• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Hermii

I am moderately hyped for this. The Rayman game is fun, and I'm sure they will nail the controls. I don't see it taking off like Pokemon Go though, but what do I know.

I am moderately hyped for this. The Rayman game is fun, and I'm sure they will nail the controls. I don't see it taking off like Pokemon Go though, but what do I know.
It doesn't need to though. It's not a social or a free game.

How much money would Nintendo make if they sold it for $1.99 and 40 million people bought it?

I see this at 4.99 the cheapest tbh.
Wow really? The only reason I said so cheap was because Idk how phone gamers would react to a $4.99 price. I have no problem with $4.99 though.

I'm not sure how games at that price usually sell on mobile. 30 million seems reasonable?

Jimrpg

Maybe it'll be $1 per world with the first world free. They could do 8 worlds plus a rainbow world meaning it could be $8 total.

Hermii

Wow really? The only reason I said so cheap was because Idk how phone gamers would react to a $4.99 price. I have no problem with $4.99 though.

I'm not sure how games at that price usually sell on mobile. 30 million seems reasonable?

Usually games on mobile dont have Mario in them, and arent marketed on Apple events.

What did the Rayman game cost?

This game cant possibly have a high budget though. Its using the nsmb engine and nsmb assets.

hemo memo

Gold Member

It'll be a better game that's for sure. Rayman game control wonderfully.

It looks like you'll pretty much get a little demo/trial to play at first and then you play one price for the whole game and that's it. No more purchases. Just one price. Good way to do it.

DpadD

Banned
It doesn't need to though. It's not a social or a free game.

How much money would Nintendo make if they sold it for $1.99 and 40 million people bought it?

Well, Apple takes a 30% on whatever that would be, unless they worked out some deal with Nintendo.

oti

Banned
They said it was free to download (some kind of trial version) and then unlocked with one time purchase.

This obviously allows them to introduce "expansions" down the line.

It's also the best way to release an app for the piracy ridden Android.

Just seen that Pokemon Go has passed 500million downloads. That is staggering.

Can totally see why Nintendo have done this, and Sony have re-ignited their interest in utilising their own IP, amongst other publishers too. Return for investment is way to good to miss out on.

I am just realizing now that Nintendo having Mario entering the mobile market is positioning them to raze the fucking earth of all the Mario ripoffs in both stores.

God help us all.

It'll be $14.99 to $19.99 for the whole game, but you'll have an option to buy individual worlds for like 2.99 to 3.99. Similar model to their free to start pushmo game.

Luq

This is bullsh at the top it can be. Mario games on console are different by far. People know the different. This is the best thing they can do now. And as nintendo said: the next console mario will be sync in time.

Meme-d so hard. Welp, at least you learned something new today :)

KtSlime

They did mention playing it with only one hand. I know you can also do it in landscape mode, but they probably aim at a more natural way of holding the phone.
One handed sideways is really unstable, the amount of times you get bumped on the subway during rush hour, vertical really is the best decision.

This game looks great and will be really fun with all the different routes and moving obstacles.

random25

One handed sideways is really unstable, the amount of times you get bumped on the subway during rush hour, vertical really is the best decision.

This game looks great and will be really fun with all the different routes and moving obstacles.

That, plus the center of gravity when holding the phone horizontally with one hand will make it uncomfortable in long sessions.

Dee Dee

It'll be $14.99 to $19.99 for the whole game, but you'll have an option to buy individual worlds for like 2.99 to 3.99. Similar model to their free to start pushmo game.

Hm, sounds thinkable for Nintendo. Not sure what they are aiming for with the game.
If it's supposed to make some extra money, this might be their approach, but I thought they are still experimenting with their reach and strengthening their IP, which would require a lower price to maximise the effect.

Either way, I am not expecting less then 5 $.

TrueBlue

I hope Luigi and Peach are playable in this.

I saw a "Change" icon next to a drawing of Mario in the debut footage, so hopefully that's a sign of alternate characters.

It probably is but people who play games on their phone don't care look at Pokemon Go awful game 500 million Downloads.

Pokemon Go has some really great ideas though. The execution is a bit shaky, but it's a pretty genius concept. This just seems... uninspired. I guess this will show the power of Mario as an IP. They definitely got a big reaction from the reveal.

Forkball

There is no god.

Beyond that revelation, I can see some interesting gameplay mechanics in the video, like the platforms that let you jump backwards. The touch area seems so huge though, maybe I need to be hands on to appreciate it.

correojon

I was a little disappointed when I saw it was a runner, I usually don´t like those kind of games, but looking at the video it seems there´ll more interaction besides jumping at the right moment. And most of all, it won´t be an endless runner but each stage will be designed with Nintendo standards so in fact it´s looking pretty great. I love it when each level is centered around a mechanic and develops different situations to use it throughout, so seems like I´ll enjoy the game a lot if they go this route. Now, let´s hope they don´t take too long for the Android release :S

Looking forward to being able to talk about Mario with normal people.
Also, this!

Top Bottom