• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are suggesting the leaker has an actual copy of the game rather than just access to an ESRB footage reel?

I think that was just one guy who made a post in this thread a few hours ago about how "his sources" tell him the leaker was an NoA employee who has a copy of the game. No reason to believe it, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: here it is:

I have a source that has just informed me that Nintendo have identified the leaker. He has been fired and is being sued. He does not work at ESRB itself. He was an employee of NoA, who was sending materials to the ESRB. This is a completely internal leak.

The leaker, despite having been fired, still has a copy of the Smash Bros 3DS game in his possession; as well as one of the 3DS systems used for internal ratings. Nintendo has yet to seize these from him. It's a copy of the final build of the game.

If there is more to be unlocked in the game, such as new characters, it is possible we'll see more from him (if he still cares to share it); given that he still has it. I doubt it though.

Neiteio

Several incidents of police brutality towards people of color happened in the past few weeks, yeah. Not saying yours was over the line - the joke I had on my tongue (or my fingers I guess) was tho. :p
Oh, OK, I know what you're talking about now. Yeah, my joke didn't involve any violence, which is why I was confused.

Roo

The hardest part to me for possibly losing Ice Climbers, is pretty much without Smash, nobody even know they exist, and they only really exist currently because of Smash. Without Smash, we wouldn't have cool hockey/christmas remixes, snowy mountain levels, or just cold icy levels in general.

Without Smash, Mewtwo continues being relevant. Snake too. Squirtle and Ivysaur also still appear in games. If you like Star Fox you have Fox/Falco and the entire series in Smash. If you like Mother, you still have Ness. If you liked Ice Climbers... you don't get anything. Not even a new game in their series to play outside of Smash.

They also represented all the pre-Super Mario Bros "this game isn't really good, but it's all we have" Arcadey NES games. We have the Balloon Fight level to sort of reference it, but not really. Not as a playable character.

Ice Climbers were also the most unique character in the game, control wise, even being more complicated and advanced than Olimar with their desyncing, and in their tiny little inuit appearance, it was charming they were so deep.

This is why not having them concerns me. Not having them in Smash doesn't just mean they aren't in Smash, like previous cuts, but still remain relevant as Nintendo characters. It basically means they stop existing in people's minds as characters. They fade away, they become irrelevant. They have nothing to fall back on, all they have is Smash Bros. Cutting them doesn't just cut Ice Climbers from Smash.

No other series in Smash relies so much on Smash to remain relevant.

Don't give up just yet.
We still don't have the full roster and even tho the "DLC leak" was fake, they certainly can appear as post-launch content if they don't make it to the main game.

Jawmuncher

metroid_other_m__baby_ridley_by_rockman242-d4jm4vs.png

That thing was so cool.

Neiteio

Yea someone posted info last night

Yes. Someone came in here yesterday saying the leaker was a friend of a friend, was an employee at NOA, got fired and will be sued, but Nintendo forgot to take his 3DS and cart from him so he still might leak more.

It's the dumbest story that people kept repeating on here and other sites.

Apparently he is from NoA.

I think that was just one guy who made a post in this thread a few hours ago about how "his sources" tell him the leaker was an NoA employee who has a copy of the game. No reason to believe it, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: here it is:
Ah, thanks for the clarification, everyone. :)

If someone forgot to take sensitive material from him before he left, that person would also be fired and their career would probably be ruined.

So we're assuming that everyone who works at NOA is either a scheming fool or just a fool. Which, release dates aside, seems sort of hard to swallow.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
INTELLIHEATH:

...just wanted to congratulate you on getting so many of the characters you wanted. :)

The only one that didn't make the cut for you was Takamaru, IIRC, but you got Duck Hunt, Palutena, Pac-Man, etc.

I have to imagine you're pretty stoked right now. :)

Heck yeah. I'm totally stroked about most of my most wanted characters being in the game. I'm pretty sure that Isaac and Advance Wars and Isaac are coming back as assist trophies with Takamaru. I'm glad that they are in better form rather than being trophy itself.

Thanks!

Neiteio

I know we're not really in a position to, well, know, but if you guys had to guess, do you think the leaker was someone inside Nintendo, or someone inside the ESRB?

georly

Yes. Someone came in here yesterday saying the leaker was a friend of a friend, was an employee at NOA, got fired and will be sued, but Nintendo forgot to take his 3DS and cart from him so he still might leak more.

It's the dumbest story that people kept repeating on here and other sites.

I agree that I don't believe that nintendo FORGOT to take it from him. There's no way that ever happened.

I also find it hard to believe that they let him TAKE A 3DS HOME with an unreleased game.

If he did, however, nintendo KNOWS he has it and are probably taking necessary actions to procure it.

No it wouldn't.

O.O

At least I can say you're shameless. I know i'd be embarrassed for openly insulting other people on here.

Missed the last 100 pages or so, anything get leaked after the videos with Bowser Jr and Ganondorf were shown? All this rumbling about Impa, Mewtwo etc....

This is a good point and good post. I think Kid Icarus was pretty much in the same position prior to Uprising, and ROB and G&W are special cases so those don't really apply either. So you're right. The only new IC game we got was NES Remix, and other than that we haven't gotten anything. I think this is all the more reason for Nintendo to test the waters with an eShop game for IC to see how it does. I think they could make it a cool puzzle platformer (but I'm open to anything featuring Nana and Popo).
Chances are the only reason they appeared in NES Remix as an important game in that game, was because of Smash. Without Smash, they might have gotten in NES Remix, but more like Pinball and only have like 5 challenges.

