• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT3| Little Mac and Cheese

Moonlight

Banned
henceforth this OT should be known as Super Smash Poverty

I am, though I'm unexpectedly getting a Wii U next week. Don't know how much I'll play of each one once I have it on Wii U.

And people really wanted Mario buffs? He's so good in this game, I haven't really found him notably lacking in any category.
Mario is very underwhelming in many, many ways. His recovery is awful with cape-stalling being massively nerfed, and his damage output is mediocre in pretty much every way. He has combos, sure, but his reward is very poor. The dude is not great.

Beats

I dunno if I'll still play on the 3DS. I played the Wii U version for a couple of hours already and I don't think I can go back to the circle pad for this game. : (

Beats

i really am going to have to buy a wiiu aren't i

yeah. : p

Well, if I didn't have one already I'd buy one for Smash (it helps that I enjoyed the 3DS version). Are there any other games you're interested in on the system? If not, then I suppose it could be worth it if you plan to play Smash a lot. But I dunno. lol

Moonlight

Banned
Well, more than a few. Bayo 2, W101, maybe Mario Kart 8, maybe DKC Tropical Freeze, definitely the game that never was SMT x Fire Emblem, some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I just have so much other stuff to buy (like three 3DS games this month!) and I've been trying to put this purchase off. ;_;

Well, more than a few. Bayo 2, W101, maybe Mario Kart 8, maybe DKC Tropical Freeze, definitely the game that never was SMT x Fire Emblem, some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I just have so much other stuff to buy (like three 3DS games this month!) and I've been trying to put this purchase off. ;_;
You mean Hyrule Warriors ;D

I'll still be stuck with 3DS for 1 more week, but I don't know how much I'll be on anyhoo due to needing to crack on with work. Sadly games don't make themselves :p

Probably a dumb question, but does the Amiibo stuff work for the 3DS version, or it is specific to the WiiU?
Until they release the NFC adaptor there's no way to scan an Amiibo with your 3DS unless you have a 'New' 3DS which has one built in already :p
Software-wise, I don't see any indication of it yet (on wii-u it's in the 'custom' section so I'd expect the same for 3DS) but they'll no doubt patch it in once the adaptor is available :3

Until they release the NFC adaptor there's no way to scan an Amiibo with your 3DS unless you have a 'New' 3DS which has one built in already :p
Software-wise, I don't see any indication of it yet (on wii-u it's in the 'custom' section so I'd expect the same for 3DS) but they'll no doubt patch it in once the adaptor is available :3

Ah, cool. Thanks for the info.

kunonabi

Tried unlocking the last 8 hats so my friends could do all their customizations and transfer them but I give up. 20 straight hours of classic mode/target blast and not a single new hat or trophy. Trophies have apparently completely dried up in the shop/trophy rush/classic mode so I have no idea what to do about them either.

RiggyRob

Lol, thread is dead.

Moving to Community killed it, even before the Wii U version came out.

How many trophies are there to get? I'm at 600 now and I haven't done most of the characters in Classic yet, so it'd be nice knowing that I only need to finish off that last challenge for collecting all of the trophies.

Masked Man

I said wow

How many trophies are there to get? I'm at 600 now and I haven't done most of the characters in Classic yet, so it'd be nice knowing that I only need to finish off that last challenge for collecting all of the trophies.

The JP version has 685, and I'm guessing that's consistent with the US/PAL versions as well. :)

thread started dying long before it ever got moved to community lol

but really now, you would think this and the Mario Kart 8 OT would be more alive considering that Europe hasn't even gotten the Wii U version yet

Gemnosity, let me bother you:
What is the proper way to fastfall Palutena's fair and Bair?

What are your top 10 Palutena tips?

It's somewhat tricky but you basically just have to fastfall (aka press down on the movement stick) right after you throw out the attack. You want to do the attack just at the height of your jump so you can fastfall afterwards (especially as you can't fastfall on the way up for whatever reason).
It's kinda confusing because you'll see the glint that shows you fastfalled before you see the animation for the attack come out XD
If you do it right though then you'll actually kind of 'strafe' the hitbox of the attack as you fastfall meaning it'll hit all the way down: especially handy against shorter opponents :eek:

Tips? 10 of them no less? :eek:
Well, to save a wall of text, this video isn't unhelpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPU7GTemEXA

Though I'll add some things the video didn't cover...
* I say this all the time but the shield on palutena's arm gains hitbox eating abilities when you dash attack or back-air. Learn it and abuse it. You can dash attack through all kinds of things like wario's bike or people's projectiles and if you distance it right you can even dash attack through shulk's counter unharmed (if you do it from too far away the dash attack will end before the counter-blow comes out and the hitboxes on it will return) :3 Just be wary of dash attack's slow recovery.
* Jab is your friend. Palutena's jab not only has surprisingly high priority allowing you to stuff a number of attacks (e.g. diddy's face-hump) and projectiles, but if you jab then wait a small bit you can often follow up with a grab or another jab before the opponent lands and recovers (if you're too quick you'll trigger the jab combo so you'll need to practice if you want to get it out as quickly as possible :3 )
* Palutena's up-air is not only a great kill move but I honestly don't think anything can beat it from above while it's active. People's divekicks will get beat out by it so it's a fun thing to shove up greninja and ZSS when they're trying to dive down on you :p
* While the video pokes fun (deservedly so) at her default specials, they're not useless and worth learning to use if you're not playing custom. Auto-reticule in particular, if you can get used to its quirks, can shut down a lot of people's ranged game as it'll often blast their projectiles out of the air. Robin has a hellish time against it and even Samus will want to close distance to stop being pelted. You can punish a lot of things with it too fairly safely (it won't KO obviously but it'll help you build % and pisses people off an insane amount :3 ) Also auto-reticule can't be reflected back at you so feel free to spam it at reflector characters with impunity... just be wary of the slow startup and recovery :p
* If you're playing Palutena on for glory and your opponent is either fox or falco, toss out a reflector immediately as soon as the match starts. Not only will you usually wrack up a surprising amount of percent from reflecting their initial barrage at them before they realise what's happening but it helps set a "don't bother shooting" tone that will make them very cautious about using their lasers for the rest of the match :3
* If you're playing Palutena on for glory and your opponent is samus I can almost guarantee that all but the greenest of them will attempt a dash attack on you so unlike fox or falco, don't do a reflect at the beginning or you'll get an armoured shoulder to the face ^.^;
* I honestly wouldn't bother with her tilts in general until you're confident with the rest of her moves :p
* If you're not confident about hitting people with down-air when trying to catch someone returning to the stage, up-air makes a great kill alternative and neutral-air can often catch people. It'll suck them in if any of the spins touch them, lasts long enough to snag people who try to air dodge and you'll carry them down with you as you fall (shame the last hit knocks them back up again but it means they'll have to attempt to come back to the stage again :3 )
* If you fastfall up-air or neutral-air you can often end up dragging people down with you to the ground where you can catch them with a grab/jab to combo more.
* I suspect it's been fixed but I've not been on to try it: you used to be able to do short-hop neutral air while standing at the edge to edge-guard. Thing is, if you did it right you'd land and not do the last hit of neutral-air which for some reason turned the attack into a spike XD

Also, just to give you some ideas here's a recent palutena combo video someone made on wii-u: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWh98mlqtI

It's somewhat tricky but you basically just have to fastfall (aka press down on the movement stick) right after you throw out the attack. You want to do the attack just at the height of your jump so you can fastfall afterwards (especially as you can't fastfall on the way up for whatever reason).
It's kinda confusing because you'll see the glint that shows you fastfalled before you see the animation for the attack come out XD
If you do it right though then you'll actually kind of 'strafe' the hitbox of the attack as you fastfall meaning it'll hit all the way down: especially handy against shorter opponents :eek:

Tips? 10 of them no less? :eek:
Well, to save a wall of text, this video isn't unhelpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPU7GTemEXA

Though I'll add some things the video didn't cover...
* I say this all the time but the shield on palutena's arm gains hitbox eating abilities when you dash attack or back-air. Learn it and abuse it. You can dash attack through all kinds of things like wario's bike or people's projectiles and if you distance it right you can even dash attack through shulk's counter unharmed (if you do it from too far away the dash attack will end before the counter-blow comes out and the hitboxes on it will return) :3 Just be wary of dash attack's slow recovery.
* Jab is your friend. Palutena's jab not only has surprisingly high priority allowing you to stuff a number of attacks (e.g. diddy's face-hump) and projectiles, but if you jab then wait a small bit you can often follow up with a grab or another jab before the opponent lands and recovers (if you're too quick you'll trigger the jab combo so you'll need to practice if you want to get it out as quickly as possible :3 )
* Palutena's up-air is not only a great kill move but I honestly don't think anything can beat it from above while it's active. People's divekicks will get beat out by it so it's a fun thing to shove up greninja and ZSS when they're trying to dive down on you :p
* While the video pokes fun (deservedly so) at her default specials, they're not useless and worth learning to use if you're not playing custom. Auto-reticule in particular, if you can get used to its quirks, can shut down a lot of people's ranged game as it'll often blast their projectiles out of the air. Robin has a hellish time against it and even Samus will want to close distance to stop being pelted. You can punish a lot of things with it too fairly safely (it won't KO obviously but it'll help you build % and pisses people off an insane amount :3 ) Also auto-reticule can't be reflected back at you so feel free to spam it at reflector characters with impunity... just be wary of the slow startup and recovery :p
* If you're playing Palutena on for glory and your opponent is either fox or falco, toss out a reflector immediately as soon as the match starts. Not only will you usually wrack up a surprising amount of percent from reflecting their initial barrage at them before they realise what's happening but it helps set a "don't bother shooting" tone that will make them very cautious about using their lasers for the rest of the match :3
* If you're playing Palutena on for glory and your opponent is samus I can almost guarantee that all but the greenest of them will attempt a dash attack on you so unlike fox or falco, don't do a reflect at the beginning or you'll get an armoured shoulder to the face ^.^;
* I honestly wouldn't bother with her tilts in general until you're confident with the rest of her moves :p
* If you're not confident about hitting people with down-air when trying to catch someone returning to the stage, up-air makes a great kill alternative and neutral-air can often catch people. It'll suck them in if any of the spins touch them, lasts long enough to snag people who try to air dodge and you'll carry them down with you as you fall (shame the last hit knocks them back up again but it means they'll have to attempt to come back to the stage again :3 )
* If you fastfall up-air or neutral-air you can often end up dragging people down with you to the ground where you can catch them with a grab/jab to combo more.
* I suspect it's been fixed but I've not been on to try it: you used to be able to do short-hop neutral air while standing at the edge to edge-guard. Thing is, if you did it right you'd land and not do the last hit of neutral-air which for some reason turned the attack into a spike XD

Also, just to give you some ideas here's a recent palutena combo video someone made on wii-u: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znWh98mlqtI
Thank you, this is all fantastic.

I wish Jump Glide and Super Speed were her default specials.

Is there ever a situation where you wouldn't want to FF her fair?

Thank you, this is all fantastic.

I wish Jump Glide and Super Speed were her default specials.

Is there ever a situation where you wouldn't want to FF her fair?
Thankies, I feel like it was a bit scattered but if you want my thoughts on anything specific about her feel free to ask :3
I agree though, her defaults leave much to be desired compared to her customs... I'd probably take explosive flame over auto-reticule personally as I'm pretty good at eyeing distance and the last hit being unblockable makes it excellent for putting the fear into people XD

As for situations you wouldn't want to Freefall with her fair? I can't think of many :p
The only thing I can think of is when you want to double fair as that needs a full jump and the first fair has to be done immediately as soon as you leave the ground to give you time to do the second before you land. Can't think of many situations that double fair has been all that handy though so it goes without saying ^.^;

If you're fastfall f-airing someone a lot it's good to mix in some empty fastfalls just to keep them guessing as while fair is surprisingly safe when spaced correctly it's not always easy to get it right with a constantly moving opponent plus it's not 100% unpunishable on block even if you do get the distance correct.

One technique I don't bother with myself but could up your game if mastered is her teleport edge cancel. Basically if you up-B just to an edge then you'll be able to immediately act as soon as you appear instead of being locked into the usual recovery animation (so for example you can warp then jump or even just warp again immediately!) That said, if you don't do something immediately then you'll kind of just slide off the edge into a normal fall so be careful XD
It takes practice to get the distance down but if you get good at it you can zip around stages like battlefield at a surprising pace plus it allows for a few extra approach/escape options. Just be aware that if you get the distance wrong and overshoot when using the stage's edge then you WILL fall helplessly to your death... as such it's a bit safer to use on platform edges than the stage edge, though you'll still be in special fall until you land if you miss those :3
An easy one to judge if you want to get started is you can warp from the center of the top battlefield platform to the edge of either bottom platform. As long as you aim your warp correctly (just slightly down but not too horizontal) then you should hit the edge every time :3
Failing that, standing on the ground, in the middle area of the stage and almost under one of the side platforms in battlefield (NOT actually under them in any capacity though, that's too close to the edge and you'll overshoot) should give you the perfect distance to warp edge cancel on the stage itself.

