• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Cronox

Banned
Anyone know of a video guide for air dodge catching and instantly throwing items? I feel like I came across one a while ago but I don't remember the terms used. I know it's simple enough, but because I have no way to practice it I'd like to see it done a few times.

Pressing more buttons isn't really putting in more effort when you don't even have to space your Fairs to make them safe.

If you wanna tell me Yoshi is more boring than Sheik I won't argue for a second, but between needles and Fair a patient Sheik can be just as effective as a patient Yoshi with a significantly greater margin of error. Nevermind the potential to go ham, start playing recklessly and still be incredibly safe.

If you get launched at higher %s Uair/vanish is a pure 50/50 because you can't airdodge Uair on reaction and vanish timing is perfect for punishing said airdodge. Needle/bouncing fish creates similar situations offstage. Neither option in either case is a risk for the Sheik player at all.

Doing lots of stuff isn't hard when every guess is heavily weighted in your favor and you can rack up damage safely without ever putting yourself in a situation where you have to guess anyway. It's just an execution barrier.

It's a combination of character tools and playstyle that makes Yoshi more frustrating than Sheik for me. Bowser is really susceptible to eggs (or maybe I just am), Yoshi's fair has generous range compared to Sheik's (and my issue is range, not general safeness), and Yoshi is heavy enough to be difficult to dispose of. Getting hit by the eggs Yoshi uses to recover just adds insult. My feeling when playing the match is it's just uphill the whole time. It's not empirical, it's just my feeling. If a Sheik messes up I can get mileage off her fast falling, if she panics and uses bouncing fish above me I have the run speed to cover the landing lag or set up for a usmash. Yoshi can just double jump out and float away with the highest air speed in the game while throwing eggs, making Yoshi the more slippery one IMO.

Bowser players have a special hatred for Yoshi because they are dinosaur twins separated at birth, and Bowser is Danny DeVito while Yoshi is Arnold.

Boney

Banned
I hate Yoshi, I think his fair to nair is completely obscene, but despite you elaborating on it Cronox, I just can't understand how you're so chill about Shiek. Obviously it's more about personal experience and everything, but dude, Shiek is gross

Cronox

Banned
I hate Yoshi, I think his fair to nair is completely obscene, but despite you elaborating on it Cronox, I just can't understand how you're so chill about Shiek. Obviously it's more about personal experience and everything, but dude, Shiek is gross

I can see why a Samus player would be more frustrated with Sheik since all of her specials can probably be punished with bouncing fish. For Bowser that just means I don't use flame breath, there are other characters (ZSS, Dedede) where flame breath is unsafe too so I'm accustomed to dropping it in various matchups. My gameplan is still the same - hard reads, punish poor spacing with grab or fortress, get as much mileage out of every vulnerable moment as possible. Eh, she may be safe but I don't consider her a dishonest or broken character like some others. If Sheik can short hop fast fall fair me across the stage I'm impressed. I can't do that consistently. They deserve their 20-25%, and if they can do it every time and follow up, anticipating my air dodge or lack of one and my DI, they deserve the bouncing fish at the end too. Cause if they screw it up you best believe I'll make up that damage real quick. I dunno, there's a certain feeling I get, a tightness in my chest when I feel helpless -like when a teacher erases their notes off the whiteboard before I've finished copying them- I don't feel it with Sheik that much. And when I do, it's cause I'm playing the best Sheik on the west coast and he's a way better player than me - that's not on Sheik, plenty of great players have made me feel helpless.

You can't pick your opponents, though. :p

Who are you playing? I can give you a few tips.

I think you misunderstood what I said. By this game, I meant Smash, and not Street Fighter.

I tried Cammy, and I don't like her. I went to Ryu and was able to do like 40% of a lifebar each round! I played 3 matches, it would've been 5, but I apparently lost my connection to two people. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I was pretty much on the defensive the whole time. I would guard, and when I tried to attack after blocking their combo, they would hit me before I could attack.

I think you misunderstood what I said. By this game, I meant Smash, and not Street Fighter.

I tried Cammy, and I don't like her. I went to Ryu and was able to do like 40% of a lifebar each round! I played 3 matches, it would've been 5, but I apparently lost my connection to two people. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I was pretty much on the defensive the whole time. I would guard, and when I tried to attack after blocking their combo, they would hit me before I could attack.
You should play a character in Smash that takes some thought for a change. It will carry over into other fighting games. ;-)

SoldnerKei

A bad practice for SF that I got from Smash is approaching on neutral game with aerials, I know, not the brightest idea.

Cammy is quite fun, I love combo her Super with V-trigger Spiral Arrow... thou you can even combo the damn thing in more practical ways :v

I tried Cammy, and I don't like her.

You didn't try hard enough!! j/k

I guess I have a thing with blond people wearing green huh
ignore the fact I use Dark Link color

Since a few weeks ago. Only 168 battles with him so far, but I have had some close games with Shamrock, and I can win against others.

Yeah, Luigi is catching up fast with his 1135 battles.

You're catching up to my ~350 battles with Falco, I better step it up! D:

Falco is still my second most-used character on the Wii U behind Fox.

Dr. Mario is just a placebo.

Okay, so I lied. It wasn't ~350.

It was 443.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01a5jhl.jpg

Wut. You hardly play.

The lion's share of the Mac and Falcon came from my little bro mind you.

I'd also like to take this time to inform you of the fact that I had been playing Melee before this game came out, and while I wasn't even average at that game I had developed some solid fundamentals thanks to the relentless pace of battle featured in it.

What really surprises me is just how many matches others wrack up on here. I mean, I'm a college student who's got a social life to manage so I'm not exactly spending every waking moment playing Smash, but I honestly wonder whether you guys spend all your free time on FG when you're not playing someone here. >.>;;; Though I can understand Namikaze, unless Canadian high school does something different than American schools...

To offer another fact, I have ~700 battles on For Glory mode.

I'd also like to take this time to inform you of the fact that I had been playing Melee before this game came out, and while I wasn't even average at that game I had developed some solid fundamentals thanks to the relentless pace of battle featured in it.

What really surprises me is just how many matches others wrack up on here. I mean, I'm a college student who's got a social life to manage so I'm not exactly spending every waking moment playing Smash, but I honestly wonder whether you guys spend all your free time on FG when you're not playing someone here. >.>;;; Though I can understand Namikaze, unless Canadian high school does something different than American schools...

Oh, look at you with your "social life". We got a big shot over here.

High school was a joke. I put as much time as I did into Smash, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I still got a 94.83% average my final year.

I have 3831 battles in FG. 256:35 hours playing with friends, and 146:53 playing FG.

Oh, look at you with your "social life". We got a big shot over here.

High school was a joke. I put as much time as I did into Smash, along with a bunch of other stuff, and I still got a 94.83% average my final year.

Given my social life includes such cool activities as DnD and watching anime, you'd wonder how I could possibly brag about it.

Also my game's ticker went back to August 29 lol, what is going on.

I just meant that it seems like you have more posts made here than matches played in the game, lol.

Cronox

Banned
Well I'm embarrassed for everyone here, Karst who doesn't play the game anymore, CRQ who doesn't seem to play very much at all and Namikaze who plays way too much.

This is what a balanced player looks like:

You should all aspire to play Bowser as much as I do. Only in the way of Bowser can true equilibrium be found. Join me on the path to enlightenment brothers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxH7fPPggDQ

Had to upload this one...It's one of those weird matches where at the end you're like wtf.

Oh yeah, Canadian high schools are way different than american high schools. We start like 7:45 or 8:45

And I got a job and a side project, yet I still managed to racked up something like 4k FG battles >_>

WTF that guy was so bad is what I was thinking the entire time.

I didn't know you're Canadian. Or maybe you're not and are talking about American high schools? My school started at 8:15.

JulianImp

It's not as bad as I'd expect from LatAm. I'm an anticipatory player anyhow, so I can stick around. :)

Edit: Okay, maybe the input lag is hurting me more than I thought lol.

A general test for me is whether I can actually steer PK thunder properly, since it gets really bad with enough input lag. At least from that test I didn't have any problems, but it's true that we're losing out on a couple valuable frames to properly react to stuff.

WTF that guy was so bad is what I was thinking the entire time.

I didn't know you're Canadian. Or maybe you're not and are talking about American high schools? My school started at 8:15.

I'm Canadian. So that's within the acceptable normal timeframe.

Unlike American high schools start early.

What was up with that final KO? Did you do bad DI or did the stage just shrink its blastzones during the transition?

When it goes from stage to stage the blastzones shift, so I might've got caught by that.

Okay, time to stop because I can't play Fox like this. GGs Julian, you were good but it's hard to properly critique you with a few frames of lag in the way. :(

Top Bottom