• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Boney

Banned
Good games, gotta run. WFT is more maneagable as zard even if her air speed makes following up super hard.

Gc is ass still

Oidisco

The kicks wouldn't be so bad if they had a non-sour, non-sweet hitbox. Just something with normal knockback so you aren't screwed if you miss the tiny sweetspot.

I've been punished so many times for hitting someone at mid-percents with the sourspot of one of her kicks, it's really annoying.
And the sweetspot is not only small, but also kinda deceptive in where it actually is. It looks like it should be the very tip of her foot (or rather her entire foot), but instead it's closer to her heel/ankle and can make spacing it properly a little difficult. I've seen Nairo and Cosmo be a little confused about the exact spacing of the kicks, and they're probably the best Zelda's out there.

But yea, what you suggest would be good. I'd kinda like her fair and bair to actually be different moves. Make her fair something fast that can be used to approach or put on a little pressure, and keep her bair as the Lightning Kick.

Actually you know what, I think changing her fair a faster, weaker Din's Fire that doesn't go as far. Make it behave similar to Mii Gunner's fair and that would be such a fantastic tool for her to use. Then switch the current Din's Fire to something actually useful and everything will be wonderful!

Oidisco

Thats fine.

Zelda dittos are always weird so need more practice

Alright cool, I'm ready now so I'll make the room. Gonna make it 3 stocks since I kinda want to play some longer matches if you don't mind.

There's a chance my internet could cut out when playing by the way, still haven't found a way to make my router reset at the same time every night.

Boney

Banned
No you can't, and you won't. Something is wrong with my connection, as there were problems between Laughlin and I, and then people on For Glory.
Bummer, wanna give it a try at least?

And I totally would

Plus, look at what I got

MwRv5j4.jpg

Bummer, wanna give it a try at least?

And I totally would

Plus, look at what I got

I've already turned the game off, started Hearthstone, and got some ice cream.

I also wouldn't be using Yoshi. :p

You bought yourself a Tipster? You made a grave mistake, Boney.

Any tips/critiques? Just got the game so I'm trying to learn.

Your main approach was dash attack, so I wasn't afraid of shielding. I recommend sticking with one character to get used to the game and a specific character. You switched most matches, except for some Fox in a row.

You also roll a lot after you whiff an attack, and I was able to punish that quite a bit with a dash grab or attack. I don't think you did too bad overall, though.

Laughlin

I've already turned the game off, started Hearthstone, and got some ice cream.

I also wouldn't be using Yoshi. :p

You bought yourself a Tipster? You made a grave mistake, Boney.

Your main approach was dash attack, so I wasn't afraid of shielding. I recommend sticking with one character to get used to the game and a specific character. You switched most matches, except for some Fox in a row.

You also roll a lot after you whiff an attack, and I was able to punish that quite a bit with a dash grab or attack. I don't think you did too bad overall, though.

I've played a lot of Smash so I have a decent amount of experience and some technique, but I want to get better. Thanks for the tips.

Oidisco

So glad im getting mario practice. I find him one if my weaker matchups

Glad i'm helping, but keep in mind that my Mario is really weird. I make a lot of dumb mistakes and don't combo with him properly/at all, so it may not be the best practice for you.

But oh man that 1st stock was stylish! Mario felt a lot smoother that match, maybe I should be pessimistic about my characters more often!

Oidisco

Part of the reason my Mario is weird is that I'm trying to picture Ally's Mario in my head while playing. I'm thinking of what he'd do in certain situations, and just makes me play stupidly. When I'm doing things on my own, I'm a lot better

Oidisco

One more as ZSS then I'm gonna switch to Zelda for the last few games.

lol I was pressing the jump button and it wouldn't jump when I was tethered to the ledge!

Well that certainly wasn't the angle I input, oh well. Good game!

GG's. As much as I want to play once family starts claiming the living room I lose all focus. At that point they'll eventually hijack the TV from me and thats done.

Cronox

Banned
Totally agreed.

Actually, I've been thinking about it, and the reason Mewtwo and Bowser could never be good in this game is the lack of crouch-canceled dashes. If you think about it there are only two ways to approach in this game:
1) In the air.
2) On the ground.

Characters like Ness, Yoshi, Sheik, and Mario have amazing and safe aerials. If Yoshi is coming at you, he has multiple safe aerial options to choose from. His ground options aren't great, but that's okay. He has his way of approaching.

Characters without safe aerials have to STOP their run to use a ground normal. It's a little ridiculous, when you think about it. Why have so many characters that can run in and jump attack safely, but no one that can run in and throw a ground poke?

On paper this looks good for Bowser, his dash has one of the fastest stops in the game, especially if you do a slower diagonal dash, his ground normals range is better than most, his pivot grab is huge... but the frame data behind them is just too slow, whether it's how long the attacks take to come out or how long the recovery time after using them is. With some tweaks to frame data and hit boxes (and letting fortress be ledge canceled), Bowser would be easily high tier, but they'd rather buff Charizard and DK more I guess. That's why I hope there'll be a heavy character coming for DLC, cause it seems Sakurai feels pressure to make DLC characters higher tier (ones that aren't "gifts" anyway).

Mewtwo has that terrible stopping animation after a dash, I have no idea what Sakurai was thinking. As for true __(anything)__ canceling, it seems like Sakurai left that behind almost entirely for Smash 4. I mean, there's autocanceling for some moves, and ledge/platform canceling, that's pretty much it. Too bad, cause if the game had L-canceling that would hugely benefit the characters with slower frame data.

Anyone wanna play a few?

Edit: </3

Ha, for some reason the thread seems to die an hour or two earlier than it used to these days.

On paper this looks good for Bowser, his dash has one of the fastest stops in the game, especially if you do a slower diagonal dash, his ground normals range is better than most, his pivot grab is huge... but the frame data behind them is just too slow, whether it's how long the attacks take to come out or how long the recovery time after using them is. With some tweaks to frame data and hit boxes (and letting fortress be ledge canceled), Bowser would be easily high tier, but they'd rather buff Charizard and DK more I guess. That's why I hope there'll be a heavy character coming for DLC, cause it seems Sakurai feels pressure to make DLC characters higher tier (ones that aren't "gifts" anyway).

Mewtwo has that terrible stopping animation after a dash, I have no idea what Sakurai was thinking. As for true __(anything)__ canceling, it seems like Sakurai left that behind almost entirely for Smash 4. I mean, there's autocanceling for some moves, and ledge/platform canceling, that's pretty much it. Too bad, cause if the game had L-canceling that would hugely benefit the characters with slower frame data.

Ha, for some reason the thread seems to die an hour or two earlier than it used to these days.

I agree. It's not that I think crouch-canceling would fix Bowser, but rather that it's a necessary part of fixing him.

That Mewtwo stop really is the worst. Even when you dash in to Disable, sometimes your fingers are a bit too slow and you spin around and die instead.

SoldnerKei

Anyone wanna play a few?

Edit: </3

- Last edited by Anonymous Tipster; Today at 06:43 AM -

I was lurking the thread and was about to post like 5 mins before your edit lol

but I thought it would be pointless since there was like a 3 hours gap since you made the post and just closed the tab, I failed ya Tipster sensei :(

Boney

Banned
The thing that pisses me the most in this game is the clanking mechanic especially against projectiles. It should be knockback based not % based.

The fact that samus up tilt loses to a luigi fireball compared to just getting hit by it.

Oidisco

The thing that pisses me the most in this game is the clanking mechanic especially against projectiles. It should be knockback based not % based.

The fact that samus up tilt loses to a luigi fireball compared to just getting hit by it.

I was playing a friend last night, and several times my Tipper f-smash clanked with Pikachu's f-tilt. Whhhhhyyy?

Top Bottom