• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Beats

Which is a shame because Many would easily pay for character costumes before miis.

One thing on my wishlist before launch was the game being regularly supported with paid cosmetic dlc, but gameplay related content updates like characters and stages would be free or alternatively grind to get/pay to get.

JulianImp

I guess I'll be swapping mains to Ms. Pac-Man now. Whoever suggested to reverse the order fruits show up in must've drunk one too many beers that day, and Baby Pac is an even better meat shield than Luma.

Boney

Banned
At least Samus didn't get nerfed

Edit: are you sure every maintenance has had a balance patch? I'm pretty sure we've had ones where nothing has happened that's why I wasn't expecting anything.

I expect more content in October though, along with a balance patch

After the maintenance, every game I've played has been really laggy. For Glory and against friends. It was fine before

Same here. I have had a couple decent games, but I have also had what is likely to be the laggiest game I have ever had. 2 seconds was more like a minute. But hey, easy powershields!

Not that you should be happy your shit stayed shit, but that they didn't piss all over you and flip you off as well.

I'm sure we'll get Wolf one day, and you too can experience the joy of playing a space animal.
I doubt Wolf will make me happy. I was just hoping for Sakurai to get around to making Mewtwo viable this month.

Oidisco

I just had the loveliest set on For Glory. The guy was a fantastic Zelda, very similar playstyle to Cosmo. I played Marth for a while and it was pretty back-and-forth between us, most games were very close.
I asked through the tags if we could do Zelda dittos and he said "YES PLEASE!" so yea the last couple games were very awkward but fun Zelda dittos.

He won the 1st game very easily, but afterwards I started got into the zone and won most o the games afterwards. After the last game, we basically just gave eachother a bunch of compliments and then left.

Nice contrast to the terrible and very racist player I fought just before.

I was consistently landing all of Zelda's main kill setups so I'm pretty happy. D-tilt to up-air and Nair to elevator

Buff request: Please make Jigglypuffs Rest kill earlier. Rested a Roy at 70% with Rage and he barely went off-screen

Cronox

Banned
We've both played Sheik, and I don't agree with Sheik needing to put as much effort. Sure, she needs effort to play well, but she still has guaranteed combos and 50/50 situations. One big tip for playing against Yoshi is to shield, especially at higher percents. The only thing that Yoshi can kill you when you shield is a down-B, and that is easily predicted. Neutral B only allows for damage and has no kill set-ups because you can always jump and air dodge out, and the same goes for his throws. Never jump right away when Yoshi forward throws. Other than that, you shouldn't be afraid to shield against Yoshi.

I saw some guy have his tag as "LessRolls" for his previous opponent. That seems like a nicer way to put it, and when I thought he was going to be a nice opponent when I saw that.

Ha when Sheik has to individually hit you twice as much or more for the kill, she's working. Some of that is guaranteed (more at lower percents), but so is everyone else's at low percents. I mean, even Bowser has a close to guaranteed uair to fair at 0%. I don't mean to be the Sheik defense force here though. For Yoshi, I'd be happy to stay in shield but I'd just get peppered with eggs or spaced fairs until the situation becomes untenable. Of course there are exceptions, but I ran across a pretty good Yoshi in FG the other day who put me in the dilemma I described. Of course I didn't save a replay :/

Edit: forgot to mention I'm going to steal the "LessRolls" profile. Maybe I'll make a couple others too.

I should follow your example Cronox and just leave when I don't like the opponent I am fighting. Little Mac is so annoying.

Little Mac is super annoying when played well. I played a LM for an hour or so the other night just camping the ledge work-shopping how I could gimp him off a back throw. The fucker was nearly ungimpable. I think I managed it twice in more than a dozen matches. I don't want to fight a Mac that passes the for glory test (back throw -> fairX2) for real, it's just discouraging. Almost makes me wish charging smashes wasn't a thing.

Edit: what the hell is with FG lately, it's filled with almost nothing but people playing characters I don't like or I'm sick of playing against. I leave a Little Mac, there's another Little Mac. Another Ganondorf. A... Marth? Oh wait, he went Ganondorf after I beat him the first time. Gah... I did have one good match against a good Little Mac, I generally camped the ledge and he generally refused to approach. Finally went aggro and killed him with under 30 seconds left. After that the guy switched to... Ganondorf.

