• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

M3d10n

Wow really? The only reason I said so cheap was because Idk how phone gamers would react to a $4.99 price. I have no problem with $4.99 though.

I'm not sure how games at that price usually sell on mobile. 30 million seems reasonable?

I think Minecraft Pocket Edition, which costs $6.99, is the highest selling premium mobile game and, as of 2015, has sold 30 million copies across IOS and Android. So that's quite the high bar to reach.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm in different to this game.

I'm more sad as I was hoping for Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem as I think they translate to mobile better.

tumblr_od6d9nMbyh1sn4eavo1_540.png

Wensih

The amount of negativity Nintendo gets for any and every decision they make is comical. But this is neogaf.

Where all posters are experts in the field and have logical, insightful, and impartial opinions from years of experience, except for on Wednesdays because its just a crummy day.

Wow really? The only reason I said so cheap was because Idk how phone gamers would react to a $4.99 price. I have no problem with $4.99 though.

I'm not sure how games at that price usually sell on mobile. 30 million seems reasonable?
$4.99 is like equivalent to the $15-20 range on PC. Most paid games are between $0.99 and $4.99. Some go higher, up to $9.99. Some ports like Final Fantasy can be more expensive up to $15. And then the rare port like Stein:Gate can be $20+

Ansatz

Honestly, if I would play a Nintendo game on smartphone this would be it. Something designed specifically for the platform that I can play for 5 minutes as a time waster. I'm... excited? I think curious is the right word.

aza

Just watched the 60fps trailer – looks great. Add in the fact that it's being developed by the main Mario team and I don't have any doubt that it'll be a fun game.

TLZ

Banned

I'm more surprised and taken by the sheer happiness of the audience when Mario showed up, given this is an Apple conference and the audience is different type, yet it was very well received. This is awesome.

It seems to me they've done some great advertising to that Blue Ocean so far; First the Olympics were a billion people were watching, and now this.

Now I just hope the NX blows us away :D

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Smart move money wise for Nintendo as I'm sure this will make bank.

Hopefully they realize that the casual, blue ocean, Wii Sports, Brain Age, Nintendogs etc. crowd long ago moved to mobile and focus their efforts on casual friendly games there and focus NX more on their core gamer fans.

But knowing them the NX will skew casual/family oriented as well as they hope large numbers of people will get hooked on the mobile games and buy an NX for fuller versions of they market it right. And maybe that will work for them even if it ends up not appealing to me.

Hermii

I know that. This was shown off and is seemingly coming first though.

I'd rather have the other titles first.

They shown off Mario at the conference because this is the most iconic, recognizable franchise. That doesn't necessarily mean it will launch first.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think Minecraft Pocket Edition, which costs $6.99, is the highest selling premium mobile game and, as of 2015, has sold 30 million copies across IOS and Android. So that's quite the high bar to reach.

Interesting numbers. This would mean that the most successful premium mobile game as of 2015 brought in the same total revenue as a 3DS game which sold 5.25 million copies. No small chunk of change, to be sure, but kind of puts it in perspective. Especially when you take out the 30% (?) fee that goes straight to Apple/Google.

The real home run in all of this isn't the income from the game, but the exposure.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting numbers. This would mean that the most successful premium mobile game as of 2015 brought in the same total revenue as a 3DS game which sold 5.25 million copies. No small chunk of change, to be sure, but kind of puts it in perspective. Especially when you take out the 30% (?) fee that goes straight to Apple/Google.

The real home run in all of this isn't the income from the game, but the exposure.

I'd guess the development cost for most mobile games is well below that of a 3ds game too though.

But yes, the real benefit is exposure for their IPs and a tapping a new revenue stream of mobile folks who's never buy a dedicated piece of gaming hardware.

They say this takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom yet it uses visuals from NSMBU which didn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom?

No buy from me!