Ice Climbers isn't really... good. Or memorable. The controls are slippery and frustrating and the game is fairly repetitive.

ROB is still entirely relevant. He makes cameos all the time. He was even a playable racer in Mario Kart.
Game and Watch too. He makes some cameos and the Game and Watch Gallery series and the collections and replicas Club Nintendo has put out.

Pit was probably the next best bet for a series like this, but even so, IC are quite a bit older than Kid Icarus is as a series, and KI had 2 games before Uprising. And KI was a good game.

I know we're not really in a position to, well, know, but if you guys had to guess, do you think the leaker was someone inside Nintendo, or someone inside the ESRB?
I've been thinking about this myself an honestly I'm not sure who it could have been. Guess I go with a disgruntled NOA employee?

Luqi

I like the fact that we can specate, hopefully we will be able to spectate anyone we want, like, if I want to spectate Mang0 I'll be able too even if he's not on my friendlist

Neiteio

Heck yeah. I'm totally stroked about most of my most wanted characters being in the game. I'm pretty sure that Isaac and Advance Wars and Isaac are coming back as assist trophies with Takamaru. I'm glad that they are in better form rather than being trophy itself.

Thanks!
Awesome! I figured you were pleased. :)

Neiteio

Since you're able to pan the camera any way you want while the game is paused, I wonder if they could have a MK8-style replay function that shoots a match from dramatic camera angles. Might also explain that behind-the-back view they showed in the April Direct for Little Mac, evoking classic Punch-Out.

I like the fact that we can specate, hopefully we will be able to spectate anyone we want, like, if I want to spectate Mang0 I'll be able too even if he's not on my friendlist
I loved the follow feature on sf4 where you could follow online players and their matches

Berordn

I'd guess ESRB, just because it all matches up perfectly. Direct feed video, focus on "religious" iconography and potential for lewd imagery, ability to display text anonymously...

An NoA employee no doubt took the video, but it was almost certainly released by someone on the ESRB side.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Honestly, even if the last leak was the final characters roster I'd be happy with it.

And it even hurts Sakurai to cut a character.

I remembered that quote. I feel bad that he had to stressed himself out.

You didn't respond to me earlier, but I congratulated you on getting so many of the characters you wanted. You were the first person I thought of when Duck Hunt was shown. :)

I'm really sorry that I didn't see the message. The thread was moving pretty fast yesterday.

Fortunately for you, the koopalings are confirmed to NOT be Bowser's children!

Having grown up when the Koopalings were initially introduced, I will forever think of them as Bowser's seven kids. I'm aware it was a translation error that apparently wasn't intended, but it's how they were introduced to me. They'll always be the Koopa Kids to me, and Bowser will always be their dad.

Since you're able to pan the camera any way you want while the game is paused, I wonder if they could have a MK8-style replay function that shoots a match from dramatic camera angles. Might also explain that behind-the-back view they showed in the April Direct for Little Mac, evoking classic Punch-Out.

We already saw a Replay Channel in the leaks. Let's hope it's more towards the Mario Kart TV end of the spectrum than the Brawl replay side.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So far all of the hats have been from find mii and find mii 2, right? No hats from the 'mii plaza expanded universe'? Or have we seen any?

Epic Kirby is from the latter, IIRC.
Off the top of my head Cowboy hat is Plaza Ticket hat and that was one of the first hats we saw.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hey SmashGAF, new recruit here! I've been lurking NeoGAF for 3 or so years now, but after witnessing the insanity of the Smash faithful, I just had to join!

Also, Dark Pit is my new main, screw the haters!

Welcome to SmashGAF. Yesssss, other Dark Pit Supporter!

Is anyone here actually going to use custom movesets or Mii?

I'm very partial on the idea.

I will for sure!

When's the new thread up?

500 posts to go.

I'll see you all in Gamblers Anonymous.

:lol

Ryce

There were three major waves of first-party character-based games on the NES, starting with the release of the light gun series in 1984. Before that, first-party NES games were mostly arcade ports or sports games.

• Early 1984 - “light gun series” (Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt, Hogan’s Alley)
  • November 1984-January 1985 - “action series” (Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber)
  • Summer 1985 - “robot series” (Stack-Up, Gyromite)
Super Mario Bros. followed along with Disk System games like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus.

We have Duck Hunt representing the Zapper and R.O.B. representing the robot series. Sakurai chose the Ice Climbers to represent the classic action games listed above, and cutting them removes a big chunk of Nintendo history from Smash Bros. Yes, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are technically retro NES characters as well, but they fill different niches.

The retcon still hurts

It's pretty weird, did they just forget about the koopalings when they introduced BJ in Sunshine and then have to retroactively disown them, or what?

It's only a matter of time before we're introduced to Junior's mother, right? That was the plot of all of Sunshine (He thought Peach was his mom, for some reason, right?), so it seems like they'll have to show us who Bowser's lady friend is eventually!

There were three major waves of first-party character-based games on the NES, starting with the release of the light gun series in 1984. Before that, first-party NES games were mostly arcade ports or sports games.

• November 1984-January 1985 - “action series” (Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber)
Super Mario Bros. followed along with Disk System games like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus.

We have Duck Hunt representing the Zapper and R.O.B. representing the robot series. Sakurai chose the Ice Climbers to represent the classic action games listed above, and cutting them removes a big chunk of Nintendo history from Smash Bros. Yes, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are technically retro NES characters as well, but they fill different niches.

I was alive for all of that lol

Neoxon

Thanks!
So let me get this straight, your inside source is saying that the roster isn't finished, & that none of the known leakers know?

johnbone

Villager is sort of filling the Balloon Fight niche I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom