• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember one rumor I read said there'd be Golfer from NES Golf as a character. Now I sort of want a "sports" character in, either someone based off a classic NES Sports game, or Wave Race/1080. Guess WFT sort of fills that niche. Too bad there's no Mii based off Wii Sports.

Anyway, if Ice Climbers are cut, maybe we'll get their music on Balloon Fight since Balloon Fight was always represented on Ice Climber levels.

johnbone

Question: When was Bowser's yellow skin design first introduced? Did that come about in SMB3? I think he was green-on-green before then, right?

His current design is just so good that it's interesting to think how he changed over the years.

He went to yellow skin in SM3, than back to green in SMW, and then back to yellow again in 64

Also, thinking about it, we've heard very little about Smash online, haven't we?

We know there's For Glory and For Fun, we know it uses the NNID on Wii U, and there's some background moderation going on. That's sort of it.

We don't know anything about whether there will be voice chat, whether multiple people on one system can play online together, if any more modes are online besides just normal melee, if there's an invite system, a party lobby, etc.

Neiteio

Sure, if you incorrectly think Bowser is his father.

Shocking truth, the Koopalings may not even be related to each other let alone Bowser!
I subscribe to the instruction book page that says they're his kids, posted at the top of this page (or at the top of the last page if you're in 50-post mode, in which case, get on my level!).

I refuse to give Miyamoto the same power that allowed George Lucas to de-canonize the expanded Star Wars universe. Mario lore is sacred!

But isn't that a good thing? Not every character in Smash needs to be instantly recognizable.

And, while it's much more pronounced on Ice Climbers, probably due to their age, other characters like Ness were also obscure.

It can be. I love Ice Climbers in Smash Bros because they were brought back. I think they're great in that game. But Ice Climbers for the NES wasn't fun, I only went and played it because of Smash and I'm not fond of it.

Obscure characters are worth bringing to the surface or paying homage to when they deserve it. We can only argue Ice Climbers ever deserved it now because they've been in Smash, but had they never been in Smash no one would ever care because their game wasn't very good. Earthbound deserves it, it's a cult classic.

So in this case I'm specifically only responding to the idea of them being great NES era representatives. For the purpose of representing the NES they are terrible, because they're from a bad game no one remembers. Duck Hunt Dog fits that purpose far better.

But now that they've been in Smash, as Smash Bros characters they deserve to stick around, not as NES reps.

shaowebb

All I know is if I can give Ganondorf a "come at me bro" counter like Clark from KoF using custom moveset moves then all is lost for folks.

I'm not implying that at all... it's just that... where would one FIND such mario stories?

Are you talking about the nintendo-approved mario storybooks? They're not fanfiction, but they're not Canon either, same with the show/movie/etc.

I guess... I didn't have internet to read when i was playing mario as a kid? I'd honestly never thing to track down or look up 'stories written about mario.'

Zelda maybe, but mario?

There was a site called Lemmy's Land which from about '99-'08 was the place for Mario content. It was a huge emporium for Mario fanfic, fanart, comics, game reviews and walkthroughs, and a music collection second only to vgmusic[.]com . There was some real great stuff there (there are one or two fanfics whose quality still impresses today.) It's been defunct for a few years now, but I spent many, many hours there as a kid.

Zubz

Banned
Haha I think he'll be more NSMB focused, but that'd be great, and so annoying lol.

"Papa, why can't I fight Wario? I want to show Momma proud!"

"Son, you're ruining my vacation!"

I'd go for Sunshine Bowser as an alternate voice pack... If this game even has those (Which I doubt, but am cool with).

georly

Maybe Bowser's full name is Morton Bowser Koopa :p

The name's Koopa, Morton B. Koopa... but you can call me "Bowser."

There was a site called Lemmy's Land which from about '99-'08 was the place for Mario content. It was a huge emporium for Mario fanfic, fanart, comics, game reviews and walkthroughs, and a music collection second only to vgmusic[.]com . There was some real great stuff there (there are one or two fanfics whose quality still impresses today.) It's been defunct for a few years now, but I spent many, many hours there as a kid.

