• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

I mean, it's Mario. Even my wife would cheer and she's not a gamer. Everybody loves Mario and most people in that audience probably played Mario in their youth.
Just because you're a journalist or person attending an Apple keynote doesn't mean you don't also play on consoles or PC. Or do people assume that only individuals who care about mobile games go to events?

heringer

Just because you're a journalist or person attending an Apple keynote doesn't mean you don't also play on consoles or PC. Or do people assume that only individuals who care about mobile games go to events?

Sure. I would also wager most people there game on some capacity.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

iMacs are only good for image editing and listening to music in iTunes so it's only natural that all Apple journalists grew up in an environment where they never played games apart from that one built in chess game. I mean, it's so obvious.

Teppic

Pretty sure! You get a message saying specifically it doesn't work with your iPhone?

I talked to Nintendo Portugal's PR and he says the only info he's got is that you need iOS 8 or higher.
Yes, I get a message saying it's not compatible with my iPhone.

Rodin

Just watched the 60fps trailer – looks great. Add in the fact that it's being developed by the main Mario team and I don't have any doubt that it'll be a fun game.
You mean the NSMB team, not EAD Tokyo, right? It's still cool that they're doing it, NSMBU(+NSLU) was one of the best platforms ever.

Also, the artworks for this title are gorgeous.

Nice to see Miyamoto get the respect he deserves.
Yup.

Ninja Dom

You mean the NSMB team, not EAD Tokyo, right? It's still cool that they're doing it, NSMBU(+NSLU) was one of the best platforms ever.

Also, the artworks for this title are gorgeous.

Yup.

I've only seen the red title screen in the OP. Is there more?

That was Hideki Konno in the Apple presentation who was playing the demonstration.

Mario Run seems pretty well done and being made by the NSMB team should mean it's at least a quality effort. The pricing will be interesting as SE's pricing which was cited in an article seems way too high but going too low could devalue the main Mario games...but I don't see any game over $7 achieving mainstream success on there. Minecraft is like $6? That could be a decent price

Ninja Dom

Pretty sure! You get a message saying specifically it doesn't work with your iPhone?

I talked to Nintendo Portugal's PR and he says the only info he's got is that you need iOS 8 or higher.

Yes.

When you go to the Super Mario Run App Store page and press the "Notify" button.

My iPad 4th gen got the message that this game is not compatible with this iPad.

But my iPhone 6S never got that message and the Notify button worked.

The Boat

Yes.

When you go to the Super Mario Run App Store page and press the "Notify" button.

My iPad 4th gen got the message that this game is not compatible with this iPad.

But my iPhone 6S never got that message and the Notify button worked.

Maybe I didn't get the message because I pressed Notify basically as soon as it showed up on the store and that warning wasn't in place?

Ninja Dom

Maybe I didn't get the message because I pressed Notify basically as soon as it showed up on the store and that warning wasn't in place?

You probably got this:
super-mario-run-app-store-800x570.jpg

But non-compatible (older) iPhones and iPads get a message saying their device isn't compatible.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they unveil the NX at an Apple sales conference. In fact how would that even tie into Apple in any benefitial way?

?

When did ever say that, I didn't.

I simply thought Nitendo had a suprise press conference with the NX reveal stealing the press from the iPhoneX reveal.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just a general thing i've been wondering about, what is the point of having Bill Trinen talking at the same time as Miyamoto when doing "translating"? I know that Bill knows japanese, but when they talk at the same time, its clearly been scripted. Thats no problem either, but why talk at the same time?

CrisKre

Just a general thing i've been wondering about, what is the point of having Bill Trinen talking at the same time as Miyamoto when doing "translating"? I know that Bill knows japanese, but when they talk at the same time, its clearly been scripted. Thats no problem either, but why talk at the same time?

Probably they can up the sound of miyamoto for japanese audiences as they up the sound of bill for us westerners.

The Boat

It's not uncommon, if the translator waits it takes too much time and if it was just Bill talking, Miyamoto wouldn't be there doing anything. It sounds messy without proper mixing though.

I hope Luigi and Peach are playable in this.

I saw a "Change" icon next to a drawing of Mario in the debut footage, so hopefully that's a sign of alternate characters.
I imagine they'll let you play as Luigi and/or Toad if you purchase the full game, maybe with slightly different gameplay mechanics. But I bet additional characters after that will be DLC, but with bigger gameplay changes. There may be DLC Worlds after a few months. If they do SMB1/SMB3/SMW reskins, they'll be DLC too.

Also, the full game in December won't be less than $9.99US. It's probably going to be $14.99 or $19.99. If Nintendo could get away with a $40 game on Apple or Android, they'd do it, but I think they know they can't. So they'll make that price up via DLC.

 Takashi Tezuka is the lead developer (or director?), Miyamoto is producing. The team is comprised mostly of the original Super Mario Brothers team, according to Miyamoto.
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
The team that’s developing Super Mario Run is actually mostly comprised of the original Super Mario development team. So [Takashi] Tezuka-san is the developer and I’m the producer. We’ve brought together the developers at Nintendo who know the side-scrolling Mario games best, to work with them to develop the best side-scrolling Mario game for a mobile device.

watershed

Banned
I just watched the trailer again, and I think this game is going to be legit good. The visuals are crisp, and the jumping actually looks fun. This could really take off and not just because it's Mario but because it's a good game. At least, it's a much better first impression than Miitomo.

Xux

Looks like it controls really bad.

It might boost Nintendo console and game sales so I guess it's fine if it exists.

Is this confirmed to not work on iPhone 5? I'd never think it wouldn't but if that's the case it would suck a lot ): It worked in my dad's iPhone 5s but I still have some hope that it's just he notify button that's bugged

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So for what it's worth the "Notify" button on my iPhone 5c worked last night, so for those of you that were getting an "incompatible" notification, try it out again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So for what it's worth the "Notify" button on my iPhone 5c worked last night, so for those of you that were getting an "incompatible" notification, try it out again.
Mine too. I just tried it. So it definitely works on a 5C. Though by the time the game comes out, I hope to not even have my 5C anymore.

Top Bottom