• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

No no no. So I decided to take a peek in here and now temptation to click on spoilers are setting in. Still need to stay a virgin till then...

The Mushroom Kingdom is likely the size of a standard kingdom in this game.
It's not going to be a full-on 64 remake or anything like that, but I also doubt it's something you'll be able to finish in five minutes.

I don't need for them to remake a N64 world. Just let me explore the entire castle with the original soundtrack.

Pinky

Banned
Is it honestly a massive one? It's a hint at something bigger, but we don't know HOW big and it might lead to a lot of people setting themselves up for disappointment.

Perhaps not. It's definitely a big tease though. I sure hope we aren't left disappointed or underwhelmed.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah, I think you're right and here's the proof. THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A PRETTY BIG SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

https://i.imgur.com/ISaDX8c.png

Didn't click and the reactions here are enough for me lol

tenor.gif

Slight spec about a possible new kingdom:

https://youtu.be/6CojEQ50Os0?t=6m50s
A Sphynx 'riddle' in the video above asks the location name for the kingdom and has
"Forgotten Isle" as an option, which, IIRC, we haven't heard of before (it also has Lake Lamode, which is definitely from the Lake Kingdom). This might just be the location for the Tropical Islands level shown in the last direct, but the fact that "Isle" is singular while that level was addressed as "Islands" there (and is shown in the world map as multiple islands resembling a palm tree), this might be a brand new kingdom! Maybe the Haunted Level?

A Sphynx 'riddle' in the video above asks the location name for the kingdom and has
"Forgotten Isle" as an option, which, IIRC, we haven't heard of before (it also has Lake Lamode, which is definitely from the Lake Kingdom). This might just be the location for the Tropical Islands level shown in the last direct, but the fact that "Isle" is singular while that level was addressed as "Islands" there (and is shown in the world map as multiple islands resembling a palm tree), this might be a brand new kingdom! Maybe the Haunted Level?

The "haunted level" is in the Cap Kingdom, and the town is called Bonneton. I really wouldn't be shocked to see possibly even more than one secret kingdom, and the Forgotten Isle sounds like a great name for a secret post-game kingdom.

The "haunted level" is in the Cap Kingdom, and the town is called Bonneton. I really wouldn't be shocked to see possibly even more than one secret kingdom, and the Forgotten Isle sounds like a great name for a secret post-game kingdom.

I don't think it'd be shown as an option in a quiz for a regular moon if it was post game tho, but yeah, that's a possibility! And I know the Cap Kingdom is a haunted level but I'm being greedy and I'd love a second atmospheric and creepy island one, haha <3

Does the Cap Kingdom have Boo's?

I don't think it'd be shown as an option in a quiz for a regular moon if it was post game tho, but yeah, that's a possibility! And I know the Cap Kingdom is a haunted level but I'm being greedy and I'd love a second atmospheric and creepy island one, haha <3

Ha yeah, that would be nice. And you may be right, but either way I'm expecting a secret post-game level of some sort.

Does the Cap Kingdom have Boo's?

Not that I know of, but I thought he was referring to
the haunted level that we've seen in footage, rather than a typical Mario Boo level. Hopefully there is a level with Boos though, yeah.

Kinsei

Banned

I don;t think the Cap Kingdom is the haunted level. Sure it's black and white but there's nothing spooky about it. As for the name it's a play on the word bonnet, not the word bone.

To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the
stack of goombas to save/impress the lady goomba
thing.

Hopefully there aren't too many repeats.

This is my fear, hopefully it's not insanely overdone like korok seeds.

Red Devil

The tropical islands level seems to be Seaside Kingdom as Glydon is on it.

This is my fear, hopefully it's not insanely overdone like korok seeds.

I think the Red Coins from SM64/SMS is a fair comparison by the looks of it, maybe more the latter since SM64 went a little overboard with them. At any rate it shouldn't be surprising ALL the Mario games showcase some kind of repetition in a way or another, specially the 3D ones.

The tropical islands level seems to be Seaside Kingdom as Glydon is on it.

I think Glydon's just on both - and he's just a friendly NPC traveling the world. (He's also named in the world map as part of the Sand Kingdom). Seaside and the Tropical Islands have different regional coins (seashells - leaves), different colors for the moons (purplish - gold), and the Tropical Islands' poison and palm trees almost certainly match the palm tree islands surrounded by purple water on the world map.

sanstesy

To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the
stack of goombas to save/impress the lady goomba
thing.

Hopefully there aren't too many repeats.

That's like saying every level in 3D World with a Cherry power-up is a repeated puzzle. The level design and challegenes around each of these seems to be completely different.

It's merely building upon a mechanic than repeating a puzzle.

jadedm17

This thread is going to be the end of me.

I managed to stay Switch-free because of BotW being released on the Wii U.

But this thread... this fucking thread... this GAME...

The insanity of this game makes me need a switch.

Splatoon 2 - as excited as I am - is just gravy. Mmm

From the Metro preview. oh shit

Not really a spoiler, but I'm gonna' tag it anyway.

"For each demo we had a Nintendo rep hovering over us, telling us when to stop and what we absolutely could not do or talk about. For example, portraits in each stage seem to work as quick portals between kingdoms, and one of them let us get a sneak peek at one that’s not yet announced. We can’t say what it is but it looks amazing, and will blow the minds of Super Mario 64 fans."

Give me this game.

Tall Tall Mountain, plz

oti

Banned
Hey, so since there are spoilers out there, could we just start a spoiler thread and keep all the spoiler tags in there? Please?

Pinky

Banned
Oh my...

If we do, in fact, get to explore
Peach's castle and the castle grounds from 64, not only will it be a HD recreation, but the trees won't be 2D like they were in the original. 3D trees outside Peach's castle? What is this sorcery???

Scrawnton

Oh my...

If we do, in fact, get to explore
Peach's castle and the castle grounds from 64, not only will it be a HD recreation, but the trees won't be 2D like they were in the original. 3D trees outside Peach's castle? What is this sorcery???
What if
all of Mario 64 is remade within that world...

Top Bottom