• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

RagnarokX

So we got
1. Cappy Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. New Donk City
4. Desert Kingdom
5. Forest/Jungle Kingdom + Dark Forest
6. Polygon Kingdom
7. And this new water kingdom?

I think there might be 15 kingdom if more news of them keep coming out.
1. Cap Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. Metro Kingdom
4. Sand Kingdom
5. Wooded Kingdom
6. Luncheon Kingdom
7. And this new water kingdom

hDTdJZT.jpg

RagnarokX

Do you think the bottom left "islands" are a kingdom?

vprSlZ2.jpg

To expand on the list:
1. Cap Kingdom: Bonneton
A Bonnet is a type of hat

2. Cascade Kingdom: Fossil Falls
A cascade is a waterfall. There are also cascade cakes which make good wedding cakes.

3. Metro Kingdom: New Donk City
Metro means city.

4. Sand Kingdom: Tostarena
It's hot, so toasty. Also wedding toast?

5. Wooded Kingdom: Steam Gardens
Not much to say about this one.

6. Luncheon Kingdom: Mount Volbono
A luncheon (lunch-un) is a fancy lunch. Volbono is a combination of the Esperanto word for "wok" (a cook pot) and volcano.

OCD Guy

Wish this game was out now....

It really does look awesome. I never really liked 3D world. The last good 3d Mario was Galaxy, but this one looks to be even better...

NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

This officially confirms that the Cascade Kingdom (Dinosaur) is a separate from the underwater Cheep Cheep Kingdom. This is because pink moon shown in the photo above is a different colour than the one in the yellow moons in the Cascade Kingdom. That means so far there are 7 CONFIRMED KINGDOMS in the game

Love this art style. Brings back NES Mario vibes

RagnarokX

Yes, and what's really weird is that the globe is mirrored compared to the map, which appears in-game as well. The map is in the game's logo, on the carpet of the Odyssey, and other places. I guess maybe they made the Odyssey but decided to mirror its model, but forgot the fix the texture on the globe? But the globe spins the right way...

If this game actually manages to even be shy of BotW in scope but with dat Mario quality platforming I will shit

This is gonna be too good

1. Cap Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. Metro Kingdom
4. Sand Kingdom
5. Wooded Kingdom
6. Luncheon Kingdom
7. And this new water kingdom

hDTdJZT.jpg

Oh they all represent continents. Didn't expect the scope for each one to be so large. Mushroom Kingdom is also there, too.

And I think Gamexplain is onto something about the Moon and the song "We can zoom all the way to moon" references it too.

That new image is my phone background now. I dunno if it's old art repurposed for Odyssey or new, but it looks legit from the 80s. So good.

Edit: Yeah, there will almost certainly be a moon/space kingdom. Too many hints for there not to be.

yuoke

Banned
The moon has been prominent since the switch reveal trailer with karen playing.

I would bet the moon could be the final world, but that seems too obvious.

RagnarokX

Oh they all represent continents. Didn't expect the scope for each one to be so large. Mushroom Kingdom is also there, too.

And I think Gamexplain is onto something about the Moon and the song "We can zoom all the way to moon" references it too.

That's a given, considering that moons are the collectible and the villains of the game are rabbits.

hvrWntN.jpg

The lunar rabbit is part of Asian folklore, and they included it on Odyssey's moon.

TheMoon

That's a given, considering that moons are the collectible and the villains of the game are rabbits.

hvrWntN.jpg

The lunar rabbit is part of Asian folklore, and they included it on Odyssey's moon.

pppssshhhh

Asian folklore. It's clearly a shoutout to Mario's long lost spirit animals whom he is reuniting with soon:

111403_front.jpg

(btw, might as well add an 8th Kingdom to the list .......because ...ya know ... Mario.)

Cartho

Hyped for a beach / underwater kingdom. Seriously hyped in fact.

I also love that people genuinely seemed to think that Nintendo had shown off every single kingdom at E3 and that there were only 4. I mean this never really seemed plausible did it?

TheMoon

Hyped for a beach / underwater kingdom. Seriously hyped in fact.

I also love that people genuinely seemed to think that Nintendo had shown off every single kingdom at E3 and that there were only 4. I mean this never really seemed plausible did it?

People also go nuts every year in April that the back half for Nintendo is empty. Then they go nuts again in September/October because Nintendo isn't talking about their November games anymore thinking they're delayed/canceled/swept under the rug.

You can set your clocks after these things, it's amazing. :)

People also go nuts every year in April that the back half for Nintendo is empty. Then they go nuts again in September/October because Nintendo isn't talking about their November games anymore thinking they're delayed/canceled/swept under the rug.

You can set your clocks after these things, it's amazing. :)

Omg Nintendo has no games coming in 2018 and it's already August! Lol

Maybe it could be like the older games, you have your courses/worlds/etc in previous and also some smaller ones with like a single moon or something.

Yeah it could be a smaller "extra" world. Hell I wonder what extra worlds/kingdom Nintendo will have after you beat the game.

vprSlZ2.jpg

To expand on the list:
1. Cap Kingdom: Bonneton
A Bonnet is a type of hat

2. Cascade Kingdom: Fossil Falls
A cascade is a waterfall. There are also cascade cakes which make good wedding cakes.

3. Metro Kingdom: New Donk City
Metro means city.

4. Sand Kingdom: Tostarena
It's hot, so toasty. Also wedding toast?

5. Wooded Kingdom: Steam Gardens
Not much to say about this one.

6. Luncheon Kingdom: Mount Volbono
A luncheon (lunch-un) is a fancy lunch. Volbono is a combination of the Esperanto word for "wok" (a cook pot) and volcano.

So we're looking at a possible 12 Kingdoms or so. People want to say how it's less than 64, but it's not that much less and these areas are much bigger. Plus, going by that map there are Kingdoms that are smaller for those who want some smaller kingdoms.

NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

This officially confirms that the Cascade Kingdom (Dinosaur) is a separate from the underwater Cheep Cheep Kingdom. This is because pink moon shown in the photo above is a different colour than the one in the yellow moons in the Cascade Kingdom. That means so far there are 7 CONFIRMED KINGDOMS in the game

Wait, is this artwork official? OMG it's fucking great!

13ruce

Banned
NEW KINGDOM CONFIRMED

DGGDURdVwAA6-nr.jpg

Fuck this is gonna be the GOAT Mario game isn't it?

Also mushroom island being so small may be because is an island with a pipe portal to the mushroom kingdom that is an alternative earth with the real mushroom kingdom, yoshi island, donkey kong country, sarasaland....
Not saying they will appear in the game (pretty sure if something appears by travelling there would be peach's castle only, or some retro 64 courses), but being a pipe thats placed in that island and lets you get into the mushroom kingdom planet makes sense from a koizumi type of lore that he is trying to do here.

doop_

Banned
Also mushroom island being so small may be because is an island with a pipe portal to the mushroom kingdom that is an alternative earth with the real mushroom kingdom, yoshi island, donkey kong country, sarasaland....
Not saying they will appear in the game (pretty sure if something appears by travelling there would be peach's castle only, or some retro 64 courses), but being a pipe thats placed in that island and lets you get into the mushroom kingdom planet makes sense from a koizumi type of lore that he is trying to do here.

Mario lore. What a time to be alive.

Hermii

So we got
1. Cappy Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. New Donk City
4. Desert Kingdom
5. Forest/Jungle Kingdom + Dark Forest
6. Polygon Kingdom
7. And this new water kingdom?

I think there might be 15 kingdom if more news of them keep coming out.
Maybe it's not a confirmation strictly but the theme song hints of a moon kingdom.

Forkball

The Japanese tweet says nothing about that wallpaper showcasing a new world. It just says that you can use these pictures for wallpaper. The art may be new, but snorkel Mario was in last year's Club Nintendo calendar.

I now badly want pumpkin Mario.

[edit] Though it does seem like a snorkel Mario is in the game. Still, the tweet says nothing about that picture showing a new world.

DEpX568V0AAOgT2.jpg

woopWOOP

Samurai Mario is also totally gonna be a thing in this game right
Miyamoto wearing it on a T-shirt and all that

I'd be down for a fitting ancient China world too

The Japanese tweet says nothing about that wallpaper showcasing a new world. It just says that you can use these pictures for wallpaper. The art may be new, but snorkel Mario was in last year's Club Nintendo calendar.

[edit] Though it does seem like a snorkel Mario is in the game. Still, the tweet says nothing about that picture showing a new world.

DEpX568V0AAOgT2.jpg

Isnt the belief it's a new world based on the logic that each world has a distinct colour moon, and because the purple moon doesnt belong to any of the worlds we've seen, it must be new?

doop_

Banned
More confirmation that this underwater kingdom is its own thing and this is probably the final nail in the coffin confirming it. Super Mario Odyssey has had it's box art changed, they have removed Sombrero Mario and replaced it with the snorkeling Mario. Considering that all the photos on the box art are from separate Kingdoms this is practically 100% confirmation of the underwater kingdom. I got this news from GoNintendo.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2866...mbrero-wearing-mario-from-super-mario-odyssey

5En2J9E.jpg

Plum

More confirmation that this underwater kingdom is its own thing and this is probably the final nail in the coffin confirming it. Super Mario Odyssey has had it's box art changed, they have removed Sombrero Mario and replaced it with the snorkeling Mario. Considering that all the photos on the box art are from separate Kingdoms this is practically 100% confirmation of the underwater kingdom. I got this news from GoNintendo.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2866...mbrero-wearing-mario-from-super-mario-odyssey

5En2J9E.jpg

I'm still expecting the red bit to be a cover up for an upcoming Direct reveal. It just looks too out of place and there's a tiny bit under the underwater screenshot that wouldn't make sense being there. Now that the boxart's changed due to an official reveal I think it's much, much more likely.

Ninja Dom

DEpX568V0AAOgT2.jpg

Interesting thing is that Nintendo Japan have tweeted the August calendar month on the new snorkel Mario!!!

And Snorkel Mario represents August in the Club Nintendo calendar too!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mario_odysseyJP/status/892138819234942976/photo/1

doop_

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo just removed Mariachi Mario, some (weird) people complained about the whole thing back at E3.

That is probably it. I feel like the news deserves a thread but i can imagine it being a disaster so i probably won't make one.

Top Bottom