• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

HeySeuss

Looks interesting.

Whoever suggested Wario WAre for mobile is a damn genius. One of the best games to go mobile.

Animal Crossing would be BEAST on mobile. Animal Crossing is probably an NX system seller title though.

this game compares to NSMBU or Mario Maker?

Animal Crossing mobile has already been confirmed I believe. The first of the five games confirmed by Nintendo

Sell games on a platform you used to criticize for devaluing the market brehs. These are truly the end times. ;_;

RIP Iwata :(

Randomizer

Looks interesting.

Whoever suggested Wario WAre for mobile is a damn genius. One of the best games to go mobile.

Animal Crossing would be BEAST on mobile. Animal Crossing is probably an NX system seller title though.

this game compares to NSMBU or Mario Maker?
Animal Crossing is very will suited indeed. But I can see it be riddled with a huge amount of in app purchases.

KingBroly

Banned
I assume after Mario, Animal Crossing will be next followed by Fire Emblem. Wonder what their 5th game is. I'd probably guess DK Jungle Climber, tbh. I know there's money on Zelda, BUT I have a hard time seeing what they could do with Zelda on mobile.

Wensih

Nintendo is going to single-handedly raise people's standards for iOS and Android game quality with stuff like this. They're going to stomp out a lot of smaller devs without even meaning to, just because they know what they're doing and their quality standards are higher than anyone else putting out stuff on the platform.

I don't know about that. They have tough competition from 2014's GotY, Threes!

Nintendo is going to single-handedly raise people's standards for iOS and Android game quality with stuff like this. They're going to stomp out a lot of smaller devs without even meaning to, just because they know what they're doing and their quality standards are higher than anyone else putting out stuff on the platform.
Eh...this may be Mario, but the Rayman games and Lost Socks are on entire other level than this both graphically and gameplay-wise

Da-Kid

You think Nintendo's stock is on the rise now, just wait til this comes out. They're stocks are gonna be in another Galaxy.

watershed

Banned
As long as the level design is good and the app is designed to run smoothly in terms of loading and user interface (unlike Miitomo) this game should do really well. Strangely, the NSMB aesthetic fits so well for a free to start mobile endless runner. Its like the NSMB series was always headed in this direction.

Wow, I'm actually happy to see Nintendo bring this to mobile. I think too many people were worried that Nintendo creating a mobile game would mean them strictly being a mobile developer for some reason. I don't see why Nintendo can't do the smart thing and create quick, cheap games for extra publicity and revenue, like they are experiencing with these announcements, while also creating a full fledged gamer experience that we all love about them.

I'm excited to see Nintendo rise to relevance again, and I hope that the intro to this and Pokemon Go help kick start a Nintendo frenzy which seems them see huge success moving forward.

Game looks pretty awesome btw.

I'm glad Nintendo is doing this because too many kids are not being introduced to Mario and getting to play his games. Just reminds me how important Super Mario World was for me. Just forgetting the business side of things it's just great to see kids will get introduced to Super Mario.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I would imagine Animal Crossing Mobile will be a different kind of game than a mainline AC. Think Happy Home Designer or something like that, something that will compliment the NX game and be a gateway to it.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I'm excited by the possibility of how much brand recognition this will bring. I want to see little kids hype about Mario again.

I would imagine Animal Crossing Mobile will be a different kind of game than a mainline AC. Think Happy Home Designer or something like that, something that will compliment the NX game and be a gateway to it.
Yep, these are gateway drugs to the real hard shit on Nintendo's consoles.
Don't do drugs in all actuality.

rekameohs

Banned
I assume after Mario, Animal Crossing will be next followed by Fire Emblem. Wonder what their 5th game is. I'd probably guess DK Jungle Climber, tbh. I know there's money on Zelda, BUT I have a hard time seeing what they could do with Zelda on mobile.
A WarioWare styled game would be perfect for mobile. Doesn't even have to be Wario, could be any franchise or crossover.

bomma_man

PT and ST were both 100% touch screen...

This just makes me sad. This is how the end is greeted, with thunderous applause.

melodrama-2-1-638.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
screen696x696igsjv.jpeg
screen696x6962cstl.jpeg
screen696x696ucs3t.jpeg
screen696x696amshi.jpeg

So, why is the screen vertical? 40% of the screen is the ground texture in most of these shots.

What do game companies have against phones being held sideways? Y'know, so it more closely resembles a TV while giving you more room in a game that moves horizontally?
Honestly, this is what counted me out on the Square Enix games on mobile. .. and I love square enix

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Great move by Nintendo. I was actually surprised to see Miyamoto on stage. He actually stayed through the whole Apple keynote.

The game is going to be really popular come December.

Looks about what I expected, but it's Mario and Miyamoto and it's pretty much guranteed to be good. Also, the screen space being taken up by the ground texture is to give a specific frame for controlling mario without blaring buttons or obscuring your view with fingers, it's doing the exact opposite of what you would think it would do to your view.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Saw the - How Nintendo Upstaged Apple thread and expected a surprise NX reveal. Sorely disappointed but still intrigued.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Eh...this may be Mario, but the Rayman games and Lost Socks are on entire other level than this both graphically and gameplay-wise

I think the poster is more talking from a quality + accessibility (popularity) standpoint.

random25

screen696x696igsjv.jpeg
screen696x6962cstl.jpeg
screen696x696ucs3t.jpeg
screen696x696amshi.jpeg

So, why is the screen vertical? 40% of the screen is the ground texture in most of these shots.

What do game companies have against phones being held sideways? Y'know, so it more closely resembles a TV while giving you more room in a game that moves horizontally?

They did mention playing it with only one hand. I know you can also do it in landscape mode, but they probably aim at a more natural way of holding the phone.

watershed

Banned
screen696x696igsjv.jpeg

Isn't it that way so that your thumb can tap a spot on your screen that isn't visually important to the gameplay? That makes sense to me and horizontal view would probably have you tapping what's coming up ahead which is important in a runner style game.

Worst thing about the rayman mobile games is harder difficulties made missing those orbs way to easy, Mario stages we have been shown so far look simple. I hope this game wont have the same issue with coins.

Redoing a stage 10 times to 100% it due to perfect touch screen presses is frustrating, looks like had same mechanics too. Rayman had hover, while mario is doing is twirl here.

jgkspsx

I hope this gets more refined than the videos seemed to show. The basic movement mechanics looked... loose.

Bring on the WarioWare mobile, though!

The marketing possibilities are endless. Just imagine there is a short but epic video of Mario NX playing when you want to end the app, which is offering a discount on a Mario NX bundle. Something like that would give them a huge boost.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Imagine the hype and meltdowns once Mario Kart Mobile is shown of next year at the next Apple event.

Are there good smart device racers? One of the worst things I've experienced is an auto racer where you tilted to steer. Bump into the side and you car just keeps wanting to go forward. Compare that to an auto runner where I've had previous good experiences.

Ninja Dom

Are there good smart device racers? One of the worst things I've experienced is an auto racer where you tilted to steer. Bump into the side and you car just keeps wanting to go forward. Compare that to an auto runner where I've had previous good experiences.

Sega did the Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed very nicely on iOS.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Was notified of this when I went on the App store, for sure I set up a notification for its release. Making far too many people mad, like Nintendo are doing this and couldn't possibly be working on another Mario game alongside for console or something, jesus people.

Neat idea, seems like a great way to bring Mario to mobile, ever tried to play a platformer on mobile with virtual d-pad and buttons? No thankyou sir. I'll take single tap.

Tizoc

Hope this can rn on a galaxy tab 3 since my 2 y/o is attached to the one i got him :p
Otherwise he can play it on his parent's ipad
Really excited for this and wish it was out sooner if not already

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sega did the Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed very nicely on iOS.
Oh, maybe I'll give it a look...

Unfortunately it's completely broken on Android, which is a damn shame considering how good it was.
...oh.

Just to be completely transparent, the racing game I tried was Konami Krazy Racer. Considering the quality of the GBA original, this was shockingly poor.

Wut? Quote in the OP says the game is F2P with IAP.
Popular assumption is it's free to start and you pay a one off fee for the rest of the content.

bomma_man

Those games are terrible though.

Putting that type of game on mobile would be a bit too on the nose I think.

Whatever you think about the design of those games (Spirit Tracks is pretty good!) you can't knock the controls, unless you myopically hate touch controls by default.

Top Bottom