• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

JulianImp

Most likely, none of this. :p

I feel like Luigi is pretty fair. Not sure he needs a nerf.

Priority is based on % damage. More priority would entail a damage buff.

I know, it was just a wishlist, since I guess they don't even care about customs. The Pac-Man grab/dair buufs need to happen, though, since those two points feel particularily bad about him, especially the grab, which is bad enough that using it doesn't feel like an option at all, and makes mix-ups harder when his viable options are all about hitting shields with attacks.

Even with increased PKT damage, I don't think it'd be all that broken. It's slow as a snail and doesn't offer enough incentives for you to drop the regular PKT, which is an amazing harassing tool.

Oidisco

There are only 2 buffs I want.

Reduce Marth's landing lag off all aerials
Allow Zelda to hold Phantom Slash charge

Just give that to me Sakurai, please!

All other characters can go to hell, just gimme dat shit!

Oidisco

I don't like Luigi in this game. Smash attacks are too safe, gets huge mileage out of every grab, fireballs are basically impenetrable.

Who can play?

Using Marth against a good Luigi is definitely one of the more frustating matchups for me. I have been able to win, but it's been through messing up their recovery while they're at low percents and taking an early stock. Not exactly an easy thing to do!

jnWake

And I'll keep getting shafted due to my geographical location. While my connection is decent against some of you guys, the reason I've given up on ranbats and 2v2 tournaments is that, on average, I won't have a good enough connection against most opponents who aren't part of South America GAF.

Still, I love being able to play against yo guys, since it's quite a big difference from playing randoms in For Glory and hoping that they're both good and stay around for a couple of matches.

We need to make a South America Smash GAF haha. I can only play against Boney without lag and I guess I could also play you decently.

There are only 2 buffs I want.

Reduce Marth's landing lag off all aerials
Allow Zelda to hold Phantom Slash charge

Just give that to me Sakurai, please!

All other characters can go to hell, just gimme dat shit!

Zelda would love a Din's Fire buff too, like not sending you to helpless state after using it in the air. It's not that good of a move to be so risky haha.

JulianImp

He's OP in Mario 2 (and mario all stars lost levels) though....

Oh, okay. I take back my statement then.
Not

Sersiously, this is the first time since Smash64 where his dash attack doesn't amount to something you only do by mistake and gets you punished for free, even on hit.

That reminds me how 64 just used the Mario 64 voice clips with a higher pitch for Luigi, and they did that again in Melee (seriously, why?). Now that I think about it, Melee had other old samples picked up from N64 games as well, such as Link's (and maybe Zelda/Sheik's and Ganondorf's?).

Oidisco

We need to make a South America Smash GAF haha. I can only play against Boney without lag and I guess I could also play you decently.

Zelda would love a Din's Fire buff too, like not sending you to helpless state after using it in the air. It's not that good of a move to be so risky haha.

Yea for sure. I've thought for a long while that Din's Fire would function better as a mine/trap rather than a projectile. Hell even giving the small flame a hitbox that causes minor damage would be a nice improvement.

I don't like Luigi in this game. Smash attacks are too safe, gets huge mileage out of every grab, fireballs are basically impenetrable.

Who can play?
He has weak range, though.

Project M's Din's Fire not being the one actually used in the official Smash games makes me sad =(
I would definitely main Zelda if I had 360 degree control over it and could leave it as a landmine.

TWILT

Banned
Good games as always, Beats! We played for quite a while, haha. Your Zamus is good as always; hard for me to land with Shulk against her. I do recommend not overcommiting to a grab too often. There were quite a few times where you would use paralyzer and I would counter it, and you got hit by the counter because you kept going for grab afterwards. Projectiles don't force the opponent to slow down to Vision, so you could just roll around/away/spot dodge it. Vision lasts for so damn long lol; I'd recommend going for grabs when you see me attempting to counter instead of trying to wait for to cool off and hit me.