Is the AI good in the 3DS version?
In other words, is this game difficult or easy? (especially compared to the Wii U version for those that happen to have both)
I'm thinking of buying it but I can't stand to purchase another easy Nintendo game

The ai in the 3ds version is pretty easy, sadly due to technical issues. In addition all star mode is basically a glorified multi man melee mode where cpus die nearly instantly.

danielcw

Is the AI good in the 3DS version?
In other words, is this game difficult or easy? (especially compared to the Wii U version for those that happen to have both)
I'm thinking of buying it but I can't stand to purchase another easy Nintendo game

How good are you at Smash Bros in general?

You have many options to make the game as difficult as you want.

I really started picking this game up in my downtime. I played the WiiU version the other day and while it was fun didn 't really feel a whole lot different. I am still satisfied playing the 3DS version, even if it's not most people's preferred choice.

I've had some time to play the Wii U version. Obviously the best version if you have friends nearby, but the 3DS one really isn't obsolete. Though the Wii U does tend to be less predictable with its dodges and doesn't self-destruct as often.

And I really don't have that big of a problem with the circle pad. I use a 3DS grip and I don't really like that the circle pad doesn't feel as strong as an analog stick, but switching back and forth I don't really feel more confident playing on Gamecube controller. For people who played competitive Melee I know that the circle pad is obviously inferior, but it doesn't bother me.

Masked Man

I said wow
Heh, I know what you mean, but it just means you have to be a bit more tricky yourself to make up for it ;D

I feel like being trickier will be a lot easier once I have the C-Stick at my disposal. ;P That said, it's still super-satisfying to land a charged Up Smash against recovery moves like Ike's Side-B or Rosalina's Up-B.

Also, I just got through the Eryth Sea and moved on to Valak Mountain! :D

I feel like being trickier will be a lot easier once I have the C-Stick at my disposal. ;P That said, it's still super-satisfying to land a charged Up Smash against recovery moves like Ike's Side-B or Rosalina's Up-B.

Also, I just got through the Eryth Sea and moved on to Valak Mountain! :D
Heh, congrats. Eryth Sea and a location you've yet to visit are my two favourite locations in Xenoblade Chronicles :3
A lot of people seem to love Gaur plains and while I enjoyed it I think there are plenty of other locations in the game that surpass it XD

I'm hoping the better controls on the wii-u version help me out but we'll have to see. I was never a c-stick user to begin with, but I can't help but think the stick will be a big improvement over the circle-pad for me at least :D
As much as I love up-smashing peeps, I really feel I need to ingrain the usage of down-smash on people who are recovering just to kill people that much earlier :p

It's highly unlikely, but hmm, I wonder if I was playing against the real one... lol

gOi9xI7.jpg

Gemnosity, any recordings of your Palutena play?

Also, I don't know how to handle Sonic and Little Mac with her. Too fast to handle. I am used to Bowser's huge, fast normals.

It's highly unlikely, but hmm, I wonder if I was playing against the real one... lol
Probably not. I fought a HungryBox, but he was too free for me to believe it. I don't get losers like that.

Gemnosity, any recordings of your Palutena play?

Also, I don't know how to handle Sonic and Little Mac with her. Too fast to handle. I am used to Bowser's huge, fast normals.
Heh, the gap between what i know and what I do means it's probably better to look at recordings of someone else XD
I find kmpyj1's off-stage play quite refreshing to watch, personally as it's much more aggressive/impressive than anything I would remember to do in the heat of battle :3

Hmmm... sonic i'm not sure how to deal with yet either. If your opponent is silly enough to attack along the ground then your jabs can actually clank or beat most of the approach options there. Aerials can be beat with up-tilt as well. The problem is that it's hard to tell which angle sonic will come from in time to perform the relevant moves so I find myself shielding/spot-dodging a lot while i try to get a read on their patterns :/

Little mac on the other hand? Stay near the edge and throw the jerk off :p
While Palutena's counter is laughable I probably get it off against little mac more than any other character, just be aware that a small subset of mac's moves don't get knocked back by the counter which means he'll recover before you and you'll actually open yourself up with the successful counter, ironically :/
It's hard to give a hard and fast rule for mac because there's a lot of ways to play his ground game. If he's counter happy then just go in for the grabs. If he's evasive, single jabs are fast enough to try and punish without making yourself too vulnerable in return and open him up for a follow-up jab,grab or smash.
I'd be tempted to suggest aerial approaches but the armour on his smashes can make that quite dangerous depending on your opponent so it's worth doing a few test kicks to see what they do.
It's worth noting, though, that if mac ends up in the air above you due to your throws or anything else then there's literally nothing he can do to you as up-air is pretty much unbeatable when it hits from below. Even if he attempts to use the counter you'll be too far below him for the counter to connect.
If for any reason he decides to use his charge punch or even jump feel free to rattle him with some auto-target as it's about the only time you'll ever safely get to use it against him.
I doubt you need help against more predictable macs but if they rush forward mindlessly too much you can often time forward smash so they'll run face-first into it. You'd be surprised how many KOs I've scored against little mac that way :p

edit: While I haven't the foggiest how to even capture footage of my play, I'm sure we could have some online matches sometime if you like though just for the heck of it.

Beats

I just wanna say that I appreciate your posts Geminosity. : p

I played Palutena for a little bit the other day and I managed to gimp people using the pushback from her reflector when they were trying to recover lol.

k_hop

RIP this thread

I don't suppose anyone here knows a good IRC or something to arrange 3DS matchmaking, would they? Since this thread seems awful slow to do it here anymore...

I just wanna say that I appreciate your posts Geminosity. : p

I played Palutena for a little bit the other day and I managed to gimp people using the pushback from her reflector when they were trying to recover lol.
No worries and thankies!
If people find my posts useful then consider me happy :3

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
RIP this thread

I don't suppose anyone here knows a good IRC or something to arrange 3DS matchmaking, would they? Since this thread seems awful slow to do it here anymore...

There are SmashGAF IRC (If it's not linked in OT then check Wii U OT for a link in second post) but I doubt that people are playing Smash 3DS other than what you have seen in this thread so far.

Is it possible to save my replays before I do the update? Havent touched Smash 3DS in a while but it says if I do this update my replays will be deleted.

Moonlight

Banned
I put down the game for a few days for Alpha Sapphire, and when I picked it up again I actually started dropping games against Down-B spamming Kirbies and Counter-spamming Shulks. The fact I'm actually worse at this game now really stings. ;_;

random25

Hey Smash 3DS fans! I realized this is a good place to post this here since people here can help me on this. I can delete this post if it's inappropriate. I just kind of remembered this since I haven't registered my Smash Wii U yet and I'm doing so right now.

Anyway, here's the thing: I have bought both Smash 3DS and Wii U versions. I would have bought both regardless of the free things but the bonuses are pretty enticing not to avail and having both version I think I deserve them. The problem is: 3DS games here have no Club Nintendo PINs (3DS games sold in Asia work in NA 3DS but just has no CN PIN, as there's no Club Nintendo in Asia outside of Japan), so even if I have both I can't avail of the free CD and the Mewtwo DLC. I tried contacting NA Nintendo support and as expected, they cannot help me since it's a 3DS game not sold in the Americas.

The only viable option I have right now is to sell my physical Smash 3DS copy and re-buy it digitally to get a code. I just don't want to let go of my physical copies since I just love having them on my shelves when I get back to my residence in Canada lol. But then I remembered another way: I still haven't registered my Bayo 2 CN PIN. Basically what I'm trying to say is if somebody here haven't registered their Smash 3DS to CN I can trade my Bayo 2 CN code for it. Wii U games have higher CN coins so it's basically a good trade, especially if you are not interested in the bonuses offered by Smash. for those who may ask, Wii U games here have CN PINs because they are NA imports. :p

For those interested, you can PM me so we can discuss the trade there without polluting this great Smash thread. I apologize for a bit of an off-topic. And thanks for the opportunity to post this!

Not sure if anyone is still here to answer this but I'm trying to finish all the Challenges, and the most annoying one is the 10 Hours/50 Hours of Smash playtime. It was REALLY DUMB that it's restricted to only Smash mode and not Smash Run out Classic (I find Smash Run more fun and its easier to find Custom Equipment as opposed to regular Smash where it's super rare)

Is there anyone whose completed all the challengers know of a way to speed up the process? Does Online play count?

Top Bottom