• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

So for what it's worth the "Notify" button on my iPhone 5c worked last night, so for those of you that were getting an "incompatible" notification, try it out again.

5c isn't super different from 5 right? If that's the case maybe it really is just a bug (still doesn't work for me though, any other 5 users can confirm?)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Mine too. I just tried it. So it definitely works on a 5C. Though by the time the game comes out, I hope to not even have my 5C anymore.

I'm kind of torn on upgrading. Half of me wants a SE for more storage and a better camera, but the other half just wants to ride out the 5c until the thing crumbles to dust in my hands.

5c isn't super different from 5 right? If that's the case maybe it really is just a bug (still doesn't work for me though, any other 5 users can confirm?)

Nope, the 5c has a marginally better camera and one or two minor differences but the otherwise it's largely a iPhone 5 in a colorful polycarbonate case.

Ninja Dom

With Apple's cut, isn't this almost a technical impossibility? Especially with the NX rumoured to be around the same price as the AppleTV?

Apple receive a 30% cut of app purchases and in-app purchases.

Apple TV is £139 (32GB) and £179 (64GB) in the UK. That means the 32GB model is cheaper than the official price of the New Nintendo 3DS (£149).

Is NX rumoured to be cheaper than the New Nintendo 3DS?

AdanVC

That garbage 'new' art style and music really suits the iPhone aesthetics.

Will of course buy this game on day one but yeah, this is the only downside to me as well. I've always disliked the NSMB artstyle. 2D Mario desperately needs a new fresh coat of paint on that department. It's been 10 years and they still keep using it...

Ninja Dom

Will of course buy this game on day one but yeah, this is the only downside to me as well. I've always disliked the NSMB artstyle. 2D Mario desperately needs a new fresh coat of paint on that department. It's been 10 years and they still keep using it...

I love it.

It's my default skin when I make a level in Super Mario Maker. Different tastes, eh?

ghibli99

I agree, keep it off consoles and onto Phones/Tablets.
NSMB Wii, U, and NSLU are some of the best modern platformers. Graphics could have been Atari 2600-style and they still would have been amazing. They're clean, not "garbage", but hey, different strokes I guess.

NSMB Wii, U, and NSLU are some of the best modern platformers. Graphics could have been Atari 2600-style and they still would have been amazing. They're clean, not "garbage", but hey, different strokes I guess.

Look man, I enjoy the actual games, just the style leaves a lot to be desired. I would never agree for full-fledged 2d platformers to go to phones.

With Apple's cut, isn't this almost a technical impossibility? Especially with the NX rumoured to be around the same price as the AppleTV?

Both Apple and Android get a 30% cut as platform holders, so it won't give them the same revenue stream as a full fledged console, considering it's a premium pricing app (albeit downloaded for free).

That said, it'll probably make them more money than the swathe of Wii U titles they've made this past year.

AdanVC

I love it.

It's my default skin when I make a level in Super Mario Maker. Different tastes, eh?

Hah! Different tastes indeed. I simply don't hate it like some people here but I just got bored of it because they've been using it for almost ten years! Even 3D Mario games change it's artstyle on each new game. They should do the same with each new 2D Mario game : /

Kouriozan

Wonder why it took me so long but I realized this game will probably have courses like the cannon ones in New Super Mario Bros 2 and I loved those.
Now I'm getting hyped, just hope there will be a special challenging level pack.
Here's a video if you didn't play this game/forgot about it : https://youtu.be/9wI6wClmV8Y
In the cannon courses, Mario is indeed always running just like in Super Mario Run.

KooopaKid

Banned
Seems pretty fun for an iOS game. They are right using only simple taps for input.
Some things that seem strange:
- Only 3 levels per world seen on the map? How many levels will be there in total?
- If you don't jump over an enemy, Mario automatically hop over them? They don't hurt you?
- The backgrounds don't seem finished and are static, no moving clouds or dancing flowers?
- The ghost stamp is a bit cheap. Is that too difficult to see the real ghost of the other players?
- The touch area is ugly.

How? Seriously, how?

Sometimes I just don't understand people.

You were honestly expecting them to kick things off with Miyamoto walking out to announce a new Mario game on iOS? At an Apple conference? How is it hard to understand that someone would be surprised by that? Go read the first couple pages of this thread. Judging by the amount of surprised reactions it doesn't seem that strange to me. It's easy to sit back and say "Eventually I'm sure Nintendo will release major franchise games on mobile" but I doubt many people expected them to do it this soon, at an Apple conference, and with the NX on the horizon.

shanafan

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/775364069779869696

k3lOy8S.png

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It'll cement them nicely in both the mobile and home markets. The in app purchases will probably be epic giving Nintendo a very huge insurge of money. It may also prompt folks who really never bothered with Nintendo to check out their hand held and home consoles(NX).

My prediction? Angry Birds just had Mario jump on their heads. Gonna be exciting to see how successful Mario will be on mobile.

Vidiot

I don't really see how you could say much worse when the assets seem to be identical. Music alone makes it superior to me so far.

Not visually, but gameplay. I know play before you judge and all that but I just don't like the way it looks to play. Would rather just pop in NSMB2. That's just me though. I'm just not into simplified mobile games. I'm sure it'll sell like crazy though.

Drackhorn

Seems pretty fun for an iOS game. They are right using only simple taps for input.
- Only 3 levels per world seen on the map? How many levels will be there in total?
- If you don't jump over an enemy, Mario automatically hop over them? They don't hurt you?
- The backgrounds don't seem finished and are static, no moving clouds or dancing flowers?
- The ghost stamp is a bit cheap. Is that too difficult to see the real ghost of the other players?

Which is why I think the Rayman games will turn out to be the better ones compared to this.

Wonder why it took me so long but I realized this game will probably have courses like the cannon ones in New Super Mario Bros 2 and I loved those.
Now I'm getting hyped, just hope there will be a special challenging level pack.
Here's a video if you didn't play this game/forgot about it : https://youtu.be/9wI6wClmV8Y
In the cannon courses, Mario is indeed always running just like in Super Mario Run.
Forgot all about these levels. This would actually be perfect, and certainly much better than anything else on the mobile platforming market.

HeySeuss

What do we think the price will actually be? I'm thinking 2.99 would be the sweet spot. People know they are getting something quality and it still keeps it at a mass market price.

Some people were saying 9.99 and that's just insane for a mobile game imo.

jchap

What do we think the price will actually be? I'm thinking 2.99 would be the sweet spot. People know they are getting something quality and it still keeps it at a mass market price.

Some people were saying 9.99 and that's just insane for a mobile game imo.

Insane for a low quality mobile game without the biggest mascot in gaming maybe.

AdanVC

It's the artstyle. It's always been meh looking since the first game on DS. Now I'm worried the game might be too short/easy : / And Nintendo is not known for releasing a lot of post-release content :(

He is too adorable when doing silly stuff like this.

HeySeuss

Insane for a low quality mobile game without the biggest mascot in gaming maybe.

You really think it'll sell on a mobile platform for 10 bucks? Even for Nintendo quality, that's a steep price for a time waster game. People don't get mobile games for the purposes of completion like console/handheld gamers do. Most people use mobile games while waiting at the doctor or keeping their kid occupied, or on the bus/subway etc.

The whole point of it is to get people to spend money on the NX and enjoy a full gaming experience. This is a taste to whet your appetite.

btkadams

Isnt gaming on Apple TV a bomba?
I think the new apple tv has done well enough but it hasn't set the world on fire at all. I think they really killed gaming on it by restricting developers to using the siri remote when it was revealed/launched. Since then, they've removed the restriction so that people can make games that require a real controller, but it's too late for most people to care. It could have been something if a bunch of controller-required games came out around launch with all the buzz imo.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I was under the impression this was ftp with in app purchases? It'll have a base price and in app purchases? Anywhere from $1.99 to $6.99. $10 would be pushing it for mobile imo.

HeySeuss

I was under the impression this was ftp with in app purchases? It'll have a base price and in app purchases? Anywhere from $1.99 to $6.99. $10 would be pushing it for mobile imo.

I think it's free to try, but you need to buy the full game. Which seems like you can buy it in-app. But I bet you can buy the purple coins or something like that as well.

I think the new apple tv has done well enough but it hasn't set the world on fire at all. I think they really killed gaming on it by restricting developers to using the siri remote when it was revealed/launched. Since then, they've removed the restriction so that people can make games that require a real controller, but it's too late for most people to care. It could have been something if a bunch of controller-required games came out around launch with all the buzz imo.

Publishing a game on the Apple TV isnt going to make anyone rich.
Outside Apple themselves of course

Ninja Dom

No, it'll be free to download which would come with a small amount of courses that people can play for free.

Then to access the full entire game there will be a one-off fee that people pay. You only have to pay this fee once to have access all content in the game.

udivision

Between Mario Maker Wii U, 3DS, and Super Mario Run, it'd be impossible for Nintendo to sell a NSMB in the same vain as the previous 4. Maybe that confirms the end of the series?

Septimius

Am I the only one completely turned off by the perpetual running mechanic? I've played some iOS games with it, and I never did like them.

Am I the only one completely turned off by the perpetual running mechanic? I've played some iOS games with it, and I never did like them.

I love Runner2 so much I have bought it on PC, Vita, and Wii U, so no, nothing about a constant running mechanic is automatically bad.

Top Bottom