• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swap Note

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ck2FtahZI

img.jpg

- now available in Japan
- communication tool for writing and exchanging journal entries with friends
- wireless transfer of messages through StreetPass and SpotPass
- select to send to individual friends
- mass send to all your friends

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks very good, I particularly like how it replays the drawings.
Another good feature is the mass sending, didn't expect it from Nintendo.

It's time to add friend codes guys, with mass sending fun things will come out of this :)

watershed

Banned
Looking forward to this. I like it for what it is even though I would have preferred a live chat app instead. People on my friends list are about to get sent some cool 3d screenshots!

Question: can you send pics as mpos?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's coming to the rest of the world on Thursday. They got it early in Japan because they get their weekly updates earlier in the week than everyone else.

That means TETRIS IS UP NOW TOO :O

spiderman.gif

watershed

Banned
I think people are getting the wrong impression of swapnote. Its more a postcard sending app than a new pictochat or instant messenger app. Obviously we all want a chat app but that doesn't seem to be what this app was built for.

marc^o^

IIRC there was also a voice chat app on wii that never took off. I expect it to be released on 3DS at some point, probably after Animal Crossing, which should be the first game from Nintendo supporting the feature.

Truth101

Banned
IIRC there was also a voice chat app on wii that never took off. I expect it to be released on 3DS at some point, probably after Animal Crossing, which should be the first game from Nintendo supporting the feature.
Heroes of Ruin will have voice chat won't it?

Jackano

I got a Wii Speak at GAME for somehting like 5€ in the garbage bin a while ago. I think the download code for the Wii Speak channel isn't working anymore :lol But it's now a rarity and an useless Nintendo accessory :)

Swap Note with mass sending? I wonder if we can mass send at all the Mii's showing up on the Mii Plaza after playing some MK7 in several communities? If yes, welcome 3DS spam!

watershed

Banned
Here's a feature you guys will really like: you have to use play coins to unlock all of swapnote's features. Its not all available out the gate.

Wow, it's actually kind of awesome. Based on the OP's video, I like how some of the designs are "premium" designs that require play coins to purchase. I also like the little touches (like how your writing/drawing is actually played back to the recipient) and how you can send audio.

marc^o^

Here's a feature you guys will really like: you have to use play coins to unlock all of swapnote's features. Its not all available out the gate.
Nintendo then needs to offer a new way to earn coins. I can't go to war, solve puzzles and unlock features just by walking.

You should earn coins just by playing games. It should be a system wide feature. Hell, link it to an achievements like system, with every game offering you a max of 250 coins or so.

It's so easy, Nintendo!

You could just not blow all your coins on Find Mii... :p

Really though, the things that require play coins are so cheap and minimal that there shouldn't need to be ways to get even more at the moment. If more and more games support them, then maybe they should raise the limit to 20 coins/day.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Honestly all I want is for them to eliminate the step cap. I easily walk 4000-5000 steps a day and it would be a hell of a lot nicer to earn 40-50 coins for that instead of being capped at 10. I have ten fucking coins by the time I even get to my train!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I'll live. Honestly, all I would ever use messaging for would be to organise sessions of online play, and this seems well suited for that. I don't need in game messaging support. Yet.
"my car doesn't have a door? Eh, I'll live. honestly all i would ever do is close it anyway. I don't need it. yet"

eh? this analogy doesn't make any sense? eh. i'll live. honestly, it doesn't need to make any sense. yet

Yes, gain 50 coins every 10 hours played or something like that :)

I'd rather it be based on achievements, but whatever. Anything is better than it only being from steps.

I wish there was a faster way to cash in your coins too. So tedious clicking through menus to buy puzzles pieces and those Mii fighter guys.

pramath

Banned
Honestly all I want is for them to eliminate the step cap. I easily walk 4000-5000 steps a day and it would be a hell of a lot nicer to earn 40-50 coins for that instead of being capped at 10. I have ten fucking coins by the time I even get to my train!

THIS, A HUNDRED TIMES THIS
Also, what's up with the 300 coin limit overall?

Unlockable features with coins? I haven't even gotten all the hats in the first Find Mii yet. It's not that important to me that I'm going to carry my 3DS everywhere.

watershed

Banned
Baby steps :p

I'll live. Honestly, all I would ever use messaging for would be to organise sessions of online play, and this seems well suited for that. I don't need in game messaging support. Yet.
I agree, the limit sucks. I walk over 4000 steps daily with my 3ds in my bag but only get 10 coins :(

rpmurphy

I think people are getting the wrong impression of swapnote. Its more a postcard sending app than a new pictochat or instant messenger app. Obviously we all want a chat app but that doesn't seem to be what this app was built for.
This is a lot richer messaging app than I expected though. Obviously because of that and the system's multitasking limitations, it's not the kind of messaging system that people were looking forward to (just a basic one that you can quickly use without quitting out from a game).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This is a lot richer messaging app than I expected though. Obviously because of that and the system's multitasking limitations, it's not the kind of messaging system that people were looking forward to (just a basic one that you can quickly use without quitting out from a game).

But where a "basic messaging system" on the 3DS would be mostly boring and useless they have instead found a way to make the messaging system fun and have it utilize the StreetPass functions to receive messages from other people, meaning it is something I will not only use but Enjoy Using.

NINTENDO MAGIC

This is just a novelty app. 3DS has had some solid OS improvements lately so it's a shame it's still looking years behind in terms of messaging.

I can't imagine anybody uses the browser in-game, just cut it and add a simple messaging program like any regular online system.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sounds nice. But are there any downsides other than being an optional app rather than native?

marc^o^

But where a "basic messaging system" on the 3DS would be mostly boring and useless they have instead found a way to make the messaging system fun and have it utilize the StreetPass functions to receive messages from other people, meaning it is something I will not only use but Enjoy Using.

NINTENDO MAGIC
Do you think we will be able to receive random messages through StreetPass? That would mean potential offensive drawings, I'm not sure they allowed this.

@MUWANdo

Banned

The 3DS isn't limited in any way that precludes it from adding the sort of messaging system people wanted/expected, Nintendo just elected not to do it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Do you think we will be able to receive random messages through StreetPass? That would mean potential offensive drawings, I'm not sure they allowed this.

We already receive random messages through StreetPass in the form of Mii greetings and personal greetings. I would be surprised if you couldn't receive StreetPass messages from random people. At least I'd expect to be able to receive messages from people you've StreetPassed before.

Truth101

Banned
This is just a novelty app. 3DS has had some solid OS improvements lately so it's a shame it's still looking years behind in terms of messaging.

I can't imagine anybody uses the browser in-game, just cut it and add a simple messaging program like any regular online system.
Because everyones 3DS is always online?

rpmurphy

You still need to suspend a game to use it, and there are restrictions on that. The 3DS simply will not be able to have the kind of messaging system that people use on other systems.

Top Bottom