• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Bowser retcon from seven children to one:

Meta-commentary on Japan's population decline

or

Miyamoto is double agent for China, bringing one-child policy to Japan

Can I say how ridiculously unbelievable the "Nintendo forgot to take his unlocked 3DS and final copy of Smash from him" thing is?

Like, not in a that's-crazy sort of way.

I mean I literally do not believe that happened.

Yeah. The entire QA department has to wait to go home until every single game card, console and controller is accounted for at the end of the day. There's no way some guy was able to just steal a copy

Though to me the most ridiculous part was "he's been sued" mere days (hours?) after the leak. As if our legal system was anywhere close to that fast acting

Placktor

Sorry if this is old, but here is Dark Link and Dark Zelda. Hoping for a Hilda skin.
114444_WUPP_AX_scrnC26_22_Ev08b.jpg

There were three major waves of first-party character-based games on the NES, starting with the release of the light gun series in 1984. Before that, first-party NES games were mostly arcade ports or sports games.

• Early 1984 - “light gun series” (Wild Gunman, Duck Hunt, Hogan’s Alley)
  • November 1984-January 1985 - “action series” (Urban Champion, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Ice Climber)
  • Summer 1985 - “robot series” (Stack-Up, Gyromite)
Super Mario Bros. followed along with Disk System games like The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus.

We have Duck Hunt representing the Zapper and R.O.B. representing the robot series. Sakurai chose the Ice Climbers to represent the classic action games listed above, and cutting them removes a big chunk of Nintendo history from Smash Bros. Yes, Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are technically retro NES characters as well, but they fill different niches.
Exactly, Ice Climbers represent a very specific point in NES history, with the various songs on their levels (Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land), stage elements (the Fish), even assist trophies like the Excite Bikers all come from Ice Climbers representing an era, not just a series. Cutting them not only removes an incredibly unique character, it removes a huge part of Nintendo's history in a playable character.

They're the best characters to represent that era.

the real story is that bowser disowned his lazy-bum-good-for-nothing koopaling kids so they went out and made a living on the streets of the mushroom kingdom, working their way up the corporate ladder until they all became successful business proprietors and sponsored the 8th mushroom kingdom karting tournament

did you think those sponsor logos were just for fun?

Berordn

Exactly, Ice Climbers represent a very specific point in NES history, with the various songs on their levels (Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land), stage elements (the Fish), even assist trophies like the Excite Bikers all come from Ice Climbers representing an era, not just a series. Cutting them not only removes an incredibly unique character, it removes a huge part of Nintendo's history in a playable character.

Duck Hunt could just as easily carry that era too.

Not really.

That era is more defined by Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Balloon Fight, Excitebike, and of course, Ice Climbers. Plain black backgrounds, simple arcade mechanics (or just straight arcade ports), all roughly have the same main menu, stuff like that.

I didn't want Ice Climbers cut by any means, but Duck Hunt Dog is a way better character to represent that era. He was the star of a single game that never got sequels, and is a retro character that only older Nintendo fans would remember.

However, unlike Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog is a character that doesn't need an introduction. The vast majority of NES owners had a zapper and Duck Hunt, as it was one of the pack-in games for a very long time. While Ice Climbers have been met with a collective "who?" for years since their introduction, Duck Hunt Dog is a character that people actually remember. He has a legacy, he reminds you of the NES, and his game was a lot more popular.

Simply put, Ice Climbers reminds people of Smash Bros, because that's the only popular thing they've ever been a part of. Duck Hunt Dog reminds you of the NES, I'd argue even more so than ROB since his game was far more prominent.

shaowebb

Heck yeah. I'm totally stroked about most of my most wanted characters being in the game. I'm pretty sure that Isaac and Advance Wars and Isaac are coming back as assist trophies with Takamaru. I'm glad that they are in better form rather than being trophy itself.

Thanks!

Wait...you wanted Duck Hunt dog? Congrats, but don't feel bad when I say it is my mission in this game to get some childhood vengeance on that laughing canine.

We got our Dorf back though so its all good by me. Can't wait to see how Dorf's been reworked. His up smash looks a bit faster. Here's hoping the stomp is friggin quick, and he gets armor to snuff projectiles.

Honestly my biggest wish is for him to get a counter thats also air OK. I'd be fucking obnoxious if he ever got one.

All that was debunked was the 5 dlc characters because the guy who said admitted he was messing with us.

