• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces ƒ |OT| Gracing the PS3 with the Best RPG Combat

I like Laura Bailey too. I can't really nail down what it is that's bothering me so much about her though, so I'll put it this way: I would've preferred someone else played Cheria.

But we'll get used to it right? We've endured ARF, so this shouldn't be a problem. Besides, Laura is a pretty good voice actress.

I would say it's too early to write off older Cheria's voice already. Just because Laura Bailey is playing young Cheria doesn't really mean she'll play adult's or even use the same voice. I'm ok with her playing young Cheria since she can use that genki voice and be ok, but it wouldn't just fit adult Cheria. Hell, that genki voice would suit Pascal to a T.

I would say it's too early to write off older Cheria's voice already.

You're right. I've just assumed she'll be doing the older one too and I'm not the biggest Bailey fan. I've given this too much of my attention. There is actually news I'm really happy about too, so I'll smile to that. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's... okay when she speaks normally, but... um... umm... when she yells...

MAKE IT STOP.

qtfiuhxusu.png

But yeah, when she speaks normally, it's fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
We've got Omochao and Tails in that video. We just need Sonic now.
Yup.

Sonic needs to be Hubert cuz Hubert has blue hair. Sonic's current VA was Zagi in Tales of Vesperia, apparently?

The current voice of Knuckles was Clint in Tales of Vesperia, Amy's current VA was Legretta in Tales of the Abyss, current Shadow was Jade in TotA... So many Sonic characters in Tales. Soon someone in Tales will be telling me to find a computer room. Edit: Oh wow, Vector's VA was in Vesperia too? :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tales of Sonic and Friends

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tales of Sonic and Friends
After being LTTP on Sonic Chronicles last year and finishing it off, I'd like a Tales-esque Sonic RPG.

Interesting. I didn't know that. But it's still kind of funny because Vic Mignogna is also in Sonic. He voices E-123 Omega. :lol

john tv

Laura's really talented - the opening Kaine line when you boot Nier is testament to that. We did that line in one take and she -nailed- it. Don't blame her for getting stuck with roles that have crappy writing; when you give her a good script, she's really, really good IMO.

Listened to child Cheria in the video, but I thought she sounded just fine. Still curious how she sounds as an adult though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Isn't it just her childhood voice? Considering she's an adult for 95% of the game, what her childhood self sounds like shouldn't matter all that much.

Also, how long does it take for the story and gameplay to get started?
As soon as the first cutscene ends, you're given full control and you could start fighting fodder enemies on Lhant Hill and on the path back to town. Of course, I'd recommend getting through the Childhood Arc as quickly as possible since the adult arc has more satisfying combat and better artes.

As for the narrative, uh... someone else should field that. Just because I spent more hours in the prologue and the beginning of the regular game than the typical player.

Laura's really talented - the opening Kaine line when you boot Nier is testament to that. We did that line in one take and she -nailed- it. Don't blame her for getting stuck with roles that have crappy writing; when you give her a good script, she's really, really good IMO.
Oh yes, she's very talented. Her work in Nier was very good, and demonstrated that she had more range than what I'd experienced with her before.

It's just a cognitive association thing I have with one of the voices she does. It really isn't her fault at all.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
As soon as the first cutscene ends, you're given full control and you could start fighting fodder enemies on Lhant Hill and on the path back to town. Of course, I'd recommend getting through the Childhood Arc as quickly as possible since the adult arc has more satisfying combat and better artes.

As for the narrative, uh... someone else should field that. Just because I spent more hours in the prologue and the beginning of the regular game than the typical player.

Oh yes, she's very talented. Her work in Nier was very good, and demonstrated that she had more range than what I'd experienced with her before.

It's just a cognitive association thing I have with one of the voices she does. It really isn't her fault at all.

She's good I'm just sick of hearing her. I guess...

Bladenic

I'm fine with Laura Bailey voicing adult Cheria, she's a great voice actress. I'm hoping she uses her slightly deeper tone that she uses for XIII-2 Serah rather than Rise, for example.

scy

I went into Nier pretty blind on voice cast and hearing her there was ... well ... different. Unexpected.

She's probably one of my favorite English VAs though, but I think she also tends to voice characters I like so it may stem from that.

scy

Need a loli? Let's get Kana Hanazawa.

All hail the new queen?

Honestly, I've never really been bothered by hearing the same people voicing characters. Hell, I kind of look at voice casts to see who I recognize so I'm probably the polar opposite. I think that makes me part of the problem or something.

Aeana

All hail the new queen?

Honestly, I've never really been bothered by hearing the same people voicing characters. Hell, I kind of look at voice casts to see who I recognize so I'm probably the polar opposite. I think that makes me part of the problem or something.

It doesn't bother me. I just have a couple of voices I dislike.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Usually only bothers me when I can tell who it is and can easily equate it to another immediately. I can't watch FMP! in English since Vic uses his Edward Elric voice for Kurz and it bothers me.

Negator

Instead we have Koyasu, Hirano, Wakamoto, etc doing the same stuff in every game. Need a loli? Let's get Kana Hanazawa.
I'd rather have teh Rie.

I guess I don't have the same problem you do with the Japanese voices in games because I don't play Japanese region games all that often and they never include JP voices anymore

scy

True enough. There's a few voices I'd probably say that about but I think it's more that whole role association than the person.

Kugiloli grew on me, all hail the queen, started to get on my nerves, and now is back to normal. Strange cycle that one.

zulux21

It doesn't usually bother me either... the only time it does is when I sit down and watch a bunch of different anime, and play a bunch of different games that are unrelated to each other and the same person is a lead in all of them. Even then it only bothers me because I feel like I am being stalked (though technically I suppose I am the one doing the accidental stalking :p)

As for the dubs to Graces, I don't know how the japanese voices are, but with out knowing how the Japanese voices sound I think the English dubs that have been linked in here so far sound fine and for the most part fit what I would expect the character to sound like based on their body.

I like Kana Hanazawa.

But I don't watch much anime. I heard her in three roles only: Blue Exorcist, Steins;Gate, and Guilty Crown.

I watched one due to Media Create Sales and the hype, and the other two because my man, Hiroyuki Sawano, did the music.

Technically four roles since she plays Sophie in this game and I've played the JP demo of Graces. But I'm not countin it since it's been a long time and I can't even remember how the game plays, much less the voices.

So yeah, hail to the new queen! Hurrah hurrah!

InfiniteNine agrees with me 2.
cause I say so

Infinite Nine said:
Usually only bothers me when I can tell who it is and can easily equate it to another immediately.

It only bothers me if they remind me of characters I didn't particularly like... such as Welch, Omochao, Marta... oh crap, lemme stop! I need to play Neir one of these days.

Thinking about it, if the actor/actress had roles I liked in the past, I tend to get excited to hear them again. Troy Baker comes to mind.

Aeana

I think that voice fits Cheria just fine.
She was annoying as hell (as a child) in Japanese, this is actually an improvement.

I used to play a lot of RPGs during the ps1-ps2 games and recently Ive noticed that I havent played a single JRPG in awhile. Last one was FFX. (I hated FF13) Anyways, Im hearing a lot about this game? Would it be a good RPG to put me back in? :p

Having never played a Tales game but willing to jump into the series, I've got a question: which would be a better game to get my feet wet with: this game or Vesperia?

Proven

I'm lucky, when it comes to japanese and american voices. I tend to get enough time in between that I can never really tell when it's the same voice actor again and again. The personality of whatever character they're performing affects my perception or something.

For example, I watched Blue Exorcist, Guilty Crown, and played the JPN Graces demo, but didn't notice the same actor.

On the English side, the guy who did Lloyd in Symphonia also did Inuyasha and Robin from Teen Titans, iirc.

And then there's Persona 3/Catherine, which someone pointed out to me and it still took me a couple moments to get it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Having never played a Tales game but willing to jump into the series, I've got a question: which would be a better game to get my feet wet with: this game or Vesperia?
Vesperia is the more complete experience. Graces supposedly has the better battle system but I would imagine that Vesperia's stronger story, characters and other factors make it more friendly for new players. Plus Vesperia does a really good job of introducing all of the Tales series subsystems & battle systems for new fans (not sure how Graces does on this front).

. Plus Vesperia does a really good job of introducing all of the Tales series subsystems & battle systems for new fans (not sure how Graces does on this front).

While Vesperia does it in playable tutorials for most of their subsystems and battle quirks, Graces usually does all that in written tutorials that pop up after you first encounter it after that battle. They do playable tutorials for the big stuff like how to play, attack, defend, eleth rise, and that stuff.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Vesperia = Good narrative and characters, the game is well liked
Graces f = If you want a great battle system and an RPG that isn't too long (game is around 30-40 hrs + 5-10 hours for the future arc).

Is all the dialog voiced or just some of it?

Random Question: Can you preorder at Gamestop less than a week before? Game kind of snuck up on me. I don't care about the bonuses, rather I wouldn't want to miss it because it disappeared off shelves. I could just order from Amazon I suppose

Never played a Tales game before. Gotta start sometime! Plus how can I not support 8-4

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Instead we have Koyasu, Hirano, Wakamoto, etc doing the same stuff in every game. Need a loli? Let's get Kana Hanazawa.
Oh gosh, she's in everything. Ugh. And I thought people got sick of Hirano after a while.

Wakamoto is one of the few voices I don't mind hearing in everything. Sakurai's voice seems to be everywhere too, but I like his voice quite a bit.

I... actually think Cheria sounds cute as hell there. Maybe because Laura Bailey's one of the very few english VAs that I actually like.

That's a minor issue though. I'm ready to start a war if Pascal's VA does a shitty job.
After listening to it back a few times, I think I'm inclined to agree. The Japanese child Cheria was ok but not outstanding. Just the part when English Cheria yells reminds me a lot of some of the characters Bailey voiced whom I disliked or found irritating after a while.

Wendee Lee incoming!
NO.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh gosh, she's in everything. Ugh. And I thought people got sick of Hirano after a while.

Wakamoto is one of the few voices I don't mind hearing in everything. Sakurai's voice seems to be everywhere too, but I like his voice quite a bit.

After listening to it back a few times, I think I'm inclined to agree. The Japanese child Cheria was ok but not outstanding. Just the part when English Cheria yells reminds me a lot of some of the characters Bailey voiced whom I disliked or found irritating after a while.

NO.

I prefer the Japanese voice in this case. But that's because Eureka = win.

Top Bottom