• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

jnWake

This attitude irks me.
You know that the gameplay would grow out of proportions if all they did was buff?
Or look at it this way: A nerf is just buffing everything else.

Lol of course there's a limit but characters are short of ridiculous in this game. Sheik's needles definitely deserved the nerf but Corrin possible nerfs seem absurd. ZSS' ones are arguable too. I'd rather have them focus on making the bad characters good (more than they do now) instead of making the good characters worse.

So far with what's confirmed for Zelda

Jab buffed: 8% to 11%
Nair buffed: 11% front, 7% back to 15% front, 11% back
U-air buffed: 15% to 17%.

Still double checking on U-air, lots of conflicting reports. Many people are saying it has faster frame data and bigger hitbox.

PtM

Banned
Lol of course there's a limit but characters are short of ridiculous in this game. Sheik's needles definitely deserved the nerf but Corrin possible nerfs seem absurd. ZSS' ones are arguable too. I'd rather have them focus on making the bad characters good (more than they do now) instead of making the good characters worse.
Balancing entails both.

JulianImp

As for buffs:
  • Mewtwo got +2 weight (I think it was in the 70s range, like 74>76)
  • Greninja's grab (I think) got buffed by 3 frames (14>11)
  • Fixes to Samus' ftilt, nair and fsmash. Her fsmash supposedly no longer whiffs at close range!
  • A whole lot of buffs to Kirby (dsmash, usmash and all three hammers)
  • Ganondorf damage buffs to jab and downB
  • Robin got a faster nosferatu (1 frame) and higher kb on jabs
Pac grab deadzone fix when. I don't care if I get one of the worst grabs in the game with no useful throws, at least remove the chances of missing at point blank and eating a falcon punch in retaliation.

Also, Sheik got hit pretty hard with higher KB growth on her two combo throws, worsened nair, less range on her needles and -3 weight (84>81). I wonder how those things will affect her.

Man, MK got his uair damage lowered, launch angle changed and SDI multiplier nerfed from 1.0>1.5. That's probably going to make his bread-and-butter "I kill you at 40% because I'm MK" combo a lot harder to pull off reliably.

Amazing patch in every way. Apparently Sakurai had no idea ZSS and Metaknight had the kill combos off of their up B's until a recent tournament. The man needs to leave his house more often.

Does anyone want to be a gem and make a video of Mewtwo chasing an uncharged Shadowball from full screen now?

Amazing patch in every way. Apparently Sakurai had no idea ZSS and Metaknight had the kill combos off of their up B's until a recent tournament. The man needs to leave his house more often.

Does anyone want to be a gem and make a video of Mewtwo chasing an uncharged Shadowball from full screen now?
I got you when I get home b, though it will be a while. Unless someone wants to beat me to it? :3

JulianImp

Pac-Man buffs, woo! I wish they fixed his craptastic dair, but the slew of knockback gains on bair and his smashes gives him more KO potential, which is always welcome.

Meanwhile...
Jigglypuff --- No Changes 90%
RIP

FSLink

Banned
Mewtwo is likely very viable now (I thought he was before this patch too).

Even ESAM thinks he may be top 15. Mewtwo is feeling great.

jnWake

So after reading all the patch notes it seems it's a great one. I don't get why Corrin got a speed nerf though...

If a few more characters got buffed the game would be simply incredible IMO. Jiggly could use some love, Robin could get a speed buff (since those seem more common now!), Falco could get one too, at least for his air mobility.

I also love that Yoshi never gets touched, which is fair since he's pretty balanced despite what Smash GAF may say. I hope he gets a good side B in a future game though.

FSLink

Banned
So after reading all the patch notes it seems it's a great one. I don't get why Corrin got a speed nerf though...

If a few more characters got buffed the game would be simply incredible IMO. Jiggly could use some love, Robin could get a speed buff (since those seem more common now!), Falco could get one too, at least for his air mobility.

I also love that Yoshi never gets touched, which is fair since he's pretty balanced despite what Smash GAF may say. I hope he gets a good side B in a future game though.

Corrin's was to make Dragon Fang Shot followups harder. Otherwise the speed is barely noticable.

Robin is clearly designed to be without a speed buff. They already buffed Robin to have a dthrow -> uair combo that kills most characters at 80%.

Falco could use one though yeah. He can stay slow on the ground but his air mobility could be better.
Jigglypuff seems doomed to be the game's joke character without Pichu around.

jnWake

Corrin's was to make Dragon Fang Shot followups harder. Otherwise the speed is barely noticable.

Robin is clearly designed to be without a speed buff. They already buffed Robin to have a dthrow -> uair combo that kills most characters at 80%.

Falco could use one though yeah. He can stay slow on the ground but his air mobility could be better.
Jigglypuff seems doomed to be the game's joke character without Pichu around.

I guess that could make sense for Corrin but it feels weird making him/her slower than Ike...

I don't think a small speed buff would break Robin or anything. He's slower than Ganondorf lol.

entremet

I just got bodied by a really good Paluntena.

I have no match up experience with her since she's so rare. She has some wacky hitboxes on her aerials.

Fighting with with Samus is not much of a uphill battle anymore.....I'm so happy for her! ;_;

Mewtwo buffs are also amazing, his speed helps so much with pressuring now! I heard My main Lady Palutena got buffed......in what though?

Hey Karst, can you give me any mewtwo tips?
1) Learn to short hop into Shadow Ball.
2) If shield is ~half, Nair and Fair are often unblockable.
3) Dtilt is your only ground move worth using 99% of the time; combos to aerials.
4) Don't approach with Bair, it's purely an air-to-air.
5) Confusion doesn't lead to any combos.
6) Jab to Disable.
7) Short hop Fair can let you double jump into a second Fair before landing.
8) Nair is great for gimping, fast fall through them like a wall.
9) You can go under stages.
10) Use Confusion and Teleport when landing to trick up your opponent and stay safe.

NEO0MJ

Thanks for the tips! So after the first jab lands I can usually get confusion afterwards? Didn't know that. And how exactly do you mean I should use nair for gimping? Chase them off stage and use it while quickfalling?

entremet

I was messing around with Samus after hearing about her being fixed finally.

Holy heck she's much better!

I'm considering picking up for good. She's very fun to play as too.

jnWake

Zero's post patch analysis of Sheik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TacMTv3yTdU

He sounds salty.

I'd feel bad for him but Sheik was just way too good before the patch. A huge percentage of the cast gets nothing from throws at any percentage so I don't see it as a such a big deal. Sheik still has a ridiculous off-stage game that players will have to use more instead of that lame dThrow to uAir combo that won so many tourneys.

JulianImp

We were constantly talking about Sheik getting one of the best projectiles (multi-hit, hard to see, fast, long ranged, can be shot downwards for edgeguarding), those downright ridiculous grab setups and amazingly safe frame dat, on top of getting bouncing fish for this game. She really had all these nerfs coming, and I guess we'll have to see how tier lists shift now that some of the better characters got hit by the nerf hammer to varying degrees.

While I haven't played in quite a while, I'll probably be benching good old Bayo for a while so I can see how Pac has improved now that he has better KO power. I know have a better chance at beating some of you guys with Bayo or Cloud, but I'd really want to find a way to get Pac-Man to work more reliably for me, even if I won't be winning any tourneeys (that I won't be going to, anyway). His unique zoning game is something I didn't know I liked until I saw Abadango do some really cool stuff with him and decided to give him a try, and I've kind of been hooked on to Pac ever since since he's a better zoner than my subpar Duck Hunt, which I wanted to main really hard at the start until I got tired of their strange moveset and realized that cans aren't all that powerful when you start playing better opponents.

I'm not tier whore by any means. But they at least made her not garbage, which she was before.

I play a solidly B tier character (and that even depends on who you ask), so I'm certainly not a tier whore either. But I *really* don't want to make my already not stellar play even harder for me by playing a character that straight doesn't work haha.

I'll see what I can do with her sometime. I wonder if Turnip mentality will carry over at all.

leroidys

Running into a lot more Samuses online now, and man, it seems like she has waayyyy more options. I'm losing more to her now but don't really care, as I always fucking hated fighting samuses online that just camp one side of the stage and spam shit while they charge. So awful.

Played a good tlink online. The games were close, but this player was way better than me. The speed and length of toon link's tether grab out of shield is fucking nuts. No approach is safe with Lucas. Anyone have tips for this matchup?

Top Bottom