• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

One video said 8 purple moons for one of them. So purple moons seem to be the main thing. No clue what blue will do.

It's not that the different colored Moons do different things, their colors just relate to the different worlds. IE each Kingdom has their own color. They're all added to the same total though.

Jagsrock

Banned
tumblr_n2ovocYCSq1tw1vhco1_500.gif

As if everything ive seen hasn't already floored me, this is HUGE.

Kiro

It's not that the different colored Moons do different things, their colors just relate to the different worlds. IE each Kingdom has their own color. They're all added to the same total though.

So it can be any world's moons in combination to unlock the next world? Good to know I'm not locked down to doing one world.

Neiteio

So both the blue Broodal and purple Broodal (Harriet) have been shown to retreat into their hats when hit, and their hats then fly around like UFOs. Yet more evidence they are based on the lunar rabbits from Japanese folklore, and that this game is ultimately heading to a Lunar Kingdom on the moon.

Apparently the green Broodal, Topper, is the one you encounter in the Cap Kingdom, which serves as this game's tutorial. But GameXplain also made it sound like there's more to that kingdom than just a tutorial. Hmm...

Anyone hear the name of the blue Broodal by any chance? He appears in both the Luncheon Kingdom and Wooded Kingdom, from what we've seen so far.

Dremorak

Banned
I was all ready to wait on this considering how much stuff there is to play and catch up on at the moment. But HOTDAMN This latest round of trailers has me pumped.

Red Devil

It seems Hammer Bros. and Fire Bros. have hair, which is interesting as I don't think we've ever seen them without helmets or hats.

GgxIJHD.png

nb4o6yj.png

Where are the boos? A Mario game isn't complete without boos.. :(

The NPCs from Bonneton and Cappy and Tiara are like ghosts of some kind, probably there're Boos in there.

EhoaVash

watched the kinda funny video and Tim complained that controlling some enemies isn't really fun and he compares controlling hammer bros to Spring mario from mario] galaxy.

i guess we shoud expect some enemies to control like ass since they all have some type of weird walking animation

Wamb0wneD

watched the kinda funny video and Tim complained that controlling some enemies isn't really fun and he compares controlling hammer bros to Spring mario from mario] galaxy.

i guess we shoud expect some enemies to control like ass since they all have some type of weird walking animation

How do you get from walking animations to them being controlled like ass? Obviously a goomba isn't as agile as Mario...

Wamb0wneD

i mean spring mario speaks for itself, the walking/moving of that powerup was indeed....ass

I found it actually fun. The platforming sections where built around that power up and I never had any problems with it. Timing when to do a high jump or bounce around normally was pretty simple imo. Would have been cooler if we could have bounced off walls as well but that probably would've made it more difficult.

ckfy63a

Totally saw this coming. Pretty excited by a diversity of movesets, tbh. Puts us in the enemies’ shoes, if you will. And for those who can’t stand it, I bet there will be tons of Cappy-less speedruns of this game/ways to get many of the Moons without Cappy.

The Hermit

Will leave this here, it's related to the hats and costumes.

He has red overalls?!

This is insane. Super Mario Galaxy was one of the first time I've ever though " how can they beat that" and they do this now.

I have no idea where they can go from there

Couleurs

Oh man, I have been on an unintentional media blackout for this since the Switch launch/1st preview trailer (not trying to avoid threads/videos, but just never getting around to it), so I didn't know anything about what was coming other than "looks like a modern Mario 64 = insta buy since that was my favorite game in the 90s.

Seeing these videos is getting me hyped as FUCK. Especially if that spoiler above really is
a remake of Mario 64

spad3

He has red overalls?!

This is insane. Super Mario Galaxy was one of the first time I've ever though " how can they beat that" and they do this now.

I have no idea where they can go from there

Everyone said the same thing when Galaxy came out.

Then Galaxy 2 came out.

They said the same when 3D World came out.

Now again with Mario Odyssey.

It's literally the whole "Nintendo is doomed" scenario but with Mario.

Neiteio

Some enemies being challenging to control is sorta the point. That's what makes it an interesting gameplay experience. It's similar to how you had to account for Spring Mario's constant motion in Galaxy. Here you have to account for Hammer Bro's constant hopping, or Bullet Bill's constant forward momentum, etc. It's a change of pace that keeps things interesting and will test your skills in different ways.

Wamb0wneD

Some enemies being challenging to control is sorta the point. That's what makes it an interesting gameplay experience. It's similar to how you had to account for Spring Mario's constant motion in Galaxy. Here you have to account for Hammer Bro's constant hopping, or Bullet Bill's constant forward momentum, etc. It's a change of pace that keeps things interesting and will test your skills in different ways.

But muh platforming.

Nice will watch thanks!

Red Devil

Cheep-Cheep not being able to do much outside of water, those water covered enemies running out of water, Lava Bubbles being able to exist only on overly hot places, those enemies with long vines not being able to jump, etc.

This is blowing my mind more than it should.

No signs of Boomerang Bros. or Ice Bros. yet, nor Sledge Bros..

Mr. Tibbs

From the Metro preview:

What we worry about most though is when we’ll get a chance to play the game again, because everything up to this point has been fantastic and so full of charm, invention, and Nintendo magic that we almost literally had to be pried off it. Regardless of how it stacks up next to other classic Mario games we can already say without question that this is destined to be one of the best games of this or any other year.

Red Devil

Yeah - I like the idea of cleaning the surface to gain access to the water, but this particular lava texture is pretty bad imo - a shame when the pink lava from the Luncheon Kingdom looks great.

It looks pretty bad here too:
https://youtu.be/DR8TW9Wdd8A?t=1m44s

I think that's supposed to be something like cooking oil on Luncheon Kingdom. The lava texture from the Seaside Kingdom I guess it's that way because it's flat as in it only covers the surface, like what that Octopus boss has on its head, it doesn't give you a sense of depth like say the lava on SM3DW which I guess it's because there's nothing under it, it's just a flat thing lava barrier.

Top Bottom