The fact is there are clearly 5 spaces left on the roster and characters don't line up with where you would normally expect them to be on a final fully unlocked roster. This could mean the characters weren't finished by the time the esrb build was recorded, that they'll be added in as dlc later, that they weren't unlocked in that build for whatever reason, or (worse case) that its just a poor final lay out and that is the final roster.

We don't have any evidence to prove which if any of those scenarios is true. As far as we know people saying x/y/z were cut is because they aren't in that image.

All we know 100% is that the esrb leak video and screens reflect 48 finished characters at some point in development.
Or the five empty spaces left on the roster could be because there was no one else to fill the roster up.

People are going to be severely dissapointed when DLC doesn't happen. It might, but I doubt it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Simply put, Ice Climbers reminds people of Smash Bros, because that's the only popular thing they've ever been a part of. Duck Hunt Dog reminds you of the NES, I'd argue even more so than ROB since his game was far more prominent.
Wario Ware? NES Remix? Ice Climbers have had callbacks in other games apart from Smash Bros.

Brawl replays are fine for people with capture cards, but not so much for the masses.

I've been curious why they haven't considered a Smash iOS companion app, as well. Though considering the MK8 one still isn't out, maybe they have one iOS app team who is way behind schedule.

Wario Ware? NES Remix? Ice Climbers have had callbacks in other games apart from Smash Bros.

Not until they were in Smash Bros.

Before Smash Bros. nobody remembered Ice Climbers. I'm only one person but I never played the game as a kid, never knew it existed. None of my family members with an NES or dozens of friends who grew up with NES had ever heard of it either.

Doesn't take much searching online to see similar experiences shared by others who grew up with the NES.

You know who nearly every NES owner remembers? That damn dog that laughed at you during Duck Hunt.

georly

Hey, now don't go getting any weird ideas about me! Mario fanfic back in the day was totally G-rated.

I'm not implying that at all... it's just that... where would one FIND such mario stories?

Are you talking about the nintendo-approved mario storybooks? They're not fanfiction, but they're not Canon either, same with the show/movie/etc.

I guess... I didn't have internet to read when i was playing mario as a kid? I'd honestly never thing to track down or look up 'stories written about mario.'

Zelda maybe, but mario?

Neiteio

Question: When was Bowser's yellow skin design first introduced? Did that come about in SMB3? I think he was green-on-green before then, right?

His current design is just so good that it's interesting to think how he changed over the years.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As much as I don't like seeing the "Random" square on the CSS, I'm with you on using it often. There's just too many characters I want to use to stick to one or two mains.

Well, I love to use the random button. It's so much fun and sometime giving other people fair chance to beat me.

Zubz

Banned

Honestly, I'd argue DHD fits the role far better; he not only reps that "Dawn of the NES" era, but is from a game that was popular.
And good.

Still, it was an important era to the future of gaming, and their play style is unique to fighting games as a whole (The only parallel I can make is to 2 clown twins from a Saturn MK-Clone. I think it was called Battle Monsters?). I mean, Villager's Pocket makes him like Phoenix Wright, Little Mac is like many all-punch boxers (Just here, the limited mobility is even worse), Rosalina has a Stand, etc.; even if they all have unique twists, the Ice Climbers' play style amazed me when I first saw them! Plus, they were one of my mains in Melee, so I hope they come back without being nerfed to hell. Even as DLC, I'll bitterly pay to get them back; just save those Ice Children!

Not until they were in Smash Bros.

Before Smash Bros. nobody remembered Ice Climbers. I'm only one person but I never played the game as a kid, never knew it existed. None of my family members with an NES or dozens of friends who grew up with NES had ever heard of it either.

Doesn't take much searching online to see similar experiences shared by others who grew up with the NES.

You know who nearly every NES owner remembers? That damn dog that laughed at you during Duck Hunt.

But isn't that a good thing? Not every character in Smash needs to be instantly recognizable.

And, while it's much more pronounced on Ice Climbers, probably due to their age, other characters like Ness were also obscure.

Kolma

So far all of the hats have been from find mii and find mii 2, right? No hats from the 'mii plaza expanded universe'? Or have we seen any?

Epic Kirby is from the latter, IIRC.

or so you want to think...
The expanded universe added tickets which you can redeem to buy hats/ hat&outfit combos...

I still have yet to get them all... those 4 games are a pain in the ass to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom