• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Oidisco

Kind of getting bored of FG mode. I don't think we'll ever get a smash game with proper match making..

I use it to practice new characters and that's pretty much it. When I want to actuallt have fun with the game, I'll play someone from Gaf or wherever.

Thulius

Alright, this'll be my last game.

GGs. Decent amount of latency between us but I guess that's to be expected with the distance. I should probably learn Pac-Man's different item sets because changing up that custom between rounds was throwing me off like crazy.

Beats

Kind of getting bored of FG mode. I don't think we'll ever get a smash game with proper match making..

I don't remember the last time I played For Glory. Playing on only Final Destination type stages just wasn't as fun as playing on a varied assortment of stages/battlefield.

JulianImp

Alright, this'll be my last game.

Good games. Your Mewtwo and Greninja were really nasty, and it doesn't help that I'm not all that used to playing against those characters, so not even switching to the characters I have more experience with managed to give me that much of an edge.

Apologies for the one-day delay, but the SmashGAF Character Census complete results and miscellaneous data are coming shortly! Stay tuned!

EDIT: Oh fuck, I just realized I can't go back and copy-paste the HTML from my last results post because the thread is closed and I can't quote my post anymore. DAMMIT. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought...

Anyone want to play?

I just got the power saves for 3DS. Does it replace my save file or just add to it like an action replay? I want to get customs on my 3DS Smash.

Apologies for the one-day delay, but the SmashGAF Character Census complete results and miscellaneous data are coming shortly! Stay tuned!

EDIT: Oh fuck, I just realized I can't go back and copy-paste the HTML from my last results post because the thread is closed and I can't quote my post anymore. DAMMIT. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought...

Lets see how High WFT (pfft) and Palutena placed. Also curious about Sonic.

I made sure to use the "Fly Away!" taunt. My first day with DK against Karsticles was even funnier. Being able to die by being sent on a 70 degree angle to the roof is hilarious.
FYI, none of my deaths were entirely from the Cyclone Punch. When I died off the ceiling, it was because I was using Confusion to recover when you did it, and wind moves seem to have a multiplicative effect on moves you are using to influence your trajectory. Still funny stuff, but I don't want you to have an inaccurate image of what that move can do on its own.

Who are these characters? No other bait and punish character has the same rewards as Meta Knight. Falcon is the closest, but MK has the luxury of being able to reset to neutral easily and having one of the best edgeguarding, if not the best.

Look up Ito.
Bait and punish is just a sad playstyle in general in this game, because plenty of characters have nothing to bait.

Lobbies are coming, though. That will help.

PM a mod. They might help you out.

Oidisco

That was a little better, but still a bit laggy.

ok that was really bad. Maybe one more and if it's still bad, we'll just call it quits then.

I wanna smash so bad, but friggin everyone decided they gotta use the Wii U for something and I'm left in the dust. :( I should probably look for my 3DS and play on that...

Masked Man

I said wow
So Daddy Sakurai is breaking down the details of this next update right before it goes live, which leads me to believe there's a lot more included than just Lucas/Splatoon costumes/Miiverse Stage. My guess is we're finally getting Tournament mode, and the first "official" tournament goes live after the Smash Direct.

JulianImp

And I'll keep getting shafted due to my geographical location. While my connection is decent against some of you guys, the reason I've given up on ranbats and 2v2 tournaments is that, on average, I won't have a good enough connection against most opponents who aren't part of South America GAF.

Still, I love being able to play against yo guys, since it's quite a big difference from playing randoms in For Glory and hoping that they're both good and stay around for a couple of matches.

And I'll keep getting shafted due to my geographical location. While my connection is decent against some of you guys, the reason I've given up on ranbats and 2v2 tournaments is that, on average, I won't have a good enough connection against most opponents who aren't part of South America GAF.

Still, I love being able to play against yo guys, since it's quite a big difference from playing randoms in For Glory and hoping that they're both good and stay around for a couple of matches.

Is it that bad for you? You wired? :(

FYI, none of my deaths were entirely from the Cyclone Punch. When I died off the ceiling, it was because I was using Confusion to recover when you did it, and wind moves seem to have a multiplicative effect on moves you are using to influence your trajectory. Still funny stuff, but I don't want you to have an inaccurate image of what that move can do on its own.

Bait and punish is just a sad playstyle in general in this game, because plenty of characters have nothing to bait.

Lobbies are coming, though. That will help.

PM a mod. They might help you out.

I know. But I can still get horizontal kills from the punch alone and that is always funny.

GGs. I guess something was different from earlier.

How the fuck do I get out of PK Fire? I should not be losing to this Ness on FG.
DI.

I am in Colorado. Others here from South America have great connections with me. Want to give it a shot in a bit?

SmashGAF Character Census 2015 - Total Results + Miscellaneous Data

Total Results

ness.png
- 102 points [24 mains/10 secondaries/10 tertiaries]
shulk.png
- 100 points [17/19/11]
captain_falcon.png
- 94 points [18/11/18]
lucina.png
- 78 points [12/16/10]
robin.png
- 71 points [12/12/11]
zero_suit_samus.png
- 67 points [13/11/6]
pikachu.png
- 63 points [7/17/8]
yoshi.png
- 62 points [14/7/6]
ganondorf.png
- 57 points [7/12/12]
king_dedede.png
- 56 points [10/9/8]
little_mac.png
mega_man.png
- 52 points [10/7/8, 7/7/17]
link.png
peach.png
- 50 points [9/7/9, 9/9/5]
jigglypuff.png
- 48 points [9/8/5]
bowser.png
- 47 points [9/6/8]
mario.png
toon_link.png
- 46 points [9/7/5, 8/7/8]
bowser_jr.png
- 45 points [7/9/6]
ike.png
pac_man.png
- 43 points [6/7/11, 6/10/5]
marth.png
sheik.png
- 42 points [7/5/11, 5/12/3]
duck_hunt.png
greninja.png
- 41 points [6/9/5, 6/7/9]
villager.png
- 40 points [8/6/4]
sonic.png
- 39 points [9/3/6]
wii_fit_trainer.png
- 36 points [6/6/6]
rosalina_and_luma.png
- 34 points [6/5/6]
mewtwo.png
- 33 points [4/4/13]
palutena.png
zelda.png
- 29 points [5/5/4, 5/3/8]
luigi.png
- 28 points [6/4/2]
falco.png
- 27 points [4/6/3]
kirby.png
- 24 points [4/3/6]
mr_game_and_watch.png
- 22 points [4/2/6]
donkey_kong.png
dr_mario.png
- 21 points [1/6/6, 3/4/4]
rob.png
- 20 points [2/5/4]
wario.png
- 19 points [3/3/4]
fox.png
- 17 points [3/2/4]
lucario.png
- 15 points [0/6/3]
charizard.png
dark_pit.png
meta_knight.png
samus.png
- 14 points [1/2/7, 2/2/4, 3/2/1, 0/5/4]
olimar.png
- 13 points [3/1/2]
pit.png
- 9 points [0/3/3]
mii_swordfighter.png
- 7 points [1/0/2]
diddy_kong.png
- 5 points [1/1/0]
mii_brawler.png
- 4 points [0/1/2]
mii_gunner.png
- 0 points [0/0/0]

Miscellaneous Data

Total responses: 345
Total eligible responses: 331 (14 were disqualified due to being from non-GAF members)
Usernames accompanying invalid responses: NamikazeBurst [1st response], timrtabor123, DJKirsch, I don't have one!, Valahart, IamthebigG, Derpy Beetle, no account (lurker), forta, Mazzoman, yomama69dw/me, dont have a gaf, Lurker with no account, Big_Noze

Disqualified Points

The following data shows which characters lost points due to some of their apparent usage coming from non-GAF members. I'm including this for the sake of completeness, but it could give you a general idea of who could have placed higher had some of the responses including them not been invalidated!

In general, Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac would almost certainly have placed higher, Pac-Man, Robin and Toon Link might have placed higher, and Ness would have solidified his lead over Shulk a bit more...

Bowser: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Captain Falcon: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Dark Pit: 3 (1 ineligible main)
Donkey Kong: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Duck Hunt: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Ganondorf: 3 (1 ineligible main)
Greninja: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Jigglypuff: 3 (1 ineligible main)
King Dedede: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Link: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Little Mac: 7 (2 ineligible mains, 1 ineligible tertiary)
Lucina: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Luigi: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Mario: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Marth: 2 (2 ineligible tertiaries)
Mega Man: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Meta Knight: 3 (1 ineligible main)
Mewtwo: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Mii Brawler: 3 (1 ineligible main)
Ness: 4 (1 ineligible main, 1 ineligible tertiary)
Pac-Man: 5 (1 ineligible main, 1 ineligible secondary)
Palutena: 3 (1 ineligible main)
Peach: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
R.O.B.: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Robin: 4 (1 ineligible main, 1 ineligible tertiary)
Rosalina & Luma: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Sheik: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Toon Link: 4 (2 ineligible secondaries)
Villager: 1 (1 ineligible tertiary)
Wario: 2 (1 ineligible secondary)
Wii Fit Trainer: 8 (2 ineligible mains, 2 ineligible tertiaries)
Yoshi: 3 (1 ineligible main)

I think that's about all, folks! Looking forward to doing this again next year with Lucas, Ryu, and whoever else in the mix!

JulianImp

DI.

I am in Colorado. Others here from South America have great connections with me. Want to give it a shot in a bit?

I'm kind of beat, so no more smashing for me today. Maybe tomorrow?

I do remember playing you once a long time ago and we had awful lag, but maybe things are better now that I got my internet speed upgraded (I used to have 30kbps up speeds, for crying out loud).

Is it that bad for you? You wired? :(

Yeah, I made sure to get an USB ethernet adapter while in Japan exactly for this kind of thing.

The lag mostly depends on who I play. Sometimes I get just a tiny bit of input lag, but at other times it becomes noticeable enough that it makes playing a chore (and fosters awful decisions such as roll spamming). I'd say my ultimate lag checker is trying out Ness' PK Thunder, because the way it steers when under bad enough lag makes it obvious that I shouldn't be playing.

2v2s are where I have to tread the most carefully, since the input lag from each other player adds up quickly. Still, I've been able to play against Snacks, Nami and others in 2v2s without too much lag as of late, so I guess there's still a chance.

WFT was not that low......huh. ive only played one other WFT here and I dont even remember who it was. Yay.

Edit: thanks for the fun Ash, pretty interesting listing.

Yeah, I made sure to get an USB ethernet adapter while in Japan exactly for this kind of thing.

The lag mostly depends on who I play. Sometimes I get just a tiny bit of input lag, but at other times it becomes noticeable enough that it makes playing a chore (and fosters awful decisions such as roll spamming). I'd say my ultimate lag checker is trying out Ness' PK Thunder, because the way it steers when under bad enough lag makes it obvious that I shouldn't be playing.

2v2s are where I have to tread the most carefully, since the input lag from each other player adds up quickly. Still, I've been able to play against Snacks, Nami and others in 2v2s without too much lag as of late, so I guess there's still a chance.

Wow....I bought the lan adapter (got it today) in hopes of playing 2v2. Now you have me worried that I wasted money. D:

JulianImp

I am missing the other half of this conversation.

Greninja, obviously.

That being said, I'm wondering what new changes we'll get when the Lucas patch hits. I was thinking:
  • Luigi: Some nerf... maybe increased knockback on fair or increased knockback scaling on dthrow (last patch all he got was a 1% damage reduction on sourspot fireballs, which was a bit of a joke)
  • DK: Dongbending effectiveness reduced (no super armor, lowered wind strength or both)
  • Sheik: Slightly increased landing lag on some aerials & up B
  • Mewtwo: Grab, jab hitboxes enlarged. Added weak dmash hitbox that can hit slightly behind Mewtwo
  • Ness: Upgraded travel distance, speed and/or recovery on Lucas-style PK fire. Rolling PK Thunder given infinite priority (because come on, it's crap right now)
  • Pac-Man: Increased shield damage on some fruit (melons? cherries?), regular hydrant shoots three blasts of water before disappearing, crazy fruits key lingers in place a lot longer, crazy fruits bell stuns (maybe less than the regular one), dair hits pull opponents towards the next hit more (right now they nearly leave opponents in place), reduced grab cooldown OR increased grab range
  • All over the board: Jab combos less likely to whiff (looking at you, Samus)

Greninja, obviously.

That being said, I'm wondering what new changes we'll get when the Lucas patch hits. I was thinking:
  • Luigi: Some nerf... maybe increased knockback on fair or increased knockback scaling on dthrow (last patch all he got was a 1% damage reduction on sourspot fireballs, which was a bit of a joke)
  • DK: Dongbending effectiveness reduced (no super armor, lowered wind strength or both)
  • Sheik: Slightly increased landing lag on some aerials & up B
  • Mewtwo: Grab, jab hitboxes enlarged. Added weak dmash hitbox that can hit slightly behind Mewtwo
  • Ness: Upgraded travel distance, speed and/or recovery on Lucas-style PK fire. Rolling PK Thunder given infinite priority (because come on, it's crap right now)
  • Pac-Man: Increased shield damage on some fruit (melons? cherries?), regular hydrant shoots three blasts of water before disappearing, crazy fruits key lingers in place a lot longer, crazy fruits bell stuns (maybe less than the regular one), dair hits pull opponents towards the next hit more (right now they nearly leave opponents in place), reduced grab cooldown OR increased grab range
  • All over the board: Jab combos less likely to whiff (looking at you, Samus)
Most likely, none of this. :p

I feel like Luigi is pretty fair. Not sure he needs a nerf.

Priority is based on % damage. More priority would entail a damage buff.

Top Bottom