• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

I don't know if this has been a fan theory, to me it seems obvious, but I haven't heard this from anyone. To me it seems like Donkey Kong is gonna come back in this game. He's gonna kidnap Pauline and take her to the highest building ala Donkey Kong and King Kong. The city is called New Donk City, and Pauline seems like the replacement for Peach..

And then you take control of Bowser for the ultimate big boss showdown! Bowser VS DK! Grab your coconut guns!

PKrockin

My reaction would be "Pretty neat I guess. How's the third party support? And have Nintendo got the Virtual Console in order yet?"
This, plus "What improvements have they made to Miiverse? Online is still free, right? How's the party chat? At least Nintendo's finally stopped forcing us to use friend codes."

PerkeyMan

Wow. Just wow. Apparently we've reached the phase where some people are so desperate to justify their preference for SMO from its initial release, that these same people are arguing (with a straight face) that not only have the SMG games not aged very well, but in fact, were never good looking games to begin with!

To prefer one game aesthetic over another is totally fine, but this after-the-fact, retroactive Galaxy-phobia, is really something else. The Mario Cycle appears to have manifested itself. It is very real, and also, very dangerous.

I have no idea if this is suppose to be sarcasm or not. If not = Severe cringe, especially reading the last sentence.

13ruce

Banned
I will probably replay this game 4+ times on release lol.

With Zelda i will replay that from june 30 on and when dlc pack 2 hits.

Normally i play through first party games i like 2 times on release but this looks like the best Mario yet.

With Zelda tho i was waiting for hard mode and dlc pack 1 because i just put in 150 hours so i had to takr a break:p

PS the Galaxy Games and Metroid Prime Trilogy are the only Wii games that look good on my HD TV rest only is playable on SD tv because of super blurry mess otherwise.

giphy.gif

I just can't stop thinking about cheep cheep mario

This is by far my favorite capture. I wish you could use a gif for an avatar.

I like the idea of a boss fight between Bowser and Mario and somehow they toss their hats at each other and you play as Bowser to defeat Mario. Lol

Neiteio

I like the idea of a boss fight between Bowser and Mario and somehow they toss their hats at each other and you play as Bowser to defeat Mario. Lol

Holy shit... I simultaneously hope you did and didn't spoil the final boss

Lol thought the same, its a cool idea but now I hope he's wrong!
Can't happen. Mario physically warps inside the people he possesses, so there would be no body for Bowser to possess.

Can't happen. Mario physically warps inside the people he possesses, so there would be no body for Bowser to possess.

Unless you walk your Bowser self into danger, and the impact shakes you lose.

At any rate, I think we can assume that either the hat mechanic or the 2D segments will feature in the final showdown!

I want confirming that the hat mechanic still works in the 2D segments. That would be so next-level haha

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got confirmation for Nintendo's post E3 play event. First the bad news: Metroid not there. Good news: Odyssey is of course and that's where most of my playtime will be. Can't wait for next week.

Unless you walk your Bowser self into danger, and the impact shakes you lose.

At any rate, I think we can assume that either the hat mechanic or the 2D segments will feature in the final showdown!

I want confirming that the hat mechanic still works in the 2D segments. That would be so next-level haha

So the final boss fight will be on a 2D mural with Mario inside of Bowsers body and you (as Bowser) will have to jump over Mario (who is Bowser) to hit the axe and have Mario fall into the lava. Lol!

Just got confirmation for Nintendo's post E3 play event. First the bad news: Metroid not there. Good news: Odyssey is of course and that's where most of my playtime will be. Can't wait for next week.
Prepare for a brawl in the halls. Bring yer best knuckle duster to claim the spot of demo player.

Neiteio

How fucking amazing will this holiday season be? Mario Odyssey followed by Xenoblade 2 is just surreal
Odyssey, Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II in the same month. The latter two are especially crazy since those are two massive games from the same publisher, lol.

Galang

Banned

As insane as the galaxy games were I don't think Nintendo would ever... easily would be the best boss fight in a mario game if so. I also like the idea of Donkey Kong appearing

As insane as the galaxy games were I don't think Nintendo would ever... easily would be the best boss fight in a mario game if so. I also like the idea of Donkey Kong appearing

It's kind of crazy when you think about the possibilities because of the capture mechanic. They could do some crazy good stuff because of capturing, 2D murals and reintroducing DK because of New Donk City.

Neiteio

I subscribed to the Odyssey news channel on the Switch's news tab (new feature added in the recent firmware update), and got a video overview of the game featuring the director. In it he says that the amiibo unlock "their wedding outfits." Note that's plural. Unlocking Mario's white suit makes sense, but Bowser and Peach are already wearing their wedding attire, so... Not sure I understand.

I subscribed to the Odyssey news channel on the Switch's news tab (new feature added in the recent firmware update), and got a video overview of the game featuring the director. In it he says that the amiibo unlock "their wedding outfits." Note that's plural. Unlocking Mario's white suit makes sense, but Bowser and Peach are already wearing their wedding attire, so... Not sure I understand.

During E3 he noted the importance of their stance when it comes to the Amiibo and its relation to the game.

Neiteio

During E3 he noted the importance of their stance when it comes to the Amiibo and its relation to the game.
Not sure I understand. That sounds like commentary on their thematic qualities (fighting over Peach) rather than their functionality.

In the overview video, he explicitly says it unlocks the characters' wedding attire.

13ruce

Banned
No matter what i need those Wedding Bowser and Mario Amiibo.

Both those 2 and this game day uno!
Jeez i am fuckig excited already i should play Sunshine finally;P

Didn't he also say they're hoping to support all the Amiibo that have been released so far? Which would imply each one gives Mario a different outfit...

Neiteio

Didn't he also say they're hoping to support all the Amiibo that have been released so far? Which would imply each one gives Mario a different outfit...
Not necessarily. It might be just the Odyssey figures that give outfits, while the other amiibo give coins or something, kind of like how non-Link amiibo in Hyrule Warriors gave you rupees, random weapons, materials, etc.

LakeEarth

Over a week later, and I still can't believe this game lets Mario possess a human being. Somehow him possessing a car is less ridiculous.

Not necessarily. It might be just the Odyssey figures that give outfits, while the other amiibo give coins or something, kind of like how non-Link amiibo in Hyrule Warriors gave you rupees, random weapons, materials, etc.

Oh, yeah maybe. Lame, I wanted Mega Man Mario and Bayonetta Mario.

Neoweee

Wait, when does that second one play? Bc I love that rendition of 1-1

They played additional tracks during the interstitial floor footage between Treehouse stream segments. Kind of like how a lot of Persona 5's soundtrack was used as hold music during its big reveal streams.

I remember seeing the trailer and thinking, "Is this some kind of Monster Hunter game?" because of the dinosaur at the beginning. But then the hat appeared and I lost it. This game is going to be a lot of fun.

mclem

Just starting to listen to 8-4 Play, and the Odyssey theme song - I finally work out what's been ringing bells with me: It absolutely wouldn't feel out of place in a Katamari game. And I intend that as a complement!

Neiteio

I know they're all on YouTube, but it'd be great if Nintendo put more of the Treehouse Live segments on the Switch's News Channel. Currently they just have the last segment showing the co-op play. I like watching these on my Switch... Makes me feel a bit closer to playing the game, lol.

Top Bottom