The thought would have never crossed my mind, but I went the first decade of my life not even knowing the internet existed.

Neiteio

Also, thinking about it, we've heard very little about Smash online, haven't we?

We know there's For Glory and For Fun, we know it uses the NNID on Wii U, and there's some background moderation going on. That's sort of it.

We don't know anything about whether there will be voice chat, whether multiple people on one system can play online together, if any more modes are online besides just normal melee, if there's an invite system, a party lobby, etc.
Oh man, I'd love the ability for two people on the same system to challenge two others online, like in Mario Strikers Charged. This would be amazing for team matches, keeping peace in the household as everyone teams up against strangers online.

Plus, GAF could break up into buddy cop teams. Who will be the Jackie Chan to my Chris Tucker?!

Adopted children are still your children.
But they're also someone else's first, so it doesn't really count.

Also, I don't know why so many people are upset about Bowsers Minions. Bowser having any children is already confusing, especially since Sunshine specifically brought up the issue and never answered it haha.

Considering Bowser Jr looks identical to Baby Bowser, maybe he's a clone created using dark magic from Kamek

Or maybe it's a children's video game and it doesn't really matter who his mother is :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So let me get this straight, your inside source is saying that the roster isn't finished, & that none of the known leakers know?

No, no. He's saying that all information that we know from the leaks is pretty much same thing with what they already know. They don't know if it's completed roster or not. They don't know if we are getting more characters or not. He was trying to tell everyone that those people were lying about dlc characters and extra characters.

Zubz

Banned
That's how birds reproduce... seriously.

As are many amphibians and reptiles, actually! Although technically it's called a cloaca.

Please don't tell me we're onto something here...

But anyway, I know we're all in arms about Dark Pit, but out of curiosity, will the Staff be enough to differentiate him from Pit's silhouette? Even if they play differently, I'm not sure if he'll look different enough from Pit at a glance.

Neiteio

Just a hunch, but maybe Nintendo doesn't really think about the sexual or asexual reproduction of cartoon characters

*meanwhile, at Nintendo, a frustrated Japanese employee slumps over on his desk*

*pinned to his monitor, a Post-It: "How does Mr. Game & Watch reproduce? Have report on my desk by Friday. ~ Shiggy"*

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All that came after Smash Bros. It very well could be those callbacks wouldn't exist without them being popular from Smash.
Hard to say with Wario Ware since that referenced stuff Smash Brothers hasn't even mentioned, like Nintendo's old toys.

I subscribe to the instruction book page that says they're his kids, posted at the top of this page (or at the top of the last page if you're in 50-post mode, in which case, get on my level!).

I refuse to give Miyamoto the same power that allowed George Lucas to de-canonize the expanded Star Wars universe. Mario lore is sacred!
You still believe Mario was born in Brooklyn don't you? NoA's word isn't gospel, but if you're going to argue it is then you'll also have to accept that real men use items and that C-stickers should go home.

Something I spied on Something Awful:

ThisIsACoolGuy said:
4chan just found out that MOTHER FUCKING LEAKER is a fraud and lied about Ridley and all that and are now posting his personal information for "fucking with them and lying about the last five spots"

Remind me to never joke if I get my hands on a early screenshot :stare:
Guess that's backfiring on MFL quite spectacularly?

Just a hunch, but maybe Nintendo doesn't really think about the sexual or asexual reproduction of cartoon characters

*meanwhile, at Nintendo, a frustrated Japanese employee slumps over on his desk*

*pinned to his monitor, a Post-It: "How does Mr. Game & Watch reproduce? Have report on my desk by Friday. ~ Shiggy"
Lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

*pinned to his monitor, a Post-It: "How does Mr. Game & Watch reproduce? Have report on my desk by Friday. ~ Shiggy"
Considering babies just spawn into existence in Tomodachi Life, that may be accurate!

As are many amphibians and reptiles, actually! Although technically it's called a cloaca.

Please don't tell me we're onto something here...

