• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

Is there any platforming in this game that resembles Mario 64? All I see is 3D World style camera and wide open zero skill required platforms just like 3D world.

And way too much focus on the gimmick versus mariod acrobatic moves. This is not a follow up to 64 at all.

I hope the inevitable interviews bring up Space Station Silicon Valley (like how Ratchet and Clank was mentioned regarding Super Mario Galaxy). The idea of enemy possession and using their unique movesets to progress was the main feature of that game.

Puruzi

Banned
fuck it I changed my tune

I wanted a level based game like 3d world again but this shit looks fucking dope as hell

so in

I love the costume variety. Truly the most ambitious Mario game ever. So glad this is happening.

Also, it's so crazy to see Mario running around in such different clothes. Feels like I'm dreaming of some Mario game I never thought we'd see.

I'm surprised it doesn't kick you out after each Moon. I guess that allows for more seamless exploration, but I wonder if there will still be stars where there is an obvious/significant change in the stage for a specific star. That said, I'm loving how similar it is to Mario 64 with regards to the single line star descriptions to somewhat push you in the right direction while also encouraging you to explore and find those Moons.

clemenx

Banned
THis looks amazing visually for me. Love the variety and craziness. Mario should have no boundaries.

I will always love more the straight up platforming of the Galaxies, I personally don't care much about "Mario 64 style" but I think it looks awesome.

J-Tier

The hat possession mechanic turned this game from a passing interest to a must buy for me.

This and X-Com Rabbids. Fucking Nintendo man, killing it

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there any platforming in this game that resembles Mario 64? All I see is 3D World style camera and wide open zero skill required platforms just like 3D world.

And way too much focus on the gimmick versus mariod acrobatic moves. This is not a follow up to 64 at all.

I think we're looking at the first levels of the game... can't really make that judgement of "not hard enough levels" from what we're seeing this week.

Takat

The game looks absolutely wonderfilled!

so much to do. It's basically open world. and the 2d and changing of costumes, so great.

I just wish their feed was better, it's really low quality.

-griffy-

Banned
Look at this:
DCNypKdUMAAyHZ8.jpg

This is not proper or appropriate. Someone set up a petition.

Future

Not gonna lie, I wasn't sure about this when I saw all the New York shit in march

But now....this is looking galaxy level amazing. Hat mechanic is on point

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is the most excited I've been for a Mario game since Mario 64. Perhaps it's Mushroom Kingdom fatigue, but this looks super fresh and weird and funky.

Song fits like a glove too.

For all the talk of this game succeeding 64/Sunshine, the stage design looks tight enough that, along with certain elements like the blending of 2D platforming with 3D surfaces like cylinders, the influences of the original Galaxy are palpable.

DirtyLarry

I already had this game Preordered without much info.
I see doing so has been confirmed.
I said hot damn!!

The crazy thing is I should just be about wrapping up BOTW by the time this comes out.

Mario 64 is the game that actually took zero skill. Acrobatic character yes, but super basuc platformer. 3D World was much better in that regard.

Top Bottom