• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Thanks, this is a great explanation. It seems like Vectoring was easier? In any case I didn't notice anything different before reading this lol
Vectoring is closer to what people naturally do, I think, so yeah. DI always seemed counter-intuitive to me but from what people are saying what little DI there is in the game isn't strong enough to save you much more than 1% to 4% above what would normally kill you so it might not be worth worrying about too much :eek:

We'll have to wait and see what people can find (though peeps are always welcome to look into it themselves too :3 )

That said, if VI is definitely gone and DI is as weak as people claim it is in this, then I can see a lot of combos becoming more reliable, including Palutena's d-throw into n-air XD

What's everyone's For Glory stats looking like going into Smash WiiU tomorrow?

I hit 1000 matches earlier tonight:

KGxgy1h.jpg

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like Ness mains on For Glory are the only people who know what fun is. We spammed 'okay' a lot and when we couldn't spam it no more, we switched to PK Rocking headbanging and raise the roof u-tilts.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Glad about that vectoring change. A lot of time is spent on recovery and it's more fun to put the slight bit of extra thought towards aiming your trajectory than simply always holding to the stage.

It also opens a lot more potential for combos and makes people die a bit sooner, which was needed.

Though i do admit it's slightly more confusing to people who don't know about it.

Glad about that vectoring change. A lot of time is spent on recovery and it's more fun to put the slight bit of extra thought towards aiming your trajectory than simply always holding to the stage.

It also opens a lot more potential for combos and makes people die a bit sooner, which was needed.

Though i do admit it's slightly more confusing to people who don't know about it.
I don't think something that requires an explanation of vector mechanics and usually some kind of diagram or demo to fully demonstrate it can ever count as being 'slightly' more confusing than simply "hold the direction you want to go", but maybe that's just me? :p

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think something that requires an explanation of vector mechanics and usually some kind of diagram or demo to fully demonstrate it can ever count as being 'slightly' more confusing than simply "hold the direction you want to go", but maybe that's just me? :p

I don't know why some people make it so complicated in their explinations. You don't need graphs to explain DI.

Basically the distance you're going to travel after being hit is going to be the same every time. The farthest death point from the stage is the corner so angle yourself towards the corner.

It's just not self apparent or explained in the game, but neither is vectoring, which is just DI except you can influence the distanced traveled after being hit, and reducing that distance traveled was better than changing angles.

I don't know why some people make it so complicated in their explinations. You don't need graphs to explain DI.

Basically the distance you're going to travel after being hit is going to be the same every time. The farthest death point from the stage is the corner so angle yourself towards the corner.

It's just not self apparent or explained in the game, but neither is vectoring, which is just DI except you can influence the distanced traveled after being hit, and reducing that distance traveled was better than changing angles.
People make their explanations as complex as they need to be. The paragraph you just used to explain it usually gets a either a 'why?' or a blank look from a lot of people until you break out the graph paper :3

Vectoring was intuitive because it's pretty similar to a mechanic already evident in the game: air-control. in many ways, VI is just a natural extension of your ability to control your velocity in the air and also ties in to the input most people new to the game will instinctively attempt :eek:

I'm not too fussed about VI going, personally, but I've never been a huge fan of DI due to it being somewhat non-intuitive to most players I've introduced to the game :p

RiggyRob

What's everyone's For Glory stats looking like going into Smash WiiU tomorrow?

I hit 1000 matches earlier tonight:

KGxgy1h.jpg

I've got around 800 wins / 400 losses on For Glory (~65% win rate), but the most interesting thing is that because I use Random the spread of wins is really weird - I've got 24 wins with Dedede, Pac-Man, and even Zelda.

I suck using Falco though, only 7 wins with him.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm sitting at a 60% win rate after 2000+ matches. Considering how many insanely good people are on here--probably a lot more truly hardcore players on average than the US For Glory--I suppose the ratio makes sense.

ZeroX03

Banned
UWrCK6d.jpg

Finally playing this game how it was intended to be played. At least on a portable. C-stick works nicely and load times are much better. I can load Miiverse but can't post Smash shots to it though?

Jado

Banned
I had no idea DI was a thing in past games and wasn't really sure VI was a real gameplay mechanic in Smash4. I thought maybe it was in my head that holding the opposite direction of an attack was preventing me from dying. Geez. :l

JoeInky

Lots of ragequitters on for glory today.

Makes me wish nintendo had a proper messaging system so I could receive some rage mail, they were always fun on the 360.

emb

Jeeze you guys, I only have 97 for glory battles. Where do you get the time for this kinda crap.
Most of the time I usually play for 30 minutes to an hour once I'm ready for bed. It's so easy to jump into a match then just get carried about wanting another shot at whoever you played, or wanting to give them another try.

Moonlight

Banned
Most of the time I usually play for 30 minutes to an hour once I'm ready for bed. It's so easy to jump into a match then just get carried about wanting another shot at whoever you played, or wanting to give them another try.
It'd be better if there was a messaging system of some kind, even some pre-generated sentences or something. I always feel bad about bailing on someone I'm having fun with/learning from/whatever and isn't quitting out themselves because I don't want to send the wrong message, so I just keep rematching till they bail themselves. :lol

It'd be better if there was a messaging system of some kind, even some pre-generated sentences or something. I always feel bad about bailing on someone I'm having fun with/learning from/whatever and isn't quitting out themselves because I don't want to send the wrong message, so I just keep rematching till they bail themselves. :lol

yeah, I'd at least like to be able to say "last game" in the character select or "gg" or something :3

emb

But sometimes Hyrule Warriors needs playing! D:
Hey, no Johns! :p

I actually let a friend of mine borrow HW right around Smash release, because I had Smash to play. Now I really need to get that back. Fun game.

Not that I'll have time for a while, with Smash Wii U AND Pokemon releasing tomorrow.

Masked Man

I said wow
I finished the main storyline on Hyrule Warriors, and I'll get around to completing the Adventure Mode eventually. I bought Captain Toad last week (so adorable!), but I doubt that will take me too long. I'll probably pick up Alpha Sapphire later today. I also still have to finish Xenoblade! I just made it to the Eryth Sea, so I'm sure I still have quite a ways to go.

Awesome! I got a "not the latest save data" error and was forced to create a new file and lost everything. :|

Oh, no! :( I'm sorry to hear that...

I finished the main storyline on Hyrule Warriors, and I'll get around to completing the Adventure Mode eventually. I bought Captain Toad last week (so adorable!), but I doubt that will take me too long. I'll probably pick up Alpha Sapphire later today. I also still have to finish Xenoblade! I just made it to the Eryth Sea, so I'm sure I still have quite a ways to go.

Heh, the main story is a droplet of content compared to the ocean that is the adventure map. Good luck! :3

Also, Eryth Sea is probably my favourite location in Xenoblade XD

random25

With update 1.0.4 it seems that getting KOs is so much faster. Game usually finishes at 2 and a half minutes. Kinda wished FG was 3 stocks this time around.

I am, though I'm unexpectedly getting a Wii U next week. Don't know how much I'll play of each one once I have it on Wii U.

And people really wanted Mario buffs? He's so good in this game, I haven't really found him notably lacking in any category.

So like, headcount. How many people here are still playing 3DS?

I am, at least until hopefully tonight.

And people really wanted Mario buffs? He's so good in this game, I haven't really found him notably lacking in any category.
Based on Jumpman's performance he did have trouble in some top tier matchups, but some of those have been nerfed, so we may see a viable character in the making.

Top Bottom