Thulius

Ha when Sheik has to individually hit you twice as much or more for the kill, she's working. Some of that is guaranteed (more at lower percents), but so is everyone else's at low percents. I mean, even Bowser has a close to guaranteed uair to fair at 0%. I don't mean to be the Sheik defense force here though. For Yoshi, I'd be happy to stay in shield but I'd just get peppered with eggs or spaced fairs until the situation becomes untenable. Of course there are exceptions, but I ran across a pretty good Yoshi in FG the other day who put me in the dilemma I described. Of course I didn't save a replay :/

Pressing more buttons isn't really putting in more effort when you don't even have to space your Fairs to make them safe.

If you wanna tell me Yoshi is more boring than Sheik I won't argue for a second, but between needles and Fair a patient Sheik can be just as effective as a patient Yoshi with a significantly greater margin of error. Nevermind the potential to go ham, start playing recklessly and still be incredibly safe.

If you get launched at higher %s Uair/vanish is a pure 50/50 because you can't airdodge Uair on reaction and vanish timing is perfect for punishing said airdodge. Needle/bouncing fish creates similar situations offstage. Neither option in either case is a risk for the Sheik player at all.

Doing lots of stuff isn't hard when every guess is heavily weighted in your favor and you can rack up damage safely without ever putting yourself in a situation where you have to guess anyway. It's just an execution barrier.

Practicing some solid ass Doc combos, getting 50% off a grab like I'm Luigi while looking fly as fuck hot damn.

I've pulled a total 180 on this character from months ago when I thought he was pure garbage lol.

Edit: Honestly, if Doc's recovery got buffed he could legitimately be upper-mid tier easy.

Oidisco

For Glory has been weird, I've played more Zeldas and Diddy Kongs in the past 24 hours than I have in the past month. Seriously, those characters have always been super rare on FG for me, even back when Diddy was mega broken I rarely ever fought him.

On an unrelated note, I feel like I'm getting out of my slump with Marth. I had kinda plateued with him over the summer and couldn't figure out how to improve, but recently I've just been playing much better with him. Much like Zelda I've been finding ways to use moves that previously were useless for me. My Jigglypuff is surprisingly not completely terrible either, even though I only use her when I'm bored.

I've been seeing more Zelda's in FG also. I think there has been a slight upsurge after nairo 2 stocking dabuzs Pikachu in a recent tourney

Dks also I've seen an upsurge. And given I always change opponents after one match it's easy to notice these.

Edit.

Zelda and DK are in the new s-tier. Aka struggle tier.

It's either a struggle playing them or a struggle fighting them

Oidisco

I've been seeing more Zelda's in FG also. I think there has been a slight upsurge after nairo 2 stocking dabuzs Pikachu in a recent tourney

Dks also I've seen an upsurge. And given I always change opponents after one match it's easy to notice these.

Edit.

Zelda and DK are in the new s-tier. Aka struggle tier.

It's either a struggle playing them or a struggle fighting them

Yea DK can be really rough against Zelda if the DK player know what they're doing. Thankfully his new cargothrow upair combo isn't guaranteed on Zelda since she's light and floaty, otherwise that matchup would be a nightmare.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Somebody help me.

Picking up Zelda because I have weird fascination with Din's Flare.

Why do I play all the bad characters?

:(

I was watching this custom DK destroying a Sheik in some random video on vgbootcamp and it was beautiful. Made me even more disappointed customs are not usable online.

Well, you could enter those 1v1 Custom Glory tournies they offer in Tourney Mode. They allow for custom moves...

...and equipment.

:D

D:

Seriously this game is awesome, but some of the design choices... Why isn't there an option to allow only customs but no equipment? Or better, why are equipment a thing?

Because Sakurai's idea wasn't just "custom specials", it was "custom characters". He wanted equipment to be used with custom moves and basically sees them as the same thing, basically. When finding a custom part, most of the time it's just gonna be an equipment badge.

Dr. Buni

Because Sakurai's idea wasn't just "custom specials", it was "custom characters". He wanted equipment to be used with custom moves and basically sees them as the same thing, basically. When finding a custom part, most of the time it's just gonna be an equipment badge.
Yes, but having the option to allow only custom specials wouldn't ruin his idea of custom characters, would it? Then again Samurai develops the game as a party game first and as fighting game last, so those crazy things he does are understandable.

Top Bottom