Ditto, but then the 5c is effectively 4-year-old hardware now, so it's understandable. :/
It's odd. This game isn't very advanced graphically, and the 5 can handle more advanced platformers, racers like Asphalt, or even Oddworld Strangers Wrath

There's no reason an iPhone 5 can't play this

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just watched the 60fps trailer – looks great. Add in the fact that it's being developed by the main Mario team and I don't have any doubt that it'll be a fun game.

That sold me on the game. That looks like fun.

Honestly, if I would play a Nintendo game on smartphone this would be it. Something designed specifically for the platform that I can play for 5 minutes as a time waster. I'm... excited? I think curious is the right word.
I share the same sentiment, and I can't see this as a stab in the back of Nintendo fans.

LordOfChaos

I wonder if even a sliver of the decision to do this was getting used to a mobile development model. Though the NX wouldn't have Xcode and related tooling.

Or, is Nintendo proper even making it?

I wonder if even a sliver of the decision to do this was getting used to a mobile development model. Though the NX wouldn't have Xcode and related tooling.

Or, is Nintendo proper even making it?

It's made by the core original Mario Team, which involves Tezuka as the developer and Miyamoto as the Producer.

It's odd. This game isn't very advanced graphically, and the 5 can handle more advanced platformers, racers like Asphalt, or even Oddworld Strangers Wrath

There's no reason an iPhone 5 can't play this

The 5/5c use the A6 chip, which is 32-bit. It could be that they're using Apple's Metal low-level graphics API to keep framerate at a buttery 60fps. This API requires a 64-bit chip (A7 and above). To be fair I'm not saying it's necessary to use Metal to get a stable 60, but it does look like they're using 3d models for everything and all the levels might just be 3d scenes, so they might have decided it would give them more bandwidth on the CPU for other tasks, or allow for richer effects.

heringer

I'm more surprised and taken by the sheer happiness of the audience when Mario showed up, given this is an Apple conference and the audience is different type, yet it was very well received. This is awesome.

It seems to me they've done some great advertising to that Blue Ocean so far; First the Olympics were a billion people were watching, and now this.

Now I just hope the NX blows us away :D

I mean, it's Mario. Even my wife would cheer and she's not a gamer. Everybody loves Mario and most people in that audience probably played Mario in their youth.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The 5/5c use the A6 chip, which is 32-bit. It could be that they're using Apple's Metal low-level graphics API to keep framerate at a buttery 60fps. This API requires a 64-bit chip (A7 and above). To be fair I'm not saying it's necessary to use Metal to get a stable 60, but it does look like they're using 3d models for everything and all the levels might just be 3d scenes, so they might have decided it would give them more bandwidth on the CPU for other tasks, or allow for richer effects.

Pretty hilarious that a Nintendo game is what's going to get me to buy a new iPhone.

Simbabbad

I'm more surprised and taken by the sheer happiness of the audience when Mario showed up, given this is an Apple conference and the audience is different type, yet it was very well received.
They cheer because they've conquered a big fish. I don't care about Halo, but I'd cheer if Halo went on NX because I want NX to succeed.

Kouriozan

Pretty hilarious that a Nintendo game is what's going to get me to buy a new iPhone.
Yeah, I'm also kinda forced to upgrade my iPad 4 to play it too.
Been wanting to upgrade it since last year anyway.
They cheer because they've conquered a big fish. I don't care about Halo, but I'd cheer if Halo went on NX because I want NX to succeed.
Halo is a bad example since the audience don't fit at all.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I know that. This was shown off and is seemingly coming first though.

I'd rather have the other titles first.

Maybe the others have NX tie ins (especially animal crossing) so they want those apps to come out closer to the NX release to build interest and hopefully get some people to buy NXes for the paired games. Vs. putting out the apps this fall when they'll be forgotten about by most well before March.

The Boat

It's the latest. Tried it again just now. Doesn't work. Are you sure you don't have a iPhone 5s?
Pretty sure! You get a message saying specifically it doesn't work with your iPhone?

I talked to Nintendo Portugal's PR and he says the only info he's got is that you need iOS 8 or higher.

Top Bottom