Your Alph was hard to get in with my Pikachu. I thought the matches were pretty even here. Definitely try and keep my Pikachu out; sometimes I get too impatient and rushdown only to land right into an FSmash lol. Super hard to edgeguard the guy too even with Pikachu; damn flying Pikmin. Fun matches as always, man!

Oidisco

I think I'm gonna just give up on using ZSS in For Glory until I get better with her. I can't deal with people who roll spam like I can with pretty much everyone else, and it's super frustrating!

I'll just have to practice her with all of ye until I'm good with her!

FSLink

Banned
Greninja, obviously.

That being said, I'm wondering what new changes we'll get when the Lucas patch hits. I was thinking:
  • Luigi: Some nerf... maybe increased knockback on fair or increased knockback scaling on dthrow (last patch all he got was a 1% damage reduction on sourspot fireballs, which was a bit of a joke)
  • DK: Dongbending effectiveness reduced (no super armor, lowered wind strength or both)
  • Sheik: Slightly increased landing lag on some aerials & up B
  • Mewtwo: Grab, jab hitboxes enlarged. Added weak dmash hitbox that can hit slightly behind Mewtwo
  • Ness: Upgraded travel distance, speed and/or recovery on Lucas-style PK fire. Rolling PK Thunder given infinite priority (because come on, it's crap right now)
  • Pac-Man: Increased shield damage on some fruit (melons? cherries?), regular hydrant shoots three blasts of water before disappearing, crazy fruits key lingers in place a lot longer, crazy fruits bell stuns (maybe less than the regular one), dair hits pull opponents towards the next hit more (right now they nearly leave opponents in place), reduced grab cooldown OR increased grab range
  • All over the board: Jab combos less likely to whiff (looking at you, Samus)

Rolling PK Thunder is still pretty good right now, and Samus's Jab "combo" whiffing is intentional. Mewtwo's dsmash not having a hitbox behind him is intentional. EVERY dsmash that hits on one side is always safe on block in this game.

If I were to make some conservative changes:
Sheik: Nerf needles or fair slightly
Robin: Increase run speed
Link: Bring back Jab cancel or at least make it faster than it is now (it's too nerfed)
DK: Reduce windbox on Kong Cyclone slightly
Mewtwo: Fix hitboxes on smashes
Zelda: Increase run speed and make Din's Fire not put her into free fall when used in the air.

Beats

Good games as always, Beats! We played for quite a while, haha. Your Zamus is good as always; hard for me to land with Shulk against her. I do recommend not overcommiting to a grab too often. There were quite a few times where you would use paralyzer and I would counter it, and you got hit by the counter because you kept going for grab afterwards. Projectiles don't force the opponent to slow down to Vision, so you could just roll around/away/spot dodge it. Vision lasts for so damn long lol; I'd recommend going for grabs when you see me attempting to counter instead of trying to wait for to cool off and hit me.

Your Alph was hard to get in with my Pikachu. I thought the matches were pretty even here. Definitely try and keep my Pikachu out; sometimes I get too impatient and rushdown only to land right into an FSmash lol. Super hard to edgeguard the guy too even with Pikachu; damn flying Pikmin. Fun matches as always, man!

Good games! I don't think there was a match longer than three minutes out of all of the ones we played lol. Yeah I forgot about the counter a couple of times, so I preemptively went for grabs after the paralyzer shot. I dunno what to do about that custom air slash though especially when you do it out of shield. It's what I would imagine if Vergil had a dragon punch. I probably should have went for grabs when I saw the counter coming instead of waiting for it to cooldown, but I kinda wanted to see how long it lasted lol.

I found it hard to land with Alph against Pikachu. I think the safest place for me to land if there aren't any platforms is the edge in this matchup. You can jump out of the re-grab setup by the way : p. If I know you're going to jump then I can up-air, but it's better than taking 3 grab > fair combos.

Top Bottom