• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Haven't played it myself. Thought it was pretty good from videos though?

The game was fine it was just folks who were graphics whores or cared too much about FPS would have freaked out. As the game did have some slowdown, animations were out of sync at times among other things.

What I refer to as the "modern" gamer would have been complaining all over the place Id imagine.

Let me get you the link to the vids I did from the PSP version. It was in another thread I had done. Hang on.

Pt.6 (click on image to play video) This one should be safe to watch for the most part as its mainly combat.

Pt.7 (click on image to play video) another combat centric video. Has one semi-story event but nothing really plot related.

Zephyx

Just to chime in and say that I am one of those who plays games without caring for fps or resolution. Heck I enjoy the stuttery Akibas trip 2 xD and the Jak ports. Just going to put those for those who care about that. For me, if there a fun game I'll play it. I am expecting HF to be a great game though.

Sorry if a bit offtopic but is Akiba's Trip 2 stuttery? I'm planning to get that game but it's hard to convince myself if the FPS drops are all over the place. I'm generally fine with it in slow-paced games but for a semi-action/adventure game, I want it to be at least smooth or somehow "playable".

Sitrus

Sorry if a bit offtopic but is Akiba's Trip 2 stuttery? I'm planning to get that game but it's hard to convince myself if the FPS drops are all over the place. I'm generally fine with it in slow-paced games but for a semi-action/adventure game, I want it to be at least smooth or somehow "playable".
Well, you notice the stuttery and slowdowns everywhere. One of the most stuttery games on the Vita, maybe the most. You stutter inside buildings, outside in town, battles have slowdowns sometimes. If you don't care, like me, I think you will get much enjoyment from it.
EDIT: I think the game graphics look pretty good for a PSP game. I mean, what do people expect from a handheld?

Parakeetman

Well, you notice the stuttery and slowdowns everywhere. One of the most stuttery games on the Vita, maybe the most. You stutter inside buildings, outside in town, battles have slowdowns sometimes. If you don't care, like me, I think you will get much enjoyment from it.
EDIT: I think the game graphics look pretty good for a PSP game. I mean, what do people expect from a handheld?

Which brings us back to the whole initial comment of framerates and resolution. See what Im getting at? lol Full circle.

Game is a bit buggy also so just get ready for that. But yeah generally its nothing too serious and you should enjoy the game regardless. Truthfully as long as things dont turn into a slideshow folks shouldnt worry haha

Zephyx

Welp. Thanks. I was fine with stutters when I played Atelier Totori but if this is somehow worse, I don't know. Maybe I need to convince myself with some videos of the game running on the Vita. Still leaning on buying it though.

Game is a bit buggy also so just get ready for that. But yeah generally its nothing too serious and you should enjoy the game regardless. Truthfully as long as things dont turn into a slideshow folks shouldnt worry haha

I'm fine with bugs as long it is not that game-breaking. I'm a software developer myself and I can symphatize with game developers as it is very hard to fix bugs especially when the game is up and running or a version is already out. It's still not an excuse to not provide a patch that fixes them though.

Gbraga

7xG3sZZ.jpg

tumblr_mx2y80kfZI1rktdaso1_500.png

and from not playing the other game... D:
i716antyvRr45.gif

Oh man, they'll never localize this :(

hmmm is the framerate ok? Could be capture issue but i see some weird chugs randomly on twitch.

curious if the gameplay is good/deep, because it definitely looks like a game that can be pretty fun, or really boring lol

Parakeetman

Are there any reviews out yet?

Game just came out today, what do you think?
I dont really give famitsu "reviews" much consideration but the game scored 8, 8, 8, 8. So take what you will from that.

Japan isnt like the west asides from major gaming mag publishers, which basically all there are is Dengeki Playstation and Famitsu those really are the only two who get to "review" things before hand. Everything else is basically word of mouth / write ups on Japanese gaming blogs that usually start appearing after the game is out. There are some folks who get it earlier and put up impressions on like 2ch and such, but its generally a pain in the ass to hunt those down.

---

Just finished adding the image was working on to the OT.

In other news have an extra LE copy of the JP version for sale. 100 USD + Shipping. shipping will be done via Japan Post Office EMS. Item is already packaged up and ready to go if payment is received by today.

Sitrus

First impressions
Those who liked Celceta will like this. Beware that the opening will hang a bit before starting the game. Thought my vita crashed for a moment :p

Edit: After 30 min in I can say it plays a lot like Celceta with an auto attack. Really fast paced compared to the previous game.

Parakeetman

The 1.01 Patch must be some real minor stuff since its only 11MB.

Got my wedding dress & school mizugi downloaded also.

Lisbeth awaits~
x9nUsQj.gif

As happy as I am with the other stuff at the same time, am sad the LE physical version didnt come with the Y-shirt too... D:
sLLX5km.gif

First impressions
Those who liked Celceta will like this. Beware that the opening will hang a bit before starting the game. Thought my vita crashed for a moment :p

Edit: After 30 min in I can say it plays a lot like Celceta with an auto attack. Really fast paced compared to the previous game.

Really?! That is awesome.

Sitrus

First boss is hard. You really have to use the skills correctly to even dent it. Resolution is sub native. Framerate is good enough for the most part. I feel so glad it's like Celceta on Hard difficulty. As of now I have a hard time remembering all the skills to use in every situation. BTW. Oreshika 2 demo is up on JP psn.

Edit:went and attacked a field boss instead of the quest one...

Parakeetman

Truthfully I wouldnt really compare it to Celceta as its a different game with that one being more pure action not to mention with how the general combat mechanics work along with mindset required for this game. Dont want to give folks a false impression of what to expect. :)

One thing for sure is this title is 100% better than the PSP one. Very impressed with the work put into it. The graphics are great and the 2d dialog scenes are very crisp. Looks very nice.

Its nice too how attacks in general are manually inputted vs the previous PSP title where were all automatic attacks. Along with the other system changes that makes this games combat a lot more interesting. With the combat, folks will have to be sure not to spam attacks or else they will miss the chance to successfully dodge or perform a parry. It feels like that they made the cool down for parry a bit longer than it originally was.

Switch system works perfectly and issuing commands on the fly is fairly easy too. I will have to re-learn how a lot of the systems work though, but that shouldnt be a problem when I have more time to look at things in depth, but already this is seeming like its far easier than the system which we were given in the PSP version. The switch system is most def used a lot more too considering how fast your risk goes up.

(Risk - is a status rating that the higher it goes the more damage can be taken, which is why one needs to use the switch system to pull back from the front of combat to lower the rating. Same will go if you see your partners risk rating is high you will want to switch with them to help lower that.)

Overall I think this title will be an excellent purchase for fans of the Series / those who want a different JRPG.

Will be continuing my progress now and heading back to the game.

Currently uploading the first part of recorded footage. Then will upload the 2nd next.

Pt.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvejk_w7icY

Nice!

Parakeetman

Thank you for the video! Can't wait for part 2 :)

Its currently processing. you get to see me die at the end since I decided to try and push my luck against the lv 120+ monster lol.

10 lvs higher was dangerous enough as is with how many attacks miss. The 120 one is a bit too suicidal :D Good times though, as I love doing stuff like attempting to kill what Im not supposed to. Though Im pretty sure it is possible, you will really have to put on all the right buffs and have all the correct sword skills ready before hand. Also try to nail the parry, switch timing, timing of your stun skill and use the partners skill correctly to try and time it with your own to get the maximum amount of damage possible.

Its why this game in general the mindset has to be a bit more geared towards how one plays an MMO and such.

Man really is fantastic what they have done with this game though. Am highly impressed.

Have figured out how the new system works, seems to be a bit confusing for those new at it but once you get used to the controls its not that bad. You will have to make use of the shoulder buttons a lot along with the directional pad for commands for your partner. The L1 and R1 buttons will open up different menus tied to your skills also. Then there is another larger skill icon menu that can be brought up which you can select non hot-linked skills to use.

ranmafan

Loving hearing all the impressions so far. Just got back from work and my copy was waiting for me at home. Going to put a lot of time into it tonight!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played it for about 15-20 minutes, cleared the first forced boss fight and a few minor enemies after that. The battle system has potential, so I probably won't be selling it anytime soon.
One thing that's really annoying is how slow and weak looking the last combo skill is. Who came up with that?

Other than that game looks and plays much better than I've expected, so I'm positively surprised.

Parakeetman

Some combat footage from the hollow area. Ending with me fighting an enemy higher level than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuBAid_jge8

Had to re-upload part 2 which is currently going on. Had to delete one of my PSP videos due to the copyright bullshit. I might consider switching to vimeo or something thats less stupid with how it flags things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4dOSLdHFzI

I see how they did the story. Once you get through the prologue part from there you have the opportunity to watch a rather long story sequence that explains all of the events leading up to where you are now. Basically they cut out some of the initial first part of infinity moment when you start to meet the other characters who show up on the 76th floor, Lisbeth, Silica, Leafa, Sinon. But you will get the general idea of what happened. Then the game will start after that. I suppose it makes sense to help save some space and start things off faster. For those who are familiar with what went on initially in Infinity Moment can skip the "recap".

Played it for about 15-20 minutes, cleared the first forced boss fight and a few minor enemies after that. The battle system has potential, so I probably won't be selling it anytime soon.
One thing that's really annoying is how slow and weak looking the last combo skill is. Who came up with that?

Other than that game looks and plays much better than I've expected, so I'm positively surprised.

Glad to hear you are not just going to instantly give up on the title. lol

--

Its interesting to see how they really did rework this to be more of an action title and it works. While keeping the MMO feel of the other mechanics. Very happy with the changes to the combat system once again.

Nice to see too that you actually take damage and such, since with the PSP version for a while you pretty much were like this in the game.
CwCKNVD.gif

The OHP also updated with more DLC items, though Im literally out of space with my OP so cant add all of this in there.
http://sao-hf.bngames.net/dlc/

FourMyle

Wow so they really did make a game for this show huh? The combat looks absolutely atrocious and the game seems like it chugs along at 15 fps max. I thought this anime would be popular enough to warrant a half-way decent game but I guess not!

Parakeetman

Went and took a quick shot of what I went and edited my character to look like. Already had played as Kirito with the PSP one.

Its kinda odd seeing the cut-ins with the battle thats kiritos graphic though lol.

Kysen

So after seeing some footage this looks like a lot of fun, getting a ragnarok vibe. Just wish it had infrastructure mode.

Parakeetman

So after seeing some footage this looks like a lot of fun, getting a ragnarok vibe. Just wish it had infrastructure mode.

Yeah that is unfortunate that there is none currently. Will have to wait and see if they do decide to add one or not. Currently no word on that at this time. I would hope that they will include it eventually as this game could benefit from it greatly. Esp if they plan to constantly update the content and such.

I would say in some ways the closest thing this title is to, would be Phantasy Star Online. Although quite different with the overall mechanics. But the general feel of how it is now fits slightly. Standard attack + most of damage coming from skill based attacks. But thats really, really simplifying everything though. Also its not as free with the targeting since it tethers you to your current target. Similar to a lock on mode, but this activates automatically when you engage in combat with an enemy.

Can imagine that co-op mp should be quite enjoyable.

---

One thing is that there really is a big graphical difference from the Hollow Area vs. The original PSP version areas which are in the Vita version. So dont be surprised when the original areas from Infinity Moment dont look as good as the new Hollow Fragment areas. Just to give folks a bit of a warning in advance.

Sitrus

I really like that there are other parties on the field fighting monsters. Makes it seem more like an online game xD

Parakeetman

I really like that there are other parties on the field fighting monsters. Makes it seem more like an online game xD

It is pretty cool isnt it? :)

I always worry that they will die or something, even though am pretty sure it wont but I still run over and kill whatever they are fighting regardless lol

what i wonder if eventually the updates will also make more of the vendors around town interactive. since right now its still generally the same ones from the psp version that you can interact with. Dear god the wedding dress is expensive. The school mizugi was like 50,000 which isnt too bad. I cant remember if the wedding dress was 300,000 col or 600,000. something pretty damned high though.

I wonder how much the y-shirt is?

All ive been doing is just hanging out in the hollow area leveling up Lisbeth. Since she starts around the 70somethings. D: Which is pretty low in comparison to others. Also working on skilling up the other weapon types. Noticed that the hollow area respawn times seem to be a little slower than the standard games world. I guess its to balance out the amount of EXP gained.

Using the 1HS and getting the EXP up / Partner EXP up skills are also highly recommended. Though the partner one is basically all earned exp goes to the partner so you gain nothing. But good way to level up a lot lower lv partners faster. Used to do that a lot on the PSP. But man I forgot how slow your general attack speed is / damage out put when using just a single blade + shield. Though the defense is great. The def buffs helps make sure lisbeth wont go dropping dead on my by accident out here lol. Since to use the defensive skills you need to have a shield equipped.

You seem to be implying that this is a remake of the PSP game. Is that the case or are you talking about the graphics and gameplay only? PSP Prequel doesn't have anything unique?

Just popping in to say that because of this thread I just discovered Sword Art Online and stayed up all night watching episodes. Up to #18 now. Now back to my VR dive.

Parakeetman

Interested in this, would it be better to wait for the NA version? Or just go ahead and import?

If you really cant wait, then import. Though if you do not know Japanese you will be missing out on a lot. At least unlike with other titles we do know that its coming to the west and "summer" shouldnt be too far away hopefully. So if you can wait and just play other games during the time inbetween would suggest that route.

Guessing we haven't heard yet about whether the Taiwanese edition's English is everywhere or just for certain bits yet?

Yeah dont think we will hear about that till its closer to release. Since currently not much to go on asides from the launch date for that version unfortunately.

How is the combat different from Infinity Moment or are they similar?

The way the menus work is a lot different also there is no auto-attack anymore. its all manual and that is dependent on the burst gauge. You can also assign a sword skill to proc at the end of your standard attacks, but if you constantly keep doing that you will be also losing out on TP so its not really recommended. They really did improve the combat a lot. Also it seems that parry and switch take longer with the cooldown time.

You seem to be implying that this is a remake of the PSP game. Is that the case or are you talking about the graphics and gameplay only? PSP Prequel doesn't have anything unique?

Its the story basically. The graphics have been updated somewhat for the original infinity moment part of the story, along with the city has been fixed up a bit. Gameplay has been fully updated and the hollow area addition is pretty large. its a huge remake w/ a lot of new content. Only difference is that this game cuts out a bunch of the initial story stuff with some characters and how they appeared in the world. Though you get a general rundown of everything that has happened up until when you start the game. So for those who didnt play infinity moment will have a basis of how everyone kinda got there.

Just popping in to say that because of this thread I just discovered Sword Art Online and stayed up all night watching episodes. Up to #18 now. Now back to my VR dive.

lol glad to hear and hope you are enjoying the show.

Defuser

Another quick question, how about the areas/monsters and the town hub? They did rehash everything that was in IM? I was hoping for a brand redesign for the town hub or at least a bigger expansion of it.

omenaa

Neo Member
Guessing we haven't heard yet about whether the Taiwanese edition's English is everywhere or just for certain bits yet?

The official Chinese press release said that the Asian version is going to include English and Chinese translation. I am confused how people seems to assume that subtitles would be english and menus in chinese only. Why would any company do that? People seems to make assumptions because of the few screenshots that were on the site that obviously were taken when the game is set to Chinese. Now that the US version is confirmed it's pretty clear that both Asian and US version is going to share the same translation. Also Demon's Souls, Ragnarok Odyssey, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Aquanaut's Holiday and Hakuna Matata/Africa were were released in Asia months before USA/EU and I haven't heard that these included some unfinished translation.

Sitrus

After clearing the 76th floor I can say you guys waiting for the English version is in for a treat. Aside from some slowdowns, it plays perfectly and the customication you can do with your build is great. There's a thin line between going Burst damage and parrying, evading attacks so there's strategy involved too along with taking stun, buff/debuffs to take into account.

The battle system just grows on me. There's a thin line between going Burst damage and parrying, evading attacks so there's strategy involved too. I loved PSO2, Xenoblade etc and I can say people who liked those kind of games will love this.

The game has several Visual Novel style scenes that may last for quite a bit. Some story, some comical skitches. They have also assigned voices to the other NPCs you can partner up with :p

I cannot say how much I love this game already, it's frightening.

antibolo

Banned
Is there a Hardcore mode where you lose your save file if you die?

That would seem like the logical thing to do for this game.

Parakeetman

The official Chinese press release said that the Asian version is going to include English and Chinese translation. I am confused how people seems to assume that subtitles would be english and menus in chinese only. Why would any company do that? People seems to make assumptions because of the few screenshots that were on the site that obviously were taken when the game is set to Chinese. Now that the US version is confirmed it's pretty clear that both Asian and US version is going to share the same translation. Also Demon's Souls, Ragnarok Odyssey, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Aquanaut's Holiday and Hakuna Matata/Africa were were released in Asia months before USA/EU and I haven't heard that these included some unfinished translation.

Because subtitles do not = localization when it comes to terminology that has to do with game development. As I have explained god knows how many times now in relation to this topic. Subtitles in this situation refer to text that is overlaid on video displaying whatever is being said, this does not carry over to things such as menus, descriptions and which brings us to our next point. Localization would mean that all text of said language has been translated within the game.

Also I wouldnt assume that they share the same translations either.

Another quick question, how about the areas/monsters and the town hub? They did rehash everything that was in IM? I was hoping for a brand redesign for the town hub or at least a bigger expansion of it.

The areas are still pretty much the same from IM, along with the town. At least it looks a bit more alive now.

After clearing the 76th floor I can say you guys waiting for the English version is in for a treat. Aside from some slowdowns, it plays perfectly and the customication you can do with your build is great. There's a thin line between going Burst damage and parrying, evading attacks so there's strategy involved too along with taking stun, buff/debuffs to take into account.

The battle system just grows on me. There's a thin line between going Burst damage and parrying, evading attacks so there's strategy involved too. I loved PSO2, Xenoblade etc and I can say people who liked those kind of games will love this.

The game has several Visual Novel style scenes that may last for quite a bit. Some story, some comical skitches. They have also assigned voices to the other NPCs you can partner up with :p

I cannot say how much I love this game already, it's frightening.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the title. Xenoblade hmmm...you know thats a good way of putting it. Ive been busy in the hollow area leveling folks up. Lisbeth is almost lv 98 now I think. But dear god can you get lost in here as a lot of the zones connect. D:

----

Some footage of running around in the starting town for the first time, so includes some of the 2d dialog sequences with lisbeth & argo I think it was.

*Currently ULing footage of me "lost" in the hollow area / leveling lisbeth and upping my 1hs skills.

Lost in the Hollow Area + leveling Lisbeth. Shes currently lv 101 in my data now.

Am having a blast ignoring the story currently and just leveling characters / finding loot. :D Dear god though almost died so many times due to these enemies that can make you bleed + poison. Its insane how fast your life drains away. Its why am using the sword + shield combo due to the defensive skills that add life back / add def.

Hollow Area / Leveling Lisbeth / Found NPCs fighting / Combat with Lv 120+ Named Monster (NM)

This was a pretty crazy fight as you can see a lot of attacks missing. Thankfully we managed to keep him contained with stun locks basically so he didnt get to attack all that much till the end of the fight. Great stuff though, love fights like this. This game really does give you the MMO feel with the combat though. Plus all the management of skills / stats / SP usage and such good times. Would imagine running around the hollow area with friends would be crazy fun. Got a new 1HS from a chest here which was behind the boss. Found actually 2 1HS in this particular area. :D

I most likely wont be advancing in the game for a while as I spend more time in the Hollow Area. Might see about leveling Strea next.

Sitrus

I think this game may last over 100 hours just leveling characters, look for loot, getting skills. First floor and almost 20 hours... And yes, Hollow Area looks to be fun with some friends. I love the Hollow Bosses since they make you manage skills,buffs,switches to the degree where one error and you are dead. The missions are pretty varied too. How I hate the blood sucking green insects compared to the fun golem.

Parakeetman

I think this game may last over 100 hours just leveling characters, look for loot, getting skills. First floor and almost 20 hours... And yes, Hollow Area looks to be fun with some friends. I love the Hollow Bosses since they make you manage skills,buffs,switches to the degree where one error and you are dead. The missions are pretty varied too. How I hate the blood sucking green insects compared to the fun golem.

Totally this game is going to last a pretty long time, esp if the devs constantly push out new content. If a fan of SAO asked if they should buy a vita for this game in the US I would most def tell them yes.
Yeah those little bastards the tiny insects are the worse. If you fight 2 at once thats like a better chance of dying than some of the named monsters with the DOTs they toss on you along with their attack speed in general.

Am using a mace now since there is a skill that you can cure bad status effects. Though have not used it yet so did not see how long the cast time is. Plus can stun the fuck out of enemies which is one of the more useful things in this game. Right now Strea and I are just area of effect sword skilling everything lol

Parakeetman

any chance of uploading videos of other weapon types? only seen dual swords :3

Eventually, as equipment is either expensive, to be created or needs to be found yet. Currently am not focusing on the other weapons outside of the

1HS + Sheild, 1HM + Shield, Dual blades stopped for now. Might work on curved swords for a little while later as managed to pick one up in the dungeon. Currently though main focus is def, which is where I spent all my initial money on equipment.

Right now in the hollow area too its not exactly suggested to go running around with something that would put you at low def / slow attack speed such as 2H weapons till you can up your accuracy more due to the stronger enemies being hard to hit as is. Which you can see in the newer videos I put up. They are a few posts above this one.

If I remember correctly the 76th floor has a bunch of different weapons in chests so can equip those and mess around with it later. Its not like the footage will be all that impressive since would still need to skill up on said weapons / unlock the other sword art skills.

Top Bottom