long time ago that he wanted to make a 3d game that played like Yoshi, since we're never getting that real Yoshi's Island sequel anyway it seems a good idea to implement it here....

tabsina

Mael said:
Either you're joking or you have a different definition of Mario franchise (hint : it's clear it's a 2d series)

and what the hell happened for discussion on the story to take place?

Btw I know nothing about it but Yoshi being playable would be logical I mean I think Koizumi said quite a long time ago that he wanted to make a 3d game that played like Yoshi, since we're never getting that real Yoshi's Island sequel anyway it seems a good idea to implement it here....

it is better than the zelda, sonic and donkey kong discussions - the game is too close to release now that discussion must take place, with too little new previews/media to discuss the game itself

CassSept

wRATH2x said:
Its been a while, but I remember it being a story about a little girl who innocently went to space but can't find a way to go back and misses her family. It was a children's book story and it was pretty cool, but Willy is just reaching. Like damn, are you fucking serious!?
Umm... yeah, no. Isn't it obvious?
Little girl = humanity
innocently went to space = escaped from earth
misses her family = remorse for destroying ecosystem

i'm not serious, duh

Mael

tabsina said:
it is better than the zelda, sonic and donkey kong discussions - the game is too close to release now that discussion must take place, with too little new previews/media to discuss the game itself

Good point....
Anyway after playing sonic 06(And I'm not advancing in that game until I get the web back at home) I can't see how that's worth anything...
Then again story in a fighting game or a shootemup is equally stupid....Damn I think I'll play more Blast works....

zigg

*pretending story discussion doesn't exist*

pakkit said:
I really liked Spring Mario. :(
Me too. Second only to Ice Flower.

KeeSomething said:
I have a strong hunch that the hidden character is Donkey Kong. This is the Jungle Beat team, after all.
That would be... kind of cool! There's definitely some nice JB throwback action going on already. (and no not the bird race)

Bee DK would be hilarious, too.

EDIT: Oh god, if he had JB-style combos, I would die.

scitek said:
Not to mention, am I the only one that usually takes both hands to one drum in order to move quicker?
I always seemed to drum too fast for the sensors in the drum heads to pick up on when I tried that.

God, I loved playing that game with the drums, so much.

I wonder if I have time to tear through it once more before G2 shows up.

Rlan said:
Replaying Super Mario 64 DS a bit recently. Man, 3D Yoshi worked like a dream.
Yoshi riding Mario confirmed?

Haunted

Spring Mario was the weakest power-up in terms of adding to the enjoyable gameplay, imo.

Now the Ice Flower water interaction, that was a fucking stroke of genius.

wRATH2x

Banned
AniHawk said:
I consider this "exhibit B" for why platformers should never have stories, especially Mario games.
Yeah what's exhibit A?

And to tell you the truth, if platformers having stories(even a little bit like in Galaxy) does this to people, I wouldn't want any in my platformers.

Top Bottom