But anyway, I know we're all in arms about Dark Pit, but out of curiosity, will the Staff be enough to differentiate him from Pit's silhouette? Even if they play differently, I'm not sure if he'll look different enough from Pit at a glance.
Yeah, I'm sure Bowser has a cloaca, especially since he's basically an overgrown snapping turtle (dat reduced plastron). He still needs a mate to have kids though, unless Jr is some science experiment gone wrong.

*pinned to his monitor, a Post-It: "How does Mr. Game & Watch reproduce? Have report on my desk by Friday. ~ Shiggy"*
But they do! It's a major unresolved plot point of Sunshine!

Ryce

Why are so many people hung up on silhouettes? Why does that matter? Smash Bros. allows for mirror matches, so why can't two separate characters look similar to each other?

maxcriden

Morton might be Bowser's legal name, and Bowser is just his criminal kingpin moniker

Morton is named after famed talk show host and singer-songwriter Morton Downey Jr. This is the reason for the "Jr." at the end of his name, which was a point of confusion when he was first introduced as one of Bowser's children. No in-universe explanation of his name was provided at the time, however the editors of the magazine Nintendo Power once claimed that when they asked Bowser why Morton Koopa was called "Jr.", he denied having any sons, then pelted them with Bob-ombs until they were gone.

Source: http://www.mariowiki.com/Morton

I love how Bowser Jr is just a one for one copy of Baby Bowser except for his bandana.

For the longest time I didn't think about it much and just confused them.

Actually, I'll the info I've heard said it was a NoA employee.

I have any inside source, if you mean you do have one. I'm just going based off the concrete evidence of what the links themselves consisted of.

You still believe Mario was born in Brooklyn don't you? NoA's word isn't gospel, but if you're going to argue it is then you'll also have to accept that real men use items and that C-stickers should go home.

The Japanese Mario 3 manual refers to them as siblings, and as Bowser's children.

emb

It can be. I love Ice Climbers in Smash Bros because they were brought back. I think they're great in that game. But Ice Climbers for the NES wasn't fun, I only went and played it because of Smash and I'm not fond of it.

Obscure characters are worth bringing to the surface or paying homage to when they deserve it. We can only argue Ice Climbers ever deserved it now because they've been in Smash, but had they never been in Smash no one would ever care because their game wasn't very good. Earthbound deserves it, it's a cult classic.

So in this case I'm specifically only responding to the idea of them being great NES era representatives. For the purpose of representing the NES they are terrible, because they're from a bad game no one remembers. Duck Hunt Dog fits that purpose far better.

But now that they've been in Smash, as Smash Bros characters they deserve to stick around, not as NES reps.
I wish they had gotten a proper revival after their excellent Smash appearance. I'm not fond of the original game either, but mountain climb/vertical platforming is a cool enough concept to be worth revisiting and doing better.

Why are so many people hung up on silhouettes? Why does that matter? Smash Bros. allows for mirror matches, so why can't two separate characters look similar to each other?

Yea, color is more important imo, and Pit and Dark Pit will obviously have very different colors (probably the same colors, just one stays light, the other goes for deep, dark tones)

Silhouette design is something Valve did with TF2, so I imagine people take that lesson out to other games even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ryce

Silhouette design is something Valve did with TF2, so I imagine people take that lesson out to other games even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.
It just doesn't make sense to me. We've been able to play Mario vs. Mario vs. Mario vs. Mario since 1999, but suddenly Pit vs. Dark Pit is an issue?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait...you wanted Duck Hunt dog? Congrats, but don't feel bad when I say it is my mission in this game to get some childhood vengeance on that laughing canine.

We got our Dorf back though so its all good by me. Can't wait to see how Dorf's been reworked. His up smash looks a bit faster. Here's hoping the stomp is friggin quick, and he gets armor to snuff projectiles.

Honestly my biggest wish is for him to get a counter thats also air OK. I'd be fucking obnoxious if he ever got one.

Bring it on! I dare you. I will challenge you for matches and I will make you hate my canine even more! :v

Here is our hopes that our Dorf would be much better. *raise the cup of salt water*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom