• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

zigg

plank said:
So this game takes place in an alternate universe huh. Seems pretty redundant.

Next thing you'll tell me is that every Zelda story takes place 100 years after every other one.

That's it, Nintendo. I'm done.

I apologize for bringing up Zelda again

Nicktals

Banned
wRATH2x said:
Yeah what's exhibit A?

And to tell you the truth, if platformers having stories(even a little bit like in Galaxy) does this to people, I wouldn't want any in my platformers.

Super Mario Sunshine.

Ho-lay crap Nintendo. I rewatched some videos of the cutscenes...and...let's just pray mario never gets voice acting again.

CassSept

Nicktals said:
Super Mario Sunshine.

Ho-lay crap Nintendo. I rewatched some videos of the cutscenes...and...let's just pray mario never gets voice acting again.
But the twist! With Peach being Bowser Jr.'s mother!

Jesus Christ, the story was so bad. So so bad. Argh.

MYE

plank said:
So this game takes place in an alternate universe huh. Seems pretty redundant.

Rosalina reset the universe at the end of Galaxy1!!!

There, i just validated the alternate universe of SMG2, enjoy it now.

plufim

I'd say the good money is on the secret character being Wario (as he was the third character in mario 64 DS). Baby Mario could be an interesting twist though, ditto Rosalina.

Edge already confirmed it's a fantastic 3D platformer, so no way it's sonic.

Platformers have never, and will never need a story.

On the scale of needs a platformer first and foremost needs good level design. Story is like the end of the list.

I think Peach DS turned out to be quite lucrative, so there you go, calling for Peach, it would get some female Wii gamers attention.

PS: Forgot to make a note that I don't think there's a new hidden character.

These details come from the Official Nintendo Magazine review. Some subscribers in the UK are receiving their issues already.

- Galaxy 2 takes place in an alternate reality where Mario and the Lumas never met
- the big Luma owns Spaceship Mario, which was transformed into its shape from a simple planet
- the big Luma is known as 'Lubba'
- Lubba needs power starts to fuel the ship, which Bowser has stolen...alongside Peach
- What does Lubba say when he transforms the planet into Spaceship Mario? "Nice spaceship, huh? More like a FACEship!"
- 40+ galaxies
- the tree slide that appears in some trailers is a star available in TreeTrunk Galaxy
- Expect more Yoshi action than was had in New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Spring Mario only makes 2 appearances
- Luigi becomes playable in some fashion once you reach 20 stars
- Another playable character is hinted at for when you reach 120
- A monkey known as "The Chimp" let's you play minigames
- good amount of 2d portions
- expect many throwbacks to classic Mario games once you hit the later stages
- Bowser stages are similar to those in Super Mario 64

So I was right...
LOST_Mario_Galaxy.jpg

Are they trying to make a tribute to LOST for the season finale?, its Koizumi a Lost fan? :lol

mclem

Hero of Canton said:
I'd genuinely love the unlockable character to be Rosalina. A bit disappointed she won't really be in this - Cosmic Guide doesn't count - as I personally find her far more appealing and interesting than Peach.

Well, they need two characters to sustain the mario/luigi dynamic, so Peach/Rosalina?

zigg said:
No, it doesn't.

But sense-making didn't stop SMG from having Luigi-rescuing-Luigi missions.
These were hilarous imo, "hey, hey, me!" I remember laughing at this:lol

but to me DK is more farfetched than Yoshi, With yoshi you just disable him from riding himself(another yoshi?)

Or maybe it is Wario.

Hey, now that Sammy Samusu mentioned it, i wouldn't mind Peach actually!

Anything but Sonic ffs

Maybe is not Peach but Rosalina, but I wouldnt mind any of them (I really hope it isnt Sonic, althoguh I would laugh seeing it in a good game while Sega fails always).

If its Peach I hope they add her trademark moves from SMB2, just like jump high slippery luigi. Fliying with the dress could be awesome.

zigg

SilverLunar said:
but to me DK is more farfetched than Yoshi

Yeah, but just imagine DK in a Bee suit, little wings struggling to keep his massive bulk aloft.

I will accept nothing other.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
These details come from the Official Nintendo Magazine review. Some subscribers in the UK are receiving their issues already.

- Galaxy 2 takes place in an alternate reality where Mario and the Lumas never met
- the big Luma owns Spaceship Mario, which was transformed into its shape from a simple planet
- the big Luma is known as 'Lubba'
- Lubba needs power starts to fuel the ship, which Bowser has stolen...alongside Peach
- What does Lubba say when he transforms the planet into Spaceship Mario? "Nice spaceship, huh? More like a FACEship!"
- 40+ galaxies
- the tree slide that appears in some trailers is a star available in TreeTrunk Galaxy
- Expect more Yoshi action than was had in New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Spring Mario only makes 2 appearances
- Luigi becomes playable in some fashion once you reach 20 stars
- Another playable character is hinted at for when you reach 120
- A monkey known as "The Chimp" let's you play minigames
- good amount of 2d portions
- expect many throwbacks to classic Mario games once you hit the later stages
- Bowser stages are similar to those in Super Mario 64

I just came so hard.

NeonZ

I only hope it isn't Toad. Those two yellow and blue Toads already annoyed me with their inclusion in NSMB Wii...

To go through an entire game and receive them as "bonus" at the end would be... annoying... even if this game is so good that it ends up making the 1st Galaxy look bad otherwise.

NeonZ said:
I only hope it isn't Toad. Those two yellow and blue Toads already annoyed me in NSMB... going through an entire game and receive them as a "bonus" would be... annoying... even if this game is so good it ends up making the 1st Galaxy look bad.
2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

NeonZ said:
I only hope it isn't Toad. Those two yellow and blue Toads already annoyed me in NSMB... going through an entire game and receive them as a "bonus" would be... annoying... even if this game is so good it ends up making the 1st Galaxy look bad.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Fuck the Toads!

WillyFive

CassSept said:
Umm... yeah, no. Isn't it obvious?
Little girl = humanity
innocently went to space = escaped from earth
misses her family = remorse for destroying ecosystem

i'm not serious, duh

No, not really.

Bowser's contraptions apparently caused problems with the 'universe', or whatever the names work in Mario Galaxy, causing it to collapse into itself,
which caused the Lumas to sacrifice themselves to save it

The little girl was looking for her lost family, and that is how she became friends with the Lumas,
and how she came to Mario's assistance.

At the end of the game, I am guessing that was when the 'alternative reality' or whatever was created.

The story was an after thought, but it was conscious for a Nintendo game.

Majmun

I think I've avoided all the media surrounding this game. SMG is stil my GOTG, so I expect to be amazed by this as well..

Mael

Holy shit!
Spoiler marks in a Mario thread and it's story related to boot!
When is the Official Thread due, seriously?

Chuckie

NeonZ said:
I only hope it isn't Toad. Those two yellow and blue Toads already annoyed me with their inclusion in NSMB Wii...

To go through an entire game and receive them as "bonus" at the end would be... annoying... even if this game is so good that it ends up making the 1st Galaxy look bad otherwise.

I fucking love Toad :(

"Luigi nonchalantly turns up about 20 stars in and offers his services at random points throughout the game, which is a good thing because it means you don't have to get all 120 stars to play as him this time. What's the reward for doing so this time around? Come on, we're not telling you that!"

As you can see, we're not saying there's another playable character at all, just that the reward isn't the ability to play as Luigi.

Hope that clears things up!

Chris Scullion
Games Editor
Official Nintendo Magazine UK
Hmm

SO is there confirmation of a hidden character or not?

I played with Luigi in the first one, I honestly would like it better if they had Donkey Kong :D

NeonZ

Sohter.Nura said:
SO is there confirmation of a hidden character or not?

There is a confirmation of some sort of reward that's supposed to make one replay the game to get 120 stars a 2nd time. It might not be a 2nd character, but I don't see what else it could be (alternate costumes?), unless Nintendo made an actual "2nd quest".

Nicktals

Banned
NeonZ said:
There is a confirmation of some sort of reward that's supposed to make one replay the game to get 120 stars a 2nd time. It might not be a 2nd character, but I don't see what else it could be (alternate costumes?), unless Nintendo made an actual "2nd quest".

I'd love for there to be a 'hard' mode unlocked. Faster/stronger enemies, maybe slightly tweaked levels (faster platforms, that sort of thing).

That'd be way more fun for me to play through again than just a new character. However, if there is a new character unlocked, I'll definitely play through again as them, just like I did with luigi.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So he in fact never states or hints that there is specifically a third character, instead that unlocking Luigi is not the reward for 120 stars, but there is still a reward of some form.

I'll pass on the new character. Give me a no-damage run.

Nicktals

Banned
EatChildren said:
So he in fact never states or hints that there is specifically a third character, instead that unlocking Luigi is not the reward for 120 stars, but there is still a reward of some form.

I'll pass on the new character. Give me a no-damage run.

Or a 'classic mario' run. Get hit once, turn small. Hit again, dead.

Jaruru

a new character other on top of Luigi.
this game is getter BETTER AND BETTER
I love the 1st Galaxy game ... don't know how much more will I love the 2nd one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wario, Sonic, Mii, Yoshi, Peach or Rosalina. Who care, at long we will enjoy the dang game. I am hyped but I don't think I can afford one this month. :(

Plumbob

IntelliHeath said:
Wario, Sonic, Mii, Yoshi, Peach or Rosalina. Who care, at long we will enjoy the dang game. I am hyped but I don't think I can afford one this month. :(
Out if all the choices you just cited only wario sounds remotely fun

Top Bottom